Jump to content
predator_05

Trevor Lawrence vs Sam Darnold - who would you rather have?

Who is better  

125 members have voted

  1. 1. Who should be the Jets QB?



Recommended Posts

When the team predictably gets off to a slow start, the vultures will circle around and pick their targets. 

 

One of these targets will be our QB. The vultures will swoop, bearing cries of "Is Darnold the answer?""SHOULD the jets draft Trevor lawrence?", "The arizona cardinals took kyler murray 1st overall with Josh rosen on the roster!", "How many more years does he need?"

For this reason, I have decided to preemptively create a designated 'kill zone' within this thread - one where we can freely shoot down any vultures without fear of reproach or consequence. 

 

Have at it, gentlemen. Here is the case for Trevor Lawrence:

Quote

Douglas did not put together the roster that featured Adams and has been working since his hire to retool the team to his liking. In returning a stunning two first-rounders for a safety who needs a new contract, Douglas has positioned himself to make the one roster move that he couldn’t make in a typical offseason: acquiring a franchise quarterback.

If Darnold is bad this year (likely) and the Jets are bad this year (likely), they will have an early first-rounder from their own pick, an extra first from Seattle, and two first-rounders in 2022 (theirs and Seattle’s) to deal with. In a hypothetical trade for the top overall pick, the Jets could offer three first-round selections—enough to move up from even the low teens—without missing their first-round selection in subsequent seasons.

In other words, the Jets could turn Jamal Adams into Trevor Lawrence.

Of course, it’s not that easy. But when you look at the transaction like that, this could be franchise-altering for the Jets. With the trade capital that they have already in the war chest, attracting a desirable coaching candidate will be a breeze, as you’re offering any offensive-minded coach the opportunity to tie himself to one of the best quarterback prospects of recent memory. In a perfect world, the front office and the coaching staff are comfortable selecting multiple quarterbacks at the top pick. That’s a luxury this class very well could offer, with Lawrence, Ohio State’s Justin Fields, and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance all representing mouthwatering talents at the position.

The promise of Lawrence attracts the top-flight coaching candidate; Lawrence’s potentially elite status is more accessible with a top coach tethered to his future. The concerns with both—that a coaching candidate won’t like the roster enough to commit, and that the young quarterback won’t have the necessary coaches to develop—are quelled simultaneously.

But no matter what happens, the same truth holds: the Jets have franchise QB ammo, and as such, they’ve opened the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes, and the rest of the league is playing catch up. Expect a new head coach and a new quarterback in New York next season as Douglas does the one thing every first-time general manager dreams of doing: smashing the reset button and reconstructing the franchise cornerstones from scratch.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jets-jamal-adams-trade-sam-donald-trevor-lawrence

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Lawrence by a mile

2. Ben Solak is in high school

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

 

2. Ben Solak is in high school

It doesn't matter.

He took the time to play with poor Mexican kids on a 'habitat for humanity' trip. His well-documented display of moral righteousness gives him a credibility and reputation that you and me will never have. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gun to my head?  Probably Lawrence.  Sam, as a prospect, was not far off for me.  As of today, I'm still happy we have one of the two.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than half the respondents ready to give up on Darnold if Lawrence is available. 

 

Is he really that much better?

The strongest argument has to be contract-related: Lawrence, by giving you a fresh start will take your mind off the upcoming contract extension for Darnold. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold hasnt proven anything yet so yeah Lawrence why not and who cares if he needs his own bathroom.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

More than half the respondents ready to give up on Darnold if Lawrence is available. 

 

Is he really that much better?

The strongest argument has to be contract-related: Lawrence, by giving you a fresh start will take your mind off the upcoming contract extension for Darnold. 

If Darnold doesnt prove himself soon (if there is a season) there is no extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kleckineau said:

If Darnold doesnt prove himself soon (if there is a season) there is no extension.

What does he need to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I started that thread about having 4 picks in the 1st round, Lawrence and Fields are both arguably better prospects than Darnold.  I like me some Sammy boy and I hope he puts any thought of replacing him to rest this season but you'd be foolish to think this isnt a possibility. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What does he need to do?

When he was drafted he was asked what Jets fans can expect from him and he said "A lot of wins" He needs to do exactly that. Start winning 2 out of every 3 games he starts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is why I started that thread about having 4 picks in the 1st round, Lawrence and Fields are both arguably better prospects than Darnold.  I like me some Sammy boy and I hope he puts any thought of replacing him to rest this season but you'd be foolish to think this isnt a possibility. 

The idea of fields being a better prospect is laughable

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is how I truly feel. If Sam had a flop of a year and we ended up with the 1st overall pick, it would be hard not to take Sunshine. Even Fields for that matter. We get to reset at the position, we'd still have another #1 and 2 more the year after and we'd be a much better team for a new QB their first 2 seasons than we had for Sam. We'd be in a much better spot to build a legit team while a new QB was on his rookie deal. And with a better overall prospect coming out of college.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Here is how I truly feel. If Sam had a flop of a year and we ended up with the 1st overall pick, it would be hard not to take Sunshine. Even Fields for that matter. We get to reset at the position, we'd still have another #1 and 2 more the year after and we'd be a much better team for a new QB their first 2 seasons than we had for Sam. We'd be in a much better spot to build a legit team while a new QB was on his rookie deal. And with a better overall prospect coming out of college.

 

That’s not the question and not a fair take. Any one would draft Lawrence if Darnold chatasrphically flames out. It means he played poorly enough to have the worst record in the NFl. BUT... there is no indication that Darnold will flop. He managed to improve while battling mono and having the worst OL in a decade. The question is essentially, would you trade Darnold today for the #1 pick next year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Darnold hasnt proven anything yet so yeah Lawrence why not and who cares if he needs his own bathroom.

