|41T|New York Mets (MLB)|2.40
|44|Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)|2.33
|45|Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)|2.30
|46|New Orleans Saints (NFL)|2.28
|47|Arsenal (soccer)|2.27
|48|Arizona Cardinals (NFL)|2.25
|49T|St Louis Cardinals (MLB)|2.20
|49T|Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL)|2.20

Edit to add link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2020/07/31/the-worlds-most-valuable-sports-teams-2020/#325e6ba73c74

28 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I assume it factors in the stadium/arena so MSG factors into it (and maybe the network too)

Oh, I have no doubt the figure is accurate as far as value goes, it just proves that in some cases you do not have to be successful or try to be successful on the field or court or rink to have value.

• Upvote 3

Patriots will drop like a stone starting this year & plunge down the ranks when Belichick retires. 
New England fans are the worst. Just look at the Celtics when Bird retired. Place was quiet for years. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Patriots will drop like a stone starting this year & plunge down the ranks when Belichick retires. 
New England fans are the worst. Just look at the Celtics when Bird retired. Place was quiet for years. 

It will be interesting to see if the pats tank this year and don’t get Trevor Lawrence or a similar top QB draft prospect 

I could see Belchick running to the Giants and Joe Judge becoming his DC

Everyone in New England now screams about being a die hard patriots fans but those clowns didn’t care about the team until Parcells went there in the 90s

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Congratulations to Christopher Johnson and the entire Jets organization for turning us around so quickly.

SAR I

Id this was written fifteen years ago that would be exciting.

Instead, thanks woody for chasing belichick away and sucking.

Knicks suck and I know they're still worth FU money. Is this list including the arena/stadium or just the team?

Edit: The NY football teams are probably under valued on what they'd sell for, but there's no way were only worth 700 million less than the Giants. Pats never even had a fan before 2000 so I assume success counts

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It will be interesting to see if the pats tank this year and don’t get Trevor Lawrence or a similar top QB draft prospect 

I could see Belchick running to the Giants and Joe Judge becoming his DC

Everyone in New England now screams about being a die hard patriots fans but those clowns didn’t care about the team until Parcells went there in the 90s

Nope. I've said before, and I'll say it again. Prior to 2001, the Patriots "fan base" was a joke. Literally.  They used to joke about the total apathy towards the Patriots on WEEI (Sports Radio).

I know first-hand, I was not only a Jets fan living in South Boston (before it was "gentrified", and IRA graffiti was still a regular thing), I was a BARTENDER at several Boston Sports Bars (Allston Station   Champions @ Copley, The Grand Canal Pub) and the fan base was a joke. During the season, I wore a Jets jersey behind the bar and NOBODY gave me sh*t about it. It was pathetic, and that was after the Parcells/Martin deals. 

That bandwagon will be thoroughly abandoned within 4 years. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Id this was written fifteen years ago that would be exciting.

Instead, thanks woody for chasing belichick away and sucking.

Woody split, dumped the mess into Christopher's lap, announced a lengthy rebuild in 2017 and here we are on the cusp of winning the AFC East less than 3 years later.  The Bills and Dolphins have been rebuilding since 1995.  We've cleaned house, cleaned the culture, brought in a terrific FO, found our franchise quarterback, and are an attractive destination for FA's.

The Forbes valuation surely takes this into account.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Woody split, dumped the mess into Christopher's lap, announced a lengthy rebuild in 2017 and here we are on the cusp of winning the AFC East less than 3 years later.  The Bills and Dolphins have been rebuilding since 1995.  We've cleaned house, cleaned the culture, brought in a terrific FO, found our franchise quarterback, and are an attractive destination for FA's.

The Forbes valuation surely takes this into account.

SAR I

That is laughable, you know that isn't how this works. The Knicks are high on this list.

And if Christopher Johnson wants praise for doing things quick he should have not wasted a full year by keeping Macc and making him a lame duck only to fire him after the draft.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, freestater said:

Honestly, its these kind of bullsh*t evaluations that keep guys like Niel Glatt employed for a decade too long. 

