Trevor Lawrence vs Sam Darnold - who would you rather have?

Who is better  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the Jets QB?

Just now, Ecuadorian Jet said:

by that time the Jets had already effed him....again he was a middle of the road serviceable QB, and the Jets little by little did all they could to disrupt his development......and they are doing it again to that poor Darnold. 

Oh, poor Mark ruined by the mean old Jets.  

These are professional athletes.  Either they can play or they can't.  If a player's psyche is so fragile because of a few years spent with a bad organization, then he shouldn't have been playing pro football in the first place anyways.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

@Jetsfan80Well if you really believe that a 20 year old something out of college person is ready for what it means to become a professional player, which is unlike most other jobs, and how a good or wrong environment can in some part affect the outcome of who you are as a professional, then I dont know what to tell you. 

Why bother choosing the "right" coach or GM if those things dont matter? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

@Jetsfan80Well if you really believe that a 20 year old something out of college person is ready for what it means to become a professional player, which is unlike most other jobs, and how a good or wrong environment can in some part affect the outcome of who you are as a professional, then I dont know what to tell you. 

Why bother choosing the "right" coach or GM if dont things dont matter? 

I'm saying we've seen all these excuses for really bad QB's before, and none of them have gone on to any success elsewhere.  Our coaches have sucked.  Our ability to identify talent has been worse.  Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM in NFL history.  It should  be no surprise that he drafted this team another bust QB in a long line of bust QB's.  This is the same GM who thought Christian Hackenberg was the answer for the franchise.

If I am the Jets, if I can take a potential FQB in the 2021 draft, maybe trading up a bit to do it, I do that.  

That gives them 4 years of a rookie contract and a team to build around the rookie.   

The Cardinals reversed from Rosen and it was a good move, but they did not need to trade for Murray.   They also went out and built around Murray.

The biggest problem with the Jets is that Darnold is on year 3 but the building process is too far behind.  For awhile I thought it was because they had no cap space, but that does not appear to be the case.  

We can say 2021 is the year we break the bank to get Darnold weapons, but at that point it may be too late for Darnold-he may be ruined by then

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Why bother choosing the "right" coach or GM if those things dont matter? 

Of course it matters and is certainly important. Ask any great QB, they’ll still talk about how instrumental their college coach or first year coaches were in their lives. Peyton even in his twilight years leaned on his college coach for advice and training. Mahomes had his high school QB coach come to the SB. Favre credits his MVP seasons to Holmgren in every interview. You think 3rd round pick Joe Montana didn’t benefit from Bill Walsh? 6th round pick Tom brady would still have 6 SBs if he were drafted to the 2000 Lions?

It’s en vogue right now to trash Darnold as a Jets fan, and most of it is probably deserved. Personally I’m pissed off because I never let myself fall in love with a Jets QB, and after not even wanting Darnold in the draft, I fell for Sam and now he’s proving me wrong. However, as I said in another thread, while he very well could be hot garbage, he’s also been saddled with a career long failure at OC/HC. This is not the Cleveland Browns giving Baker every possible chance at success by bringing in weapons and getting rid of bad OCs and HCs. It’s not LJax getting drafted by a Grade A org with an elite HC who changed up his entire staff and team to facilitate LJax playing to his strengths.

It’s an idiotic team structure where the owners decide when and whom to hire to run the team, and it’s them constantly messing up the timings and picking sh*tty people. 

The Jets had their shot at McCarthy, Kliff, and Rhule - and they came away with Adam ******* Gase and Dowell ******* Loggains, and then posters here want to say that none of that matters.

• Post of the Week 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, nico002 said:

Lmao since when have High’s school recruiting rankings meant jack going into the NFL? There are hundred of 5 star recruits that don’t even get drafted. 

Wrong.

-----

But being a five-star recruit is no sure thing on the road to the NFL. We went back and looked at Rivals.com's five-star recruits from 2002 (when their rankings started) through the 2010 class (figuring that most five-star recruits wouldn't have lasted more than four years in college).

Here's what we found:

» There were 262 recruits given five-star status. There were as many as 38 five stars in one class, in 2002, and as few as 25, in both 2003 and 2004. The average number of five-star recruits in a class was 29.

» Of those 262, 116 were drafted (44.3 percent) and 42 went in the first round (16 percent); 38 percent of the five stars who were drafted were first-rounders.

https://www.nfl.com/news/year-by-year-look-at-five-star-college-football-recruits-0ap2000000320664

• Upvote 1

On 9/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

These are professional athletes.  Either they can play or they can't.  If a player's psyche is so fragile because of a few years spent with a bad organization, then he shouldn't have been playing pro football in the first place anyways.  

Surround QB with an elite defense and elite running game and a bunch of expensive FA WRs. We ruined him!

Surround QB with garbage. We ruined him!

On 9/14/2020 at 12:40 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

I agree, the "ruined young QB" trope is overdone. Notice how Steve Young was not "ruined" in Tampa Bay. Tannehill was not "ruined" in Miami. etc. 

I do, however, think that an organization can greatly impede a QB's development/confidence, but I think if you were going to be good, you eventually figure it out, and if you were going to bust, you eventually bust. 

• Upvote 3