CJ Mosley advocated to let players go out and socialize plus didn't want an NFL bubble.

Jetsbb

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Whenever players have opted out due to specific family concerns, like Solder, you heard about it right away. It was part of their announcement. With Mosley it was just a random press release. No mention of family. You would think a player letting down his teammates, franchise and fanbase would get out out in front of a situation like this and give those specific concerns. 

This just feels like a dude who just rather collect his paycheck next year...which is his right, but the fanbase doesn't have to like it. 

Lets see, it was reported by Cimini

The reason in the first line was over health issues with family.

Not everyone feels the urge to bring up their families health issues.  Probably why their are laws against it

• Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I keep saying this, and you keep missing it, so one more time.

C.J. Mosley is not married and does not have kids.  I don't know if he lives with his parents, but it's not unreasonable to assume that is not the case.  Something is off-base with his tweet versus the reality you are trying to paint.  Yes, he has the right to opt out, and he exercised it.  It's also a bad look in his case without context and I think there's a lot of justification for fans (and teammates) to be disappointed.  Not sure why you're digging in to defend him specifically.

And you know all this how?  Who knows his private life well enough to question his motives.  Athletes never have a parent or parents living with them.  Has to be a wife, can’t have a girlfriend living with them?  

Because you dont know you keep saying hes making this up or worse.  Why?  Because he just cant say I want to quarantine and the NFL hasn't come up with ways to protect us?  Because he didnt feel the need to give away his situation to the world, didnt want to be that open on twitter?  HIPPA laws don’t come into effect if you are a player that we want to play ball? 

We bitch and moan about players talking too much on twitter until they dont.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

Let's see if he's okay with playing next season for just $7.5MM because he already collected his roster bonus for this season.  Frankly, that was a terrible loophole in the structure of the opt-out.  He had the right to do it, but the Jets got burned.

The Jets didn't get burned.  The Jets along with the other 32 teams decided to put on a second rate game for at least several weeks because they know the advertising dollars are there for second rate football.  The Jets value over the long haul will not be impacted one dime.  The Jets like all 32 teams are partners.  What any team pays any player is irrelevant to the teams value and their ongoing business.  

You got screwed because just like other teams the Jets are losing good players.  The opt out rule isn't going to favor the Jets competitively on the field.  You were happy that the game would be worse and thought it might favor the Jets on the field.  Irrelevant to the actually team.

C.J. Mosley is not married and does not have kids.  I don't know if he lives with his parents, but it's not unreasonable to assume that is not the case.  Something is off-base with his tweet versus the reality you are trying to paint.  Yes, he has the right to opt out, and he exercised it.  It's also a bad look in his case without context and I think there's a lot of justification for fans (and teammates) to be disappointed.  Not sure why you're digging in to defend him specifically.

The only part of this i.can partially agree with is that... Being our highest paid player. ...A better look would have been to have a press conference saying I'm very sad to say that I have reluctantly decided not to suit up this season due to concerns over family related health issues. I ask everyone to please respect my privacy in this issue but know this... My support will be here for this team and I can't wait to get back on once this pandemic has subsided.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What does marriage have to do with anything? People who aren't married have relationships.  Some of them aren't married because they like having relationships, lots of them. 

• Upvote 1

IMO there is no point getting worked up about 2020.  Opt out, or don't, none of it matters really.  It's not out money, and we fans lose nothing.  2020 was going to be (and will be) a giant bag of *'s of a season for all the major sports.  Just look at MLB so far, you think 2020 won;t be a giant * in their record books?

The Jets were not winning a Super Bowl in 2020, and frankly, I don't WANT our Super Bowl, the first of my lifetime, to be in a plague-dominated 2020 apocalypse season.  Screw that noise, I want a LEGIT Super Bowl, not whatever this year's lolfest will be.

Sports, right now, is just a mental distraction from real life.  Where real things are happening, and 99% of them are bad.  Who wins, who loses, etc. means piss all, frankly.  and every single player has an unlimited right o say "screw that, I don;t want COVID" for whatever reason.  They're not screwing fans by doing so, they're protecting themselves, as they have every right to do.

Some folks IMO need to get a grip on what matters in this world, and it's not if Mosely plays football in 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I mean in this particular case I think it's because the dude finessed the team. Dont hate the player hate the game...but he swindled the Johnsons for 30 million and 3 quarters of play.

