Any Word Yet from Greg Williams Yet?

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I ask because he's about the only opinion that could in any way slightly sway me from being pretty ecstatic about the Adams trade.

Has there been any public comment yet from Greg Williams?

Interview from 7/23 before the trade but since Douglas was working on it for a month he may have known:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/what-does-gregg-williams-like-about-the-jets-defense-heading-into-2020

• Post of the Week 1

What would you expect Williams to say? Do you really think he's happy he has MacDougal instead of Jamal on his defense?

Regardless of how anyone feels about Adams antics, he was the best player on the Jets. GW would obviously have preferred to have Adams to scheme around, Nothing will be said aside from "he was a great player here, I wish him well" or some PC version of "next man up, we'll be fine."

The DC has to tow the company line. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

"Wishes Jamal well ..."

"Looking forward to working with McDougald ..."

"Front office decision / it's a business ..."

"Coaching the players that are in the building ..."

... did I miss any cliches? ;-) 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Why would there be? He is the DC. I mean do you think he is going to say anything positive about Adams other than wishing him well?

I don't know what he might say, that is why I asked.

Unlike all the things we posters say here, what he says might (stress might) be interesting and shed light on how he feels about the trade, and how it will effect his defense.  even if it's just his tone or some aspect of how he says what he says.

And yes, when a team trades away the "best player on the defense", I would expect the beat reporters to ask for Williams, and to ask him his opinion on it.

• Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't know what he might say, that is why I asked.

Unlike all the things we posters say here, what he says might (stress might) be interesting and shed light on how he feels about the trade, and how it will effect his defense.  even if it's just his tone or some aspect of how he says what he says.

And yes, when a team trades away the "best player on the defense", I would expect the beat reporters to ask for Williams, and to ask him his opinion on it.

I think it would be very obvious  that Williams would rather have Adams on the Jets than on the Seahawks and if pressed on that, he would most likely convey that. As far as what he would say about the trade, this is what he won't do. He won't  trash the HC or the GM. He wouldn't  say anything negative. This is why nobody is asking  for the canned response he would deliver. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:57 AM, Trolly McTrollface said:

What would you expect Williams to say? Do you really think he's happy he has MacDougal instead of Jamal on his defense?

Regardless of how anyone feels about Adams antics, he was the best player on the Jets. GW would obviously have preferred to have Adams to scheme around, Nothing will be said aside from "he was a great player here, I wish him well" or some PC version of "next man up, we'll be fine."

The DC has to tow the company line. 

One step back in order to take two steps forward.  If Gregg is interested in the longterm and building success with the Jets (and I honestly don't know if this team is a short pitstop for him or if he's planning to be here for 3-4 years) then he'll be happy about this move.  As most independent analysts view this trade it's a win for the Jets where they unlocked the value of a talented player who was going to cost them a fortune.  The loss of Adams might cost the Jets a win in 2020, but I think it will add a win or two in each season that follows if those picks are used appropriately.  Make no mistake, GW lost his favorite toy, but I honestly think he's the kind of guy who likes that challenge.

With all that said, the Jets no longer have an identity on Defense.  Whether it was good or bad, it was what it was - Jamal Adams and a bunch of dudes (no disrespect to Mosley who was hurt).  I look at the departure of Adams (and even Leo) as opening a door for leadership on Defense.  And, I think that's what GW loves to see.  I can just see his first day at training camp and giving a welcome speech, "Welcome back....the room looks a little different, doesn't it?  And it might even be a little quieter on the practice field (wink).  But there's an opportunity here for the young men who crave it.  Who is ready to work hard, work smart, assert himself, and lead by example?  Who is ready to take a step up the ladder?  I don't care when or where you were drafted.  I don't care how much you cost or what your contract status is.  When you're on the field you're wearing green just like the guy next to you, and you're simply one of eleven.  I play the guys who mentally and physically perform well.  There's a door that's been opened...and I can't wait to see who has what it takes to walk through it!"

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 4

On 7/28/2020 at 12:51 PM, KRL said:

Interview from 7/23 before the trade but since Douglas was working on it for a month he may have known:

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/what-does-gregg-williams-like-about-the-jets-defense-heading-into-2020

@KRL I was thinking the same thing. One wonders if William's positive comments about him being a HOF talent were actually designed to drive Jamal's trade value up!

• Upvote 2

I ask because he's about the only opinion that could in any way slightly sway me from being pretty ecstatic about the Adams trade.
Has there been any public comment yet from Greg Williams?

You have to be aware of the idiocy of this question coming from you right?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

22 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Tell me why this guy isn't OUR head coach?

22 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Because we kicked his ass when he was head coach of the Buffalo Bills

Because he was the lead in Bounty Gate and ratted others out  

Hes got little chance of becoming a HC.  Actually his slight chance is if hes a DC somewhere and the HC fails or dies, he takes over and turns it around.  I thought he might get a chance after taking over in Cleveland but....

14 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

You have to be aware of the idiocy of this question coming from you right?
emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well, that's the funny part, some of the very folks who took the most umbrage at my usual "PR is PR, who cares what they say" opinion are the same ones telling me now it doesn't matter.  Irony works both ways mate.

Truth is, G.W. is the kinda guy who might just break script.  Not likely per se, but possible.  He could throw Adams under the bus, or could defend him, or could, as intelligent folks can, say everything he wants to get across without "saying it" as bluntly as all that, who knows. 

But yes, this is a rare instance where I go against my usual view of pressers, and I'd like to hear from a Coach, despite knowing the answer is likely fluff PR.

• Upvote 1