Which Was The Best Jets Team ???

Which would you say was the best Jets team (not counting 1969) ??? Which would have had the best chance to win the Super Bowl if they had advanced ???

1982 Jets (Would Have played Redski... No, No... Red Wolves in Super Bowl)

1986 Jets (Would Have played Giants in Super Bowl)

1998 Jets (Would Have Played CORRECTION *ATLANTA*  in Super Bowl)

2001 Jets (Would Have Played St. Louis Rams In Super Bowl)

2006 Jets (Would Have Played Chicago In Super Bowl)

2009 Jets (Would Have Played Saints In Super Bowl)

2010 Jets (Would Have Played Green Bay In Super Bowl)

The way I see it, the most talented team was the 1982 team.

The team that had the best chance to win the Super Bowl had they advanced was the 1998 Jets.  A close second being the 2010 Jets.  If they didn't have so many injuries, the very talented 1986 Jets team would have beat the Giants. 

Comments ???

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Which would you say was the best Jets team (not counting 1969) ??? Which would have had the best chance to win the Super Bowl if they had advanced ???

The team that had the best chance to win the Super Bowl had they advanced was the 1998 Jets.  A close second being the 2010 Jets.  If they didn't have so many injuries, the very talented 1986 Jets team would have beat the Giants. 

Comments ???

The 1998 and 2010 teams in my opinion had the best chance to win a SB had they gotten there.  The 82 team, I LOVED but Todd vs Theisman???  

4 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Comments ???

Gonna go with what I heard Klecko say on behalf of the 1982 team that the Fins after the dreaded Mud Bowl were run all over on and that would not have occurred to the Sack Exchange Dline. Meaning, they would have stopped Riggins or at least held him in check.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

imo the 1999 team had the best chance to get to the sb.  vinny and leon johnson going down ruined the season.  they may have made the playoffs if they used lucas at qb from game 2 on.

The other teams were very talented and had a good shot, but I agree here.  The 1998 team would have gotten past Atlanta in the Super Bowl without any problem.  

IMHO, Parcells outcoached himself in that game vs. Denver.  I also remember Vinny missing a wide open R. Anderson in the endzone that would have change the game.  Vinny felt pressure that wasn't there and he dirted the ball just out of Anderson's reach...

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jetswin said:

Alex Van Dyke:blink:

Why does that negate the '98 team, exactly?

Great teams are based on the collective, not the individual parts.  That 1998 team won 12 games and should have been in the Super Bowl. 

It was also the first Jets team to win its division SINCE 1969.  (Yes, the 2002 team won its division too....at 9-7, and lost in the Divisional Round).  

Oh, and in terms of point differential, the 1998 Jets were +150.  That is # 1 in Jets history.  The '68 Jets (not '69) was +139.  The next best in the post-merger era was the '85 team, at +129.

All of that makes it the 2nd best team in Jets' history, and its not close.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why does that negate the '98 team, exactly?

Great teams are based on the collective, not the individual parts.  That 1998 team won 12 games and should have been in the Super Bowl.  It was also the first Jets team to win its division SINCE 1969.

That makes it the 2nd best team in Jets' history.  

I'm agreeing with you, as I recall an awful fumble and a couple of drops in Championship game...but maybe I'm confused?

2 minutes ago, jetswin said:

I'm agreeing with you, as I recall an awful fumble and a couple of drops in Championship game...but maybe I'm confused?

The '98 team had the best chance to steal a Super Bowl due to the Falcons getting in, but they were not the best team.  Sanchez was a better quarterback than Testaverde, for starters.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

The '98 team had the best chance to steal a Super Bowl, but they were not the best team.  Sanchez was a better quarterback than Testaverde, for starters.

SAR I

VT's '98 season was historic

lol, Sanchize never approached

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jetswin said:

Yes, there were 4 Jets fumbles lost in that game.  Keith Byars, Curtis Martin, James Farrior and yes, Van Dyke. 

Vinny was also picked off twice.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, there were 4 Jets fumbles lost in that game.  Keith Byars, Curtis Martin, James Farrior and yes, Van Dyke. 

Vinny was also picked off twice.  

Byars and Van Dyke stick out like sore thumbs in my mind's eye

• Upvote 1

1998 team.  One of the best coaching staffs in NFL history.  The 82 team was great but the Skins were better.  Gibbs was an all time great HC.  Better QB, better WR, better OL, better overall D. 

The 1998 team was better than Atlanta.  The 82 team was not better than the skins.  The Skins weren't really challenged in any of their playoff games.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Playoffs, JW.  Playoffs.

Mark Sanchez was the greatest Jets playoff quarterback.  Look it up.  I ain't lyin'.

SAR I

I agree Sanchez stepped up in his playoff seasons, I still blame 2010 on sh*ttenheimer...however '98 was a guaranteed SB win imho if they dont crap out second half vs Broncos

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jetswin said:

I agree Sanchez stepped up in his playoff seasons, I still blame 2010 on sh*ttenheimer...however '98 was a guaranteed SB win imho if they dont crap out second half vs Broncos

I agree, the Falcons were a gimmie, but I think the '10 Jets team could have gone into Denver in 1998 and won easily, something the '98 Jets couldn't do.

