Jump to content
JetNation

Flacco & Williamson to PUP; Other Moves

Recommended Posts

Ryan Griffin

The New York Jets announced several roster moves on Thursday.

The Jets have moved four veterans to active injury lists and have released an undrafted free agent rookie as their training camp gets under way.

Three players — QB Joe Flacco, TE Ryan Griffin and LB Avery Williamson — have been placed on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list. A fourth, TE Dan Brown, has been placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list.

DL Domenique Davis, signed by the Jets out of Division II UNC Pembroke, has been waived.

The #Jets have placed TE Dan Brown on Active/NFI and QB Joe Flacco, TE Ryan Griffin and LB Avery Williamson on Active/PUP.

The team has released DL Domenique Davis.

— NYJ Communications (@NYJetsPR) July 30, 2020

Jets TE Ryan Griffin (rehabbing from ankle surgery) and ILB Avery Williamson (ACL rehab) were officially placed on the PUP list today.

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) July 30, 2020

Jets backup QB Joe Flacco officially placed on PUP list today.

Flacco is still rehabbing from offseason neck surgery. Expectation when he was signed was that he would not be ready for contact until sometime in September (hopefully).

David Fales is No. 2 QB behind Darnold now

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) July 30, 2020

 

The post Flacco & Williamson to PUP; Other Moves appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
HhqLBzQinXY

Click here to read the full story...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Flacco has a net worth of $75 million dollars, is 36 years old, has 5 kids including a 2 year old, and is coming off an injury.  Last year he made $18.5 million and we’re paying him $1.5. 

I’m frightened of the opt-out. 

SAR I

Maybe he will be the quarantined qb.  

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Flacco has a net worth of $75 million dollars, is 36 years old, has 5 kids including a 2 year old, and is coming off an injury.  Last year he made $18.5 million and we’re paying him $1.5. 

I’m frightened of the opt-out. 

SAR I

The Jets were discussing keeping a quarantined QB for the whole season.

If they choose Flacco, this would mean he gets to attend team meetings by Zoom and only has to play if Darnold can’t.  Backup QBs are kinda like overpaid opt outs by default. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Joe Flacco has a net worth of $75 million dollars, is 36 years old, has 5 kids including a 2 year old, and is coming off an injury.  Last year he made $18.5 million and we’re paying him $1.5. 

I’m frightened of the opt-out. 

SAR I

He likely will wind up for at least the start of the year and the QQB we'll call it i.e Quarantined QB since he likely will not be PHY ready to play for much of Sept. and can attend the QB meeting room in a virtual fashion. Once we get past those few games probably Flacco can shift to be the backup QB and one of the other QBs would then become the QQB even if it were Fales or Morgan since if we lost Darnold and Flacco then we likely mostly lose after that like last year when we had an XFL QB in Falk playing for 3 games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griffin and Williamson are big bummers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darnold - Starter

Morgan - Backup

Flacco - Quarantine

Fales - Released

Done.  Easy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure making Flacco the quarantined QB makes sense. The purpose of that would be if your starting QB (Sam) tests positive during the week and can't play, your QQB can be brought in to play having not been exposed to the starting QB. Since it doesn't sound like Flacco will be ready to play early in the season, I doubt it would be him.

Williamson is concerning. Hoping it's just a roster manipulation move and not for a health reason (knee related). He is about 11 months post op from his ACL surgery and should have been good to go 2-3 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of Flacco being the quarantine QB, but with Darnold’s injury history we need somebody to be able to come in and win on the spot. Fales and Morgan are likely not those guys

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did we sign Flacco if he was still hurt?  Bad move.

Some of us have been saying our TE situation was not as rosy as indicted.  Griffins injury was a really bad one, herndon has not shown he is reliable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

The Jets were discussing keeping a quarantined QB for the whole season.

If they choose Flacco, this would mean he gets to attend team meetings by Zoom and only has to play if Darnold can’t.  Backup QBs are kinda like overpaid opt outs by default. 

