Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Ryan Fitzpatrick sees players gravitating to Tua Tagovailoa

Recommended Posts

https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-sees-players-gravitating-to-tua-tagovailoa

Saturday, Aug 01, 2020 01:16 PM

Ryan Fitzpatrick sees players gravitating to Tua Tagovailoa

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

 

Still boasting bearded brilliance, Ryan Fitzpatrick is no stranger to being a captivating and charismatic figure.

He anticipates a similar magnetism for first-round draft pick and Miami Dolphins hopeful future franchise quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.

"He's a really interesting guy. He's got a lot of energy to him. You can tell guys are going to gravitate to him," Fitzpatrick told reporters Saturday, via The Palm Beach Post's Hal Habib. "There's just something about him that's just very likable. I can already tell he's one of those guys who will get along with everybody."

Fitzpatrick provided highlights aplenty toward the end of the Dolphins' 2019 season, often times a one-man adventure doing whatever possible to will Miami to victories in a lost campaign. Though there's a good chance he'll be the starter at the upcoming season's onset, Fitzpatrick is well aware of the plan for the franchise and the No. 5 overall pick out of Alabama.

Fitzpatrick intends on holding down the spot under center and then doing his best to spur on Tagovailoa thereafter.

"I know I am the placeholder," Fitzpatrick said, via The Athletic's Josh Tolentino. "Whenever Tua gets his chance, I'm going to be his biggest cheerleader."

Despite being the competitor that he is, it's likely it'll be a bit easier for Fitzpatrick to cheer on his successor considering how affable Tagovailoa has shown himself to be. Perhaps there's a QB bromance ahead for the elder FitzMagic and the rookie Tua.

"I have a unique perspective just from the career that I've had," Fitzpatrick said, via the South Florida Sun Sentinel's Safid Deen. "I was excited they drafted him. Since meeting him in person the other day, I'm really excited. We've hit it off. I am an old geezer, but we've meshed personality-wise, and I'm excited to work with him."

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's always been smart about knowing what to say

he's still going to do everything he can to hold onto the top spot as long as he can ... i don't blame the guy for that

 

nothing to see here ... but i guess right now any football news is good news 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fitz curse might be worse than the madden box cover curse.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The average NFL player isn’t as dumb as MAC and Woody.   What franchise, trying to rebuild would play FITZ  and then McCown and not try to draft a real QB???  
 

These players no he is a NON playoff QB.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

That'll all change when Fitz sucks all of his youth and vitality out using an ancient voodoo spell to last another ten years in the league.

I fully believe he'll stick around way past 40 like Vinny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

still  has the best season for a Jet QB....      him and Vinny 98 until Sam smashes that ( please please please let it be this year)

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 2016 Fitz on this board was one of the most hated players in Jets history. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

In 2016 Fitz on this board was one of the most hated players in Jets history. 

Yeah.  And I haven't changed my opinion on him one bit.  I just don't voice it because he's everybody's favorite league journeyman & "Hav'aad grad."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, Tua's fatih was sealed the moment the Dolphins drafted him and with Fitzy lurking about. The Glassman and the Bearded One is a really bad combo. For our fragile little friend that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did they ask him if he has already made the Tua voo doo doll yet in case Tua wins the starting job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Yeah.  And I haven't changed my opinion on him one bit.  I just don't voice it because he's everybody's favorite league journeyman & "Hav'aad grad."

I'm not into blaming him or one player because of week 17 against the Bills that year. On that day the entire team did not show up to play. And it was still a very close game. My criticism of Fitz is he was never a smart player even though he could do a Rubik's cube. But he unlike really good NFL Qbs who knew their limits and would play within their talent level (and win games) he always pushed it too far and that leads to turnovers. He's not alone even Namath did it threw too much too often. There were times he had to do it when the team was way behind and he got killed for it and that wasn't really fair. He threw into traffic hoping to make big plays in those cases playing from behind it was legit and smart.  He wasn't afraid to take the heat, get the bad stat if he had a chance to win. But if he teaches Tua anything teach him to not be like Fitz. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So other teams have fluff pieces too? Cool

