***The Soccer (The Real Football) Thread***

19 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

"Ole in you say?"

skysports-harry-maguire-goal_5580984.jpg

That gesture fairly backfired on the monolith, didn't it?

Ole gone. Of course, United being United, no plan to have someone lined up to take over. The creatures had been in touch with Klopp before Rodgers got the chop, City had made it obvious Pep would replace Pellegrini first chance they got. United? "We'll let Carrick be pre-interim manager while we look for an interim manager and when we've got an interim manager to replace the pre-interim manager, we'll then look for another manager to replace the interim manager, unless Carrick does a good enough job as pre-interim manager to become the interim manager."

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roddy Collins linked with the job.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:49 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

That gesture fairly backfired on the monolith, didn't it?

Ole gone. Of course, United being United, no plan to have someone lined up to take over. The creatures had been in touch with Klopp before Rodgers got the chop, City had made it obvious Pep would replace Pellegrini first chance they got. United? "We'll let Carrick be pre-interim manager while we look for an interim manager and when we've got an interim manager to replace the pre-interim manager, we'll then look for another manager to replace the interim manager, unless Carrick does a good enough job as pre-interim manager to become the interim manager."

At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised to see Roddy Collins linked with the job.

I actually burst out laughing at that. More qualified than what we have now. 

They're apparently going to push for Pochettino who's open to leaving PSG immediately according to reliable sources. If they knew that was the case all along then I'll somewhat forgive passing up Conte, although I'd imagine that they just stumbled onto it. No excuse whatsoever for not doing this weeks ago.

He's probably the best choice and there's been a mutual attraction there for years. He was the one they wanted before they stupidly fell for Ole's fast start. The fact that he'd walk out of a CL contender with that front three speaks to how much he wants the job, I'd say he's had ideas about what he'd do with United for some time. Zidane to PSG and Poch to United would make sense for all involved. Zidane is better equipped to man manage egos and Poch is a guy who can rebuild a side in his image. 

They need to get it done now. Give PSG whatever they want, pay up his contract, give them Pogba, do whatever it takes. He'd have a free hit this season where he can evaluate the squad and blame any and all failures on the previous regime. Letting Carrick see out the season would be such a waste. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:57 PM, EM31 said:

Let's wait on any United turnaround until after the Chelsea game next weekend

Doubtful. They still have the same coaches who've been training the team for years in charge. The only change is Ole's gone.

It looks like Pochettino may be coming in but he'd not be in charge until the Arsenal game at the earliest. 

Chelsea will destroy this United team.  

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Doubtful. They still have the same coaches who've been training the team for years in charge. The only change is Ole's gone.

It looks like Pochettino may be coming in but he'd not be in charge until the Arsenal game at the earliest. 

Chelsea will destroy this United team.  

From your lips to God's ears but I do not think this incarnation of Chelsea are that ruthlessly methodical.  Not yet anyway. So there is concern that the change at United, even if it has not been completed will lead to one of those extra effort performances that the United team has shown itself to be capable of.

Pochetitino is a good choice but I fear they will have to give him full control (buying the groceries) in order to land him and I wonder why PSG locked him down in that respect.

Messi is just killing PSG. He wont even jog. He wont show for his teammates when they’re in possession. People say Ronaldo is lazy but next to this guy he’s the f*cking Road Runner. Laziest player in football.

PSG wont win anything with that front 3, they just wont put in the work and will get exposed by bigger sides.

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

Messi is just killing PSG. He wont even jog. He wont show for his teammates when they’re in possession. People say Ronaldo is lazy but next to this guy he’s the f*cking Road Runner. Laziest player in football.

PSG wont win anything with that front 3, they just wont put in the work and will get exposed by bigger sides.

City strangled them slowly today.  The only interest came when PSG went ahead against the run of play.

I wonder how many EPL teams legitimately belong in the top-32 CL places?

<edited to add>

Messi, Mbappe and Neymar all getting killed on the CBS post game show.

"No team can afford to carry one passenger at the top levels of the game let alone carrying three passengers"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

City strangled them slowly today.  The only interest came when PSG went ahead against the run of play.

I wonder how many EPL teams legitimately belong in the top-32 CL places?

<edited to add>

Messi, Mbappe and Neymar all getting killed on the CBS post game show.

