Kittle, 49ers have significant disconnect in contract talks

Comes with the territory when you're a TE, unfortunately.  The league has colluded to keep that position cheap for years.

Hey, John Lynch, we've got picks for days.  Just saying....

https://www.nfl.com/news/george-kittle-49ers-significant-disconnect-in-contract-talks

Kittle, 49ers have significant disconnect in contract talks

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Perhaps John Lynch's optimism about getting George Kittle's deal done wasn't so rosy after all.

NFL Network's Mike Silver reported Friday on Inside Training Camp Live that a gap remains between the All-Pro tight end and the 49ers, noting that Kittle doesn't want to be considered a TE in terms of his contract.

"There remains a pretty significant disconnect philosophically between the 49ers and George Kittle's camp," Silver said. "The 49ers believe they want to reset the tight end market and give him a great tight end deal, and Kittle is kind of saying, 'I think I'm more than just a tight end.' It's been a really flat market at that position. Jimmy Graham was kind of the standard off his 2014 deal. Austin Hooper eclipsed that by a little bit this past March in free agency, but if you look at him as a tight end, yeah, George Kittle can reset the market, but George Kittle, who was just voted the seventh-best player in the league by his peers, and in my opinion has earned that distinction, is thinking, 'I don't want to be called a tight end for the purposes of these negotiations."

The divide between the sides is understandable.

The tight end market has been stagnant for years. Austin Hooper signed the largest long-term deal for a tight end this offseason, earning $10.5 million per year over the four-year pact. That franchise-tagged Hunter Henry, slated to make $10.67 million, sits atop the TEs market is telling. Thanks in part to Rob Gronkowski taking team-friendly deals in New England in previous years, the top of the tight ends market hasn't progressed as the salary cap has increased.

NFL teams abhor resetting position markets. But they especially loathe blowing them up.

From Kittle's perspective, you could see why he and his camp think basing his contract off the TE market is preposterous. The No. 7 player on the NFL's "Top 100 Players of 2020" list is far more than a TE. He's the 49ers' top target, a YAC machine, a bulldozing blocker and a team leader, and he generates 1.21 gigawatts of energy for San Francisco.

Lynch mentioned earlier this week that, now that the economic proposal between the NFL and NFLPA on how to handle the COVID-19 pandemic has mostly been finalized, he was more hopeful sides could work out a deal. Lynch noted it was a "tricky" contract.

That trickiness is in how each side views the market.

If the top TE would sit in the 20s of the WR market, it's understandable why Kittle would want to be viewed more in line with the multifaceted player he is than pigeonholed by position.

Kittle is set to earn $2.13 million in 2020 if sides can't bridge the gap on a new deal. It's a piddling number compared to his worth.

Lynch suggested that even without a new deal, Kittle would show up and continue to be a great teammate.

Silver, however, suggested another strategy is in play, one that could involve threatening to use the opt-out option if a deal doesn't come soon.

I think the other part of it is that, at any given time, TE is one position there never really seems to be a lot of "top" guys.  Arguably the greatest disparity of any position, including QB.

That's probably because, regardless of your size or blocking ability, if you're fast enough and have the receiving skills, then you're likely going to have been put at WR anyway.  Teams are generally happy with solid all-around types at the position, and they simply don't carry a big price tag with them.  It's those small handful of top guys who then get dragged down by association.

Of course, if that's how the whole league is handling it, you're not going to see any one team in a major rush to break the trend.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think the other part of it is that, at any given time, TE is one position there never really seems to be a lot of "top" guys.  Arguably the greatest disparity of any position, including QB.

That's probably because, regardless of your size or blocking ability, if you're fast enough and have the receiving skills, then you're likely going to have been put at WR anyway.  Teams are generally happy with solid all-around types at the position, and they simply don't carry a big price tag with them.  It's those small handful of top guys who then get dragged down by association.

Of course, if that's how the whole league is handling it, you're not going to see any one team in a major rush to break the trend.

Yep.  I'm sure the 49ers would like to have Kittle be reasonably happy with his deal.  But he can't hold out.  And if need be, the 49ers can tag him, twice, at a cheap rate ($10.6M).