What has Lawrence proven in the NFL?  Oh yeah nothing.  Everyone loves Lawrence based on him dominating College football with arguably the best team (Clemson and Alabama are 1A, and 1B then the rest are not even close talent wise all over the field).

Yes I think Lawrence is a terrific NFL prospect, but just like some are saying with Sam he is just that a lotto ticket.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

What does he need to do?

Win about 5 games because nobody is gonna trade back from 1, or 2 IF this guy is considered a better prospect then Darnold.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not close.

Lawrence by a country mile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any hopes of drafting Lawrence or Fields must involve trading Sam now.

 

We get all our picks plus the picks from Sam and most likely a top 2 pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The idea of fields being a better prospect is laughable

Laughable?  Let me play this out for you;

Justin Fields was a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position and then #2 prospect in the entire country.  He's the odds on favorite to win the Heisman and OSU is probably the odds on favorite to win the Nat'y, because of Fields.  

Sam Darnold was a 4 star recruit, #9 at his position and #179 prospect in the entire country.

Technically, by the #'s, Fields is a much better prospect. 

  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested this in a post from three days ago.

If Sam has a poor year, I'd trade TWO of our first round picks and Sam to move up and get TL.

And, so... My answer depends on Sam's performance this year.  And this year, will be what I think to be his defining year with the Jets.  Either he proves he's a capable franchise QB or it is time to move on...

Also... if GASE stays, TL's style is much better suited for the offense that GASE is running in comparison to Darnold's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Win about 5 games because nobody is gonna trade back from 1, or 2 IF this guy is considered a better prospect then Darnold.

 

If we can use JN as a microcosm of the Jets fanbase and media, there's every indication that the clamour for Lawrence will intensify immensely if there's a few bad games. That can't be good for Darnold, and the team...midway through the season. 

 

31 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is why I started that thread about having 4 picks in the 1st round, Lawrence and Fields are both arguably better prospects than Darnold.  I like me some Sammy boy and I hope he puts any thought of replacing him to rest this season but you'd be foolish to think this isnt a possibility. 

Better prospects by how much? I'm not convinced that any of these guys are superior talents. Are we irrationally excited by the next big thing?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Justin Fields was a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position and then #2 prospect in the entire country.  He's the odds on favorite to win the Heisman and OSU is probably the odds on favorite to win the Nat'y, because of Fields.  

Sam Darnold was a 4 star recruit, #9 at his position and #179 prospect in the entire country.

What they were on their way into college is fine, but things change in 3-4 years.

Look at Joe Burrow  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I suggested this in a post from three days ago.

If Sam has a poor year, I'd trade TWO of our first round picks and Sam to move up and get TL.

And, so... My answer depends on Sam's performance this year.  And this year, will be what I think to be his defining year with the Jets.  Either he proves he's a capable franchise QB or it is time to move on...

Also... if GASE stays, TL's style is much better suited for the offense that GASE is running in comparison to Darnold's

Yeah, that aint happening.  Youre not getting the top spot, for a top QB prospect for two of our picks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Laughable?  Let me play this out for you;

Justin Fields was a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position and then #2 prospect in the entire country.  He's the odds on favorite to win the Heisman and OSU is probably the odds on favorite to win the Nat'y, because of Fields.  

Sam Darnold was a 4 star recruit, #9 at his position and #179 prospect in the entire country.

Technically, by the #'s, Fields is a much better prospect. 

Lmao since when have High’s school recruiting rankings meant jack going into the NFL? There are hundred of 5 star recruits that don’t even get drafted. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheaters are after him 

how many guys opted out ? 6?

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cheaters are after him 

how many guys opted out ? 6?

lol

Yea those 6 guys are the difference between 9 wins and the #1 pick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Larz said:

Cheaters are after him 

how many guys opted out ? 6?

lol

 

I had him going to the Jags. But a trade-down isn't impossible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You keep drafting QBs.  So far Darnold has been an uninspiring Caspar Milquetoast. Can he be better with a revamped roster? Sure.

Will he? Who knows and anyone who declares he will with 100% certainty has an opinion that is not rooted in reality.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Yea those 6 guys are the difference between 9 wins and the #1 pick 

2 pro bowlers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is this thread possible? lol

I forgot what the busy boards could get like, Darnold has 1.5 years under his belt and has had zero around him for that time...by all means let's run him out of town, smh

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

Here is how I truly feel. If Sam had a flop of a year and we ended up with the 1st overall pick, it would be hard not to take Sunshine. Even Fields for that matter. We get to reset at the position, we'd still have another #1 and 2 more the year after and we'd be a much better team for a new QB their first 2 seasons than we had for Sam. We'd be in a much better spot to build a legit team while a new QB was on his rookie deal. And with a better overall prospect coming out of college.

 

So we're back to the MacDaddy drafting system of BPA??!

You can win a SB with Joe Flacco if you have the talent surrounding him. We can win with Sam or Lawrence..... but you need to draft quality talent to do that.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jetswin said:

How is this thread possible? lol

I forgot what the busy boards could get like, Darnold has 1.5 years under his belt and has had zero around him for that time...by all means let's run him out of town, smh

Nobody is saying run him out of town but the consensus is he needs to step it up now with a better roster. 

In the meantime if you can draft TL you do it.

BTW the survey question is misleading. It should be a yes or no question asking if the Jets should or should not draft TL if the opportunity arises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...