Last time I checked, Miami always wins this time of year and then sucks. Hope it is the same story this year as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I'm not into blaming him or one player because of week 17 against the Bills that year. On that day the entire team did not show up to play. And it was still a very close game. My criticism of Fitz is he was never a smart player even though he could do a Rubik's cube. But he unlike really good NFL Qbs who knew their limits and would play within their talent level (and win games) he always pushed it too far and that leads to turnovers. He's not alone even Namath did it threw too much too often. There were times he had to do it when the team was way behind and he got killed for it and that wasn't really fair. He threw into traffic hoping to make big plays in those cases playing from behind it was legit and smart.  He wasn't afraid to take the heat, get the bad stat if he had a chance to win. But if he teaches Tua anything teach him to not be like Fitz. 

Part of life is knowing your limitations.  Some of us are born knowing we won't do certain things because we don't have what it takes.  The failure to accept this or acknowledge this is a kind of desperate pathetic reality.  There are only a handful of people who can be a franchise quarterback.  That's a scientific fact.  And that changes with time.  But it"s true.  There are also only a certain amount of drummers on this earth who can play Frank Zappa's composition the Black Page.  Because it's so darnn hard. 

And... only a certain amount of Bradys, Wilson's and Rogers...who will get you to the playoffs.  And worth paying because they can get you to the playoffs regularly.  But not Fitz.  He isn't even an Alex Smith or Josh Allen.

He has always been bombing around the league after that one job on a team that was going nowhere.  Or looking for that one team with a QB situation just uncertain enough for him to seizure it.  So he can show everybody again that he can make enough single reads or take enough hits to have a big game.  But never be able to sustain it because he doesn't have the ability.  And then grumble amd ruminate like a character in a Shakespeare play.  He earned himself a lot if dough.  He also has a complex.

"The cycle of Fitz." 

Freud would have a field day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Part of life is knowing your limitations.  Some of us are born knowing we won't do certain things because we don't have what it takes.  The failure to accept this or acknowledge this is a kind of desperate pathetic reality.  There are only a handful of people who can be a franchise quarterback.  That's a scientific fact.  And that changes with time.  But it"s true.  There are also only a certain amount of drummers on this earth who can play Frank Zappa's composition the Black Page.  Because it's so darnn hard. 

And... only a certain amount of Bradys, Wilson's and Rogers...who will get you to the playoffs.  And worth paying because they can get you to the playoffs regularly.  But not Fitz.  He isn't even an Alex Smith or Josh Allen.

He has always been bombing around the league after that one job on a team that was going nowhere.  Or looking for that one team with a QB situation just uncertain enough for him to seizure it.  So he can show everybody again that he can make enough single reads or take enough hits to have a big game.  But never be able to sustain it because he doesn't have the ability.  And then grumble amd ruminate like a character in a Shakespeare play.  He earned himself a lot if dough.  He also has a complex.

"The cycle of Fitz." 

Freud would have a field day.

He has enough ability to play and even start in the NFL. But a man has to know his limitations. It’s not weakness it’s smarts. Not every Qb has the same skills. There have been excellent NFL winning Qbs guys with average arms but extra smart. Who weren’t flashy but consistently won games. Guys like Staubach, Bart Starr etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

He has enough ability to play and even start in the NFL. But a man has to know his limitations. It’s not weakness it’s smarts. Not every Qb has the same skills. There have been excellent NFL winning Qbs guys with average arms but extra smart. Who weren’t flashy but consistently won games. Guys like Staubach, Bart Starr etc. 

Fitz's on field smarts are as overrated as he is. 

The problem with linking QB IQ with neck-up QB ability is time allotted. Analogizing a timed Wonderlic, or solving a 3x3 cube in a couple minutes, to a QB surveying his options, is a false equivalence.

Once the playbook is known, the 2-3 seconds a QB typically has is more instinct than problem solving math or logic or word definitions/antonyms in a minute or even 10 seconds. (Never mind with all the solution websites out there, solving a 3x3 cube as he does is a recipe-memory skill, not one of intelligence, in the first place.)

This is the answer why some great QBs over the decades can seem like functional motions off the field, while 40+ Wonderlic guys stare down receivers like they’re transmitting semaphore or directing a plane with those mini-lightsaber flashlights, unable to identify a second downfield read absent a 5-second pocket, forcing in passes that a brilliant person would never attempt, given more time to analyze than a QB has. 

