Why did Todd Bowles fail?

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That's probably the one thing that Gase has immediately done well.  Gase was hired, he got here and after just a couple months with Maccagnan he had to think to himself, "I'm not going to sit here and let this guy do to me what he did to Bowles."

100%, you cited that some coaches are suited to be just coordinators. I will never forget the Bruce Coslet hire, a hot offensive coordinator who once he was a head coach turned into a complete opposite, every 3rd and long he'd call a draw play. A total failure. What I don't understand is how these coaches get through the interview process and still get hired.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Great resume as an assistant, former player, former team captain. 

I think he gets another shot next year, but what mistakes did he make with the Jets that he needs to correct in his next opportunity?

Was it all lack of talent?

Yes I agree, it was a lack of talent, Todd Bowles is not a talented person.

19 minutes ago, GaryM said:

100%, you cited that some coaches are suited to be just coordinators. I will never forget the Bruce Coslet hire, a hot offensive coordinator who once he was a head coach turned into a complete opposite, every 3rd and long he'd call a draw play. A total failure. What I don't understand is how these coaches get through the interview process and still get hired.

Yup, some coaches simply think they're smarter than everyone else.  They get into the ole "The opponent thinks I'm going to run so I will pass....but he probably knows I think that....so I'll run," mentality.  Like you said, 3rd and long and running draws because the HC thinks he can catch the defense off guard.

I remember Mike Martz being so married to his system that he lost the Super Bowl to the Patriots in 2001.  Close game, but the Patriots were 100% about stopping the pass.  They sold out to stop the Greatest Show on Turf and take away Tory Holt and Isaac Bruce.  Martz kept trying to pass.  Had they mixed it up just a little and audibled to some runs with Marshall Faulk then they would have gashed that Patriots nickel defense for 7 yards a rush.

One of the things I love watching most in football is when a team has built a great capability (ex. a rushing attack) and everyone knows they have it, yet they can still execute it anyway.  There's something to be said for lining up on 3rd and 2 and rushing it for a 1st down every time.  Being able to run the football when the other loads the box and knows you're going to run is a powerful capability, it demoralizes the other team.  "We're going to run it and you can't do anything about it."  It felt that way with both the 49ers and the Ravens a bit last year.  When you have that then coaches tend not to outsmart themselves.  They're not passing from the 1 yard line with Marshawn Lynch in the backfield, they're not staying married to the passing game and gassing their defense like Atlanta did vs. the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

And, having that one dominant capability IMO is more the job of the GM, than anyone else.  When he puts together all the components the right way (see the Dallas OLine coupled with Zeke Elliott) it takes away any excuse that the HC might have.  When the Jets were stopping Dallas last year, tackling Elliott behind the LOS, Jamal busting open a seam to Dak Prescott, etc. it told me right there that Jason Garrett was a goner.  Let's hope Joe Douglas puts enough in the hands of Adam Gase that, at a minimum, we can evaluate whether Gase is the right guy and not have any more excuses.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

With a veteran team in 2015, he was okay.  For 15 weeks. 

But is there one young player, on either side of the ball, that developed signfiicantly under Coach Bowles.  Guys who came in as competent players in '15 & '16 were still the same competent players in 2018, but they never improved signficantly.  Jordan Jenkins, Leonard Williams, Robby Anderson, Brandon Shell, Darron Lee (ok using the word competent very loosely to include Lee).  All the same player in year 3 or 4 with Bowles as they were in year 1.  He did not have much to work with thanks to Macc, but its not like he had much success developing some of the competent players that Macc did stumble across.

Ahhhh, I remember the homers who loved Darron Lee.  Then they moved on to next bust.

Same reasons why most QB's with great abilities in every category fail as well. Split second decisions are not easy to process for most QB's probably 90% of them...... when it comes to coaches they may not have as many split second decisions but they do have to game plan and get the players to believe in their system. Todd Bowles is not a stupid guy, hes actually pretty smart, but when it comes to game planning and getting a feel for the game and making half time adjustments he was simply not cut out for that and his game management skills were horrific as well. Add that with his total lack of emotion his team took on that personality just Like Pete Carrolls team takes on his Intensity and energy on the sidelines. Theres so many ways why a coach fails and its not about knowledge of the game its about processing it. Some just are not cut out for that.

3 hours ago, Bungaman said:

Lack of discipline. Players got away with a lot and did not suffer the consequences

This.

It took Christopher Johnson two years to get rid of the weed culture in the locker room, Gase was burdened with it as well.

SAR I

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

That's probably the one thing that Gase has immediately done well.  Gase was hired, he got here and after just a couple months with Maccagnan he had to think to himself, "I'm not going to sit here and let this guy do to me what he did to Bowles."

Bowles was happy to get his first HC gig.  He really needed a very strong GM to help him and he got a turd.  Gase had already gone through that once and he wasn't about to let a turd kill his career again without putting up a fight.  

Parcells was very lucky when he got the gig he had a strong GM and he already had Earhardt and Bellicheck on the staff along with Crennel.  

I think Gase made a decision that if he was going down it wasn't because of Mac.  The Jets were not set up for a rookie HC to do well.  I think having a 10 win season in year one was an illusion that really set the organization back.   

5 hours ago, GreekJet said:

I think he gets another shot next year, but what mistakes did he make with the Jets that he needs to correct in his next opportunity?

Robot Reaction GIF

48 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Todd Bowles failed here because:

1. The talent level was awful

2. Incompetent GM

3. See number 2 

4. Terrible Assistants except for ST

5. Stubborn to a fault....HE WOULDN'T FIRE his horrible DC!

6. Couldn’t make in game defensive adjustments to save his life

He was an ex player and knows players and I think had the team’s respect. He knows how football teams work and seemed like a quality person someone players could trust. To me the failures were on defense. Here was supposed to be a D expert and his players regularly blew assignments and lost games because of that. His schemes were not that good. He could end up being Arians successor in Tampa Bay if things go well there. 

He was a terrible coach  that is why and if you look at tampas defense last year he continued to be terrible.

He was a bad game day coach.

His worst sin though was he was a totally fake tough guy that talked a good game but there was never major consequences.

The huge difference between bowles and Gregg Williams was so apparent early last year when the best players played.  Dog players got benched other guys played.  There is a zero percent chance that a guy like Kyle phillips would have made the team let alone played a lot if bowles was still around.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GreekJet said:

boring press conferences. 

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He was a terrible coach that is why and if you look at tampas defense last year he continued to be terrible.

He was a bad game day coach.

His worst sin though was he was a totally fake tough guy that talked a good game but there was never major consequences.

The huge difference between bowles and Gregg Williams was so apparent early last year when the best players played.  Dog players got benched other guys played.  There is a zero percent chance that a guy like Kyle phillips would have made the team let alone played a lot if bowles was still around.

Exactly. 

Tampa had the 29th ranked D in 2019. That after Arians gave him a 1st rd gift in LB Devin White. The first pick of the Arians era was gift wrapped for Toddy boy. 

Bowles is a fraud imo. I don't think he is completely devoid of talent, but he should have been let go the Moment he thought hiring his second OC out of retirement in 4 years was the way to go.  His 3rd OC in that time. All while his buddy Kacey Rodgers remained unchallenged as a third rate DC who was out of his league the whole time. 

I can't believe we blew the Matt Rhule or McCarthy opportunities by the way lol 

• Upvote 1