How so? Is the point that because the bulk of his pay was a roster bonus that he made most of his money for year already and it cost him comparatively little to sit out?

If so good on him, I might share your disapproval if he was campaigning for nobody to play after his good fortune but he doesnt seem to be 

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

How so? Is the point that because the bulk of his pay was a roster bonus that he made most of his money for year already and it cost him comparatively little to sit out?

If so good on him, I might share your disapproval if he was campaigning for nobody to play after his good fortune but he doesnt seem to be 

Yes him and his agent finessed the Jets. Good on him I guess. If the Johnson's were hoping their money would go to better use, I can imagine them being a little ticked off. But they signed off on it...seems like the Ravens allowed the Jets to keep upping the ante, similar with the Pats and Revis coming back. 

• WTF? 1

9 minutes ago, CTM said:

In his defense, he got that roster bonus on March 1 I believe, before this was a 'thing'.  Can't hold him responsible for the way the timing worked out.  Also, he will play next year on the $7.5M salary he was due this year and nothing else.  So basically, he is just splitting his salary for this season over two years like everyone else who opts out...he just got a big chunk of it early, which makes it easier.  

I think it would have been nicer for me as a fan if he had made a clearer statement about his concerns rather than a somewhat cryptic tweet.  So soon after trading Adams, he was clearly looked to as a leader of this team's defense and he didn't really step up into the role just now.  It felt more like a 'peace out fellas, thanks for all the fish, see you next year' moment.  Disappointing.

I'm not saying he's a 'bad guy'.  I just think he seemed to have a beef with the process, maybe a very legitimate one, and missed the opportunity to communicate that, which could have gone a long way to making this easier to understand.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Yes him and his agent finessed the Jets. Good on him I guess. If the Johnson's were hoping their money would go to better use, I can imagine them being a little ticked off. But they signed off on it...seems like the Ravens allowed the Jets to keep upping the ante, similar with the Pats and Revis coming back. 

They signed the deal. I'm sure if they could somehow screw the players they would 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CTM said:

They signed the deal. I'm sure if they could somehow screw the players they would 

Sure at the end of the day it's on the Johnson's. Taking on another teams player with a boatload of guaranteed money is always risky. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

The only part of this i.can partially agree with is that... Being our highest paid player. ...A better look would have been to have a press conference saying I'm very sad to say that I have reluctantly decided not to suit up this season due to concerns over family related health issues. I ask everyone to please respect my privacy in this issue but know this... My support will be here for this team and I can't wait to get back on once this pandemic has subsided.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

This! The Jets and the Mets are the two worst teams in creation when it comes to optics, public relations, and being tone deaf.  If the Jets had any influence at all on how this news was delivered, they should have held a press conference with Mosely as Dunnie said.  I have no issue with Mosely opting out (I would too), but the way a message is delivered is just as important sometimes as what the message is. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, nycdan said:

What if he's very close to his family and since he's not married and doesnt have kids he spends a lot of time with his family.  And in his family, he has family members that are at high risk?  I just read an artcile about a teenage who just lost both his parents who were high risk to covid.  

The fact that he dosent have kids or a wife, doesnt mean his life or those of his loved ones arent important. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, CTM said:

If they could?  lol  Pretty sure they do, all the time.  

And this isnt exactly Johnson, Revis, Wilk all over again.  He was significantly injured (he did ball out that first half vs. the Bills lol) and then a pandemic hit.

Is anyone going to mad about this is he has a pick six or stuffs a runner on 4th and 1 to send the Jets to the playoffs in 2021? i doubt it.

I

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

What if he's very close to his family and since he's not married and doesnt have kids he spends a lot of time with his family.  And in his family, he has family members that are at high risk?  I just read an artcile about a teenage who just lost both his parents who were high risk to covid.  

The fact that he dosent have kids or a wife, doesnt mean his life or those of his loved ones arent important. 

He never mentioned family. 

That's just a thing here on the board because some people here jumped to conclusions.  He mentioned that he felt players were held to a different standard than coaches and owners.  He also said "maybe he didn't hear it on the call".  According to the nfl and nflpa, each team's IDER plan breaks personnel out into 3 tiers.  Tier 1 is players and staff such as trainers who must come into contact with players.  Tier 2 is personnel who must be in restricted areas of the facilities but not necessarily in direct contact.  Tier 3 is for staff like marketing and such that don't need to be as restricted.  This was all set up and agreed to by the NFLPA, I believe 29 yes votes to 3 no votes but I'm not sure about that.  

