State of The Jets

With this season I believe that the teams with the least amount of roster turnover will be in far better shape for this season than any other season than the Jets for the simple reason of having played together I do believe that with JD team is headed in right direction but just too many new additions and not enough time to get a cohesive oline and offensive timing Hoping for the best but being realistic I see struggling in the first half of season but if the team plays better in the second half of the season ( if there is a second half of season) then there will be good reason for 2021 to be really optimistic for a division championship and long run in the playoffs    this season not so optimistic but hoping I am wrong 

• Upvote 2

I think we have a team that will make the playoffs if the season can be completed and we are not hit with a rash of injuries in addition to Covid.

The NFL is not doing enough for Covid. Each team should be in a hotel with no outside contact and ferried back and forth each day with no outside privileges. 

Workout areas should be outdoors.

Sidelines need to be critical personnel only -players coachers and limited trainers. No former players, media, friends etc...

The sideline area should extend between the 10s.

No fans in any stadium.

Coaches should have additional protections as they are actually the most at risk.

The football season should have been targeted for Late October 

If somehow the questionable Covid response does not end the season, the Jets will be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Sam is the absolute wildcard of this season.  We have a brand new OL and a crazy offseason so they won't have time to gel at first.  We also lost our top WR and have a rookie (though at least a highly touted one).  Le'veon didn't do much last year and we added Frank Gore and the rookie RB Perine.  The good news is that Sam is in his 3rd year now.  The game is probably slowing down for him by now.  I guess we'll see how much Sam can overcome and how quickly he can overcome it.  If he can pull out games for us then a division title is a possibility.  If there are just too many moving pieces, though, I could see another 7-9 year.

The reason I don't lose sleep about a new OL and a new set of WR's messing with Sam's development is that he faced those exact challenges numerous times last season.  The OL and his receivers were a roller coaster of new faces in new places and they weren't half as talented as this years group.

Facing adversity and facing change are two things that Gase and Darnold proved in droves last year.  Nothing to worry about this year.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's going to take time for Becton and Mims to develop and for the offensive line to become a unit as opposed to a collection of parts.  Longer than most teams. 

But none of that precludes Darnold from balling out.  That's as good of a reason to be excited about 2020 as any.  

Solid points but our defense is there now ...if they can hold the fort while our offense starts to mesh this team can make move this year not a SB move but a serious playoff move. If we don't it wont only be about the team as a whole it will be about Darnold and whether hes able to do what we think he can. We've seen it so many times where a QB starts to show some promise then just sh*ts the bed. I don't think Darnold is that guy but ya never know. Once the line starts to play well like we should expect they will we have to hope to see Darnold do a few things for us to think hes taking the next step 1. stop throwing off him damn back foot and 2. stop pre-maturely exiting the pocket when he should be stepping up. When I see Darnold start stepping up in that pocket at a rate he should be I'll start to believe hes the guy ...So we can only hope last year was the true fault of the O-line and not Darnolds propensity to bail just a little too early split seconds count especially on the intermediate routes. 

80 you know I'm the QB optimist and like all the others who have marched through here I see the potential, the key is do they/he have whats upstairs that always makes the great QB's tick. We shall soon find out .

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Nice write up especially around the WR Corp and line. Wonder what you think of Blake cashman? Also JD is untouchable because he just took a Jamal sized sh*t in the middle of the Seattle fish market. 

Cashman will be a good one but at this stage hes young and a solid depth player as long as Moseley and Williamson are here. He will be a rotation player and special teamer until his time comes and I think it will come. If he proves to be the real deal you may see Williamson gone when his contract is up. I really like the combo of Williamson and Moseley I think right now they may be the best MLB pair in the league or at least in that argument. This league is going to start running the football again we saw a lot of that direction last year and if you can run the ball and control the football thats always been a winning combo and it blew my mind that San Fran did not do more of that to keep the ball out of Mahomes hands because if they would have they would have won the SB. So that being said what do the jets do best at any stage of this football team ? They stop the run.

• Upvote 1

Having followed the NFL and the Jets for over 50 years, I am simply not sure what the questions are concerning Sam Darnold--the guy has great arm-strength, and can make all the throws. Sure he made mistakes, but what second year QB didn't (Mahomes is not human--does not count). More to my point, analysts largely fail to note that Sam has never had an Oline---and when he rolled back to throw, HE WAS ALMOST ALWAYS UNDER INTENSE PRESSURE!!! Yet, he managed to do well in spite of a terrible line. Don't believe me, take a look at the video below that is labeled Sam Darnold's Best Throws --2019. See how many throws there were made with a clean pocket---dude was under intense pressure at least 80% of the time. Heck, in some, he had defenders either in the process of taking him down, or he had to run for his life, literally!! Sam is a stud!!!

