Why We Should Ignore Sports Media - The Worst Take Ever on the Jamal Trade

19 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

There's NO doubt that the Jets are not interested in winning this year. You have to consider they are trading their very best player AFTER the draft. So the Jets have no opportunity to start to redesign the roster. They are stuck with a team where their defense revolved around Jamal Adams. Now that Adams in gone? There is going to be a tremendous learning curve for this defense to get back in the swing. So the writer has pegged the Jets when he says they are not interested in winning this season. The Jets roster is still GARBAGE. They still have, very little talent. ALL of the players that you might think are decent players came in through FA or trade. The Jets drafting had sucked for so long that you can't possibly win like that.

Assuming Joe Douglas actually knows what he's doing, it still won't be for at least a few years until can be competitive. Jamal Adams was an excellent player on a roster full of nobodies.

If the LB's are back healthy, their defense will be better this year without Adams than it was last year with him.  If Baby Huey starts living up to his billing AND the LB's are back healthy, the defense will be a lot better than last year. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 10:41 AM, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh no! The Jets traded a SS... There goes the season... They traded a guy that apparently no one on the team likes, or at least not enough to openly support him. A blatant self-promoter and budding drama queen who's antics probably appeal to people who fit the millennial stereotype (they come in all ages), but pretty much no one else. I doubt he will be missed by anyone other than those with a crush on him. The idea that Jamal's 'star power' was what won games is laughable. The idea that he is irreplaceable is laughable. The idea that the team may be better today due to shipping out a player, who while talented, may not have meshed with the team (addition through subtraction) isn't far fetched.    

Not that it matters but there still is not a single social media post from any Jet wishing Jamal well. No player begrudges any other player getting his $, but this was not entirely about that. Antonio Crormartie, may be , along with a request for some scratch to go down to Family Court to pay off some child support. 

• Upvote 2

If the LB's are back healthy, their defense will be better this year without Adams than it was last year with him.  If Baby Huey starts living up to his billing AND the LB's are back healthy, the defense will be a lot better than last year. 

Sorry bra ... I ain't buying... The defense will be awesome... But not better than it would have been had Adams been part of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

I mean, it’s Bleacher Report

Stop reading after the first paragraph, butthead with out a damn clue. He is a damn safety, might be the best, but what the hell does that have to do with Sam development. These people are jerks and is the main reason none of them work for any NFL team or the league itself.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Sorry bra ... I ain't buying... The defense will be awesome... But not better than it would have been had Adams been part of it.

Add Adams to the current defensive roster and it will be better.  I would not dispute that. 

Remove Adams and add CJ Mosley, & Williamson and the defense will be better in 2020 than it was in 2019.  Remove Adams, add CJ Mosley, & Williamson AND an improved Baby Huey and will will have an even better defense in 2020 than you had in 2019.  All without Adams.  I think what a lot of fans are not realizing is that Adam's role in the 2019 Jets defense was a band-aid that Greg Williams used to make up for a lack of conventional pass rush.  Greg Williams *LET* Adams make those plays.  

After that, consider 2021 and 2022 with all those draft picks.  

It is win now, win later and win for a long time.   

If they didn't want to win now, do you think JD would have used the first pick this year on a tackle while adding Fant, Van Roten and McDermott to the roster ??? They have an entirely new offensive line and a new WR that may be the steal of the draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Add Adams to the current defensive roster and it will be better.  I would not dispute that.  Remove Adams and add CJ Mosley, & Williamson and the defense will be better in 2020 than it was in 2019.  Remove Adams, add CJ Mosley, & Williamson AND an improved Baby Huey and will will have an even better defense in 2020 than you had in 2019.  All without Adams.  I think what a lot of fans are not realizing is that Adam's role in the 2019 Jets defense was a band-aid that Greg Williams used to make up for a lack of conventional pass rush.  Greg Williams *LET* Adams make those plays.   After that, consider 2021 and 2022 with all those draft picks.   It is win now, win later and win for a long time.   

If they didn't want to win now, do you think JD would have used the first pick this year on a tackle while adding Fant, Van Roten and McDermott to the roster ??? They have an entirely new offensive line and a new WR that may be the steal of the draft.