There’s your explanation why a cut off his obvious intelligence throws right into coverage so frequently. He’s clearly a smart person, but he’s not a smart QB. He shouldn’t ever be missed.

In his favor, most of the countless other QBs in college and pros, with his physical skill level and better, also suck at this. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fitz's on field smarts are as overrated as he is. 

The problem with linking QB IQ with neck-up QB ability is time allotted. Analogizing a timed Wonderlic, or solving a 3x3 cube in a couple minutes, to a QB surveying his options, is a false equivalence.

Once the playbook is known, the 2-3 seconds a QB typically has is more instinct than problem solving math or logic or word definitions/antonyms in a minute or even 10 seconds. (Never mind with all the solution websites out there, solving a 3x3 cube as he does is a recipe-memory skill, not one of intelligence, in the first place.)

This is the answer why some great QBs over the decades can seem like functional motions off the field, while 40+ Wonderlic guys stare down receivers like they’re transmitting semaphore or directing a plane with those mini-lightsaber flashlights, unable to identify a second downfield read absent a 5-second pocket, forcing in passes that a brilliant person would never attempt, given more time to analyze than a QB has. 

There’s your explanation why a cut off his obvious intelligence throws right into coverage so frequently. He’s clearly a smart person, but he’s not a smart QB. He shouldn’t ever be missed.

In his favor, most of the countless other QBs in college and pros, with his physical skill level and better, also suck at this. 

hmm....marino, favre, bradshaw come to mind when talking about qb's who are goobers off the field.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tua is going to be a really good QB in this league. He's Sam's biggest threat to the AFC East throne, not Allen.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He shouldn’t ever be missed.

Most productive Jets QB in a single season ever.  The last time prior to him we had a top 10 Offense was 1998.

Did you watch McCown play?  Or Geno?  Or the jokes we played when Darnold went down?

Here is something that can't be over-rated:  Jets Fans irrational loathing of a QB who was legitimately fun, played hard as any Jets QB in ages, throws his body away to get that extra yard, was a team-first guy all the way, and provided the ONLY Offensive competitive fun the Jets have seen in 20+ years now. 

And why did they hate him?  For wanting a few bucks after producing the best season at QB this moribund franchise had seen to that point, one of the few seasons we've ever had in modern Jets history where we actually looked like an NFL offense.  The failure of 2016 was by the GM, not by Fitzpatrick.  And since JN LOVES to play the "take away the Pats game and Darnodl was great" game, lets play that for Fitz too, take away the Chiefs game.  And lets not forget that Fitz lost half the team to injuries in 2016....or is having a sh*t support only an excuse for golden boy Darnold?

Jets fans will irrationally and incorrectly credit Marshall and Decker for 2015.....both of whom washed out of the league not long after that great 2015 season, because both were basically done as NFL players when Fitz and our O-line raised them up and provided both of them with best single seasons of their careers.  It was quite clearly a group effort, unlike post-Fitz hater propaganda.  

McCown sucked, Geno sucked, and Darnold, so far, has yet to be as good as Fitz where it counts, production.  Darnold gets alot of love, and some of the most flowery language this side of romantic poetry from Jets fans, but he's not in Fitz ballpark yet in terms of actual on-field production.

Fitz has turned minimal physical talent into a 15 year NFL career.  He's always been there when #1 QB's go down, which for some crazy reason Jets Fans think is a BAD thing.  I sure as hell would have rather had Fitz last year for those Darnold-less games than Simien or Falk or Fales.  

Damn right I missed Fitz, because I had to watch McCown, and Bryce Petty, and too many games where Darnold wasn't available since then.  

Lets be honest, a team that has sucked like us at QB, and been losers ever since, has little room to bitch about the only QB to give us a decent offense in two decades.  

 

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Most productive Jets QB in a single season ever.  The last time prior to him we had a top 10 Offense was 1998.

Did you watch McCown play?  Or Geno?  Or the jokes we played when Darnold went down?

