State of The Jets

Smashmouth

There are also a few other x-factors not mentioned, like Zuniga being more like a real Pass rusher than Polite was another Mac Mistake. At WR I though V. Smith looked good and can continue to help the passing game. Also, hoping for Roten do do well and be the starting Right Guard making Winters expendable to get more cap $ like 6-8M back for us. Heck, I am really pulling for our Punter Mann. As you said if we need to play for a while as we are gelling and learning and must be more ball control with D, there is nothing believe it or not that helps that more than having a great punter. The less field to go on O and cover on D will be tremendous. I'll stay positive and figure either Fickens or Mayer at K will get the job done. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

There are also a few other x-factors not mentioned, like Zuniga being more like a real Pass rusher than Polite was another Mac Mistake. At WR I though V. Smith looked good and can continue to help the passing game. Also, hoping for Roten do do well and be the starting Right Guard making Winters expendable to get more cap $ like 6-8M back for us. Heck, I am really pulling for our Punter Mann. As you said if we need to play for a while as we are gelling and learning and must be more ball control with D, there is nothing believe it or not that helps that more than having a great punter. The less field to go on O and cover on D will be tremendous. I'll stay positive and figure either Fickens or Mayer at K will get the job done. 

great Point I totally forgot about Zuniga. 

Also Im not in the winters is such a bad player camp I think Winters was surrounded by total crap and sometimes, actually all the time a OL need to work in unison so its hard to pinpoint terrible play when we kept trying to plug in different guys due to terrible play and injuries. Just a few short years ago Winters stated coming on and I think the guy was playing with a torn bicep or something like that. I think he can be a player given a good surrounding cast and that goes for the entire line.

I missed a lot of players you are mentioning here for sure V Smith being one of them and Roten . If this team can establish the run and control games with defense early in the year and the offense sync's up we could be a lot better than people think and we WILL be that sleeper we usually see one or 2 teams become almost every year.   

Good example Just look at San Fran 2 years ago I think we are right on track for what that team did if Gase can be as good as Shannahan. 

When I said Darnold was the Key..... Gase has to be mentioned in that light as well because you are not going to win in this league without a good coach I don't care how talented your roster is.

Thanks for the great reply Unknown :)

• Upvote 1

I am 100% expecting that the Patriot are taking a massive step back, the Bills are setting up for a letdown season, and the Dolphins are garbage. The biggest concern is whether the Jets can take the step forward that we've been long waiting for. We do have the best QB in the division and are much improved from last season.

Every year is, but this season in particular is going to be really pivotal for the Jets in terms of where the next few years are going to go.

• Upvote 3

I look at this team and think of the state of the franchise over the next few years...the only thing I can think of is....we’re ****ed.

All kidding aside. I think our cap situation is very fortuitous. Teams are going to be forced to trade and cut players to get under the cap next year. I think we’ll be able to land a couple of premium players next year. And with 10 draft picks including 5 in the first 3 rounds, I think Douglas has set the stage for a nice run.

I say go with what we have this year. If we play a complete season, I’m think 6-8 wins. But this year is just about evaluating Darnold and Gase. I expect both to show well. We still don’t have a great roster and our schedule is much tougher than last year.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We improved at almost every spot.

We drafted well.

Our losses, including Adams, shouldn't really hurt us overall.

And Darnold won't have Mono.

COVID notwithstanding, we have every reason to believe the 2020 Jets will be materially better on the field than the 2019 Jets.

Yes, our schedule is "harder", but who really knows.  That stat is based on last year...no one is what they were last year.

We have every reason to be optimistic about 2020.  Presuming we get a season.  

Well said.  Plus we are set up great for the next couple drafts.  We obviously have the Adams pick, we also have the the other pick we got from the Leo trade, and JD set us up to get a few comp picks.  A lot of flexibility  to really build this team with talent and depth 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Simple, really.

