32EBoozer

Pats Tanking and Loaded w/ 2021 Picks

If the Pats finish with a record in the 8-15 range.... do you feel they can swing the trade up for Lawrence? How many poor teams need a FQB..... those with ageing QB's for starters. GB, NO, TB etc.

Patriots' projected 2021 draft picks includes Tom Brady compensatory selection

We know: The dust is still settling on the 2020 NFL Draft.

But with the New England Patriots entering a potential rebuilding phase without Tom Brady, why not see what the future looks like?

In addition to taking 10 players in this year's draft, the Patriots also swung four trades, one of which involved sending their 2021 sixth-round pick to the New York Jets while moving up to take tight end Dalton Keene at No. 101 overall.

Download the MyTeams app for the latest Patriots news and analysis

So, where does that leave New England entering the 2021 NFL Draft? There's one more piece of the puzzle: compensatory draft picks.

The NFL's free agency compensation window closes Monday, meaning any free agent who signs after Monday no longer would net their former club a compensatory pick.

As it stands now, the Patriots are projected to receive three compensatory selections in 2021 after losing five players to free agency and only signing two, according to Over The Cap:

Third-round pick (for Buccaneers QB Tom Brady)
Fourth-round pick (for Dolphins LB Kyle Van Noy)
Fourth-round pick (for Lions LB Jamie Collins)

Getting a third-round pick out of a former sixth-rounder in Brady? Now, that's value! (We're kidding -- but wouldn't be totally surprised if Bill Belichick felt this way.)

Listen and subscribe to Phil Perry's Next Pats Podcast here:

Plenty will change over the next several months, but here's a full rundown of the Patriots' 2021 draft picks as of Monday:

First round
Second round
Third round
Third round (compensatory pick)
Fourth round
Fourth round (compensatory pick)
Fourth round (compensatory pick)
Fifth round
Seventh round

That's a solid nine-pick lineup, including four selections in the first three rounds.

As for where those picks will land in each round? That depends on how well the Patriots fare in the first season in two decades without Brady under center.

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They haven't traded away their aging, elite players on defense and they signed Cam Newton. And Bellichick is 68 years old. 

I am not getting the tanking vibes from the Pats. I think Bill is too stubborn to admit he can't win without Brady this year and I don't think he wants to start rebuilding at 70. 

Wait till there entire offensive line ops out. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

only way to get lawrence would be to literally have the worst record in the nfl

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Adding comp picks in the third and fourth rounds is great, and something I hope to see Douglas do a lot of in the near future, but it's not enough to move up to #1 overall from #8 or higher. Especially for a QB like Lawrence. 

• Upvote 4

Another half baked article.  Doldrums.........   

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

They haven't traded away their aging, elite players on defense and they signed Cam Newton. And Bellichick is 68 years old. 

I am not getting the tanking vibes from the Pats. I think Bill is too stubborn to admit he can't win without Brady this year and I don't think he wants to start rebuilding at 70. 

I don't think tanking even comes into consideration for BB.  He's the best coach in the sport.  He probably feels like his team can compete in a game against any team in the league.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

If the Pats finish with a record in the 8-15 range...

8-15?

They'll be damned lucky to play a 16 (or even a 12) game season due to covid. I don't see how a 23-game season is even being discussed.

Where do these people come up with this stuff?

• Haha 2

I think JAX is the odds on favorite to swing a trade for TL if anyone can.  They have 2 1sts and 2 4ths and all their other picks (Rams for Jalen Ramsey).  They will also be very likely to finish in the bottom 10, maybe bottom 5.  

The only other teams with 2 1st round picks are MIA and NYJ and neither of them seem likely to trade the farm to get TL unless something happens to one of their young QBs.  

My dark horse to finish close enough to trade up if they don't outright get it is DET.  They have a pretty bad roster and will get gobsmacked by MIN and GB and probably CHI too this season.  

Nobody is trading the right to draft Lawrence. End of discussion. Pats need the #1 pick overall which means they need the worst record. 

3 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Nobody is trading the right to draft Lawrence. End of discussion. Pats need the #1 pick overall which means they need the worst record. 

Wrong! If Cincy gets it, they would trade it for a haul. Few other teams as well. 

• Upvote 2

Patrick Chung just opted out making that 6 Patriots choosing to sit out the year....just Bill being Bill

They arent tanking.  If they were they would have trade more of their veterans 

2021 picks won't matter unless you like Fields (or whoever) as much as Lawrence. Whoever has the worst record will take Lawrence and I simply cannot imagine the Pats being that bad.

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

2021 picks won't matter unless you like Fields (or whoever) as much as Lawrence. Whoever has the worst record will take Lawrence and I simply cannot imagine the Pats being that bad.

Teams (likely to finish near #1 pick) that probably would trade the #1 pick for a Herschel Walker type deal:

CIN, MIA (depends on if Tua plays at all this year and what he shows), NYJ (same for Darnold), LAC (same for Herbert).

Take the Jets for example.  Assume Sam shows real growth this season with a better, but not very good yet, OL and WR group.  Lets say someone offers us Three #1s, a #2 and a #3 for Lawrence and we move down to pick 5 this year.  Alternatively, we could probably trade Sam for a mid-round #1 this year and take TL.  This also assumes we don't see much, if any college football this year.

Without seeing TL play this season, I think it's very plausible to take the deal, draft Chase or Rousseau, then have another 1st rounder this year, and 3 next year and 2 the following year, and ride the Darnold train.

On the other hand, we could draft Lawrence and do nothing to improve the rest of the team with that pick.  

