Significant pieces - going forward with four first round picks in two years

derp

Been thinking lately about what the additional first round picks mean for the Jets going forward and how Joe Douglas is going to use them.

I think we can agree that Douglas is a guy with a long-term, build through the draft perspective. No deals past three years this offseason. Additionally many picks were used to fill holes that were upcoming rather than holes that already exist.

Looking at the philosophy of teams like the Ravens - they'll pounce on a veteran in a unique circumstance for sure. But they let more guys go in FA vs. guys they sign but retain depth via FA, draft, comp picks and when someone leaves it ends up being next guy up.

In that light, I think Douglas is going to want to add foundational pieces with those first round picks. Small sample size so far - but left tackle with his first round pick is a potential foundational piece. Wide receiver in the second is a key position as well. I do think that teams like the Ravens get cute sometimes but often because they're drafting with strength at those foundational positions. And sometimes they take the key ones for depth anyway.

So my question is - what positions do you think the Jets take with those four first round picks?

Bonus, if you want, any other critical acquisitions - draft, FA, or trade. I.e. I don't think Douglas drafts a running back in the first round but a second rounder next year is used on a feature back, etc. I think FA and big trade acquisitions are hard sells given Douglas and the way that the league operates but certainly curious what's on peoples' minds there as well.

tl;dr discuss positions to be taken in the first round with four picks in the next two drafts

At least two of those picks need to be OL unless 2 players on the roster outside of becton become pro bowl level players 

obviously pass rusher is another need and you can never have too many. Funny enough I don’t think we need safety help at all, CB is a week position but I hate drafting CBs high, it seems so rare that they turn out to be worth it with premium picks. If a “Revis” level player is there then yea you take them, but using this year as an example I would not have used a 1st round pick on a CB,

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

OLB, CB, WR, G/C will all be in the mix.. 

They would love to kick mcgovern to guard (there was a lot of talk about drafting a center this year and moving him over), so I think with that later first you can see a G/C/ WR.. The earlier picks i think you will see a highly rated OLB or WR come off with CB being the sneaky pick if there is a great player there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Forgot to add - following are the guys besides UDFA's who are signed through 2022 (will still be signed when the second draft takes place). Minus Enunwa who's basically retired. Darnold's option year so he's under team control. I kind of figured OL was going to be a possible choice - pretty much every likely starting OL this year is signed over the next three seasons. So there could be a group with two years of continuity heading into 2022.

QB - Morgan

WR - Mims

RB - Perine

TE - Griffin, Wesco

C - McGovern

G - Van Roten, Lewis, Clark

T - Becton, Fant, Edoga

DL - Q

Edge - Zuniga

ILB - Cashman

CB - Austin, Hall

S - Davis

LS - Hennessy

P - Mann

Top priority: Edge pass rusher 

After that I'd have CB1/WR1/RT/IOL all relatively similar in terms of needs and where I value them. Whereas IOL may not be as important as some of the other positions - I view it as a serious weakness at the moment as you have two below average starting guards on this team right now and it'll help Sam so I bumped it up with that group. 

Looking like another good draft for WRs next year. 

Depends on how Sam does with a Perriman etc but I'm thinking Mims and more

Plus depending on what we get from Bell and what they decide on his Jets future, may need to go looking for a lead back if Bell is gone after 2 seasons.

OL is too obvious a need

• Upvote 3

obviously a lot of who douglas drafts and what positions depends on what happens this season with the current group.  but if the guys he picked make out reasonably well then the jets need to start thinking about adding impact players like edge and cb and even wr.  the interior of the oline seems pretty good right now.  clark will either be depth or even start.  next season he should start.  another tackle could be worked into the mix assuming edoga doesn't pan out or fant can't play well enough.  i suppose there's always a chance becton won't work out but it's hard to see how he won't.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

BPA

angry half baked GIFDont Put That Evil On Me Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry, but no... Been there done that the last decade. How have all our BPA DL worked out? It's the cowards route for not making a real choice and owning it. BPA only works if you already have a good team with no glaring needs. Did we need a BPA DL last year? No, we needed OL or an edge rusher, but our former coward GM went BPA thinking he covered his ass by doing so. I wouldn't say reach for need either, but there has to be a balance between need, talent, and position played.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Here's what I'd do;

Sign Clowney - takes the pressure off of having to find a pass rusher and really should solidify the D for awhile with just some plug in fixtures along the way.  This allows the focus to be building around Sam.  

Draft - OL, WR, RB next year. I love the prospects in the first 3 rounds in each category.  I think we could easily walk away from RD2 next season with 3 future long term starters at those positions.  Hypothetically that could look like Ross/Entennie from Clemson as new weapons for Darnold and then throw in the best available OL prospect in RD2.  With Becton/Mims/Herndon/Perrine (and relatively young potential keepers in Perriman/Crowder) suddenly you have a very potent, young offense.  

2022 is too far out but ideally its the fine tuning draft that makes you a contender.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Here's what I'd do;

Sign Clowney - takes the pressure off of having to find a pass rusher and really should solidify the D for awhile with just some plug in fixtures along the way.  This allows the focus to be building around Sam.  