So just to revew....Mosley never mentioned concern for safety of his family.  Mosley mentioned he didn't like the restrictions for players but not for coaches and owners - which is not a clear interpretation of reality as the restrictions vary by role.  He seemed to call out both the NFL and NFLPA for this so maybe he has a different thought, but he could have shared that concern rather than leaving it as a single cryptic tweet.

Again....unless I missed it, this is not about concern for his family.  In his own words, it seems to be about what he perceives as an uneven standard for players and coaches.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

He never mentioned family. 

That's just a thing here on the board because some people here jumped to conclusions.  He mentioned that he felt players were held to a different standard than coaches and owners.  He also said "maybe he didn't hear it on the call".  According to the nfl and nflpa, each team's IDER plan breaks personnel out into 3 tiers.  Tier 1 is players and staff such as trainers who must come into contact with players.  Tier 2 is personnel who must be in restricted areas of the facilities but not necessarily in direct contact.  Tier 3 is for staff like marketing and such that don't need to be as restricted.  This was all set up and agreed to by the NFLPA, I believe 29 yes votes to 3 no votes but I'm not sure about that.  

So just to revew....Mosley never mentioned concern for safety of his family.  Mosley mentioned he didn't like the restrictions for players but not for coaches and owners - which is not a clear interpretation of reality as the restrictions vary by role.  He seemed to call out both the NFL and NFLPA for this so maybe he has a different thought, but he could have shared that concern rather than leaving it as a single cryptic tweet.

Again....unless I missed it, this is not about concern for his family.  In his own words, it seems to be about what he perceives as an uneven standard for players and coaches.  

That's strange because every article I can find when I do the google states it is because of "family health concerns".  

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-cj-mosley-opt-out-2020-coronavirus-1.47599887

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jets-c-j-mosley-opts-out-of-2020-season-due-to-family-health-concerns-per-report/

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2902661-report-jets-cj-mosley-opts-out-of-2020-season-over-family-health-concerns

and if it's really because he doesnt think the rules are fair and he's frustrated the players didnt get a say, well, he's right and I get it and have no problem with him saying no thanks. 

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Conveniently ignoring his first tweet where he explicitly lays out his position. He was complaining about the restrictions on players from going out to bars and gatherings.  His bubble comment was in reference to his first tweet. He meant that you can't put players in a bubble you need to let them go out and mingle with the public the coronovirus be damned. It looks like he opted out because he wouldn't be able to party outside of football not because he was worried about getting the virus.

Riiiight.

I don’t care.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2020 at 7:39 AM, Jetster said:

If JD can trade this offseason just get rid of him for whatever you can get. Sick & tired of the Jets getting nothing for their money in free agency! 

Revis, Trumaine Johnson, Mosely. Ugh ?

Forgot Wilkerson all pro bow wow wow gang.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

CJ Mosley and Yoenis Cespedes thinking alike. 

Just let that sink in for all the CJ Mosley defenders. 

That’s so wrong

And there’s nothing to defend, he’s following the rules of the new CBA

37 minutes ago, JiF said:

If they could?  lol  Pretty sure they do, all the time.  

And this isnt exactly Johnson, Revis, Wilk all over again.  He was significantly injured (he did ball out that first half vs. the Bills lol) and then a pandemic hit.

Is anyone going to mad about this is he has a pick six or stuffs a runner on 4th and 1 to send the Jets to the playoffs in 2021? i doubt it.

I

I meant if they could screw a player over this covid thing.. havent really been following 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Bc he’s getting paid millions of dollars to play football for a couple months and could quarantine himself from that and or take amazing Medical precautions with testing and doctors to assure the safety of his family if he so chose to make arrangements to see them during the season. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The Jets gave him an 85 million dollar contract, the least he can do is avoid his 3rd cousins for a couple of months. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Bc he’s getting paid millions of dollars to play football for a couple months and could quarantine himself from that and or take amazing Medical precautions with testing and doctors to assure the safety of his family if he so chose to make arrangements to see them during the season. 

Easy for you to say but maybe CJ doesnt find it that easy.  Maybe he has concerns with the coaches and owners not being quarantined while he is and even if he's taking a principle stand here, cool.  

idk man not my choice - I'd play but I'm not CJ Mosley 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Easy for you to say but maybe CJ doesnt find it that easy.  Maybe he has concerns with the coaches and owners not being quarantined while he is and even if he's taking a principle stand here, cool.  

