At what point do you sign Clowney and Ryan

Maxman

13 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I don't know how you don't sign Clowney. You have the need and a now the available cap room.

He's 27 and a physical freak.

Please J.D.

Clowney's a bigger name than he is a talent. 

With $28m+ in cap, no roll over to next year, and the possibility of structuring the whole contract as guaranteed salary we should just go out and get Clowney. Even better, Mosley’s opt out freed up $10M in cap space for next year. You can probably sign Clowney and have 40% of his cap hit over 2 years covered by Mosley’s opt out. 

20 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

With $28m+ in cap, no roll over to next year, and the possibility of structuring the whole contract as guaranteed salary we should just go out and get Clowney. Even better, Mosley’s opt out freed up $10M in cap space for next year. You can probably sign Clowney and have 40% of his cap hit over 2 years covered by Mosley’s opt out. 

Salary cap space CAN be rolled over to next year

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

ANd you'll find some other dreamt up complaints?

I will if we continue to “rebuild” - at some point we have to try and compete. 

if we’re attempting to win I’ll be fully on board. For me I’m frustrated more about the effort than I am the talent.  

We’ve now been rebuilding for a decade.  Aren’t you guys tired of it? 

We gave our QB, let’s try and win.  

it’s like battered women syndrome around here.  We’ve been beaten up so much that we’re happy to simply be excited about two years down the road. 

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I will if we continue to “rebuild” - at some point we have to try and compete. 

if we’re attempting to win I’ll be fully on board. For me I’m frustrated more about the effort than I am the talent.  

We’ve now been rebuilding for a decade.  Aren’t you guys tired of it? 

We gave our QB, let’s try and win.  

it’s like battered women syndrome around here.  We’ve been beaten up so much that we’re happy to simply be excited about two years down the road. 

You just dont understand the NFL and think every signing or draft pick means rebuild.  

Football teams fortunes can change quickly.  Stop whining already as if this hasn't been proven before

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You just dont understand the NFL and think every signing or draft pick means rebuild.  

Football teams fortunes can change quickly.  Stop whining already as if this hasn't been proven before

So you think letting your only good players go is how the NFL works?

or do you think you need talent to win.  I think that’s where you and I differ. You’re okay with a team of JAGs. I want to see talented players.  

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

or do you think you need talent to win.  I think that’s where you and I differ. You’re okay with a team of JAGs. I want to see talented players.  

but not Clowney - who has a very high win percentage despite double and tripe teams and can dominate a game and help Quinnen immensely just by being on the field? It's simply not true that this guy doesn't have a major impact on a game just because his sack numbers are low. He requires so much attention and that frees up other players to make plays. I would argue Q and Clowney would have the talent to make this a great D.

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Salary cap space CAN be rolled over to next year

You’re right I just checked. I couldn’t find a straight answer but there wasn’t affirmation of my claim. Either way without our roll over we have over $30m next year we which is 7th in the league if the cap is worst case scenario and that’s before cutting enunwa and Henry Anderson 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

but not Clowney - who has a very high win percentage despite double and tripe teams and can dominate a game and help Quinnen immensely just by being on the field? It's simply not true that this guy doesn't have a major impact on a game just because his sack numbers are low. He requires so much attention and that frees up other players to make plays. I would argue Q and Clowney would have the talent to make this a great D.

I would love a Clowney signing.  Just not going to happen. 

Would like to have seen Clowney, with Adam and Mosley...but

We trade Adams, which turned off Mosley and there is zero intention of signing Clowney.

Clowney is out looking for his next payday!!!! If he did care, he would of taken the money from Houston or Seattle and stayed there with those teams. He wants to go to a playoff bound team and win a Super Bowl but that is why he didn't take Clevelands offer. Now that every team has signed all their players Clowney is looking for a team to pay him $15-17 million for one year and its back again for his search for a huge contract. Remember he lowered his contract demand once and he has no intentions of lowering it again!!!

Th Jets don't need him at all!!!! Signing Clowney will go against the Jets, that $15 or $17 million will be a waste. Its not a guarantee that he will stay with the Jets. He won't lower his demands then, what will make you think he will now??? Clowney is not worth signing!!! 

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

This strategy always a huge winner for the jets

In a world where many high priced vets will be cut or not be able to be re-signed bc of the reduction in cap space having as much money as possible will be vital.  Just think about all of those WR's set to be FA's next offseason.  A couple will shake free bc of the cap.  Having an extra $28.5 million will come in handy. 

49 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

You’re right I just checked. I couldn’t find a straight answer but there wasn’t affirmation of my claim. Either way without our roll over we have over $30m next year we which is 7th in the league if the cap is worst case scenario and that’s before cutting enunwa and Henry Anderson 

Next year is going to be crazy.  I have a feeling a bunch of high priced veterans that can help this team will be cut by others.  Also the FA WR class next year is crazy good:

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Keenan Allen

The Jets need to be in position to pounce on 1 of these guys. 

They can carry over an additional $28 million over.  They will be in the driver's seat for FA

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Who were those good players we let go?
Do you consider a trade, for two 1s, a 3 and a player "letting only your good players go"?   Because other than the trade of Adams who were these good players that led us to 7 wins?

We dont differ on wanting talent.  We differ in you whine that all those who left, like with all teams, were good players and all the players we brought in were downgrades.

There is your difference

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We trade Adams, which turned off Mosley and there is zero intention of signing Clowney.

c'mon dude ... i'm sure you're just joking around ... but obviously Adams had no impact on Mosley

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Next year is going to be crazy.  I have a feeling a bunch of high priced veterans that can help this team will be cut by others.  Also the FA WR class next year is crazy good:

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Keenan Allen

They can carry over an additional $28 million over.  They will be in the driver's seat for FA

Allen won’t hit FA. The other 2 are approaching the end of their careers

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Allen Robinson

TY Hilton

Keenan Allen

We’ll have $30m even if the cap drops to $174m. Cutting Enunwa and Henry Anderson is an extra $14M. Cutting Crowder is $10M, cutting Bell is $9M. Cap space isn’t an issue for this team. 

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

We’ll have $30m even if the cap drops to $174m. Cutting Enunwa and Henry Anderson is an extra $14M. Cutting Crowder is $10M, cutting Bell is $9M. Cap space isn’t an issue for this team. 

You du realize you have to replace the players you cut right?

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

You du realize you have to replace the players you cut right?

I was just stating the amount of cap space that could be made. Cutting Enunwa and Anderson are no brainers. Crowder is a good candidate for an extension and a lower the cap hit. Bell is a wild card. If he has a good year just keep him and if he’s bad he can be cut. I could also include George Fant as a savings of $7m if he’s cut. 

My point is just that the cap and cap rollover is so unimportant given how few players we need to re-sign.

34 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I was just stating the amount of cap space that could be made. Cutting Enunwa and Anderson are no brainers. Crowder is a good candidate for an extension and a lower the cap hit. Bell is a wild card. If he has a good year just keep him and if he’s bad he can be cut. I could also include George Fant as a savings of $7m if he’s cut. 

My point is just that the cap and cap rollover is so unimportant given how few players we need to re-sign.

As of right now 16 teams are scheduled to be over the cap if it is set at $175 million. A lot of good players are going to be cut.  The more cap room the better

5 hours ago, slats said:

Clowney's a bigger name than he is a talent. 

Isn't that kind of the point though? Good player with elite pedigree that isn't getting any worse, yet actually still has a way higher ceiling to hit; and because of all this you get him for below what other guys at the position cost because of all that. Almost zero risk for the Jets considering he's not a bust, they lack at the position he plays, they have nobody else to pay for the foreseeable future, and he's still quite a good player.