NY Daily News and Manish Metha

Rich

7 hours ago, GreekJet said:

What are you talking about? Mehta did absolutely nothing wrong in the Adams story. This was not one of his anonymous tips that are impossible to vette. We are talking about getting a team captain on the record to say this stuff. Every reporter on earth is going to run with that story. 

he was Jamal's marionette

Joker Jim Marionette | Marionettes.cz

15 hours ago, JTJet said:

Legit question. 

When is it enough for a team to pull a reporter's credentials? Has that ever happened before? 

This has to be the most rediculous  thing I ever heard. You are asking that his press credentials be pulled because you don't  like what he is writing? Are you kidding me? He is writing his opinion. We are allowed to do this. There are plenty of people on this forum that imo start threads about mind blowingly inept things like trading Sam. Should we ban all those people as well? Sports news just like any news, it is what you want it to be. Metha has been at this for years, possibly  decades. So has Cannizaro and Serby. They all do the same thing by injecting their opinion  or coloring a story. If you don't  like it, don't  read it or you can write and email to the writer. Believe it or not, they answer those emails. I know because I have had back and forth exchanges with other writers. 

Taking his credentials  is not going to change anything because Metha is filling a niche with his reporting and someone else will be writing what he does. It will do nothing except show how sensitive  the Jets are to criticism on top of just being wrong. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Claymation said:

Not on this particular story, but Mehta broke the cardinal rule of Journalism.

Report the news, don't create the news. 

I believe that is why many people take exception with Mehta. The press are the eyes and ears of the public, not their voice.

If that is the cardinal rule, you should never turn your TV on ever again. 

17 hours ago, GreekJet said:

How is the Adams story a pack of lies? Adams went on the record. Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but anybody would have ran with the story. 

Because the Adams piece isnt the first piece hes written?

And they all have the same tone?

And if you ask questions the right way, you'll get the answers you want in the right environment.  Why are all of Manish's hit pieces written the same way, have the same tone and are pretty much different that others?  

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because the Adams piece isnt the first piece hes written?

And they all have the same tone?

And if you ask questions the right way, you'll get the answers you want in the right environment.  Why are all of Manish's hit pieces written the same way, have the same tone and are pretty much different that others?  

if Adams answer weren't  so radically off from what a player should be saying, I would agree with this but how else can you ask Adams your opinion of your HC and GM and not get the answer he did?

Just now, More Cowbell said:

if Adams answer weren't  so radically off from what a player should be saying, I would agree with this but how else can you ask Adams your opinion of your HC and GM and not get the answer he did?

If Adams had any clue of what Mehta said about Gase earlier he's already tainted though.

And if Manish asks, "Is Gase as bad a leader as I've been told".?

Not hard to do.  And I believe Manish has an agenda to stir the shlt when it comes to the Jets.  Hes done it too long with too many Jets HC's, players, etc.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Rich said:

I understand that the NY Daily News has basically become a blog due to their financial problems, and cant employ top talent, but their "reporting" (specifically Metha) on the Jets and especially the Adams situation, has been as disgusting as Adams´ conduct. Today Mr. Burner Account is lecturing Gase on using the Adams situation to become a better coach. Thats pretty rich considering that Adams used Metha to spew his BS and Metha used Adams to finally get a real story, even though we know Adams story is a pack of lies. Two con men who deserve each other. 

I know he comes on the podcast so I dont want to get in trouble here, but Im sorry, Metha has disgraced himself with his highly inaccurate reporting and has used his position to hurt the team and for me thats too much. Im no fan of Gase, but I am a fan of my team and hes the head coach so making it harder for him is not something I think a beat reporter should be doing. He has a right to his opinion, I get it. He has every right to call guys out but free speech requires responsibility when you are part of the press and frankly, lying is lying. At some point (now) you lose all credibility.  He can make any point he wants without having to inject himself into it. But its not about that for him, its about him to him and about his personal vendetta. Too bad he didnt go to Seattle with JaSmall.   

The NYT is not far behind.  

• Upvote 1

Pull a reporters credentials because you dont like what he writes and the NYDNs isnt the problem, the NFL will come down on you. Teams cant decide who writes nice things and limit press credentials to only those outlets 

17 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Whose got the odds on which of the JN board members is actually Metha?

Given his overly optimistic outlook on all things Jets and his love of Adam Gase I'd say he has to be, no question about it,   photo-thumb-28455.jpeg.c28fb9f906e374573976a6a5a044ad89.jpeg

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Claymation said:

Not on this particular story, but Mehta broke the cardinal rule of Journalism.

Report the news, don't create the news. 

I believe that is why many people take exception with Mehta. The press are the eyes and ears of the public, not their voice.

Those days are long gone.

Information has become easily accessible, so the media is no longer an intermediary - its just another spectator with an [amplified] opinion. 

