The Defense Can Recover

KRL

ILB has a ton of depth and experience in this system bc of last year.  It's the last position on defense I'm worried about. Without Adams and Mosley (who didn't play last year) the Jets still have a stronger overall defense. The Linebacker group is better than last year,  the defensive line is the same and hopefully better if Quinnen can improve, the CB's are better and the safeties are a little worse than they were last year. Overall the defense has so much more depth and experience than a year ago.  Idk why people are freaking out. 

• Upvote 4

It is about damn time the offense does their share to help. The games the defense struggled the most were the games the offense stalled out and let guys like Daniel Jones, Fitz, the red head on Cincy, and the Pitt qb shred our defense.  They’re not even good qbs! Can’t let that happen this year. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Drums said:

It is about damn time the offense does their share to help. The games the defense struggled the most were the games the offense stalled out and let guys like Daniel Jones, Fitz, the red head on Cincy, and the Pitt qb shred our defense.  They’re not even good qbs! Can’t let that happen this year. 

This times a million. Darnold is talented, but he needs to prove something and consistently at some point. Hopefully the oline comes together enough for him to keep developing. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

Love the enthusiasm but 2 all pro players gone. Huge holes 

Really only one huge hole.  Mosley is a loss of the opportunity to improve.  Since he wasn't here last year, Jets can't be worse by his staying home.  It's JA (the player) who will be missed.  Jamal the teammate, not so much.

Going in to this season, it was possible the Jets D would be intimidating.  Win some games outright.  That does seem likely now.  But a repeat of last year isn't all bad.

The retooled OL needs to step up!

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I dont think he's irreplaceable, I am still annoyed though.  He is definitely a difference maker on the field and one of the top MLB in the game, but 2 years off football?  What kind of player is he going to be when he gets back?  thats the issue to me. 

We offset the contract by a year so he has 4 more years after this? and no football for 2 seasons, I dont know.  Just doesnt seem good to me. 

He'll finally be healthy

Just now, addage said:

Really only one huge hole.  Mosley is a loss of the opportunity to improve.  Since he wasn't here last year, Jets can't be worse by his staying home.  It's JA (the player) who will be missed.  Jamal the teammate, not so much.

Going in to this season, it was possible the Jets D would be intimidating.  Win some games outright.  That does seem likely now.  But a repeat of last year isn't all bad.

I don't understand why this is lost on some people. 

14 minutes ago, addage said:

Mosley made 4 big plays in a half of football lol

the corners could force williams into a lot of the stuff he had to run last year to protect them again 

if Zuniga gets consistent pressure that would be great lol

probably looking at bend but don’t break 

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Love the enthusiasm but 2 all pro players gone. Huge holes 

Losing Jamal made me feel that the Jets were going from 8 wins to 8 wins for the year.

Now losing CJ Moseley, it's my feeling the Jets will be going from 8 wins to 7 wins, same as last year.

This is due to what I think will be a major upgrade in the offense this year.

The defense will be good but not great, and the offense should get better than last year. 

If not for the offense, we would be having about 4 wins for the year.  

I thought that the Jets could surprise this year in vying for a playoff spot,  but no longer.

Still, I feel that there is a lot to be excited about for this team in terms of how our offense will be improved.

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

Losing Jamal made me feel that the Jets were going from 8 wins to 8 wins for the year.

Now losing CJ Moseley, it's my feeling the Jets will be going from 8 wins to 7 wins, same as last year.

This is due to what I think will be a major upgrade in the offense this year.

The defense will be good but not great, and the offense should get better than last year. 

If not for the offense, we would be having about 4 wins for the year.  

I thought that the Jets could surprise this year in vying for a playoff spot,  but no longer.

Still, I feel that there is a lot to be excited about for this team in terms of how our offense will be improved.

I agree, I’m really looking forward to seeing becton, Mims and Zuniga. I also think gore could give them 5 key tough runs per game. Sneaky excited to see if Quinnen can make a big jump. 
if I’m not mistaken this is Darnolds first time in his life playing in the same offense for a second year so that is the key to everything. If he makes consistent quick reads and good decisions he has all the talent. 

• Upvote 1

Mosley is a big loss - bigger than Adams in my opinion - but at least ILB is a place where the Jets have ample depth. It's the deepest spot on the roster.

Williamson and Onwuasor should be the starters, with support from Hewitt, Burgess and Cashman. That's still a good group, even without the star power of Mosley.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Larz said:

he makes consistent quick reads and good decisions

this is the part where I get worried...   cos there is like a night and day difference (inconsistency) with him that I can't explain away by sokmething I can overtly see/identify....   and i worry that it's ability to process what he sees in time....

cos i felt that he left chunks out there where the ball got out late...    or so it seemed to me,,,

I think Sabo has this in one of his vids....

5 hours ago, addage said:

Why? We are still significant;y better on defense than last year especially if some of the rookies pan out

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the jets paid Mosely 10 million dollars for 1 half of  football in 2 years

but Adams is too expensive 

by the way this defense went from decent to garbage 

in 2 moves

Adams was just fine under his rookie contract, one that he continues to play under with the Seahawks, and the Mosley deal was a terrible free agent signing. 

Defense will be fine. 

7 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The changes to the defense from last year are, essentially:

1) Add Avery Williamson

2) Swap Adams for McDougald

3) improved CB group

We should be a better defense this year than we were last year. 

The third round should also be pretty involved. 

• Upvote 1