Just wait--if guy get 3 seconds, he s going to crush it (one caveat, I hope he develops the relationship with someone this year that he had with Anderson last year--that worries me a bit). But forget the over-hyped guy that complained all year about money, and just agreed to abide by his rookie deal with Seattle---prediction---Adams will not be missed and will be exposed by TEs in the Seahawks' division! Just watch! Sam is the man!!! Sam will throw for 260 yards against Seattle, Bell will run for 100, and Jets will beat Seattle. As we once said: Can't wait!!!!!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

15 hours ago, SAR I said:

Bingo.

We're not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we're on our way.  We actually are.

SAR I

I feel like this is the most balanced, rational way to describe where we are right now.  Shoulda, woulda and coulda means nothing.  Last year is over.

As a long long time fan and observer of this franchise we are in as good a position, maybe better bc of Darnold, than at any time I can remember.  No Brady in our division.  GM that is really, really promising. Draft capital. I'm not sold on Gase...but I trust JD.

I'm in and excited to watch up grow.  Totally agree...we actually are on our way.  It's good.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, CSNY said:

With this season I believe that the teams with the least amount of roster turnover will be in far better shape for this season than any other season than the Jets for the simple reason of having played together I do believe that with JD team is headed in right direction but just too many new additions and not enough time to get a cohesive oline and offensive timing Hoping for the best but being realistic I see struggling in the first half of season but if the team plays better in the second half of the season ( if there is a second half of season) then there will be good reason for 2021 to be really optimistic for a division championship and long run in the playoffs    this season not so optimistic but hoping I am wrong 

This is where I've been since March. Jets biggest issues heading into the offseason were the OL, WRs, CBs, and Edge. Biggest additions to the OL and WR groups are rookies. CB is a patchwork (and a rookie), Edge remains a mystery (although we have two rookies there, too). 

The Jets are changing out 3-5 members of the OL with a rookie penciled in at the most important position, that's gonna require some patience. With limited practices and no preseason, the first month of the regular season is going to have a lot of growing pains. Probably some shuffling of personnel, too, as they try to get the best five guys out there. The WRs are in a similar spot, Crowder's back as a #1 target (if not a #1 WR), but both outside receivers are new and -again- one is a rookie. Is Perriman the guy from the last four games last year or the first four years of his career? After that questionable top three, the depth is light enough that people are excited about a 6'4" undrafted rookie with sub-9" hands. 

I think the defense will be able to pretty much hold it's own early, but I expect the offense to once again come out of the gate in fits and starts. It's all about Darnold, as it has been since the moment he was drafted. I still have a lot of faith in him and really won't want to hear the mea culpas from the anti-Sam sojfs when he shows out. I like the job Joe D did in the offseason, but it's still all theory. I'm far from sold on Gase's offense. Hopefully the lack of preseason games actually helps them put everything together better. Instead of preparing for a game, they'll be spending six weeks just figuring out where all these new pieces fit. Also, hopefully, Sam is more demanding of himself, his teammates, and his coaches from the onset. No waiting until mid-season to mention that the play-calling isn't working. 

I could see a lot of struggles early. If early is only four games and eight like last year, they could potentially be a surprise team this year, but I'll settle rather happily for a team that no one wants to play the second half of the year even if their win totals and overall statistical rankings aren't impressive. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Fans still believing that talking heads on an ESPN or FS1 research every team, every sport they cover, look deeper than 7-9 and the last 10 seasons, like a fan of a team knows that team really need to step back and inhale.  

Youre giving them too much credit 

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Cashman will be a good one but at this stage hes young and a solid depth player as long as Moseley and Williamson are here. He will be a rotation player and special teamer until his time comes and I think it will come. If he proves to be the real deal you may see Williamson gone when his contract is up. I really like the combo of Williamson and Moseley I think right now they may be the best MLB pair in the league or at least in that argument. This league is going to start running the football again we saw a lot of that direction last year and if you can run the ball and control the football thats always been a winning combo and it blew my mind that San Fran did not do more of that to keep the ball out of Mahomes hands because if they would have they would have won the SB. So that being said what do the jets do best at any stage of this football team ? They stop the run.

I don't think Cashman will even make the team. If he does, as you said, it will be on the strength of his special teams play, but I just think his health makes him a bad bet. His shoulders were the question when he was drafted, and they answered by ending his rookie season. The depth there is ridiculous, too, when after Mosley and Williamson you have Hewitt, Burgess, and Onwuasor. 

The pendulum always swings in the NFL, with teams copying what they see working. As defenses get smaller and faster to adjust to these air raid offenses, it makes a lot of sense for offenses to try to get big and run over them. When you see the success that teams like the Titans, Seahawks, or 49ers have running the ball, you know more teams will be thinking the same way. But it's always gonna be a QB driven league. A passing league. The rules favor the passing game, and the QBs who can lead fast strikes are the QBs who win. The Jets had no running game last year, and that needs to change, but the Jets also need to not lead the league in rushes on 2nd & long, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

It's going to take time for Becton and Mims to develop and for the offensive line to become a unit as opposed to a collection of parts.  Longer than most teams. 
But none of that precludes Darnold from balling out.  That's as good of a reason to be excited about 2020 as any.  