Here is something that can't be over-rated:  Jets Fans irrational loathing of a QB who was legitimately fun, played hard as any Jets QB in ages, throws his body away to get that extra yard, was a team-first guy all the way, and provided the ONLY Offensive competitive fun the Jets have seen in 20+ years now. 

And why did they hate him?  For wanting a few bucks after producing the best season at QB this moribund franchise had seen to that point, one of the few seasons we've ever had in modern Jets history where we actually looked like an NFL offense.  The failure of 2016 was by the GM, not by Fitzpatrick.  And since JN LOVES to play the "take away the Pats game and Darnodl was great" game, lets play that for Fitz too, take away the Chiefs game.  And lets not forget that Fitz lost half the team to injuries in 2016....or is having a sh*t support only an excuse for golden boy Darnold?

Jets fans will irrationally and incorrectly credit Marshall and Decker for 2015.....both of whom washed out of the league not long after that great 2015 season, because both were basically done as NFL players when Fitz and our O-line raised them up and provided both of them with best single seasons of their careers.  It was quite clearly a group effort, unlike post-Fitz hater propaganda.  

McCown sucked, Geno sucked, and Darnold, so far, has yet to be as good as Fitz where it counts, production.  Darnold gets alot of love, and some of the most flowery language this side of romantic poetry from Jets fans, but he's not in Fitz ballpark yet in terms of actual on-field production.

Fitz has turned minimal physical talent into a 15 year NFL career.  He's always been there when #1 QB's go down, which for some crazy reason Jets Fans think is a BAD thing.  I sure as hell would have rather had Fitz last year for those Darnold-less games than Simien or Falk or Fales.  

Damn right I missed Fitz, because I had to watch McCown, and Bryce Petty, and too many games where Darnold wasn't available since then.  

Lets be honest, a team that has sucked like us at QB, and been losers ever since, has little room to bitch about the only QB to give us a decent offense in two decades.  

 

 

lol ok

He's either good enough or not good enough. Better than Geno Smith or a career backup like McCown, but still not good enough, is nothing to look back upon with nostalgic reverence. Particularly when he had such a cakewalk schedule of unparalleled good weather (a big deal for a QB like him); particularly when he threw some 30+ interception-worthy passes himself in his banner season. Absent that easy schedule and a pair of tall, above average receivers still in their prime erasing many of his errors, he'd have finished as he did in every other season of his career: without a winning record. 

If you want to argue that Fitzpatrick is a better backup QB than Falk, you'll have few people arguing with you, but I missed the part where that was up for debate, let alone where it was the binary choice. And overmatched as Falk was, because he's not even a legit NFL backup let alone starter, there's still zero evidence the Jets wouldn't have still gone 0-3 in the games Darnold missed to mono -- with Darnold or Fitz in Falk's stead. A puncher's chance at best with someone else, but the likely best-case was 1-2. It's convenient to forget this team lost to two winless teams (and we're not talking about the first 2-3 weeks of the season) that had nothing to do with Falk. 

Seems I've touched a nerve. But while he may be a winner in life, as a QB the guy is a loser. The fact that we have had other losers even worse doesn't change that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

lol ok

He's either good enough or not good enough.

He was good enough to be the most productive QB in your or my lifetimes as a NY Jet.  And the last QB to lead a decent NY Jets Offense, the only one to do so since 1998, over 20 years ago now.

He was good enough that he could have started here since 2016 all the way thru 2018, and we'd have had better records than we did in every single one of those years.

Quote

Better than Geno Smith or a career backup like McCown, but still not good enough, is nothing to look back upon with nostalgic reverence.

As opposed to Sam "Insert all the possible Compliments" Darnold, who has yet to hit average production, much less earn ANY of the various compliments he gets every day here?

Please, spare me the lecture as to who I should or should not look back fondly upon.  

Quote

Particularly when he had such a cakewalk schedule of unparalleled good weather

As opposed to losing to the 0 win Dolphins and 0 win Bengals, setting a new NFL record, like Sam Darnold, right?

You play the schedule you're given.  

Quote

If you want to argue that Fitzpatrick is a better backup QB than Falk.....

I would argue exactly what I already argued:  Fitz was better than Geno, better than Mike Vick, better than Petty, better then McCown, better than Simiean, better than Fales, better than Falk and better in terms of production, at least to-date, than Darnold.  