The problem there is that losing Darnold for a stretch during the season is an unfortunate probability and so having a rusty backup who isn't even practicing with the team try to step in and save our season is worse than having a bunch of Luke Falk's.  Flacco was supposed to be our dependable backup, able to win a few games when he's necessary.

SAR I

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I love the idea of Flacco being the quarantine QB, but with Darnold’s injury history we need somebody to be able to come in and win on the spot. Fales and Morgan are likely not those guys

No, we really don't.  2020 is not a Jets title year, so winning if our #1 goes down isn't the top priority.

Experience for our long-term backup (Morgan) > winning a meaningless game en route to a lost-QB-losing season.

JMO.  If we were a projected 13-3 team, I'd feel differently.  We're projected to be dead last, and even I think at best we're a 8-9 win edge-of-wildcard team if things go perfectly.

It's simple:  Darnold misses time for a third year in a row, and we're done, post-season-competitively.  Flacco, Morgan or Fales, doesn't really matter.  It's not like Flacco went 6-0 last year.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'm not sure making Flacco the quarantined QB makes sense. The purpose of that would be if your starting QB (Sam) tests positive during the week and can't play, your QQB can be brought in to play having not been exposed to the starting QB. Since it doesn't sound like Flacco will be ready to play early in the season, I doubt it would be him.

Williamson is concerning. Hoping it's just a roster manipulation move and not for a health reason (knee related). He is about 11 months post op from his ACL surgery and should have been good to go 2-3 months ago.

Yes... Totally bummer about Williamson if this is something other than a roster stunt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why did we sign Flacco if he was still hurt?  Bad move.

Some of us have been saying our TE situation was not as rosy as indicted.  Griffins injury was a really bad one, herndon has not shown he is reliable.

I mean, its not like there was a dearth of quality backup QBs out there at the time.  I suppose we could have signed Matt Moore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A healthy Griffin has a shot to be the Jets’ top weapon. That’s a bummer. 

You think Griffin is a bigger weapon than Crowder or Bell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, its not like there was a dearth of quality backup QBs out there at the time.  I suppose we could have signed Matt Moore?

Yeah, but hes hurt and not ready to play, no point in signing a guy that can't play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JiF said:

Griffin and Williamson are big bummers.

Agreed.  Not sure what's up with Williamson unless they're protecting him for a potential trade. His injury was a year ago....I'm a little surprised that he's not back yet.

On the positive side - Guys like Mosley, Herndon, Cashman don't seem to be listed on any kind of injury report.  

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You think Griffin is a bigger weapon than Crowder or Bell?

Dunno. I think Griffin’s numbers last year were fantastic and trending upward before he got hurt, but that’s about it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Agreed.  Not sure what's up with Williamson unless they're protecting him for a potential trade. His injury was a year ago....I'm a little surprised that he's not back yet.

On the positive side - Guys like Mosley, Herndon, Cashman don't seem to be listed on any time of injury report.  

 

Good point...and it was preseason when he got injured...maybe just taking caution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, but hes hurt and not ready to play, no point in signing a guy that can't play.

Sure there is.  He was better than the other backups on the market.  If Darnold can't play to start the season we have bigger problems anyways:  Our franchise QB just can't stay healthy, for one reason or another.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A healthy Griffin has a shot to be the Jets’ top weapon. That’s a bummer. 

A healthy Herndon has a shot to be the Jets top weapon. And he’s not on the PUP, so that’s good news. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There isn’t even any physical practices for another 2 weeks. Precautionary. If Avery isn’t ready by the start of the season he had the wrong surgeon or rehab schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah, but hes hurt and not ready to play, no point in signing a guy that can't play.