I don't agree that we're in win now mode. I believe we are laying a foundation just like we did when we drafted brick and mangold. we have two or three more drafts before we're going to be a powerhouse assuming that All those drafts go very well. I'm torn on whether I want to see the team make the playoffs this year against teams that have many players sitting out, or if I want to see it just because we haven't been in the playoffs forever. The worst thing in my mind would be if the front office believes that we are stronger than we actually are because of this year's results.  This essentially is what happened in 2010. We went when now mode before the team was actually ready for that. Hey if we had won the super bowl that year I would have never even mentioned it cuz it would have been awesome.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, jamesr said:

I think from Sam's perspective, those draft picks can't block for him / catch his passes / keep the opponent's scoring down. Future draft picks don't help a current player.

If we assume that the D is not as strong minus Jamal (regardless of whether you agree with this or not) then it makes the pressure higher on the offense - and mainly Sam as a result. So while not setting him up for failure, it's fair to say it puts more on his shoulders. IF - and this is open to debate - IF the defense is not as strong minus Jamal.

The one offsetting point is that we did spend much of our off-season specifically improving the supporting cast on offense. The o-line was quite heavily invested in; the key there will be how quickly they can start to perform as a single unit, especially with limited off-season time. Our WR corps should be better, but again the chemistry may take time to develop.

So I'd argue that there is more pressure on Sam's shoulders now - BUT we have taken reasonably strong steps to help him by strengthening the offense around him. Plus - this is Sam's third year, it's not unreasonable to expect your franchise QB to step up and start to take more ownership of the team.

Good thing they got a starting caliber safety to help keep the scoring down.  As far as blocking, catching passes etc, I don't see what Adams had to to with that but I do see the addition of McGovern,  Fant, Van Groten,  Becton, Clark etc along with Mims, Perine, Perriman should all help in those areas.   Not to mention Braden Mann to help with field position.   Astyn Davis and perhaps Bryce Hall may also make an impact along with the CB we traded for from the Colts.   Regarding pressure, if Sam is not ready to handle the pressure at this point in his career than we will drafting another quarterback next year and Morgan will be competing for the job next season. 

• Sympathy 1

IMO...Adams was looking for any excuse to try and get himself outta here...preferably to Cowboys.  Whether reasons are justified or selfish doesn't matter.  Using social media...and/or animated histrionic behavior...has become a norm for players...who find themselves in situations they don't like and want out.   Adams wanted out...and JD got the deal he wanted to justify a trade. 

JD got really good value for Adams. Two #1s and a #3 pick.  Plus a versatile capable replacement at Safety.  

This gives Jets 11 picks in the 2021 draft. Two...#1 and #3 picks.  Five...through rounds 1-3.  Seven...through rounds 1-4.  This is precious draft capital...to give Darnold weapons and upgrads on offense that has been long overdue.   A chance to correct the inbalances caused by Mac consistantly using #1 picks on defense.   Blindly following a so called "BPA" policy when Jets sorely needed a FQB...superior OL talent and offensive weapons.     

JD will continue doing what he did in the 2020 draft.  Move up and down...targeting specific players that are a balance between BPA and positional need.  You have to take this kind of approach...when your team hasn't made the playoffs in like a decade.  When a team is a perennial playoff contender...you have the luxury to focus more on BPA...especially in the early rounds.  FA is best way for a contending team to fill their needs.  Because veterans and their experience makes them more ready to contribute in getting a team into the Supe...more so then an inexperienced rookie would.

The rag writers and media in general...always play up the same theme about the Jets whenever the occasion arises...dysfunctional organization.  And JD...is the last hope...at least for me...to bring about order.  And erase the poor decisions made by ownership-FO collaborations of the past.  That's why he demanded a 6 year contract.  To give him time to remedy the ship...and set a course heading in the right direction. 

And that direction...is allowing Jets to compete for the AFCE...now!