We went 7-9 last year completely injured which means we would have gone at least 10-6 if we were healthy.  Gase proved he's a good HC.  Darnold proved he is a good QB.  Both will get better this year.  Gregg had an amazing year as DC, I think he can repeat.  ST's were a joke, we've got the kicking game fixed, that's a major boost.  

This offseason, we improved our OL, we had a nice draft, and between players returning from injury and new acquisitions we'll replace Adams and Anderson's production and offer Darnold the type of protection he hasn't seen since USC.

Schedule's tougher but the Patriots are stepping way back and the Bills aren't any better, so I see the same 10-6 as last year but this year it's enough to win the division.  

New York Jets 2020 AFC East Champions.

SAR I

My only point of concern with this is that while the OL has probably improved, I am far from thinking it's anywhere near a finished product.  It could have improved to 'below average'.  I think our fortunes are tied to how well it performs this year and I have absolutely no clue what to expect.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Simple, really.

We went 7-9 last year completely injured which means we would have gone at least 10-6 if we were healthy.  Gase proved he's a good HC.  Darnold proved he is a good QB.  Both will get better this year.  Gregg had an amazing year as DC, I think he can repeat.  ST's were a joke, we've got the kicking game fixed, that's a major boost.  

This offseason, we improved our OL, we had a nice draft, and between players returning from injury and new acquisitions we'll replace Adams and Anderson's production and offer Darnold the type of protection he hasn't seen since USC.

Schedule's tougher but the Patriots are stepping way back and the Bills aren't any better, so I see the same 10-6 as last year but this year it's enough to win the division.  

New York Jets 2020 AFC East Champions.

SAR I

If you're going to fudge our record, why not make us 16-0?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

It's absolutely ridiculous to go into a season with a 3rd year QB and continue to believe you can't grab the division by the balls.

Josh Allen, Cam "injury dump" Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

We have a young accurate QB that had MONO last year & we finished 6-2! He can throw running left, running right, he's got a great feel in the pocket, he has just enough running ability to extend drives, he had zero support from the running game. 

Based on what happened last year it would be IMPOSSIBLE for this team to not be greatly improved! Imexpecting nothing less than winning this division.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

I am 100% expecting that the Patriot are taking a massive step back, the Bills are setting up for a letdown season, and the Dolphins are garbage. The biggest concern is whether the Jets can take the step forward that we've been long waiting for. We do have the best QB in the division and are much improved from last season.

Every year is, but this season in particular is going to be really pivotal for the Jets in terms of where the next few years are going to go.

With GW having all the missing tools in his box back healthy, I think you are going to see packages thrown aty Allen that will make his head spin!! Having Diggs and Brown on the outside will present challenges, but will he have the time for those deep routes to develop. I sure as hell hope not. Inside push needs to be there and the Edge guys need to arrive quickly. Shadow Allen with our new "Peanut"and we should be good.. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

My only point of concern with this is that while the OL has probably improved, I am far from thinking it's anywhere near a finished product.  It could have improved to 'below average'.  I think our fortunes are tied to how well it performs this year and I have absolutely no clue what to expect.

It simply has to be better than last year, no?  The OL was the absolute abyss last season and Darnold still figured out a way to go 7-5.  So with a good OL, watch out.  Hell, even an average OL, watch out.

Sam Darnold is the real deal.  Like Joe Montana and Tom Brady before him, he can overcome the deficiencies of a substandard OL and absolutely thrive behind a good one.

SAR I 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

It's absolutely ridiculous to go into a season with a 3rd year QB and continue to believe you can't grab the division by the balls.

Josh Allen, Cam "injury dump" Newton, Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

We have a young accurate QB that had MONO last year & we finished 6-2! He can throw running left, running right, he's got a great feel in the pocket, he has just enough running ability to extend drives, he had zero support from the running game. 

Based on what happened last year it would be IMPOSSIBLE for this team to not be greatly improved! Imexpecting nothing less than winning this division.