When I look fondly at a player (ffs we have a "Thank You Brian Winter" Thread on this very board today, WINTER ffs!) I tend to like guys with great attitudes, who play hard Pete Rose style, who was fun to watch, who helped us be competitive, and produced one of our only decent offensive and QB production seasons since the f'ing 90's.  

Yes Sperm, I look VERY fondly at having a top 10 offense.

Quote

Seems I've touched a nerve.

Not really.  I can write 10,000 words at the drop of a hat mate, same as you.  

I simply will never understand the hatred (and I use that word consciously, it IS hatred for many) of Fitzy, given his tenure here.  One great productive fun year, one year where most of the Offense got hurt and we disappointed.  

Given the sh*t show that's followed, and who the alternate option was when he was here (yes, that's Geno Smith) one might think the hard playing, good natured guy who produced would be seen fondly.....or at least neutrally. 

That one year was the most fun I've had as a fan since the two Rex Ryans AFCG runs.  It's been a boderline nightmare since then.

But nope, near universal hatred and constant sh*t talk.  While we have "We will miss you Trever Simianananan" threads and their ilk here all the time.  It's a bloody laugh.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warfish said:

He was good enough to be the most productive QB in your or my lifetimes as a NY Jet.  And the last QB to lead a decent NY Jets Offense, the only one to do so since 1998, over 20 years ago now.

He was good enough that he could have started here since 2016 all the way thru 2018, and we'd have had better records than we did in every single one of those years.

As opposed to Sam "Insert all the possible Compliments" Darnold, who has yet to hit average production, much less earn ANY of the various compliments he gets every day here?

Please, spare me the lecture as to who I should or should not look back fondly upon.  

As opposed to losing to the 0 win Dolphins and 0 win Bengals, setting a new NFL record, like Sam Darnold, right?

You play the schedule you're given.  

I would argue exactly what I already argued:  Fitz was better than Geno, better then McCown, better than Simiean, better than Fales, better than Falk and better in terms of production, at least to-date, than Darnold.  

When I look fondly at a player (ffs we have a "Thank You Brian Winter" Thread on this very board today, WINTER ffs!) I tend to like guys with great attitudes, who play hard Pete Rose style, who was fun to watch, who helped us be competitive, and produced one of our only decent offensive and QB production seasons since the f'ing 90's.  

Not really.  I can write 10,000 words at the drop of a hat mate, same as you.  

I simply will never understand the hatred (and I use that word consciously, it IS hatred for many) of Fitzy, given his tenure here.  One great productive fun year, one year where most of the Offense got hurt and we disappointed.  

Given the sh*t show that's followed, and who the alternate option was when he was here (yes, that's Geno Smith) one might think the hard playing guy good natured guy who produced would be seen fondly.....or at least neutrally. 

But nope, near universal hatred and constant sh*t talk.  While we have "We will miss you Trever Simianananan" threads and their ilk here all the time.  It's a bloody laugh.

Thank you for classifying my emotions for me, telling me which humans I love and hate. 

All I said is he sucks, in whatever verbose manner I do, and he's not the type of QB I miss or look back upon with fond memories, nor yearn to. The rest is in your head.  

Fitzpatrick is and was a sucky QB, and as an NFL leader/QB he's a loser. This is my feeling. 

But feel free to disagree and continue "love" him as you will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Thank you for classifying my emotions for me, telling me which humans I love and hate. 

All I said is he sucks, in whatever verbose manner I do, and he's not the type of QB I miss or look back upon with fond memories, nor yearn to. The rest is in your head.  

Fitzpatrick is and was a sucky QB, and as an NFL leader/QB he's a loser. This is my feeling. 

But feel free to disagree and continue "love" him as you will. 

 

Warfish loves Kirk Cousins, and still wishes he had signed here for $33M per year fully guaranteed.

Enough said.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Thank you for classifying my emotions for me, telling me which humans I love and hate. 

As opposed to you telling me who and what I should recall fondly? 

Respectfully, you can jog on with that faux-sensitivity, mate.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

All I said is he sucks

And all I said is that he was better than almost everything we've had since.  

And more fun to watch than pretty much everything we've had since.