Easy for me to say, lol, wut. No, easy for CJ Mosley the multimillionaire to say. Sure. He has a right to take advantage of the system. that’s all he’s doing. It’s BS is all.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just a few annoying facts here.

Coaches are subject to IDER rules just like players.  It's all available to see with a little effort.  The NFL and NFLPA agreed to 3 tiers of personnel associated with NFL teams.  Players and all personnel who must come into contact with them are Tier 1 (e.g. trainers).  Personnel who must be in the same restricted areas of the facility but not be within 6 feet of players are Tier 2 (e.g. Equipment Managers).  Personnel who work for the team but don't need to be in restricted areas or near players are Tier 3 (e.g. Marketing).  

I believe each team submitted a plan to the league with its IDER plan and most, if not all have been approved.  Coaches are absolutely included, not sure if teams have leeway on Tier 1 or 2 though.  Everyone in each tier is subject to the same rules and restrictions.  The NFLPA agreed to this.

I do not know if owners need to be on a Tier list but if they are not, then they are not supposed to be in the restricted areas.  If they honor that, then that shouldn't be an issue.  The plans are player-centric and set up to maximize player safety with everyone else fitting into the tiers as required.

I'm not saying it's perfect.  I'm not saying players shouldn't be concerned.  But Mosley's position seems a little disingenuous when you take this into consideration.  Unless there's more to it, which I'd be happy to hear but he's not elaborating.

Just now, HessStation said:

Easy for me to say, lol, wut. No, easy for CJ Mosley the multimillionaire to say. He has a right to take advantage of the system. that’s all he’s doing. 

That's a very selfish and naive perspective but your choice. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Just a few annoying facts here.

Coaches are subject to IDER rules just like players.  It's all available to see with a little effort.  The NFL and NFLPA agreed to 3 tiers of personnel associated with NFL teams.  Players and all personnel who must come into contact with them are Tier 1 (e.g. trainers).  Personnel who must be in the same restricted areas of the facility but not be within 6 feet of players are Tier 2 (e.g. Equipment Managers).  Personnel who work for the team but don't need to be in restricted areas or near players are Tier 3 (e.g. Marketing).  

I believe each team submitted a plan to the league with its IDER plan and most, if not all have been approved.  Coaches are absolutely included, not sure if teams have leeway on Tier 1 or 2 though.  Everyone in each tier is subject to the same rules and restrictions.  The NFLPA agreed to this.

Owners do not need to be on a Tier list but if they are not, then they are not supposed to be in the restricted areas.  If they honor that, then that shouldn't be an issue.  The plans are player-centric and set up to maximize player safety with everyone else fitting into the tiers as required.

I'm not saying it's perfect.  I'm not saying players shouldn't be concerned.  But Mosley's position seems a little disingenuous when you take this into consideration.  Unless there's more to it, which I'd be happy to hear but he's not elaborating.

Cool. Maybe CJ Mosely isnt comfortable with that and frustrated that his opinion wasnt taken into an account, therefore, decided to sit out the season since it was an option available to him because the NFL and the NFLPA realize this isnt going to be perfect and players are going to get infected. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Cool. Maybe CJ Mosely isnt comfortable with that and frustrated that his opinion wasnt taken into an account, therefore, decided to sit out the season since it was an option available to him because the NFL and the NFLPA realize this isnt going to be perfect and players are going to get infected. 

So your defense is that Mosley is sad that no one listened to him therefore, as fans, we should shut up and not have an opinion about it? 

You realize we all know that he has a "right" to opt out. We all get that. It's whether he is a good teammate for opting out  given his situation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

What Nate Solder did was over the top awesome.  I am not saying every player should be held to that standard or anything close to it.  He went beyond what would be reasonable to expect, but I think he put a lot of players' and fans' minds at ease that he gave this thought, had solid reasons, and wished all of them well this year.  This is the absolute gold standard for how a player might choose to approach this situation.

When a star player opts out, it is a nice gesture to say something to the team and fans.  Mosley hasn't done this yet.  Maybe he will but the optics aren't stellar and a little criticism isn't completely unwarranted.  Hell, even Jamal found it in his heart to say something nice to the fans on the way out.  Now there's a low bar for you.

• Upvote 4