Exactly.  A little refresher, for the non-believers.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Honestly I am having a hard time getting excited for this season.   When it is all said and done I don’t think we are going to be able to get a lot of answers for this team.   The processes are going to be so different, the preparation is going to be so different and I don’t think we are going to see anything close to a full season of football.   Going to be hard to prepare the rookies and get them game ready with this type of camp, going to be hard to get a new O-line prepared and ready.   We’ll see, but it’s not looking very good right now.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Honestly I am having a hard time getting excited for this season.   When it is all said and done I don’t think we are going to be able to get a lot of answers for this team.   The processes are going to be so different, the preparation is going to be so different and I don’t think we are going to see anything close to a full season of football.   Going to be hard to prepare the rookies and get them game ready with this type of camp, going to be hard to get a new O-line prepared and ready.   We’ll see, but it’s not looking very good right now.  

It's going to take time for Becton and Mims to develop and for the offensive line to become a unit as opposed to a collection of parts.  Longer than most teams. 

But none of that precludes Darnold from balling out.  That's as good of a reason to be excited about 2020 as any.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

It simply has to be better than last year, no?  The OL was the absolute abyss last season and Darnold still figured out a way to go 7-5.  So with a good OL, watch out.  Hell, even an average OL, watch out.

Sam Darnold is the real deal.  Like Joe Montana and Tom Brady before him, he can overcome the deficiencies of a substandard OL and absolutely thrive behind a good one.

SAR I 

Sam is the absolute wildcard of this season.  We have a brand new OL and a crazy offseason so they won't have time to gel at first.  We also lost our top WR and have a rookie (though at least a highly touted one).  Le'veon didn't do much last year and we added Frank Gore and the rookie RB Perine.  The good news is that Sam is in his 3rd year now.  The game is probably slowing down for him by now.  I guess we'll see how much Sam can overcome and how quickly he can overcome it.  If he can pull out games for us then a division title is a possibility.  If there are just too many moving pieces, though, I could see another 7-9 year.

My state of the jets.

The jets finally have a franchise Qb in Darnold.

The jets finally have a quality GM.

The only issue is that have a lousy head coach.  I have no issue with Gases demeanour his relation to players, his 'leadership'

He is simply a guy who hangs his hat on the offensive side of the ball and his results have been beyond terrible.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

My state of the jets.

The jets finally have a franchise Qb in Darnold.

The jets finally have a quality GM.

The only issue is that have a lousy head coach.  I have no issue with Gases demeanour his relation to players, his 'leadership'

He is simply a guy who hangs his hat on the offensive side of the ball and his results have been beyond terrible.

But...

If he sticks to the offense and figures it out and then lets GW run the defense with full autonomy, it can work out nicely.

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

We improved at almost every spot.

We drafted well.

Our losses, including Adams, shouldn't really hurt us overall.

And Darnold won't have Mono.

COVID notwithstanding, we have every reason to believe the 2020 Jets will be materially better on the field than the 2019 Jets.

Yes, our schedule is "harder", but who really knows.  That stat is based on last year...no one is what they were last year.

We have every reason to be optimistic about 2020.  Presuming we get a season.  

Looking forward also looks good, lots of top picks, few ultra-high salaries, and lots of flexibility.

This is shockingly optimistic.  Now I'm worried. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

But...

If he sticks to the offense and figures it out and then lets GW run the defense with full autonomy, it can work out nicely.

3 years with Miami one here and his offenses have stunk and actually gotten worse each year.

Our hire of Gase was akin to the Bills hiring Rex.

I cannot disagree with the OOP more.  Our defensive line is average, our secondary is below average ... who are our CBs ?  Our WR corps is anemic with potential in Mims.  Our promising QB is sloppy.  Our OLB situation is non existent.  Our OL has been rebuilt and not played a down together yet.

AFC EAST still runs through NE until proven otherwise ... the three other franchises are playing catch up.

I am hopeful ... as i am every year around this time. 

But until proven otherwise we are miles away from a playoff birth.

• Post of the Week 1