The baby fat is gone

AFJF

There were reports of him getting in really great shape this offseason and changing his diet.  The picture posted from his IG with him on vacation with his GF made it look like he hadn't lost anything, but seeing him walk into the testing today you can clearly see the change in body composition.  Hopefully him losing some weight and getting stronger translates into a quicker player that can penetrate lines easier.   He's always had really good quickness, but being able to drop some weight will only make him better. 

• Upvote 2

He's still growing into his body so he's only going to get stronger. I feel like he came into the league after dominating his one year in Bama and kinda coasted which in turn got him hurt. He looks ready this season and I'm excited to see what him and Fatukasi can do this season. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

It’s ridiculous. I hated the pick, but writing him off after a mediocre rookie year is assamine 

I wrote him off as a pass-rusher before he was selected.  He's not a good enough natural athlete to ever be an elite pass rushing DT in the NFL.  His rookie year performance only reaffirmed that viewpoint.

He'll be a very good run stuffer who falls into some sacks/pressures, regardless of how much fat he sheds.  He's just not an explosive guy.  

I'd love to be wrong.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wrote him off as a pass-rusher before he was selected.  He's not a good enough natural athlete to ever be an elite pass rushing DT in the NFL.  His rookie year performance only reaffirmed that viewpoint.

He'll be a very good run stuffer who falls into some sacks/pressures, regardless of how much fat he sheds.  He's just not an explosive guy.  

I'd love to be wrong.  

I'm hoping you're wrong too.  Every single thing written about QW before the draft praised his speed and athleticism and yes, explosiveness. 

Here's a quote from NinersNation:

"His speed and athleticism are off the charts. Explodes out of his stance and makes initial contact immediately. Will often win the one to one matchup, and uses his physical strength to his advantage. Williams has a natural blend of power and flexibility. Gifted with strong football instincts and anticipation."

And one from TheDraftNetwork:

"Get-off/BurstExtremely explosive off the ball and almost immediately gains ground into the opposing backfield. Quickness makes him extremely difficulty to win first contact against. Difficult for guards to square because of how fast he attacks their edge. Carries initial burst off the ball into his third and fourth steps as a rusher. Slips through gaps quickly to play behind the line of scrimmage more than any defensive lineman in the country."

8 sacks in his first year as a starter at DT for Alabama suggests he is a pretty good pass rusher.  

I can't speak to what happened last year, but the potential to be a dominant, disruptive pass-rusher is there.  It just remains to be seen if QW can activate it and become a star.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd love to be wrong.  

CA193DBE-ED1B-4730-AC9F-8CEE3EE78C2E.png.ca96efe67307a454e98a09e2f9dc8adf.png

I mean... he’s no slouch physically. He’s not Aaron Donald but he’s high end. He compares favorably to Mo Wilkerson and if he can be peak Wilkerson for 7 years instead of 2 years then it’s a good thing. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd love to be wrong.  

Hope you're wrong too.  Given your track record there's a good chance.

I kid...I kid... :P

In all seriousness, what you describe is essentially what Leo Williams turned out to be.  We know that QW needs to be better than that.  Leo fell into being franchise tagged, he didn't "earn it" IMO.  Leo isn't a franchise player on D and I doubt QW will be either.  But there's still hope with QW in Year 2....there's upside and this is the key year where you can see a player take that big leap.  By all appearances QW has used his offseason well and I do have high hopes for him.  A year of experience, some continued mentorship from McClendon, a great offseason workout program and continued coaching by Gregg Williams will give QW a great opportunity to prove people wrong.  The ball is on the tee....he now has to hit it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd love to be wrong.  

okay, does that mean he'll be like woolfork?   he wasn't too shabby as a run stuffing nose tackle.  i think a lot of fans are more upset about no picking a bonafide pass rusher as opposed to other position players.  was  there one after the third pick?  i will agree that mac was way too much dline centric.  there was no reason to pick leo even considering what a slug wilky turned out to be.  good dline players seem to be pretty easy to find.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm hoping you're wrong too.  Every single thing written about QW before the draft praised his speed and athleticism and yes, explosiveness. 