Bingo!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Solid points but our defense is there now 

I'll stop you right there.  Our defense was excellent against a weak schedule last year.  This year we face a lot better QB's overall.  I'm not saying it needs to be able to hold up against Mahomes, but if we are going to say the defense is "there now" it'll need to at least put up a fight against Russell Wilson, and do well against up-and-coming QBs like Kyler Murray and Drew Lock.  

Without a pass rusher or true CB1, the defense is not "there" yet.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WowOhWow said:

I feel like this is the most balanced, rational way to describe where we are right now.  Shoulda, woulda and coulda means nothing.  Last year is over.

As a long long time fan and observer of this franchise we are in as good a position, maybe better bc of Darnold, than at any time I can remember.  No Brady in our division.  GM that is really, really promising. Draft capital. I'm not sold on Gase...but I trust JD.

I'm in and excited to watch up grow.  Totally agree...we actually are on our way.  It's good.

Christopher Johnson, Adam Gase, Joe Douglas, Gregg Williams, that is one strong front office.  Bad eggs all gone, lazy locker room culture corrected.  Extremely talented coaching staff.  Patient owner.  Nice draft.  FA's that want to come here.  Lots of draft capital.  Like the Yankees and like the Rangers, we are years ahead of schedule on our rebuild and indeed we are indeed doing this the 'right way'.

And, of course, Sam Darnold.  Marino, Kelly, Manning, Brady.  All the other franchises in the old AFC East got their Hall of Fame quarterbacks.  Now its our turn.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

My take is half way between the Joe Benigno same old Jets gloom and doom and the “We should win the division” take.  In my opinion, we have a much better roster than we did last year, but we may have a worse record. On the plus side, Douglas vastly improved the players on the offensive line.  Any change in that unit would have to be a plus, as by any metric we had the worst line in the league.  Even in the one preseason game in which Sam played last year, I noted in a different forum that Sam hade to make every throw off of his back foot.  Obviously, that issue throughout the regular season.  

As a side note, this issue is why I disagree with people who have questioned whether or not Sam is the real deal.   No qb in the history of the league has succeeded when he cannot step into his throws. Did he make some boneheaded decisions, especially the flip near the left side of the end zone?  Yes, but he made much fewer poor decisions in the second half of the year.  He started throwing the ball away more often, as he should have  

Back to the offensive line:  we now have a much better center than we have had since Mangold retired. I believe that all of the  other replacements are better than what we had.  I think that Bechton will be a stud, but not right away!   That is the problem.   As others have mentioned, on offensive line needs time to gel, which it won’t have without preseason games.

Everything with me is “Yes, but...”     I think that Perriman may actually be an improvement over Anderson, who rarely made contested catches, but we can’t be sure.  I think that Mims will be great, but he is a rookie.  I think that the corner that we stole in the 6th round will be great, but how is his ankle? And so on.  

In general, I think that the  naysayers, including most of the national media, fail to give credit to the upgrades that we made in free agency and the draft.  On the other hand,  some people expect everything to fall into place because they want to believe that it will.  

I will conclude with this:  I guarantee that Douglas does not see this as a one year rebuild.  We had too many holes in our roster to fill, and that couldn’t be accomplished in one year.  But, I strongly believe that we are on the right track..          

My only reservation concerns Gase, but that’s for a separate post.

2 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

My only reservation concerns Gase, but that’s for a separate post.

What did Adam Gase show you last year that could possibly raise any concern?

What record did you predict for the healthy Jets last August?

When sitting at 1-7, what did you predict our record would be for the final 8 games?

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

What did Adam Gase show you last year that could possibly raise any concern?

What record did you predict for the healthy Jets last August?

When sitting at 1-7, what did you predict our record would be for the final 8 games?

SAR I

Dead last in the league in offense, this after being 31st his last year in miami and something like 21 and then 25 before that.

All teams have injuries, other teams on their 2nd and 3rd string QBs cobbled together some wins.

Gase CHOSE Falk to be on the team.

What has Gase ever shown you to suggest he is a good offensive coach?

If the QB injury ecuse was valid the team would have improved on its offensive ranking the 2nd half of the year, it didn't.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Dead last in the league in offense, this after being 31st his last year in miami and something like 21 and then 25 before that.

Run the numbers for the last 8 games thanks.

All teams have injuries, other teams on their 2nd and 3rd string QBs cobbled together some wins.

