Irish Jet

***The Soccer (The Real Football) Thread***

8 hours ago, Tezza said:

Pretty stalemate game for Chelsea at the weekend ...Maguire the fridge was all over Azi and should of been a penalty.

Still buzzing over the Gers win against Standard Liege and the tic a few weeks back.

Just found out about this thread and glad that it's not all MLS, I'll definitely be chiming in and providing a bit of patter and banter!

Even Americans don't watch MLS...ūüėāūüėā

Do you remember this:

12 hours ago, Tezza said:

Pretty stalemate game for Chelsea at the weekend ...Maguire the fridge was all over Azi and should of been a penalty.

Still buzzing over the Gers win against Standard Liege and the tic a few weeks back.

Just found out about this thread and glad that it's not all MLS, I'll definitely be chiming in and providing a bit of patter and banter!

How VAR didn't call the Supertanker for a penalty is beyond me.

Just wish Defoe could have waited a week or so to score his 300th. 

• Like 1

As I said elsewhere, the Jets have Gase, United have Pogba.

Two good for nothing walking sacks of human excrement, strolling around stealing a living, as everything around them crashes and burns. And they don't give two f**ks because they know they're untouchable, because their bosses refuse to pull the trigger on them.

23 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Two good for nothing walking sacks of human excrement, strolling around stealing a living, as everything around them crashes and burns. And they don't give two f**ks because they know they're untouchable, because their bosses refuse to pull the trigger on them.

I take it you won't buy his personalized chess board? It's an adidas exclusive!!!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGXL2sGF8kH/

Meanwhile, in #TheGreatestLeagueInTheWorld, otherwise known as the League of Ireland, the FAI (lying cheating corrupt b*****ds that they are - even with John Delaney now hiding in a London bedsit) decided to open up applications for the First Division (known as the Graveyard, for reasons), giving teams a week's notice to do so.

Now this was clearly aimed at a team called Treaty United (based in Limerick, founded after the last Limerick team went t!ts up in 2019 leaving the area without a team - as so many Limerick teams have done so, yet all claim to be continuation of the original team - you never were, you lying sack of c***s.) Sorry, I digress.

So, this was designed for Treaty United to apply and join the league. And they have done so,

The feeling was the reason only a week's notice was to make sure nobody else could have time to get their people together and hold meetings to decide if  t was their club's turn to try and enter the madness,

However, St Francis (a Dublin based) team who left the league in 2002 decided to also apply- along with Wexford based Yola FC (No I don't know what the hell a Yola is either) who's main reason seems to be "We hate Wexford FC and we want to be the Wexford team for Wexford people - so give us their license and kick them out", and the best of all, the latest entrant: Irish Sea FC. Supposedly a couple of ex-Premier League players, and the couple who own the New Jersey Teamsters team - supposedly this consortium already tried to buy a team a few months ago. No idea where they'd even be based. In the sea? On a big boat? On a beach? A coastal county? Nobody knows. It's like "We've got a team, but we don't want to tell you where we've hidden them yet." And to top it off the two from New Jersey apparently have a tv show on the Discovery Channel stateside.

It's at times like this, I so wish my club was still in the league. Still, I'm hoping Longford beat Shels on Sunday. 

• Upvote 1

I don't remember a year when the EPL started off a season with so much apparent parity among so many different teams.

If the kids at Chelsea can learn to play just a teeny little bit of defense.....

2020 just keeps being 2020. Scotland qualify for a major tournament.

Though watching their keeper wait after making that save to see if the ref says it's okay was ridiculous. VAR needs to go.

3 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

2020 just keeps being 2020. Scotland qualify for a major tournament.

Though watching their keeper wait after making that save to see if the ref says it's okay was ridiculous. VAR needs to go.

Bring back Archie Gemmill :)

17 hours ago, EM31 said:

Bring back Archie Gemmill :)

Who was home before the postcards, like every other Scotland team.

Though given the fact their final group game is in Hampden, this time they could be home before the Instagram stories are posted.

17 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Who was home before the postcards, like every other Scotland team.

Though given the fact their final group game is in Hampden, this time they could be home before the Instagram stories are posted.

That was a dangerous Scotland team.  They were also a little bit screwed over by the group that they landed in.

With all of that said I get your point.  It has been a very long road for the long time faithful.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:35 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

The audacity of this ****. Every time he goes on international duty the same sh*t. He shouldn't be allowed back in the building. Imagine being a teammate of this guy, I hope Bruno snaps him in training, one of the few at the club who seems to give a sh*t.

But Jack Grealish though - Suddenly England's best player. Did I call it or what? Should have spent whatever it took but nah the Glazers and Woodward too busy complaining about the impact of Covid while still making sure to collect the dividend. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

The audacity of this ****. Every time he goes on international duty the same sh*t. He shouldn't be allowed back in the building. Imagine being a teammate of this guy, I hope Bruno snaps him in training, one of the few at the club who seems to give a sh*t.