And more productive and competitive than pretty much everything we've had since. 

Put another way, I am hoping (because it's no sure thing) that our beloved golden boy #1 draft pick that cost us 3x other picks to get and is now in his third year......can at least MATCH the fun and productivity of what Fitz produced in 2015.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

.....he's not the type of QB I miss or look back upon with fond memories, nor yearn to.

I miss fun.  I miss productivity.  I miss being a top 10 offense.  I miss a QB who actually threatens the pathetic "best ever" Jets QB season production.

If you don't...ok. 

Weird.  But ok.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Warfish loves Kirk Cousins, and still wishes he had signed here for $33M per year fully guaranteed.

Enough said.  

Only because he's better than Sam Darnold and wouldn't have cost us four top draft picks to get.  Just cap space we could have afforded. 

But yeah, how embarrassing, right?  To like a legitimately productive top-10 franchise QB who would have been threatening the all-time-best Jets QB production records on day 1, who could want that?

Unlike so many of you, my fondness isn't earned by "potential" and dreamy doe-eyed flowery rhetoric, it's earned by actual on-field production.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As opposed to you telling me who and what I should recall fondly? 

Respectfully, you can jog on with that faux-sensitivity, mate.

And all I said is that he was better than almost everything we've had since.  

And more fun to watch than pretty much everything we've had since.

And more productive and competitive than pretty much everything we've had since. 

Put another way, I am hoping (because it's no sure thing) that our beloved golden boy #1 draft pick that cost us 3x other picks to get and is now in his third year......can at least MATCH the fun and productivity of what Fitz produced in 2015.

I miss fun.  I miss productivity.  I miss being a top 10 offense.  I miss a QB who actually threatens the pathetic "best ever" Jets QB season production.

If you don't...ok. 

Weird.  But ok.

 

I didn't tell you whom you should look upon fondly, though you interpreted it that way (now twice). You do you. I'm saying I don't, and think it's pretty silly to fondly look back upon such a lost opportunity, but do what makes you happy. 

And you said a bit more than he was much better than almost everything we've had since. I don't even know that I agree, other than he had it stupidly easy that year. When the circumstances weren't so favorable (if not outright easy), he sucked.

The productivity was not him, but the circumstances around him. I'm not looking to re-hash in detail, but he sucked and pumped up numbers against trash thanks to those weak opponents (in some cases, severely weakened), two stud receivers, fair weather, generally good pass protection, a legit ground game, and solid defense). We won what, one game all year when the D/ST gave up >20 points, and that was against Jacksonville who only narrowly eclipsed that with a garbage late TD against a Bowles prevent. 

I don't look back at that season fondly myself, but rather as an opportunity lost by having such a flawed QB. But you do what makes you happy; you hardly need my permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Warfish I get why you look back fondly upon 2015.  You seem to have forgotten that he was here in 2016 too, made a whole bunch of money and blew donkeys.  McCown, and Darnold have been considerably better than 2016 Fitzpatrick, despite not having Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker or Quincy Enunwa. 

Doesn't he get any credit for that bottom 5 offense in 2016?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

@Warfish I get why you look back fondly upon 2015.  You seem to have forgotten that he was here in 2016 too, made a whole bunch of money and blew donkeys.  McCown, and Darnold have been considerably better than 2016 Fitzpatrick, despite not having Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker or Quincy Enunwa. 

Doesn't he get any credit for that bottom 5 offense in 2016?

 

You would think we'd have extreme aversion to those flashes of top-end QB play by now, given what happened after each of them occurred.  We got one great year out of Vinny and Fitzpatrick and two partial great years out of Pennington and Favre. 

This franchise hasn't had a QB string together multiple top-end seasons since maybe Ken O'Brien.  And that's probably giving O'Brien too much credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

@Warfish I get why you look back fondly upon 2015.  You seem to have forgotten that he was here in 2016 too, made a whole bunch of money and blew donkeys.  McCown, and Darnold have been considerably better than 2016 Fitzpatrick, despite not having Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker or Quincy Enunwa. 

Doesn't he get any credit for that bottom 5 offense in 2016?

Brandon Marshall, who was horrible in 2016, and quickly out of the NFL afterwards, whose best year in the NFL was with Fitz?