Not so cut and dried for me but I'm definitely open to being convinced otherwise.  I guess I just don't know enough to judge how likely Lawrence is to be Andrew Luck 2.0.  Not to say he isn't a better prospect than any of the other young guys I mentioned above, but is he worth all those extra picks as well?

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Teams (likely to finish near #1 pick) that probably would trade the #1 pick for a Herschel Walker type deal:

CIN, MIA (depends on if Tua plays at all this year and what he shows), NYJ (same for Darnold), LAC (same for Herbert).

Take the Jets for example.  Assume Sam shows real growth this season with a better, but not very good yet, OL and WR group.  Lets say someone offers us Three #1s, a #2 and a #3 for Lawrence and we move down to pick 5 this year.  Alternatively, we could probably trade Sam for a mid-round #1 this year and take TL.  This also assumes we don't see much, if any college football this year.

Without seeing TL play this season, I think it's very plausible to take the deal, draft Chase or Rousseau, then have another 1st rounder this year, and 3 next year and 2 the following year, and ride the Darnold train.

On the other hand, we could draft Lawrence and do nothing to improve the rest of the team with that pick.  

Not so cut and dried for me but I'm definitely open to being convinced otherwise.  I guess I just don't know enough to judge how likely Lawrence is to be Andrew Luck 2.0.  Not to say he isn't a better prospect than any of the other young guys I mentioned above, but is he worth all those extra picks as well?

If we assume Sam shows real growth, I can’t see a scenario where we’re picking in the top 10 let alone #1

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

If we assume Sam shows real growth, I can’t see a scenario where we’re picking in the top 10 let alone #1

True.  I was talking about the SEA pick :D

• Haha 1

A few things, and mostly everyone here is saying similar things. 

First... if you think Belichick is tanking youre nuts, the guy is calculated and a little maniacal but he's not an idiot.  You dont make the moves he makes to tank, and he sure as sh*t wont let his reputation get tarnished and let brady steal the show and make the narrative that he was the reason for all the success in NE.  BB is completely motivated this season to show he can win without Tom. 

Second... We cant say the team with the worst record will take Lawrence and people wont get the opportunity to trade up.  Now can that be true? absolutely.  Can DET or JAX (Qb needy teams) have the top pick and take Lawrence?  sure absolutely, it can definitely happen.  but there are two caveats that people are not always considering.  The most obvious being that a team like CIN or MIA has the worst record and they feel good about their QB's and are willing to trade out of the spot.  But the other part of this picture is.. What if teams like Fields over Lawrence?  Now personally.. I like Lawrence better, BUT i know people in the scouting community that arent enamored with lawrence, if there is a college season an fields dominates and lawrence has a slightly down year, one could jump the other.. 

Third being the ultimate wild card... what if there is no season?  What happens to the draft order?  How do they determine top picks, and if there is no NFL season, there probably is no College season, so what do college players do?  Do they come out, does the NCAA extend eligibility? 

Point being there are just too many different things are work right now to hedge your bet on tanking to land a specific players at the top of the draft.. And Belichick would never hedge his teams success on something so unsure. 

• Like 1

only way to get lawrence would be to literally have the worst record in the nfl

Yes, pretty much. Unless the team there has a Qb they like, which is hard to imagine. Maybe the dolphins, but they wouldn’t trade with the Pats. Hard to imagine the Pats with the worst record, at this point. Maybe Bill sends everyone home.

Our schedule is a bit easier at this point

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

8-15?

They'll be damned lucky to play a 16 (or even a 12) game season due to covid. I don't see how a 23-game season is even being discussed.

Where do these people come up with this stuff?

Wise guy. I'm sure you knew I meant drafting in the 8-15 area. 

• Haha 1

now they have what 6 players opting out?  sure feels like tanking.

if NE get trevor by tanking - i am pretty much done with professional football.  i will give up my seats most definitely.

56 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

now they have what 6 players opting out?  sure feels like tanking.

if NE get trevor by tanking - i am pretty much done with professional football.  i will give up my seats most definitely.

There are a few good QB's coming out far better than Stidman!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

i wasn't a fan of Indy tanking to get luck - and if NE tanks - i'll just stop going to the games and watch a bit on TV - but will definitely change my view of things.

i just being honest.

I was convinced they were going to tank for Lawrence, but why would you go out and sign Cam if that were the case?  Odd.

Can’t wait to see the pats stink neact year and the Belichick worshippers shut up about how great he is

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Wait till there entire offensive line ops out. 

It's New England.  They could sign you and be just fine.  All it takes is 5 guys grabbing jerseys and holding on for dear life, with nary a yellow flag in sight.

Brady may be gone but Belichick isn't.  The tradition of cheating without consequences will continue on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I was convinced they were going to tank for Lawrence, but why would you go out and sign Cam if that were the case?  Odd.

They did it on the exact same day as Goodell slapped their wrist for getting caught overtly cheating again. Smokescreen 

And Cam Newton is done.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Cam is their beard so it looks like they made a legit effort.  

My first submission to Lego ideas: 3D Chess! Please let me know ...

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's New England.  They could sign you and be just fine.  All it takes is 5 guys grabbing jerseys and holding on for dear life, with nary a yellow flag in sight.

Brady may be gone but Belichick isn't.  The tradition of cheating without consequences will continue on.

They’re not protecting TB12 anymore.  Vegas won’t be favoring them in games.  No more blatant holding every play 

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Stidham sucks so bad Jamal Adams picked him off