But Jack Grealish though - Suddenly England's best player. Did I call it or what? Should have spent whatever it took but nah the Glazers and Woodward too busy complaining about the impact of Covid while still making sure to collect the dividend. 

Man Utd isn't seen as a top club anymore. The younger generation of players - with their very sharp agents in the background - are always looking at Man Utd as a 'stepping stone'. This is exactly how Pogba has treated the club, a springboard, a rest-stop before the inevitable move to Real Madrid or one of the 'bigger clubs'. 

Man Utd, for all of its (quickly forgotten) success, is now mostly known for Cristiano Ronaldo. Pogba was signed mainly for his social media presence. The club should focus on signing younger players that actually want to be there. 

5 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Man Utd isn't seen as a top club anymore. The younger generation of players - with their very sharp agents in the background - are always looking at Man Utd as a 'stepping stone'. This is exactly how Pogba has treated the club, a springboard, a rest-stop before the inevitable move to Real Madrid or one of the 'bigger clubs'. 

Man Utd, for all of its (quickly forgotten) success, is now mostly known for Cristiano Ronaldo. Pogba was signed mainly for his social media presence. The club should focus on signing younger players that actually want to be there. 

They've done that in the past, bought players primarily to sell shirts in their home countries, Quinton Fortune, Eric Djemba-Djemba-Djemba-Djemba-Djemba, Dong Fangzhou. The reason Pogba went to United because he and his agent would make more money from that move than any other move for the forseeable future. Basically to squeeze out as much money he can, because he didn't get it from them when Fergie called his bluff in his first spell at OT.  And if Ole had any balls, he'd have done what Arsenal did with Ozil, let him ******* rot and ship him out in the next available window. 

As for Grealish, that's the way it's been for United, pretend they're after all these players, lowball their clubs, spend weeks slightly upping and upping the money bit by bit. And then blame the other club because they didn't pay in the end. It's United's version of the Ryan Fitzpatrick cycle.

Miss out on Champions league -> Spend loads of money -> Make Champions League -> Cut spending ->Scrape into Champions League -> Cut spending a bit more -> Miss out on Champions League...

That's all they care about these days, making the CL - no interest in paying the extra to win the league, after all, you still get in the CL if you finish 4th. The Arsenal Way. Can't be cutting into the dividend the Glazer scum pay to themselves, can we?

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

They've done that in the past, bought players primarily to sell shirts in their home countries, Quinton Fortune, Eric Djemba-Djemba-Djemba-Djemba-Djemba, Dong Fangzhou. The reason Pogba went to United because he and his agent would make more money from that move than any other move for the forseeable future. Basically to squeeze out as much money he can, because he didn't get it from them when Fergie called his bluff in his first spell at OT.  And if Ole had any balls, he'd have done what Arsenal did with Ozil, let him ******* rot and ship him out in the next available window. 

As for Grealish, that's the way it's been for United, pretend they're after all these players, lowball their clubs, spend weeks slightly upping and upping the money bit by bit. And then blame the other club because they didn't pay in the end. It's United's version of the Ryan Fitzpatrick cycle.

Miss out on Champions league -> Spend loads of money -> Make Champions League -> Cut spending ->Scrape into Champions League -> Cut spending a bit more -> Miss out on Champions League...

That's all they care about these days, making the CL - no interest in paying the extra to win the league, after all, you still get in the CL if you finish 4th. The Arsenal Way. Can't be cutting into the dividend the Glazer scum pay to themselves, can we?

But those guys are from a different era. They weren't as big as pogba currently is. The commercial aspect looms larger than ever. Fans these days don't watch as many games, but they watch all the instagram nonsense. Pogba built his profile on his social media 'coolness', which i would argue is independent of his on-field performances. 

In defense of Woodward and co, it's pointless to over-pay footballers. Highly paid players don't guarantee trophies, look at City's quest for a Champions League. Man utd, while wealthy, cannot simply burn money from a country's sovereign wealth fund. 

A big club cannot act desperate. It must be able to do business on its own terms. Players and their agents, are more powerful than ever before, they're capable of fleecing employers like never before. Players nowadays get paid for potential, and not for performance. It's a big difference. Smart clubs cannot be over-paying for the latest flash in the pan, it doesn't make any sense from either a business or football standpoint. 

Fans demand movement and change as a knee-jerk response to bad results, but they forget that there are only a handful of truly world class footballers and managers out there, most of which are taken. The younger ones, with big potential, as more easily identified than ever. Very difficult to create a competitive advantage. 

Its like i was saying earlier, clubs might as well create multinational, transatlantic pipelines for players straight out the womb. Man City could own a player through 3 different phases of his career, from the age of 7 til the age of 30.

If players have too much control over their salaries, then it can easily be said that the modern day transfer market is broken, and in need of fixing. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

And on George Best's anniversary too.

Both gave so much to the game of football that when their football stopped, they had nothing to live for. 

That's when the alcoholism & drug addiction begins. You should always be prepared to move on...move on to another life, the next life.