IMO...Adams was looking for any excuse to try and get himself outta here...preferably to Cowboys.  Whether reasons are justified or selfish doesn't matter.  Using social media...and/or animated histrionic behavior...has become a norm for players...who find themselves in situations they don't like and want out.   Adams wanted out...and JD got the deal he wanted to justify a trade. 
JD got really good value for Adams. Two #1s and a #3 pick.  Plus a versatile capable replacement at Safety.  
This gives Jets 11 picks in the 2021 draft. Two...#1 and #3 picks.  Five...through rounds 1-3.  Seven...through rounds 1-4.  This is precious draft capital...to give Darnold weapons and upgrads on offense that has been long overdue.   A chance to correct the inbalances caused by Mac consistantly using #1 picks on defense.   Blindly following a so called "BPA" policy when Jets sorely needed a FQB...superior OL talent and offensive weapons.     
JD will continue doing what he did in the 2020 draft.  Move up and down...targeting specific players that are a balance between BPA and positional need.  You have to take this kind of approach...when your team hasn't made the playoffs in like a decade.  When a team is a perennial playoff contender...you have the luxury to focus more on BPA...especially in the early rounds.  FA is best way for a contending team to fill their needs.  Because veterans and their experience makes them more ready to contribute in getting a team into the Supe...more so then an inexperienced rookie would.
The rag writers and media in general...always play up the same theme about the Jets whenever the occasion arises...dysfunctional organization.  And JD...is the last hope...at least for me...to bring about order.  And erase the poor decisions made by ownership-FO collaborations of the past.  That's why he demanded a 6 year contract.  To give him time to remedy the ship...and set a course heading in the right direction. 
And that direction...is allowing Jets to compete for the AFCE...now!

Now ???

On 7/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, Augustiniak said:

If belichick did this everyone would be licking his butt.  I’m sure he’s thrilled that the jets have 2 extra firsts and won’t be tying up 15% of their cap space on a safety who can’t cover.

Bellichick did do it.  He traded Chandler Jones, a much more impactful player than Jamal, for a 2 along with a bust OT.  They traded the 2 for a 3 and a 4 drafted a starting guard and a back up WR who helped them win the SB in the same year as the trade.  Chandler Jones is ranked 15th in the top 100 and is arguably been the best pass rushing end in football since the trade.  

He also unloaded Seymour, who at the time was considered the best Defensive player in football.  They didn't miss a beat.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:34 PM, FidelioJet said:

Winning and losing matters when you’re the QB, especially a young one. Having a strong defense matters when you’re trying to win games. 
Knowing your franchise is tanking in your third and pivotal year matters. 

Hey man, hope you are having a great weekend. Personally I think it is more important what JD did to improve the offense around Sam.  How many of the draft picks were made to make an immediate impact on him and the offense.  How many of the FA signings were made to help him and the offense.

I think that an upgraded offense helps the defense by keeping them off the field and fresh more.  True, that trading away an all pro hurts but his position helps lessen that blow in addition to receiving a player back that can come in and start if needed.  Add to that the pieces we are getting back healthy on defense and our DC ability and I am hopeful that we will be just as good next year on defense.

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/27/2020 at 5:36 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

Ridiculous article. 

After a decade of mismanagement we just enjoyed the first truly foundation building offseason and this writer refuses to understand that. 

The shift away from valuing safeties and five techniques and towards building an offensive is the first sign in a long time that there’s a rational actor making decisions. 

Whatever. F*** ‘em. The Jets are headed in the right direction regardless of what’s written about them. 

I totally agree. The cleanup is has to come before the rebuild can start. JD got a late start due to the real dysfunction which Gase (who I dont love) identified when he called out MacCagnan. I understand, who is Gase to tell you whats right or wrong? Well in this case he was right, like him or not.

I love how the Adams people to try to tie Darnold to Adams, one has nothing to do with the other. They do that because you cant defend the trade from Adams side. Focus! What JD did for the OL was more important than bringing in a #1 WR, give Darnold better protection first and he will do most of the rest. Or hes not your guy. (I happen to think he is) The Jets are headed in the right direction but it takes time.

This season is about instilling the new culture and developing Darnold. How many more wins does Adams get you this season? Answer; not enough because hes a safety. Hell, you could argue Maye breaking up the last second pass against Pitts won you that game, which is one more than Adams won you. Sadly, we have lost so much over the years no one can recognize a good GM when they see him.