***The Soccer (The Real Football) Thread***

Newcastle United just got bought by Saudi Arabia.

They’re now pretty much the richest club in football by some way, their owners are worth like £260 billion.

Mike Ashley was a scumbag but this represents a new low for football and my dystopian vision of European football becoming a play thing for states isn’t far from reality.

Hilariously the only grounds under which the PL opppsed the takeover of human rights abusing trash who oppose every value they claim to hold was broadcasting rights of Bein Sports. They’d let the Nazi’s run a club if it paid them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah looked a great goal in real time.

Some penalty from Mbappe after missing in the Euro’s. 

If you have the skill, top corner penalty with pace  is the way to go.  Beautifully taken.   Great that Deschamps went back to him after that awful miss in the Euros.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, Irish Jet said:

Newcastle United just got bought by Saudi Arabia.

They’re now pretty much the richest club in football by some way, their owners are worth like £260 billion.

Mike Ashley was a scumbag but this represents a new low for football and my dystopian vision of European football becoming a play thing for states isn’t far from reality.

Hilariously the only grounds under which the PL opppsed the takeover of human rights abusing trash who oppose every value they claim to hold was broadcasting rights of Bein Sports. They’d let the Nazi’s run a club if it paid them.

And the guy in charge is the guy who ordered that journal;ist to be butchered.

Newcastle fans reaction? "Lol Sunderland"

Seriously, what the hell is Bernhalter doing? Played six games in the World Cup qualifiers, and has handed out debuts to TWENTY FIVE players so far? What part of "Put out your strongest most settled team in order to qualify as quickly as possible" does he not get? He had the Nations Cup, and the Gold Cup to do all this experimenting.

Or does he get a bonus in his paycheck for every MLS player he puts out there? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Seriously, what the hell is Bernhalter doing? Played six games in the World Cup qualifiers, and has handed out debuts to TWENTY FIVE players so far? What part of "Put out your strongest most settled team in order to qualify as quickly as possible" does he not get? He had the Nations Cup, and the Gold Cup to do all this experimenting.

Or does he get a bonus in his paycheck for every MLS player he puts out there? 

The Panama game was a joke. 0 shots on goal to try and save legs and they played terrified.

They FINALLY have talent. They should always be attacking and let the chips fall where they may. Replacing turner with steffan was stupid. That was an awful goal he let in.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BP said:

The Panama game was a joke. 0 shots on goal to try and save legs and they played terrified.

They FINALLY have talent. They should always be attacking and let the chips fall where they may. Replacing turner with steffan was stupid. That was an awful goal he let in.

Hey now, Turner plays in New England.  ?

I thought I read somewhere the decision was because Turner plays and Stefan rides the bench at Man City.  Turner has been good otherwise.  

I agree he is tinkering too much.  I agree with sending Weston back to Italy during the last window, but why wasn't Pepi playing?  He is 18.  he can hadle 3 games in 7 or 8 days.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PFSIKH said:

Hey now, Turner plays in New England.  ?

I thought I read somewhere the decision was because Turner plays and Stefan rides the bench at Man City.  Turner has been good otherwise.  

I agree he is tinkering too much.  I agree with sending Weston back to Italy during the last window, but why wasn't Pepi playing?  He is 18.  he can hadle 3 games in 7 or 8 days.

I like Turner better than Steffan lol and  when Reyna and Pulisic come back next month I think the tinkering should be finished (hopefully)

on a beside Brenden Aronson’s younger brother Paxten  looks like a stud too. He’s only 18. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/24/2021 at 9:22 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Swap Saleh for Solksjaer?

Says it all that he’s still here for another week. The standards in the club are shocking. Ole has been a PR dream for the club to this point and he’s managed to curb expectations until this summer’s signings demanded more.

Conte would definitely be my choice to replace him. He’ll not tolerate the complacency that’s set in at the club. Will target more than 4th place.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Says it all that he’s still here for another week. The standards in the club are shocking. Ole has been a PR dream for the club to this point and he’s managed to curb expectations until this summer’s signings demanded more.

Conte would definitely be my choice to replace him. He’ll not tolerate the complacency that’s set in at the club. Will target more than 4th place.

Mourinho redux for the win!  (spoken as a Chelsea fan)

On a more serious note I wonder if they got rid of David Moyes a bit too soon

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Mourinho redux for the win!  (spoken as a Chelsea fan)

On a more serious note I wonder if they got rid of David Moyes a bit too soon

I've thought that at times, after all, the title winning team Fergie left him with was quite possibly the weakest team to ever win a Premier League.

On the other hand, the game against Fulham where they put in 4,503 crosses in 90 minutes.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I've thought that at times, after all, the title winning team Fergie left him with was quite possibly the weakest team to ever win a Premier League.

On the other hand, the game against Fulham where they put in 4,503 crosses in 90 minutes.

Got one great year out of Van Persie before his legs went.

Cristiano Ronaldo: Are Man Utd being helped or hindered by Portugal legend?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59055179

Interesting read on United and the impact of Ronaldo. I am curious to get the take of the United faithful on these questions.

My own opinions on United have not changed since early in the year where I thought the manager was the biggest impediment to any return to the top of the European pile but it is not 100% clear that bringing in a Thomas Tuchel-like replacement manager would result in an immediate change of fortunes the same way that replacing Frank Lampard did at Chelsea.  Not sure the current core group of players can be fashioned into an effective force by anyone.  Maybe yes maybe no.