Subscriber-based news is the only sustainable business model in the digital media space. 

I'm OK with this development. I can find my own niche - like this forum - or other online jets communities - and completely bypass the NY Post, the NYDN, etc. Opinionated journalists are less important, and lacking in originality; so they are easy to ignore. 

I'm surprised we still have people reading Manish and co. here. He has about as much access as you or me. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

Whose got the odds on which of the JN board members is actually Metha?

My guess... ? 

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Why do you guys care so much about a reporter?

He’s a professional antagonist. It’s his job.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This has to be the most rediculous  thing I ever heard. You are asking that his press credentials be pulled because you don't  like what he is writing? Are you kidding me? He is writing his opinion. We are allowed to do this. There are plenty of people on this forum that imo start threads about mind blowingly inept things like trading Sam. Should we ban all those people as well? Sports news just like any news, it is what you want it to be. Metha has been at this for years, possibly  decades. So has Cannizaro and Serby. They all do the same thing by injecting their opinion  or coloring a story. If you don't  like it, don't  read it or you can write and email to the writer. Believe it or not, they answer those emails. I know because I have had back and forth exchanges with other writers. 

Taking his credentials  is not going to change anything because Metha is filling a niche with his reporting and someone else will be writing what he does. It will do nothing except show how sensitive  the Jets are to criticism on top of just being wrong. 

I think you need to take a Xanax. 

I was legitimately asking a serious question, if that had ever happened before and what it takes for something like that to happen. 

I'm not marching down the street with a banner that says "Fire Manish or die", but there IS a discernible difference between the type of stuff Manish writes compared to other writers and how he goes about his job, it's called journalistic integrity. This is especially true when you compare him to other teams beat reporters. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Pull a reporters credentials because you dont like what he writes and the NYDNs isnt the problem, the NFL will come down on you. Teams cant decide who writes nice things and limit press credentials to only those outlets 

Agreed.... It's not the teams place to censor him. 

They can ice him out and leave him uninformed but they can't cherry pick who reports in them, even in this dystopia. Just keep him starved of info and be curt in their interactions.

They have their own in house hack Eric Allen to give their equally ridiculous optimistic counter narrative. 

However, we can ridicule Mehta into oblivion. He is a hack and his takes are garbage. I believe he hides amongst us here on the boards.

invasion of the body snatchers GIF

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lets not all pile on Fidelio now.  :(

He likes it.

He doesn't get enough attention at home so he plays the contrarian Eeyore here and gets people bite on his sad sack takes. 

Or

He's Mehta which would be more fun.

Either way he's one of us and will be treated as such.... Which generally means treated unwell.

joined one of us GIF

• Haha 3

I don't have a problem with him existing on this sports beat.  Hacks will always exist.  What I have a problem is when some Jets fan guru or Twitter personality tries to use him as a creditable beat reporter.  Nope.  Not falling for that... 

The moment you mention his name it's over. I'll delete any podcast that downloads the moment I see his name.  I'll disregard any thread title that says "Manish reports."  And again.... I've got no problem with hack reporters.  One of my favorite HS  instructors  in school wrote sensationalist yellow journalism for a number of papers. But I'll never qualify anything Manish says in any way, shape or form.  If he has to be brought up again qnd again on this site.  Fine.  I'll just see ____ and _____ _____.  There is no way I will ever acknowledge his writing in any way.  He can do what he does and I will completely tune it out.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, slats said:

My guess... ? 

While I’m not him. I do happen to agree with him quite often.  Most of you do too. Just don’t like to hear it. 

Gase is a bad coach

Gase has a history of not getting along with his players

Johnson’s are bad owners 

Sure. He makes stuff up sometimes, often uses “anonymous”  sources - but that’s no different than the vast majority of all the media right now. 

as far as beat reporters go, he’s a good one. Keeps things interesting.  Stirs the pot.  Frankly, the Jets are such a sh_t show they need someone to call them out on their failures. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, JTJet said:

I think you need to take a Xanax. 

I was legitimately asking a serious question, if that had ever happened before and what it takes for something like that to happen. 

I'm not marching down the street with a banner that says "Fire Manish or die", but there IS a discernible difference between the type of stuff Manish writes compared to other writers and how he goes about his job, it's called journalistic integrity. This is especially true when you compare him to other teams beat reporters. 

Seriously? He writes stuff about a dysfunctional football team. I would say being assigned  to be the beat writer for the Jets is about as close to journalistic purgatory  as you can get. He probably feels like he's  being punished for something  he did in a former life. 

Personally, when I read something a sports writer writes that is an opinion piece and I don't  agree with it, I think to myself, this guy is clueless  and go on to the next story, I never thought this guy should have his press credentials  revoked and we should impead his ability  to earn a living. You can spin this all you want that you were only asking a question but the truth is, you thought that should be done or you would not have asked. 