Draft - OL, WR, RB next year. I love the prospects in the first 3 rounds in each category.  I think we could easily walk away from RD2 next season with 3 future long term starters at those positions.  Hypothetically that could look like Ross/Entennie from Clemson as new weapons for Darnold and then throw in the best available OL prospect in RD2.  With Becton/Mims/Herndon/Perrine (and relatively young potential keepers in Perriman/Crowder) suddenly you have a very potent, young offense.  

2022 is too far out but ideally its the fine tuning draft that makes you a contender.  

Clowney on a short deal, sure. He adds a potential pass rush without being all John Abraham'ish on the run. (So many times Abe would rush hard up field only to take himself out of the play as the RB went through his gap.) I don't know college prospects but OL, WR, and RB, and maybe even the right LB all sound right for the first few rounds provided the talent is there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

BPA

BPA in the hands of a guy like Joe Douglas seems a lot better than BPA in the hands of Mike McCoffee who used #6 and #3 picks on DTs, and another #6 on a Safety.

I somehow think Joe D will unlock more value with players like DE, OT, WR, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I had a premonition...that hiring of JD as GM NYJ...was a signature moment for positive change in the Jets fortunes.  His moves in FA and how he played the 2020 draft...only fueled that feeling even more.  Now this trade...clinches it for me.  

Four 1st round picks over the next two years. 

The 2021 draft has potentially 11 NYJ picks.  No...it's not an Idzik Dirty Dozen.   It's an Eleven from Heaven.  Five chips in the first three rounds...seven all together through rounds 1-4.  All in the hands of a Summa Cum Laude grad...from the Newsome School for GM graduates.   

Can you feel it:Loveheart:

::GoJets:

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

The Jets gave up a ton of picks to pick a QB at 3 in 2018 who actually looks pretty decent.

But for the 2020 season, they traded their best player and have lots of picks in the future.  We are going to forget about the future picks if the team is not any good in 2020. 

I want to be a franchise that drafts premium positions in the first round 

• Corners, Edge Rushers, Elite WR's and Offensive Tackles

If we have picks in the bottom of the first, I'm a little more flexible. But I think we've found out first hand that if you're a franchise taking safeties and interior d-lineman in the first 25 picks, you're doing it wrong. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, varjet said:

The Jets gave up a ton of picks to pick a QB at 3 in 2018 who actually looks pretty decent.

But for the 2020 season, they traded their best player and have lots of picks in the future.  We are going to forget about the future picks if the team is not any good in 2020. 

If the team isn't any good, ALL we'll be thinking about is our future picks . . .

• Upvote 1

I probably should be fair and give my take in my own thread.

Overall, I think that with a young QB on a talent deprived offense in a league where it’s all about putting points on the board, adding offensive talent is important.

So I think a WR with at least one of those four picks is very likely. Next year’s class is good, the next class probably will be too - seems to be the new en vogue position in the sport, Perriman isn’t signed past next year, good to add weapons for Darnold, and it’s Crowder’s last year too.

I also think edge is very likely. It’s a premium position, you find them all over the first round, and it’s been a need forever. This is kind of why I started the thread, really. The Jets desperately need to improve the offense - but they need pass rushers too and have forever. The ability to draft an edge in the first round without feeling like the team is ignoring Darnold’s supporting cast is a huge difference that this trade made, IMO.

The last two are wild cards so I’ll take stabs. Safety has decent depth and can be addressed later in the draft, particularly looking for a SS type. Free safeties with range are rare so if Davis hits it’s a big find. No ILB, please and thank you. Maccagnan is long gone. 

I’ll concede running back is possible but I’d expect it with one of the three day 2 picks next year. Interior offensive line is really only a second half of the first round pick and I think Douglas has quietly invested a lot there. Possible, but I don’t expect it. Darnold would have to regress for a QB, though it is possible, but I don’t think that’s a four first round pick situation.

The Jets have tons of young, non premium corners. Williams runs tons of zone. It’s a viable option if the right guy is there but I don’t think it happens. Right tackle would require Fant and Edoga to fall flat on their face. Do I believe firmly in either guy? Not really. Do I think one of them takes the job? More likely than not.

That leaves us with defensive line, tight end, and a double dip at either receiver or edge. Next year’s tight end class looks like it will be excellent, Darnold loves throwing to the tight end, and Herndon hasn’t proved to be reliable yet. Next year is early but it could happen, especially late in the first. Defensive line has been too much for too long. I think Douglas finds a way to retain depth and talent there without drafting one in the first over the next two. Likely more late rounders next year along with prudent re-signing of young guys and use of the PS. I think two receivers and a tight end would be a lot. So bookend edges makes sense - nothing stopping that. 

WR-TE-EDGE-EDGE is where I land. This will be fun when I go 0-4.

I think edge has now become a priority.

If a stud tackle is there or center I think u take one or the other. not both because I think Seattles pick is in the twenties if they have their usual year. I rather go for an honest to Gawd can't miss running back. Then I might look for a big time up the seam tight end, if not, the last pick I go best available wide out with jets. So edge, tackle, running back and tight end or wideout with speed. If only.