Here's a quote from NinersNation:

And one from TheDraftNetwork:

8 sacks in his first year as a starter at DT for Alabama suggests he is a pretty good pass rusher.  

I can't speak to what happened last year, but the potential to be a dominant, disruptive pass-rusher is there.  It just remains to be seen if QW can activate it and become a star.

His measurables coming out just don't back up those scouting reports though.  If those were impacted by him being out of shape....great, maybe losing the baby fat is all that was needed.

And college production doesn't always translate.  Jachai Polite was very productive his final season at Florida (11 sacks), for instance.  

2 hours ago, kdels62 said:

CA193DBE-ED1B-4730-AC9F-8CEE3EE78C2E.png.ca96efe67307a454e98a09e2f9dc8adf.png

I mean... he’s no slouch physically. He’s not Aaron Donald but he’s high end. He compares favorably to Mo Wilkerson and if he can be peak Wilkerson for 7 years instead of 2 years then it’s a good thing. 

This has been discussed before.  The problem is he didn't participate in the 2 most important tests:  3-cone and Short Shuttle.  Likely for good reason.

His speed times really don't mean a lot to me.  He's a DT.  He doesn't get straight lines to the QB very often.  

Compare this to Ed Oliver.  It's no question who the more athletic talent was, and who the better pick would have been.  Oliver is a freak on the level of Aaron Donald.  And like Donald, he only "fell" as far as he did because he's considered "undersized":

ed-oliver-ras-19438.png?w=1170&ssl=1

aaron-donald-ras-10989.png?resize=806,52

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

He needs to become an impact pass rusher or this pick was a waste IMO. Rooting for the kid but I suspect he's going to take over king whipping boy status left vacant by The Prez.

He was a Macc pick, so that's a safe bet.  

If he ends up the next Leonard Williams while Ed Oliver becomes the next Aaron Donald or Josh Allen becomes the next Von Miller or something like him, this is going to this is going to go down as another one of those incredibly embarrassing draft day moments in Jet history that they show in YouTube videos.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

okay, does that mean he'll be like woolfork?   he wasn't too shabby as a run stuffing nose tackle.  i think a lot of fans are more upset about no picking a bonafide pass rusher as opposed to other position players.  was  there one after the third pick?  i will agree that mac was way too much dline centric.  there was no reason to pick leo even considering what a slug wilky turned out to be.  good dline players seem to be pretty easy to find.

1) Nose Tackles don't matter like they used to.  Even if they did, you don't use a top 10 pick on a run-stuffing DT/NT, even if  you were to guarantee he becomes the greatest NT/run-stuffing DT of all-time.  

2) You are correct that a pass-rusher was what we should have taken.  That includes pass-rushing DTs if you can find one.  

3) Were there pass rushers available after Quinnen?  Yes.  Josh Allen and Ed Oliver were/are bonafide pass rushers.  Allen fits the 3-4 look nicely.  Oliver is perfect as a 4-3 DT if you prefer the Jets to move towards that.  Take your pick.  

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This has been discussed before.  The problem is he didn't participate in the 2 most important tests:  3-cone and Short Shuttle.  Likely for good reason.

His speed times really don't mean a lot to me.  He's a DT.  He doesn't get straight lines to the QB very often.  

Compare this to Ed Oliver.  It's no question who the more athletic talent was, and who the better pick would have been.  Oliver is a freak on the level of Aaron Donald.  And like Donald, he only "fell" as far as he did because he's considered "undersized":

ed-oliver-ras-19438.png?w=1170&ssl=1

aaron-donald-ras-10989.png?resize=806,52

Eh maybe, but that 10 yard split is a great indicator of explosion... and he’s got 20 pounds on those guys. He’s not coming off the edge so he needs to be more slippery than anything, which by all indications and his tape he is very much so. Just needs to stay healthy and put it together, guy was a unanimous elite prospect for a reason. 

• Upvote 1