On 10/28/2021 at 2:58 PM, EM31 said:

Cristiano Ronaldo: Are Man Utd being helped or hindered by Portugal legend?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59055179

Interesting read on United and the impact of Ronaldo. I am curious to get the take of the United faithful on these questions.

My own opinions on United have not changed since early in the year where I thought the manager was the biggest impediment to any return to the top of the European pile but it is not 100% clear that bringing in a Thomas Tuchel-like replacement manager would result in an immediate change of fortunes the same way that replacing Frank Lampard did at Chelsea.  Not sure the current core group of players can be fashioned into an effective force by anyone.  Maybe yes maybe no.

That article aged badly. Carried us to a win today with an unbelievable goal and a great assist.

Ronaldo was never the problem. He was actually decent against Liverpool and caused them problems, one of the few. 

The points of that article are ridiculous and there’s a lot of correlation being mistaken for causation. Ronaldo not pressing isn’t new - The issues has been surrounding him with other, lesser players who also don’t work out of possession. Pogba probably the biggest offender. 

The squad is good. There’s quality everywhere but some bad characters who think they’re better than are, Ole has appeased them and it’s left the team unbalanced. Today is how he should he playing given how limited he is. Solidify the team and let the attacking talent bail him out. If some players are upset so be it. Thay squad has been overdue a purge for a long time.

Ole will be here forever. Literally every time he’s on the brink he stumbles into a performance and the cycle continues.

8 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

That article aged badly. Carried us to a win today with an unbelievable goal and a great assist.

Ronaldo was never the problem. He was actually decent against Liverpool and caused them problems, one of the few. 

The points of that article are ridiculous and there’s a lot of correlation being mistaken for causation. Ronaldo not pressing isn’t new - The issues has been surrounding him with other, lesser players who also don’t work out of possession. Pogba probably the biggest offender. 

The squad is good. There’s quality everywhere but some bad characters who think they’re better than are, Ole has appeased them and it’s left the team unbalanced. Today is how he should he playing given how limited he is. Solidify the team and let the attacking talent bail him out. If some players are upset so be it. Thay squad has been overdue a purge for a long time.

Ole will be here forever. Literally every time he’s on the brink he stumbles into a performance and the cycle continues.

Not so much bad characters as not currently playing together consistently well.  There is obviously still time for the team to gel but having a competitive top of the table is a double-edged sword.  Yes, nobody likely to run away with it but once you do go on a run yourself you will  have to pass ALL the other top teams.

As for Ronny,  Obviously a great performance today.  Nobody is suggesting he is done just questions about how the rest of the cast are going to get their looks.

It is going to be a good year.  As a Chelsea fan I think it will be City in the end this year but there are enough good teams in the chasing group that one or two of them are going to make a strong run.  If Chelsea's defense keeps on being this good then maybe it will be them but it is a very long campaign.

Nuno sacked. Conte off to Spurs. 

I am f*cking livid about this. 

The managers we've missed out on because of board incompetence is staggering. There's no way Conte took that job unless it was indicated that United weren't interested. There's no comparison between the state of the clubs, as Saturday showed. He probably put out feelers and was told straight up it wasn't going to happen. As I said the board fears anyone with ambition, they fear someone who'll call out their bullsh*t and Conte is that guy more than anyone. 

Klopp, Poch, Tuchel also all could have been here if we'd have cut bait when it was obvious the incumbent wasn't making it. I'm pretty close to done with this club - I feel myself or just about any random United fan could do a better job running it. It's infuriating - No standards. Just the same bullsh*t and we predictably continue to dwell in mediocrity. Four of the best managers in the world in the PL - arguably the four best - and United have a f*cking amateur who wouldn't get another job outside of Scandinavia. 

• Upvote 1

We just cannot be rid of Ole. It’s just unbelievable at this point. It actually lessens the enjoyment of scoring. 

@EM31 it may be that Ronaldo is hindering United after all but it’s only because he’s keeping our hapless manager in a job. I expect the Glazers will be lining up the most qualified yes men they can find. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

We just cannot be rid of Ole. It’s just unbelievable at this point. It actually lessens the enjoyment of scoring. 

@EM31 it may be that Ronaldo is hindering United after all but it’s only because he’s keeping our hapless manager in a job. I expect the Glazers will be lining up the most qualified yes men they can find. 

Enjoy the ride. It is pretty remarkable right now.

Say what you will about Abramovich and his sometimes overly quick trigger finger, He does not allow a situation to fester.

• 2 weeks later...

Berhalter is a moron. He’s starting zach Stefan (who hasn’t been playing much for his club) over Matt turner who’s been playing every game for his club and has played great for the us in the past.

I don’t get this, it’s like benching a hot goalie in the nhl playoffs. And he left Konrad delefuente off the squad for a scrub mls player.

Berhalter has to go.

11 hours ago, BP said:

Berhalter is a moron. He’s starting zach Stefan (who hasn’t been playing much for his club) over Matt turner who’s been playing every game for his club and has played great for the us in the past.

I don’t get this, it’s like benching a hot goalie in the nhl playoffs. And he left Konrad delefuente off the squad for a scrub mls player.

Berhalter has to go.

Very happy to be proven wrong lol