"No team can afford to carry one passenger at the top levels of the game let alone carrying three passengers"

The PL is really strong. They were badly off the pace for a few years but had an influx of great managers with Pochettino, Jose, Pep, Klopp etc. and you can see the difference it makes. It's why I'm so depressed that United spent the last 3 years with Ole who just wasn't at that level. 

I feel bad for Pochettino (the PSG manager) - This side is the antithesis of what he wants from his teams. His Southampton and Spurs sides would run teams off the park and press from the front relentlessly. It's easy to see why he wants to leave despite PSG's big names. They just wont do the work and he has to appease their egos or he'll get sacked. I get the feeling Poch couldn't drop those players if he wanted to. 

Ralf Rangnick in at United. The guy Jurgen Klopp has been ripping off for a decade.

With a long term guy unavailable it is the perfect pick. Finally the club is doing something right and I can only Woodward’s influence has waned as he’s too incompetent for this.

Can’t wait to see what he can do. Wont turn around overnight and this season may still be lost but it’s a step in the right direction. He’ll set the foundations and it should be a smooth transition to a Pochettino or ten Hag in the summer. 

Hopefully he runs some of these lazy ****ers into the ground. I want Martial and Pogba doing sprints every day until they puke.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Ralf Rangnick in at United. The guy Jurgen Klopp has been ripping off for a decade.

With a long term guy unavailable it is the perfect pick. Finally the club is doing something right and I can only Woodward’s influence has waned as he’s too incompetent for this.

Can’t wait to see what he can do. Wont turn around overnight and this season may still be lost but it’s a step in the right direction. He’ll set the foundations and it should be a smooth transition to a Pochettino or ten Hag in the summer. 

Hopefully he runs some of these lazy ****ers into the ground. I want Martial and Pogba doing sprints every day until they puke.

Congrats on getting your iManager.  There are real Tuchel-like possibilities in here for you guys I think.  Coming in to a team mid-season and with very moderate expectations for the current campaign is a dangerous combination.  When you add that to a spot in the CL last 16 and a roster with as much top-end talent as anyone in the world I think United become a very "tough out" from here on in. 

I wish it had happened a couple of weeks from now.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:03 PM, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Meanwhile, in #TheGreatestLeagueInTheWorld, otherwise known as the League of Ireland, the FAI (lying cheating corrupt b*****ds that they are - even with John Delaney now hiding in a London bedsit) decided to open up applications for the First Division (known as the Graveyard, for reasons), giving teams a week's notice to do so.

Now this was clearly aimed at a team called Treaty United (based in Limerick, founded after the last Limerick team went t&#33;ts up in 2019 leaving the area without a team - as so many Limerick teams have done so, yet all claim to be continuation of the original team - you never were, you lying sack of c***s.) Sorry, I digress.

So, this was designed for Treaty United to apply and join the league. And they have done so,

The feeling was the reason only a week's notice was to make sure nobody else could have time to get their people together and hold meetings to decide if  t was their club's turn to try and enter the madness,

However, St Francis (a Dublin based) team who left the league in 2002 decided to also apply- along with Wexford based Yola FC (No I don't know what the hell a Yola is either) who's main reason seems to be "We hate Wexford FC and we want to be the Wexford team for Wexford people - so give us their license and kick them out", and the best of all, the latest entrant: Irish Sea FC. Supposedly a couple of ex-Premier League players, and the couple who own the New Jersey Teamsters team - supposedly this consortium already tried to buy a team a few months ago. No idea where they'd even be based. In the sea? On a big boat? On a beach? A coastal county? Nobody knows. It's like "We've got a team, but we don't want to tell you where we've hidden them yet." And to top it off the two from New Jersey apparently have a tv show on the Discovery Channel stateside.

It's at times like this, I so wish my club was still in the league. Still, I'm hoping Longford beat Shels on Sunday. 

And with Cabinteely (a team with no ground and a couple of fans and their dog who joined the league five years ago) buying Bray Wanderers (have a ground, plenty of fans, and have been in the league for decades) with the plan on merging/subsuming/taking over/ ingesting, it means there's going to be a vacancy next year, and the fun starts all over again! Except thsi time it'll probably be rigged so the winners will be Shamrock Rovers B - for the third time.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like City's to lose now.

And has a managing appointment ever been as universally hated by a fanbase as Benitez's arrival was by Everton? Got a (very drunk) call from a friend who's an Everton fan, him and a couple of other Everton supporting friends threw a party this afternoon to celebrate Paella T*ts's sacking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...