So ultimately they are only going to be willing to give him a little more than Austin Hooper got from Cleveland.  Maybe a couple million more year than he got.  And Kittle will have to take it or leave it.  They're not going to be willing to go so high that he's getting top 10 WR money.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He’s an impact player, and best Tight End in the league. Panthers are paying Robby Anderson 11 mill per. Jamal Adams wants $20mill per. Throw them the Seahawks 1st in 2021 and pay the man.

I’d love Kittle on the jets but no way the 49ers are dumb enough not to keep him

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think TE is the one position that is really, unfairly considered a low-value position. These are big, versatile dudes expected to be an extra lineman on one down and a receiver on the next. That should cost a lot more than it currently does, and Kittle is the type of player who could potentially reset the market. If the 49ers balk, someone else will step up and pay him on the open market. Once upon a time, OL were paid pennies compared to RBs. The TE market can be reset, too. 

• Upvote 4

He's just a TE. 

Plays a low impact position.

No impact on W/L record. 

The 49ers should just tag him for 2 years and let him rot on the bench if he wants more than 10 million per.

No team would give up more than a 1st and maybe a future 3rd for his a** anyway.

How am I doing @Jetsfan80????

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

This ain’t the 80’s.  The elite TEs have been just as important as elite WRs past 25 years

This is what I think, too. The position is unfairly underpaid, unlike safety, lol. The big difference between the two positions is size. Most of the elite athletes the size of a TE either play Edge or Power Forward. But you get an athlete like that at TE, that’s a premium player. The elite athletes the size of an NFL Safety play CB or WR, or maybe learn to hit. The lesser athletes become Safeties and sometimes RBs. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

TE, especially one like Kittle, is not a low-impact position anymore.  That changed with guys like Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Aaron Hernandez, Ertz, Kelce, etc.

I'm sure there's some sarcasm in here because no one can honestly believe that 80+ catches, 1000+ yards and 5 TDs don't impact the W/L column.

He's trying to use the "Jamal Adams doesn't make an impact" argument to suggest people are wrong about both Kittle and Adams, and should equate the two.

Problem is, SS is the least valuable position on the defense.  The dropoff from an elite SS to a middle of the pack SS is not tremendous, because SS's just don't do the things that matter much in the NFL in 2020.

The dropoff from a top-end TE to a middle-of-the-pack one, meanwhile, is tremendous.  Rob Gronkowski was arguably the game's most important offensive weapon in his prime.  Kittle and Kelce the top 2 TEs in the game, just faced off in the most recent Super Bowl.  

As the game evolves, TEs are meaning more and more to teams, while SS's are meaning less and less.  And sure, some might respond to that by saying "Well, don't SS's cover TE's?"  Not always.  FS's and even CB2s are tasked with trying to cover elite TEs these days.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, slats said:

This is what I think, too. The position is unfairly underpaid, unlike safety, lol. The big difference between the two positions is size. Most of the elite athletes the size of a TE either play Edge or Power Forward. But you get an athlete like that at TE, that’s a premium player. The elite athletes the size of an NFL Safety play CB or WR, or maybe learn to hit. The lesser athletes become Safeties and sometimes RBs. 

The middle of the pack TEs might not be underpaid.  But the top-end TEs absolutely are. 

The distance between the elite TEs and middle of the pack ones is vast in terms of impact. 

TE should reflect the RB position a bit.  The top 5 RBs are paid a ton, and then it drops off like a cliff.  The top paid RB (McCaffrey) is paid double what the # 7 RB (Melvin Gordon) makes.  The middle of the pack starting RB pay (about $4-4.5M) is peanuts compared to the top 5 guys.

TE should be like that too.