There are probably a dozen reasons that signing Flacco was a good move.  We are not signing a guy to start, we are signing one to come in if Darnold misses games.  If Darnold lasts 3 weeks the gamble paid off.  Flacco is not costing a real roster spot  because he is on the PUP.  With the pandemic, whoever they bring in is going to have a rough time learning the O and getting up to speed.  A smart vet is probably a good choice and he will be missing less than under normal circumstances.  He should be ready well before the trade deadline.  It is possible with injuries and the strange situation, they could move him if somebody gets hurt.  Think of the Bridgewater deal.  If he lasts the year and continues playing, he will likely get a fairly decent sized deal.  Most QBs do.  At that point he could figure into the comp pick calculations.  The deal was so late that it won't factor into comp picks for next year.  I could go on, but most important of all, he was dirt cheap.  For $1.5M he is a bargain even if they dump him right away. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

 

Williamson is concerning. Hoping it's just a roster manipulation move and not for a health reason (knee related). He is about 11 months post op from his ACL surgery and should have been good to go 2-3 months ago.

Not necessarily. Getting back to where he was before the injury would be uncommon at 6-7 months along. Could take 12 months or more, everybody is different. Plus there is the mental aspect of healing an injury like that too. It takes you out of life and leaves you pondering your future. I've been there.

 I'd be willing to bet he had a meniscus tear too by the way his knee flexed sideways when he was hit.

IMO 12 months is realistic. I think he would be on track to come back once the real games begin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the PUP Ramifications right now? This doesn’t mean that they have to sit out for the first six weeks does it? This means they can’t physically perform at this time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There are probably a dozen reasons that signing Flacco was a good move.  We are not signing a guy to start, we are signing one to come in if Darnold misses games.  If Darnold lasts 3 weeks the gamble paid off.  Flacco is not costing a real roster spot  because he is on the PUP.  With the pandemic, whoever they bring in is going to have a rough time learning the O and getting up to speed.  A smart vet is probably a good choice and he will be missing less than under normal circumstances.  He should be ready well before the trade deadline.  It is possible with injuries and the strange situation, they could move him if somebody gets hurt.  Think of the Bridgewater deal.  If he lasts the year and continues playing, he will likely get a fairly decent sized deal.  Most QBs do.  At that point he could figure into the comp pick calculations.  The deal was so late that it won't factor into comp picks for next year.  I could go on, but most important of all, he was dirt cheap.  For $1.5M he is a bargain even if they dump him right away. 

Why are you 'gambling' on the backup QB spot.  We gambled last year and it was a pure disaster.

If darnold last 3 weeks and if Flacco is actually ready and if Flacco can then step in after no prep time.

If he was heatlhy and ready to go and be the backup from day one fine, but he is not.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why are you 'gambling' on the backup QB spot.  We gambled last year and it was a pure disaster.

It was only a disaster primarily because Darnold went down with mono and then the backup QB, Trevor Siemian, went down almost immediately as well.  Not exactly a situation that is replicated often.  

It's not like this is a contender even with a healthy Darnold and backup QB.  So who cares, really?  The only teams that should really worry about their QB2 are Super Bowl contenders and teams who aren't sure about who their starter is going to be that particular season.  We're neither of those.

No one overrates the importance of the QB2 like Jets fans.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nico002 said:

“Darnolds injury history”

one ankle sprain?

mono

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Why are you 'gambling' on the backup QB spot.  We gambled last year and it was a pure disaster.

If darnold last 3 weeks and if Flacco is actually ready and if Flacco can then step in after no prep time.

If he was heatlhy and ready to go and be the backup from day one fine, but he is not.

Luke Falk was a disaster, so hard to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JiF said:

Good point...and it was preseason when he got injured...maybe just taking caution.

Yeah, my understanding is that recovery from ACL tears is typically about 10 months, maybe 12 months at the most, so we're right in that range.  I recall Carson Wentz tearing his ACL in December and starting again for the Eagles in late September the following season, so that's about 9 months.

https://973espn.com/explaining-the-carson-wentz-timeline/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...