Chris vouching for Woody

slats

Christopher Johnson calling Jets players to discuss his brother

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 29, 2020, 6:00 AM EDT

gettyimages-853069464-e1559989895424.jpg
Getty Images

Christopher Johnson is cleaning up his brother’s mess, and he’s apparently doing it one Jets player at a time.

The acting CEO of the team disputed reports that owner Woody Johnson made racist and sexist remarks during his work as the United States’ ambassador to the United Kingdom, but he’s going beyond making a statement to his top football guys.

Via Charles McDonald of the New York Daily News, Jets coach Adam Gase says Christopher Johnson is calling players individually to discuss the situation.

He’s gone through almost our entire roster as far as contacting these guys himself and spending time on the phone with these guys,” Gase said. “Whether it be FaceTime or a phone call, he’s trying to talk to every guy on our roster. Working for a guy that is single-handedly calling every single player on our roster, and he’s been doing that for the past two weeks, I’ve been very impressed with how he’s gone about this.”

Gase said Christopher Johnson called him the day the initial report emerged.

“Christopher called me the day all that came out,” Gase said. “Knowing Christopher and spending the amount of time that I have with him, I believe exactly what he says and I think Christopher has done a great job.”

Of course, convincing players it’s a healthy work environment might require more than vouching for his brother, as they just traded their disgruntled best player for future picks.

I really don’t see Woody as being a malevolent racist and/or sexist person.

He is an entitled spoiled white male buffoon who has led an isolated life.   He is clueless about how the real world works. He should leave the the football team to his Chris and paid professionals.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, varjet said:

He is an entitled spoiled white male buffoon who has led an isolated life.   He is clueless about how the real world works. He should leave the the football team to his Chris and paid professionals.  

100%. He probably has casually said mildly racist or sexist things -- because he's a coddled buffoon who doesn't know better. Does not strike me as a guy who has any malice in his heart.

I'm glad Chris is reaching out to players individually. I think that kind of effort genuinely does make a difference.

• Sympathy 2

Call to white players:

"So, hey....its Christopher. Yeah, Johnson, Chris Johnson? Soooo....how's it going? Everyone healthy? Good, good! Ok, so, uh, my idiot brother apparently said some stupid stuff from what I hear...you good? Oh, you hadn't heard? Yeah, uh, he, I guess said some stuff people are mad at...yup, race and sex. You got it. Yeah, in England. OK. So, just wanted to give you a heads up on that, in case you get asked about it. No, not cool. Yup. Yeah, look it up  its all over CNN, Mother Jones,, and those websites. Yeah, I know. Stupid. OK,  so, good talk! See you soon, hope all is well and we have a great season! OK!

Bye."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, varjet said:

I remember a time when mentioning a person's race to discredit them was bad.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I agree. I think he’s just an old white guy at this state of the game. 

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Call to white players:

"So, hey....its Christopher. Yeah, Johnson, Chris Johnson? Soooo....how's it going? Everyone healthy? Good, good! Ok, so, uh, my idiot brother apparently said some stupid stuff from what I hear...you good? Oh, you hadn't heard? Yeah, uh, he, I guess said some stuff people are mad at...yup, race and sex. You got it. Yeah, in England. OK. So, just wanted to give you a heads up on that, in case you get asked about it. No, not cool. Yup. Yeah, look it up  its all over CNN, Mother Jones,, and those websites. Yeah, I know. Stupid. OK,  so, good talk! See you soon, hope all is well and we have a great season! OK!

Bye."

Happy Birthday! 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not sure what that means, exactly. Inappropriate or insensitive is incredibly subjective today. 

Based on what I’ve read, it means the inspector general found evidence through witnesses that the allegations were true and it could lead to some corrective action. That said, it’s unclear if this is actually going to be looked into further, but it warrants it. He could lose his job, but the current administration has left it mostly up to others to resign. Not sure that will happen here. 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:27 PM, UntouchableCrew said:

100%. He probably has casually said mildly racist or sexist things -- because he's a coddled buffoon who doesn't know better. Does not strike me as a guy who has any malice in his heart.

I'm glad Chris is reaching out to players individually. I think that kind of effort genuinely does make a difference.

I think a LOT of older people say things that are mildly racist or sexist.

If you had a transcript of all the conversations I had with friends when I was growing up (I'm 47) you would find things that are out of line.   They'd make fun of me for being Polish/Italian.  I'd make fun of them for being Hispanic.  If someone did something stupid they were called a fag.  (bad word, sorry).   My father in law is probably a bit like Woody.  He's 73, grew up in Ark, served in Vietnam.   The phrases he used for 50 years are not used now, but they are so ingrained he still says them sometimes.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If you had a transcript of all the conversations I had with friends when I was growing up (I'm 47) you would find things that are out of line.   They'd make fun of me for being Polish/Italian.  I'd make fun of them for being Hispanic.  If someone did something stupid they were called a fag.  (bad word, sorry).   My father in law is probably a bit like Woody.  He's 73, grew up in Ark, served in Vietnam.   The phrases he used for 50 years are not used now, but they are so ingrained he still says them sometimes.

I think this is a good representation of the issue.  Every now and then my kids will look at me and say something like "Dad, you can't SAY that anymore".  I hate when people are being judged for things they did or said 30 years ago under today's lens, but Woody's transgressions, if you will, are more recent and warrant him being a bit more diligent going forward.