Mark was cool as a cucumber.  Vinny was a shaky mess.  Rex was fearless.  Parcells was tight.  The two-headed monster of Tomlinson and Greene was better than The Compiler.  Put the '98 Jets on the field on their best day against the '10 Jets on their best day, and the '10 Jets win.  Sanchez is the difference.  Testaverde didn't play big in big games.  It was his fatal flaw.  Parcells could be beaten by an unconventional coach.  Rex was unpredictable.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Playoffs, JW.  Playoffs.

Mark Sanchez was the greatest Jets playoff quarterback.  Look it up.  I ain't lyin'.

SAR I

With the sole exception of the 2010 Pats game, Sanchez mostly just stood around and watched in the playoffs.  He was also a complete albatross in both losses.

1998 Vinny was infinitely better in every single way imaginable.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The other teams were very talented and had a good shot, but I agree here.  The 1998 team would have gotten past Atlanta in the Super Bowl without any problem.  

IMHO, Parcells outcoached himself in that game vs. Denver.  I also remember Vinny missing a wide open R. Anderson in the endzone that would have change the game.  Vinny felt pressure that wasn't there and he dirted the ball just out of Anderson's reach...

yep and i'm sure curtis martin wanted that game too.  that 99 team was loaded and hungry and ready for prime time.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I agree, the Falcons were a gimmie, but I think the '10 Jets team could have gone into Denver in 1998 and won easily, something the '98 Jets couldn't do.

Mark was cool as a cucumber.  Vinny was a shaky mess.  Rex was fearless.  Parcells was tight.  The two-headed monster of Tomlinson and Greene was better than The Compiler.  Put the '98 Jets on the field on their best day against the '10 Jets on their best day, and the '10 Jets win.  Sanchez is the difference.  Testaverde didn't play big in big games.  It was his fatal flaw.  Parcells could be beaten by an unconventional coach.  Rex was unpredictable.

SAR I

some good points about the 2010 team.  the 98 team was good but really only stating to come together.  imo the 99 team was better and was very hungry to redeem themselves after the denver loss.  and much as you don't like martin that much, he would've used his championship game as motivation to succeed.  the guy was very driven.

• Upvote 1

1998 would have had the best shot at winning the Super Bowl.

1982 was the best team. Sack Exchange, McNeil, Shuler. Walker, really good O-LINE

If they 86 team had stayed healthy and the offense played the way they did those first 11 games they would have destroyed the AFC. Going against the Giants would have been a really interesting game.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Gonna go with what I heard Klecko say on behalf of the 1982 team that the Fins after the dreaded Mud Bowl were run all over on and that would not have occurred to the Sack Exchange Dline. Meaning, they would have stopped Riggins or at least held him in check.

The 1982 team also had backers that were very good against the run.  Buttle, Blinka and Mehl as a unit were super good against the run. 

Their defensive backs were also very good as a unit.  Bobby Jackson and Jerry Holmes were both very good CB's.  Ken Schroy and Darrol Ray were a really nice safety tandem.  If Ray managed to get the ball in his hands, he was gonna take it all the way.  

As good as the Redskins were, the Jets could have won that game if they didn't turn the ball over.   The Jets defense was really hot in 82. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

With the sole exception of the 2010 Pats game, Sanchez mostly just stood around and watched in the playoffs.  He was also a complete albatross in both losses.

1998 Vinny was infinitely better in every single way imaginable.

Mark Sanchez led us back to victory in 2010 at Indianapolis.  Mark's play in th 2010 regular season featured 6 remarkable fourth quarter comebacks.  Mark Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in both AFC Championship Games.

Vinny was a one-year wonder.  One regular season, that is.  He sh-t the bed in Denver.  He's why we lost.  Special teams one yard drive and that was it.  No offense at all.  VT choked in big games his whole career, and Mark Sanchez was the exact opposite.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

Well balanced and extremely well coached.   Parcells thought he had a team good enough to win his 3rd SB.   So did many of us.

Missed opportunity.  I was at the 98 AFCCG in Denver.  Old Mile High never really got rocking until the Broncos tied it at 10.  Dead quiet at half time and after Curtis scored the short TD. 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez led us back to victory in 2010 at Indianapolis.  Mark's play in th 2010 regular season featured 6 remarkable fourth quarter comebacks.  Mark Sanchez was the best Jet on the field in both AFC Championship Games.

Vinny was a one-year wonder.  One regular season, that is.  He sh-t the bed in Denver.  He's why we lost.  Special teams one yard drive and that was it.  No offense at all.  VT choked in big games his whole career, and Mark Sanchez was the exact opposite.  

SAR I

Sanchez was a useless pile of crap in both AFC Championships.  Your shtick needs some work man.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Sorry to do this but I think I'd take Vinnys worst NY season over any Sanchez season.

Vinnys 98 season is better than any season could imagine having. 

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sorry to do this but I think I'd take Vinnys worst NY season over any Sanchez season.

Vinnys 98 season is better than any season could imagine having. 

There is no point in having a good regular season if your quarterback can't elevate his play and win playoff games against bigtime defenses.

VT '98 is the reason we lost in Denver.  He was as bad as Pennington in Oakland in '02.  Sanchez?  Played very well in 6 playoff games, and all you can say about his worst playoff game is that he led us back with 50 seconds on the clock to end the Peyton Manning dynasty in Indianapolis.

SAR I