39 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Seriously? He writes stuff about a dysfunctional football team. I would say being assigned  to be the beat writer for the Jets is about as close to journalistic purgatory  as you can get. He probably feels like he's  being punished for something  he did in a former life. 

Personally, when I read something a sports writer writes that is an opinion piece and I don't  agree with it, I think to myself, this guy is clueless  and go on to the next story, I never thought this guy should have his press credentials  revoked and we should impead his ability  to earn a living. You can spin this all you want that you were only asking a question but the truth is, you thought that should be done or you would not have asked. 

No. Hence why I said "legit question" or maybe you missed the first two words I type in a very short post? 

You can make the argument "he is just doing his job and earning a living " all you want, but I can easily make an argument that how he goes about his job is a large part of what keeps the Jets looking dysfunctional. Even when good things happen, they are painted in a negative light, and because the local sports media acts like that, the national sports media picks it up and runs with it. 

What's more likely, 3 completely inept regimes in a row that do nothing good, or a douche reporter that preys on every minor detail to exploit making the team look bad at every turn for page clicks? There is a common denominator here and it's the media, in 2020 I shouldnt have to explain this. 

I have lived in Indianapolis half my adult life, and good or bad, the local media here rarely goes at the Colts in the way that Manish does the Jets, and I can absolutely assure you there have been much more spicer stories happening behind the scenes of the Colts with things players/coaches/owners do that does not get reported on. 

Peyton Mannings extra marital shenanigans. Jim Irsay partying with dead hookers. Marvin Harrison killing a man at a car wash. I can go on and on.

• WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, JTJet said:

No. Hence why I said "legit question" or maybe you missed the first two words I type in a very short post? 

You can make the argument "he is just doing his job and earning a living " all you want, but I can easily make an argument that how he goes about his job is a large part of what keeps the Jets looking dysfunctional. 

Ok, I got this far.

If you think Manish is the reason we held onto Rex as long as we did, why we moved up to draft Sanchez, why we extended Wilk, why we drafted  Hackenberg, why Idzik, Bowels, and Mac were hired, why we didn't  draft any OL with high draft picks until we practically  got two QB's killed last season, why we drafted nothing but DL in the first round over and over again for years,  why we spent a first and a second round pick on 2 S in the same draft, then your right,  the Jets should do everything they can to keep him as far away from the team as possible. 

hack my life kitchen GIF by truTV

41 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, I got this far.

If you think Manish is the reason we held onto Rex as long as we did, why we moved up to draft Sanchez, why we extended Wilk, why we drafted  Hackenberg, why Idzik, Bowels, and Mac were hired, why we didn't  draft any OL with high draft picks until we practically  got two QB's killed last season, why we drafted nothing but DL in the first round over and over again for years,  why we spent a first and a second round pick on 2 S in the same draft, then your right,  the Jets should do everything they can to keep him as far away from the team as possible. 

hack my life kitchen GIF by truTV

Very convenient leaving out going to 2 AFC Championship games with that QB, drafting a future hall of fame CB before that, over performing with decimated rosters, getting top values in trades of and for subpar and star players, not wasting money on one of those safeties a previous regime drafted, drafting Sam Darnold. 

If you focus only on the negative. All you will see is negative... just like Manish. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

1. While I’m not him. I do happen to agree with him quite often.  Most of you do too. Just don’t like to hear it. 

2. Gase is a bad coach

3. Gase has a history of not getting along with his players

4. Johnson’s are bad owners 

5. Sure. He makes stuff up sometimes, often uses “anonymous”  sources - but that’s no different than the vast majority of all the media right now. 

6. As far as beat reporters go, he’s a good one. Keeps things interesting.  Stirs the pot.  Frankly, the Jets are such a sh_t show they need someone to call them out on their failures. 

1.  Not so sure, hard to tell, this post bears that out.  Two of your complaints have nothing to do with whether Manish is a hack or not. 

2. Maybe, maybe not, give it time instead of adding him to your list of complaints

3. No he doesnt.  Hes just like every other HC, vast majority will like him, a small amount won't.  And you'll harp on it

4. Eh

5. Making stuff up is a cardinal sin for a reporter, especially a beat reporter

6. As far as beat reporters go, he's the least liked, makes up the most shlt and somehow manages to make Cimini look like a pulitzer winner.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, predator_05 said:

Information has become easily accessible, so the media is no longer an intermediary - its just another spectator with an [amplified] opinion. 

Its not so much that its easily accessible, its that its so competitive and the competition is for clicks from a wide variety of outlets.  Used to be I got the NYDN for the morning commute, Newsday over lunch and the Post for the return commute given they had a late sports section.   Now its how many different outlets, 15 times those 3 stalwarts for NYC commuters?  

So Enquirer BS like sneaking pictures of a vacationing Rex after the season ender never used to happen.