Back to Jets matters, I have to say I am not unhappy with Chris Johnson and really hope he remains as the active voice in ownership for this team.  He seems highly connected to the team and players, and is active in trying to make the team better.  Looking around the league today, we could  do worse.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Back to Jets matters, I have to say I am not unhappy with Chris Johnson and really hope he remains as the active voice in ownership for this team.  He seems highly connected to the team and players, and is active in trying to make the team better.  Looking around the league today, we could  do worse.

Christopher Johnson is the best Jets owner of your lifetimes, if you look at where we were in 2016 and where we are right now it is an amazing transformation of the entire organization from top to bottom.  

If Trump gets re-elected, do we know if Woody is going to stay in the UK for another 4 years?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

On 7/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, slats said:

Christopher Johnson calling Jets players to discuss his brother

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 29, 2020, 6:00 AM EDT

gettyimages-853069464-e1559989895424.jpg
Getty Images

Christopher Johnson is cleaning up his brother’s mess, and he’s apparently doing it one Jets player at a time.

The acting CEO of the team disputed reports that owner Woody Johnson made racist and sexist remarks during his work as the United States’ ambassador to the United Kingdom, but he’s going beyond making a statement to his top football guys.

Via Charles McDonald of the New York Daily News, Jets coach Adam Gase says Christopher Johnson is calling players individually to discuss the situation.

He’s gone through almost our entire roster as far as contacting these guys himself and spending time on the phone with these guys,” Gase said. “Whether it be FaceTime or a phone call, he’s trying to talk to every guy on our roster. Working for a guy that is single-handedly calling every single player on our roster, and he’s been doing that for the past two weeks, I’ve been very impressed with how he’s gone about this.”

Gase said Christopher Johnson called him the day the initial report emerged.

“Christopher called me the day all that came out,” Gase said. “Knowing Christopher and spending the amount of time that I have with him, I believe exactly what he says and I think Christopher has done a great job.”

Of course, convincing players it’s a healthy work environment might require more than vouching for his brother, as they just traded their disgruntled best player for future picks.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Agreed and because we lack diplomatic skills we probably shouldn't be able to purchase the job of Ambassador to Great Britain for the USA.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Riggins said:

If you have any questions about woody Johnson the man, it was the day he took over the Jets that Parcels resigned as coach and started dismantling the team as GM, and the next day Belecheat resigned as head coach,  the reason, wj

Bill Parcells resigned as HC of the Jets on January 3, 2000

Bill Belichick resigned as HC of the Jets on January 4, 2000

Woody Johnson bought the Jets on January 11, 2000

Why must people make things up?

23 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think this is a good representation of the issue.  Every now and then my kids will look at me and say something like "Dad, you can't SAY that anymore".  I hate when people are being judged for things they did or said 30 years ago under today's lens, but Woody's transgressions, if you will, are more recent and warrant him being a bit more diligent going forward.

We were eating lunch at work one day and I dont remember the context but I called an Asian an Oriental and had a younger employee give me the same "you cant say that".  Said it was racist or something stupid when it was just a word we always used for asians.  I didnt get the racist part but from that point on I never said Oriental and still I'm not a racist so all good I guess.

Oriental for Asian is pretty mild, since Oriental was never really an insulting word for an Asian.  I also never quite got why Asians disliked it, but people have the right to be called whatever they want, so I stopped using it too.  I think the things Woody said were stronger than that.

73 is not that old, we're not talking the WWII generation here.  Woody was a young teenager during the Civil Rights era, he's too young to be excused by reason of ignorance.  The change in how you address people was well underway by the time Woody hit adulthood.

• Upvote 1

Hey dum dums
People are Asian
Furniture is oriental

When you say a person is oriental that's describing them as if they were a rug

Oriental for Asian is pretty mild, since Oriental was never really an insulting word for an Asian.  I also never quite got why Asians disliked it, but people have the right to be called whatever they want, so I stopped using it too.  I think the things Woody said were stronger than that.

73 is not that old, we're not talking the WWII generation here.  Woody was a young teenager during the Civil Rights era, he's too young to be excused by reason of ignorance.  The change in how you address people was well underway by the time Woody hit adulthood.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Woody's 3 year term as Ambassador is over in Jan. 2021. So even if Trump wins he will be back to the US and maybe the Jets unless his term is renewed. The IG report on his behavior and derogatory racial and sexist comments is out there and the recommendation was for further investigation but they acknowledged there was a problem. As for the allegations that he tried to influence golf interests in the UK to have the British Open at Trump's golf course. There was a separate IG report on that and it's been made classified. 

4 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

OMG that's terrible. I almost spit out my fried meatball on a fork, thinking about it.

Dude I have to ask what are you doing eating fried meatball fork at 6am 

did you just get back from the strippies? are those even a thing anymore? 

forget all this nonsense tell us either how amazing your night was to be eating meatballs at this time of day or how desperate and terrible your life has become that this is breakfast

either way should make for entertainment 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Hey dum dums
People are Asian
Furniture is oriental

When you say a person is oriental that's describing them as if they were a rug.

Really?  Is that why anthropologists referred to the great civilizations of the New World as "oriental monarchies"?  Because the Incas made some nice carpets?