So did Coach Gase.  7 wins, in fact.  With a team most experts thought could only win 6 perfectly healthy.

Every head coach CHOOSES his third string emergency quarterback.  The guy that Gase CHOSE as his backup, Trevor Siemean, surely would have gotten us 2-3 wins and there you go, playoff berth.

6-2 against all odds with 19 players on IR.  10-6 in Miami with Tannehill.  Peyton Manning praising him to the high heavens after record-setting seasons on a bum neck.  Le'Veon Bell and Frank Gore happy to be in New Jersey and excited to be working with such a good head coach.  Sam Darnold giving him his full endorsement.

If the QB injury ecuse was valid the team would have improved on its offensive ranking the 2nd half of the year, it didn't.

Run the numbers for the last 8 games thanks.

SAR I

Not all teams were assembled by Mac.

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Not all teams were assembled by Mac.

Going into year 5, poor adam gase as a head coach has had no talent at all ever it seems.

Also, our defense under williams with poor talent and injuries managed to cobble together a mid pack performance.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Going into year 5, poor adam gase as a head coach has had no talent at all ever it seems.

Also, our defense under williams with poor talent and injuries managed to cobble together a mid pack performance.

Gase has worked for 2 terrible organizations as a HC.  Miami went to the playoffs his first year in Miami.  They had 1 playoff appearance in 14 years before he arrived.  He had very limited talent.  Miami went 5 and 11 without Gase last year.  They were 7 and 9 the year before.  

Gase basically told Ross to F off.  He forced his way out.  Ross didn't want to fire him.  He got hired in 10 minutes.  He came here saw that he was being set up to fail again and forced Mac out.  Douglas came here because of Gase.  

Adam Gase has learned a lot in a very short time.  The team last year under HC Adam Gase had a disastrous start.  He kept working he turned the ship around.  We've had a very nice offseason and draft.  The needle is pointing up.  Gase is going to be here for years.  

Sorry you can't accept it.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Gotta be a real downer for some of you when you write the team off as uncompetative (wrongly IMO) before the season even starts.

I know you'll say that's not what you're doing, but yeah, it really is.  When win totals and rankings are "unimpressive", that generally means you underperformed and didn't compete.  

Even as cynical as I am, I always leave room for optimism and hope before the opening snap.  

• Sympathy 1

In  my opinion, we started 1-7 last year due to Sam’s mono, poor talent, and a brutal schedule.  In my opinion, we finished 6-2 due to sam’s return and a much easier schedule.  The scheduling dynamics cannot be ignored when assessing the team or the coach. 

I can easily see us as having a worse record this year because we have a tougher schedule overall than we did last year.  Look at our road games. 

54 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

In  my opinion, we started 1-7 last year due to Sam’s mono, poor talent, and a brutal schedule.

How was the first half schedule brutal?  Cleveland, Philadelphia, Dallas, Jacksonville, and Miami?  That's easier than our second half schedule.

56 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

In my opinion, we finished 6-2 due to sam’s return and a much easier schedule.

Raiders, Ravens, Steelers, Bills, and Miami.  Those teams are better than those 5 mentioned above.  We should have followed 1-7 with 1-7.  Instead, we followed it with 6-2.

57 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

I can easily see us as having a worse record this year because we have a tougher schedule overall than we did last year.  Look at our road games. 

We would have gone 10-6 if we merely didn't lose Sam for a month and had a kicker.  If we were completely healthy last year, we go 11-5 minimum.  10-6 and the AFC East championship is this year's target.  And it's quite achievable.

Fun Facts:  Without a preseason and without any travel, it's going to be rather hard for San Francisco, Denver, and Arizona to come to town in the first 5 weeks of the year.  San Fran, that's an 11AM start for them.  Denver is the Thursday Night Football road curse.  Arizona has back to back East coast trips, we get them after they go back/forth from Carolina.

SAR I

You mentioned 5 teams in the first half.  What were the other 3?

I do like the scheduling fun facts that you mention for this year. 

Hey, I hope that you’re right about this year. I’m not a doom and gloom guy, but I do think that you are being unrealistically optimistic. 

On 7/28/2020 at 7:28 PM, johnnysd said:

I think we have a team that will make the playoffs if the season can be completed and we are not hit with a rash of injuries in addition to Covid.

The NFL is not doing enough for Covid. Each team should be in a hotel with no outside contact and ferried back and forth each day with no outside privileges. 

Workout areas should be outdoors.

Sidelines need to be critical personnel only -players coachers and limited trainers. No former players, media, friends etc...

The sideline area should extend between the 10s.

No fans in any stadium.

Coaches should have additional protections as they are actually the most at risk.

The football season should have been targeted for Late October 

If somehow the questionable Covid response does not end the season, the Jets will be in the playoffs.

I would like to see a 8 game season with an expanded playoff roster similar to what happened in '82.