Jetsbb

CJ Mosley advocated to let players go out and socialize plus didn't want an NFL bubble.

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Playing the sport risks his personal health, and is his choice. Football players know the personal risks they take on the field.

COVID is a risk to everyone, and doesn't let you have a choice. From Mosley's statement, it appears as though potential risk to his family is what has caused him to opt out.

I don't know his family circumstances - none of us do - but I respect the decision, if he has someone high risk in his family that he is seeking to protect by opting out.

Well let's start with the fact (as best as I can tell from a limited search) that he is single and has no kids.  It was a bit confusing at first, but I believe the other C.J. Mosley (DT) is married but not the one on the Jets.  So if that's true, then I'm having a little bit harder of a time feeling for him.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, FlightBoyz said:

These guys have families. Totally understand why they dont want to play.. Us football fans don't seem to understand. Dont think Mosley is caking it. 

Except Mosley isn't married and has no kids.  This ain't Antonio Cromartie we're talking about.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Whenever players have opted out due to specific family concerns, like Solder, you heard about it right away. It was part of their announcement. With Mosley it was just a random press release. No mention of family. You would think a player letting down his teammates, franchise and fanbase would get out out in front of a situation like this and give those specific concerns. 

This just feels like a dude who just rather collect his paycheck next year...which is his right, but the fanbase doesn't have to like it. 

Let's see if he's okay with playing next season for just $7.5MM because he already collected his roster bonus for this season.  Frankly, that was a terrible loophole in the structure of the opt-out.  He had the right to do it, but the Jets got burned.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not if I had health concern at home

How much money would be your sell out paint, at what point would you tell your wife however that youre going to put their health or maybe their lives at risk?

WTF is it with the money?  They were paid before this was real and things dont seem a little different in the world than in in early march. 

I keep saying this, and you keep missing it, so one more time.

C.J. Mosley is not married and does not have kids.  I don't know if he lives with his parents, but it's not unreasonable to assume that is not the case.  Something is off-base with his tweet versus the reality you are trying to paint.  Yes, he has the right to opt out, and he exercised it.  It's also a bad look in his case without context and I think there's a lot of justification for fans (and teammates) to be disappointed.  Not sure why you're digging in to defend him specifically.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

How so? Is the point that because the bulk of his pay was a roster bonus that he made most of his money for year already and it cost him comparatively little to sit out?

If so good on him, I might share your disapproval if he was campaigning for nobody to play after his good fortune but he doesnt seem to be 

In his defense, he got that roster bonus on March 1 I believe, before this was a 'thing'.  Can't hold him responsible for the way the timing worked out.  Also, he will play next year on the $7.5M salary he was due this year and nothing else.  So basically, he is just splitting his salary for this season over two years like everyone else who opts out...he just got a big chunk of it early, which makes it easier.  

I think it would have been nicer for me as a fan if he had made a clearer statement about his concerns rather than a somewhat cryptic tweet.  So soon after trading Adams, he was clearly looked to as a leader of this team's defense and he didn't really step up into the role just now.  It felt more like a 'peace out fellas, thanks for all the fish, see you next year' moment.  Disappointing.

I'm not saying he's a 'bad guy'.  I just think he seemed to have a beef with the process, maybe a very legitimate one, and missed the opportunity to communicate that, which could have gone a long way to making this easier to understand.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

What if he's very close to his family and since he's not married and doesnt have kids he spends a lot of time with his family.  And in his family, he has family members that are at high risk?  I just read an artcile about a teenage who just lost both his parents who were high risk to covid.  

The fact that he dosent have kids or a wife, doesnt mean his life or those of his loved ones arent important. 

He never mentioned family. 

That's just a thing here on the board because some people here jumped to conclusions.  He mentioned that he felt players were held to a different standard than coaches and owners.  He also said "maybe he didn't hear it on the call".  According to the nfl and nflpa, each team's IDER plan breaks personnel out into 3 tiers.  Tier 1 is players and staff such as trainers who must come into contact with players.  Tier 2 is personnel who must be in restricted areas of the facilities but not necessarily in direct contact.  Tier 3 is for staff like marketing and such that don't need to be as restricted.  This was all set up and agreed to by the NFLPA, I believe 29 yes votes to 3 no votes but I'm not sure about that.  

So just to revew....Mosley never mentioned concern for safety of his family.  Mosley mentioned he didn't like the restrictions for players but not for coaches and owners - which is not a clear interpretation of reality as the restrictions vary by role.  He seemed to call out both the NFL and NFLPA for this so maybe he has a different thought, but he could have shared that concern rather than leaving it as a single cryptic tweet.

Again....unless I missed it, this is not about concern for his family.  In his own words, it seems to be about what he perceives as an uneven standard for players and coaches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Easy for you to say but maybe CJ doesnt find it that easy.  Maybe he has concerns with the coaches and owners not being quarantined while he is and even if he's taking a principle stand here, cool.  

idk man not my choice - I'd play but I'm not CJ Mosley 

Just a few annoying facts here.

Coaches are subject to IDER rules just like players.  It's all available to see with a little effort.  The NFL and NFLPA agreed to 3 tiers of personnel associated with NFL teams.  Players and all personnel who must come into contact with them are Tier 1 (e.g. trainers).  Personnel who must be in the same restricted areas of the facility but not be within 6 feet of players are Tier 2 (e.g. Equipment Managers).  Personnel who work for the team but don't need to be in restricted areas or near players are Tier 3 (e.g. Marketing).  

I believe each team submitted a plan to the league with its IDER plan and most, if not all have been approved.  Coaches are absolutely included, not sure if teams have leeway on Tier 1 or 2 though.  Everyone in each tier is subject to the same rules and restrictions.  The NFLPA agreed to this.

I do not know if owners need to be on a Tier list but if they are not, then they are not supposed to be in the restricted areas.  If they honor that, then that shouldn't be an issue.  The plans are player-centric and set up to maximize player safety with everyone else fitting into the tiers as required.

I'm not saying it's perfect.  I'm not saying players shouldn't be concerned.  But Mosley's position seems a little disingenuous when you take this into consideration.  Unless there's more to it, which I'd be happy to hear but he's not elaborating.

What Nate Solder did was over the top awesome.  I am not saying every player should be held to that standard or anything close to it.  He went beyond what would be reasonable to expect, but I think he put a lot of players' and fans' minds at ease that he gave this thought, had solid reasons, and wished all of them well this year.  This is the absolute gold standard for how a player might choose to approach this situation.

When a star player opts out, it is a nice gesture to say something to the team and fans.  Mosley hasn't done this yet.  Maybe he will but the optics aren't stellar and a little criticism isn't completely unwarranted.  Hell, even Jamal found it in his heart to say something nice to the fans on the way out.  Now there's a low bar for you.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

This sounds like a lot more then just a “covid” related decision. Honestly sounds like he’s lost the passion to play with the way he keeps saying find that flame again. 

This is not a good look for CJ.  He does look like he's checking out and grabbed himself a going away gift of $150k.  On the other hand, if he doesn't play next season, it would be interesting if the Jets were entitled to claw back the roster bonus they paid him in March.  Anyone know how that rule works?

• Upvote 1

So I read the article and it said something I did not know.  He has a son.  That was unusually difficult to find on the Internet, which is usually giving with both hands on personal information about celebrities.  So I'll give him at least a partial pass for that, which I was unaware of earlier.  Obviously I don't know any details of who is raising him so I can't judge.  Many NFL players have children and are playing, but this may be a more unique type of situation.  

In any case, I hope it's what he says it is, and not him losing his passion for the game.  I guess we'll know in a year.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company