Eric Decker, hurt all year in 2016, and quickly out of the NFL afterwards, whose best year in the NFL was with Fitz?

Those two all time greats? :-k 

Quincy Enunwa?  Seriously, lol.  A guy who is loved still by many Jets fans for a hell of alot less (at a hell of alot more cost) than Fitz, lol.

Yes, Fitz deserves alot of criticism for 2016, no doubt about it.  So does the GM, who penny pinched rather than signing Fitz (or not, that would have been valid too, but waiting to sign Fitz so late was fatal that year).  So does the God of Injuries, who screwed us in 2016 the same way he screwed us in 2019, you almost might think we have a Trainer issue with franchise as often as injuries is a killer for us.

McCown flat out wasn't a better QB.  That's just a laugh.  McCown was a cheaper, poor man's Fitz, after all.  A worse Journeyman.

It's all good, everyone hates the only QB who ever came close to exceeding Joe Namath for single-season production.  It's all his WR's (except is wasn't), it was all the easy schedule (just like 1969, oops, no one likes to talk about that do they), we're better off losing endlessly with McCown got it.  And Darnold is an all-time great already, got that too.

I side with keeping Fitz (over McCown), signing Cousins and drafting Deshaun Watson.  If I were GM, that's our QB's these past years.

You guys side with Geno, McCown and Darnold (without the three picks it took to get him).  I get it.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Brandon Marshall, who was horrible in 2016, and quickly out of the NFL afterwards, whose best year in the NFL was with Fitz?

Eric Decker, hurt all year in 2016, and quickly out of the NFL afterwards, whose best year in the NFL was with Fitz?

Those two all time greats? :-k 

Quincy Enunwa?  Seriously, lol.  A guy who is loved still by many Jets fans for a hell of alot less (at a hell of alot more cost) than Fitz, lol.

Yes, Fitz deserves alot of criticism for 2016, no doubt about it.  So does the GM, who penny pinched rather than signing Fitz (or not, that would have been valid too, but waiting to sign Fitz so late was fatal that year).  So does the God of Injuries, who screwed us in 2016 the same way he screwed us in 2019, you almost might think we have a Trainer issue with franchise as often as injuries is a killer for us.

McCown flat out wasn't a better QB.  That's just a laugh.  McCown was a cheaper, poor man's Fitz, after all.  A worse Journeyman.

It's all good, everyone hates the only QB who ever came close to exceeding Joe Namath for single-season production.  It's all his WR's (except is wasn't), it was all the easy schedule (just like 1969, oops, no one likes to talk about that do they), we're better off losing endlessly with McCown got it.  And Darnold is an all-time great already, got that too.

I side with keeping Fitz (over McCown), signing Cousins and drafting Deshaun Watson.  If I were GM, that's our QB's these past years.

You guys side with Geno, McCown and Darnold (without the three picks it took to get him).  I get it.  

 

This whole post is bullsh*t. 

Who are you lumping me in with?  My plans at QB aren't the same as others.  Pretty sure I was as high up the list as anyone that drafting a safety at 6 was a mistake, but if it makes you feel better knock yourself out.   You wanted to pay Firzpatrick, Cousins and Watson?  That is about as delusional as it gets.  

Fitzpatrick is a journeyman QB that had an excellent year in 2015.  He also had a horrific year in 2016.  You can blame the GM, but McCown and Darnold have not had weapons as good as what Fitzpatrick had in 2016.  Marshall carried Fitzpatrick in 2015.  He fell off in 2016.  Decker played 3 games.  Almost 100% of the snaps.  That's almost 20% of the year.   Enunwa played the full year.  Those guys were replaced for 2017 with the immortal Jermaine Kearse and the QB produced better numbers.  I guess you might get all excited over the return of 30 year old Jeremy Kerley?  I was not a huge fan of the Uncle Josh signing, but it was, at worst, a wash compared to Fitzpatrick.   

You can wax poetic about that stiff all you want, but before you go comparing him to Namath maybe you should check his line in the most important game of the season.  What stat do you like?  Under 50%, under 200 yards passing and 3 INTs. 17 points!  Remember, the Bills D was middle of the pack that year.   All hail the conquering hero! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...