Player Team Age Total
Value
Avg./Year Total
Guaranteed
Fully
Guaranteed
Free
Agency
Christian McCaffrey Panthers 24 $64,063,412 $16,015,853 $36,346,412 $30,062,500 2026 UFA
Ezekiel Elliott Cowboys 25 $90,000,000 $15,000,000 $50,052,137 $28,052,137 2027 UFA
Le'Veon Bell Jets 28 $52,500,000 $13,125,000 $35,000,000 $27,000,000 2023 UFA
David Johnson Texans 29 $39,000,000 $13,000,000 $31,882,500 $24,682,500 2022 UFA
Derrick Henry Titans 26 $50,000,000 $12,500,000 $25,500,000 $25,500,000 2024 UFA
Kenyan Drake Cardinals 26 $8,483,000 $8,483,000 $8,483,000 $8,483,000 2021 UFA
Melvin Gordon Broncos 27 $16,000,000 $8,000,000 $13,500,000 $13,500,000 2022 UFA
Saquon Barkley Giants 23 $31,194,750 $7,798,688 $31,194,750 $31,194,750 2022 UFA
Leonard Fournette Jaguars 25 $27,150,882 $6,786,894 $27,150,882 $27,150,882 2021 UFA
Austin Ekeler Chargers 25 $24,500,000 $6,125,000 $15,000,000 $13,750,000 2024 UFA
Todd Gurley Falcons 26 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 $5,500,000 2021 UFA
Duke Johnson Texans 27 $15,610,000 $5,203,333 $7,757,000 $5,957,000 2022 UFA
Giovani Bernard Bengals 29 $10,300,000 $5,150,000 $2,000,000 $2,000,000 2022 UFA
Mark Ingram Ravens 31 $15,000,000 $5,000,000 $6,500,000 $6,500,000 2022 UFA
Jordan Howard Dolphins 26 $9,750,000 $4,875,000 $4,750,000 $4,750,000 2022 UFA
Tevin Coleman 49ers 27 $8,500,000 $4,250,000 $5,250,000 $3,250,000 2021 UFA
James White Patriots 28 $12,000,000 $4,000,000 $4,690,000 $4,690,000 2021 UFA
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

I think, too, TEs take so much more abuse than a WR that it’s terrifying to pay them long term. 

• Upvote 2

Here is the thing. George Kittle will be 27 early this season. Do you really want to commit to a TE that plays so physically for 4+ years for huge money? I would be scared sh*tless at the back end of that contract. If kittle was 24 it would be a no brainer. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's trying to use the "Jamal Adams doesn't make an impact" argument to suggest people are wrong about both Kittle and Adams, and should equate the two.

Problem is, SS is the least valuable position on the defense.  The dropoff from an elite SS to a middle of the pack SS is not tremendous, because SS's just don't do the things that matter much in the NFL in 2020.

The dropoff from a top-end TE to a middle-of-the-pack one, meanwhile, is tremendous.  Rob Gronkowski was arguably the game's most important offensive weapon in his prime.  Kittle and Kelce the top 2 TEs in the game, just faced off in the most recent Super Bowl.  

As the game evolves, TEs are meaning more and more to teams, while SS's are meaning less and less.  And sure, some might respond to that by saying "Well, don't SS's cover TE's?"  Not always.  FS's and even CB2s are tasked with trying to cover elite TEs these days.  

I mean if the argument were that the big payday is owed to the league's top blocking TE who has a handful of checkdown receptions per season, then we'd have a comparison to make.  The Anthony Becht of safeties!

• Sympathy 1

This guy is special. Great route runner, great blocker, enough speed to get up the seam. He is what you draw uo thinking of a prototype tight end, and great hands and a beast to get on the ground. Think he is the best by far and his salary should reflect that.

9 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

So fans that hated Adams and wanted him to be paid peanuts want to sign Kittle a kings ransom. Basically both a support position. Racists 

Maybe Twittists?

I haven’t seen Kittle come out and bash his organization, tell some kid in a parking lot that he wants to be traded to the Cowboys, and then sit down with a reporter to say his coach is a bad leader.

But yeah, it’s the color of his skin.

Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

If I'm Kittle I play out my contract (only four years as he wasn't a first rounder) let them tag me twice and hit the open market as an UFA. That's the only way he'll ever get close to his market value, and for a guy like him (who's an elite level player hampered by a weak market for the position) it's worth the injury risk.