LOL, I will play. What does Neil Glat being employed by the Jets have to do with them not winning the Super Bowl? The team president for the Jets doesn't make football decisions. 

You can make the case that is wrong, but that isn't on the President. That is on the owner.

19 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I assume it factors in the stadium/arena so MSG factors into it (and maybe the network too)

TV broadcasting is the main revenue stream, that's the baseline. Anything extra comes from merchandising, ticketing, hospitality services, luxury suites, and whatever else. Some franchises are better able to negotiate their own brand deals (thanks to jerry jones). 

NFL has the biggest tv broadcasting deal, around $7.5 billion annually from the usual suspects - Fox, viacom, disney, comcast. That's why you see so many NFL franchises in this list. They pay more for football than any broadcaster anywhere else in the world would pay for any other sport. And the value of any future deal will probably double because of competition arriving in the form of Amazon, netflix, others: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/22/nfl-tv-rights-up-for-renewal-in-2022-and-big-media-will-pay-more.html

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

No, they won't. Kraft is a good businessman.

Gillette stadium is all theirs, they have very little debt and extremely good brand value built on the back of two successful decades. They won't struggle to negotiate any sponsorship deals, and only a handful of franchises make more revenue per fan.

Most NFL franchises find it hard to increase their secondary revenue streams. The Jets, for example, make 62.2% of their revenue from TV money: https://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-jets/#ee827d857126

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Nope. I've said before, and I'll say it again. Prior to 2001, the Patriots "fan base" was a joke. Literally.  They used to joke about the total apathy towards the Patriots on WEEI (Sports Radio).

I know first-hand, I was not only a Jets fan living in South Boston (before it was "gentrified", and IRA graffiti was still a regular thing), I was a BARTENDER at several Boston Sports Bars (Allston Station   Champions @ Copley, The Grand Canal Pub) and the fan base was a joke. During the season, I wore a Jets jersey behind the bar and NOBODY gave me sh*t about it. It was pathetic, and that was after the Parcells/Martin deals. 

That bandwagon will be thoroughly abandoned within 4 years. 

Allston Station? Was that the place at the end of Harvard Ave & the Train went right behind it? When I lived in Newton I use to watch football there. I think it's a Regina Pizzeria now. 

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

LOL, I will play. What does Neil Glat being employed by the Jets have to do with them not winning the Super Bowl? The team president for the Jets doesn't make football decisions. 

You can make the case that is wrong, but that isn't on the President. That is on the owner.

Keep them from winning the SB? Maybe not. But definitely indicative of senior management more concerned with squeezing each last penny out of the franchise rather than concerned with putting a quality product on the field. PSLs and star wars bobbleheads garner more thought than the next rookie HC they can bring in on the cheap. Or the next Idzik. Or Maccagnan. 

3 hours ago, freestater said:

Keep them from winning the SB? Maybe not. But definitely indicative of senior management more concerned with squeezing each last penny out of the franchise rather than concerned with putting a quality product on the field. PSLs and star wars bobbleheads garner more thought than the next rookie HC they can bring in on the cheap. Or the next Idzik. Or Maccagnan. 

Literally the job he was hired and told to do though. So you can say he was here too long. But my point is that is on ownership. If an employee does what they are told to do and the plan doesn't work, that is on the boss.

On 7/31/2020 at 10:54 PM, Aaron Hernandez said:

Knicks suck and I know they're still worth FU money. Is this list including the arena/stadium or just the team?

Edit: The NY football teams are probably under valued on what they'd sell for, but there's no way were only worth 700 million less than the Giants. Pats never even had a fan before 2000 so I assume success counts

A lot of franchises in all 4 sports plus European soccer own their own stadiums and have their own channels.  I was in Spain last year both Barcelona and Real Madrid have their own broadcast tv stations and venues and the people in those cities literally don’t follow anything but those soccer teams which operate with the Euro which is worth more than USD. The Knicks ownership has sucked but their fan support has continued to be off the charts