Sports with no fans in attendance

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Come on. It's  wierd. I watched two basketball games last night. You can hear the sneakers squeaking on the hardwood. 

You can hear that with fans in the stands.  I've never watched a basketball game in person or on TV where I couldn't hear the sound of shoes.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Only watch UFC, MLB, Soccer, NBA, dead to me, and most everyone else. Check the ratings. Because of Covid they might get a bump but that will die eventually. 

On a side note I know the manager of Top Game Management who trains Calvin Kattar, dudes on the rise & had a great fight with Dan Ige. 

You watch UFC and Soccer but think no one cares about the NBA?

That's interesting.

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

You can hear that with fans in the stands.  I've never watched a basketball game in person or on TV where I couldn't hear the sound of shoes.

You barely hear it normally. At least it was never so outfront as far as audio. A lot of times it's  drowned out by crowd noise or the organ

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s surreal in the “why even play?” way, but money is money. Incidentally, I watched ten minutes of WNBA basketball today and that is the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Had to be at least five missed layups in those ten minutes. I saw a breakaway off of a steal where the woman was a solid ten feet out in front of her defender, but she had to stop in the key and pull the ball back out because she couldn’t dribble and run at the same time. Really brutal. 

Me and buddy accidentally showed up for a Nebraska Women's Basketball game couple years back (got schedule mixed up with the mens team) and what I noticed was that both teams really played fundamentally sound basketball....waaaaaaaaaay different than the mens team.

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

Me and buddy accidentally showed up for a Nebraska Women's Basketball game couple years back (got schedule mixed up with the mens team) and what I noticed was that both teams really played fundamentally sound basketball....waaaaaaaaaay different than the mens team.

I get that it’s the cool dudebro thing to sh*t on the WNBA, but for my friends with daughters that are into playing sports the existence of that league really does make a huge difference for them. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I get that it’s the cool dudebro thing to sh*t on the WNBA, but for my friends with daughters that are into playing sports the existence of that league really does make a huge difference for them. 

I'm sure that is true.  That doesn't make the sport more interesting to watch.

Acknowledging that it's not the most exciting product in the sports landscape is not sh*tting all over it.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Very un”woke” of you Tom, smh

yeah but no sh!t

Love stuff like this 

The WNBA had lower ratings than bowling just a couple years ago and many of the teams lose money every year. At some point these people (blind idealists) need to learn how to think and analyze as opposed to just whine like children. I had a female friend who also runs on blind idealism and refused to look at the ratings when I mentioned this fact to her because ignorance is bliss and she knew, though she'll never admit it, that she was full of sh*t. What makes me laugh even more is that the NBA subsidizes the WNBA and that there would be no WNBA otherwise. The WNBA also plays less than half of an NBA season. I watched a WNBA game once to impress a female and even she stopped watching during the first quarter because it's boring. The next time a woman complains about unequal sports pay remind her that the top female model makes millions more than the top male model and all either do is walk around with clothing on (the average female model makes 148% more than her male counterpart). Does it get any more equal than walking and turning?

The paid attendance was 2,326 for a W.N.B.A. preseason game hosted on May 8 by the Dallas Wings at College Park Center, which has a seating capacity of 7,000.

NBA vs WNBA Comparison Table

NBA WNBA
Revenue
$7.4 billion $60 million
Average Salaries
$6.4 million $71,635
Ticket Price
$89 USD $17.42 USD
Highest-Paid Player
Stephen Curry $40 million Brittney Griner $113,500

Average Viewership

2019 NBA Finals 15.14 million In 2018: 231,000 viewers
Average Attendance
18,000 6,768
Ratings
2019 NBA Finals had an 8.8 rating reaching 15.14 million

2019 WNBA season had a 0.6 rating, a 200% increase

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure that is true.  That doesn't make the sport more interesting to watch.

Acknowledging that it's not the most exciting product in the sports landscape is not sh*tting all over it.  

:dudebro spits serious dudebro hyperbole:

Other person: ”Hello here is another point of view from a positive standpoint that you may want to consider.” 

Dudebros:

image.jpeg.8f30eadaeb118f662dc2dc8c880b153e.jpeg

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It’s surreal in the “why even play?” way, but money is money. Incidentally, I watched ten minutes of WNBA basketball today and that is the worst thing I’ve ever watched. Had to be at least five missed layups in those ten minutes. I saw a breakaway off of a steal where the woman was a solid ten feet out in front of her defender, but she had to stop in the key and pull the ball back out because she couldn’t dribble and run at the same time. Really brutal. 

It must be financed by the NBA. Frankly no one cares about it. I believe the N.Y. team was relocated to Westchester from MSG because they didn’t draw enough fans to warrant opening the Garden.

13 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

:dudebro spits serious dudebro hyperbole:

Other person: ”Hello here is another point of view from a positive standpoint that you may want to consider.” 

Dudebros:

image.jpeg.8f30eadaeb118f662dc2dc8c880b153e.jpeg

Yeah.  Good talk.  You'd be the first and last person to identify me as a dude bro.  

I did consider your point. I even acknowledged that it's probably a very important thing for young girls to have female athletes to emulate and view as role models.  But yeah, dude bro.  

Aren't you doing the exact same thing you are accusing me of doing?  I don't 100% agree with your assessment so you resort to mockery? Are you a Joe Rogan fan? 

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

whoa cant believe no body ever thought to mention this before 

Sarcasm? I'm sure people have and I'm all for female sports leagues. If I ever have a daughter I'd prefer she has someone on TV to envy besides obnoxious housewives of whatever county. I just think people have to be realistic about expectations and not expect what others have just because. Maybe in a few more decades the product will get better and in turn revenue will increase and salaries will go up, but until then they should be happy to make a good living playing a kid's game that there clearly, based on actual data, isn't much of a market for.

11 minutes ago, joebracken33 said:

Kabaddi GIF by U Mumba

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

What is this?  I have no idea what I'm watching here. 

Kabaddi .... big in India and South East Asia

2 teams - 7 players. Guy score points for running in to the opponents side of the field and escaping without being touched.

Kinda like dodgeball without the balls 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

And that makes no sense.  The OPs opinion is no different than most people.  The lack of fans in the stands isnt that huge a deal.

Sports are a total money grab, why shouldn't it be?  I'd love to know how playing without money coming in the gate is more of a money grab than playing with money coming from TV and money from the gate.

I'll take being entertained watching NHL, NFL & even MLB without fans over shutting down and losing games that will never be replaced 

Sports executives - anywhere in the world - absolutely hate having to entertain fans. Think of the money that could be made by selling advertising space instead of tickets. You could replace all those fans with extra billboards.

Gate revenue, or ticketing, is probably the smallest of all the revenue streams. Unless you convince the public to pay more over time - which is very difficult and likely to kill the 'atmosphere' - its a wasted effort. 

More importantly, with a new generation of fans brought up on 'realistic' gaming (think FIFA and madden), the switch to a more 'gaming-like' broadcast is easier than maintaining the same old television spectacle that used to be the norm. Crowds are no longer important, and we'll have more close-ups and wacky camera angles. 

13 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I think football will be ok. When you watch an NFL game from home you rarely see the fans anyway. So the cameras just need to keep the focus on the game and the NFL has to pump in a decent amount of fake crowd noise and they should be ok

Seriously? Football resembles gladiators battling to the death in the Coliseum more so than any other sport the exists so how can you say it will be okay? A huge part of it's popularity besides the action on the field is due to the fans in the crowd and tailgating. No other sport in the world has crowds with nicknames like Ex-Oakland's black hole, Cleveland's dog pound, Washington's hogs, Green Bay's cheese heads, The Saints' "Who dat?", and so on. I believe this season is gonna suck in a major way without crowds. Piped in noise is sacrilege. 

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

Seriously? Football resembles gladiators battling to the death in the Coliseum more so than any other sport the exists so how can you say it will be okay? A huge part of it's popularity besides the action on the field is due to the fans in the crowd and tailgating. No other sport in the world has crowds with nicknames like Ex-Oakland's black hole, Cleveland's dog pound, Washington's hogs, Green Bay's cheese heads, The Saints' "Who dat?", and so on. I believe this season is gonna suck in a major way without crowds. Piped in noise is sacrilege. 

If crowds and crowd noise are so important, why are NFL franchises doing everything in their power to ruin the fan experience and raise ticket prices (thus ensuring that quiet, corporate fans are increasingly more common)?

1 hour ago, STLuLu said:

I was talking about the TV experience, so tailgating is pretty irrelevant to my experience watching the game on TV.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If crowds and crowd noise are so important, why are NFL franchises doing everything in their power to ruin the fan experience and raise ticket prices (thus ensuring that quiet, corporate fans are increasingly more common)?

You answered your own question 

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The WNBA had lower ratings than bowling just a couple years ago and many of the teams lose money every year. At some point these people (blind idealists) need to learn how to think and analyze as opposed to just whine like children. I had a female friend who also runs on blind idealism and refused to look at the ratings when I mentioned this fact to her because ignorance is bliss and she knew, though she'll never admit it, that she was full of sh*t. What makes me laugh even more is that with the NBA subsidizes the WNBA and that there would be no WNBA otherwise. The WNBA also plays less than half of an NBA season. I watched a WNBA game once to impress a female and even she stopped watching during the first quarter because it's boring. The next time a woman complains about unequal sports pay remind her that the top female model makes millions more than the top male model and all either do is walk around with clothing on (the average female model makes 148% more than her male counterpart). Does it get any more equal than walking and turning?

The paid attendance was 2,326 for a W.N.B.A. preseason game hosted on May 8 by the Dallas Wings at College Park Center, which has a seating capacity of 7,000.

NBA vs WNBA Comparison Table

NBA WNBA
Revenue
$7.4 billion $60 million
Average Salaries
$6.4 million $71,635
Ticket Price
$89 USD $17.42 USD
Highest-Paid Player
Stephen Curry $40 million Brittney Griner $113,500

Average Viewership

2019 NBA Finals 15.14 million In 2018: 231,000 viewers
Average Attendance
18,000 6,768
Ratings
2019 NBA Finals had an 8.8 rating reaching 15.14 million

2019 WNBA season had a 0.6 rating, a 200% increase

“These are some hardcore hoes.”

-Don Imus 2006

D2EA510C-599D-470F-8324-E99CDCAB175F.jpeg

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Thats 10 minutes more Than I’ll ever watch.    

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You talking about something totally different. You talking about greed. Same reason why corporations crap on employees who build and run their companies. 

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I was talking about the TV experience, so tailgating is pretty irrelevant to my experience watching the game on TV.

I was too. But if it doesn't bother you then in wish I could be like you. That way my football season wouldn't ruined.