2021 Draft Preview - RBs

maury77

So my preliminary rankings and short scouting reports

1) Travis Etienne - Has to be #1. He is a perfect fit for Gase's outside zone scheme because he is a 1 cut and go back. Not overly big, but breaks a lot of tackles. Decent pass catcher, but from what I saw, he did not run a lot of complex patters in college. Some whispers that he will run in the 4.55 area (which isn't terrible), but he plays a lot faster on film. I don't think he is big enough to be a bell cow, but Gase prefers a RBC anyway. 

2) Journey Brown - Fastest guy on the list and runs with good power for a guy that is 210lbs. Bigger than Etienne, but he doesn't have the same track record of success. Needs to work on his pass blocking and receiving, but don't be surprised if he is #1 by the end of the year. 

3) Master Teague - the bell cow of the group, Teague is the choice is you want more of a lead back that is going to give you 20-30 carries a game. Another 1 cut and go guy without a lot of mileage on him because he was playing behind other talented RBs. 

4) Chuba Hubbard - I'm not as high on him as others are. Tall and lanky, I don't see a lot of power in his game and I don't know how many carries you can give him at the NFL level while keeping him healthy. Also struggled with fumbles. That being said, he has some Arian Foster to his game and is able to be patient while waiting for the home to develop, then he can run past the defense and pick up huge chunk plays. 

5) Zamir White - another year, another stud GA RB. White is another explosive athlete who can gain chunk yards, but he doesn't break as many tackles as I'd like. Didn't see much on film for him for pass blocking or receiving. 

@Lith @sec101row23 @RobR @Paradis @kdels62 @win4ever, what are your takes on this RB class?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, maury77 said:

@Lith @sec101row23 @RobR @Paradis @kdels62 @win4ever, what are your takes on this RB class?

Haven't started looking at prosepcts, so I really don't have much of an opinion on these guys yet.  Even Zamir White, who I have seen more of than the other guys -- he is a one cut physical type runner.  Not very elusive.  From what I recall, I think he was decent in pass pro, not called on to catch passes in our system.  A power back with good speed, but still, he has less than 100 carries in his UGA career.  And he has already hada  couple of knee surgeries, one in HS and one at UGA.  Based on his running style, I need to know he can take the pounding of 20 carries a game as a feature back before I would be willing to take a chance on him.  Highly touted recruit when he came in to Georgia, but still a lot to prove.

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2020 at 10:17 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

This year's RB class has the best set of names of all-time.  Holy hell.

I will only be referring to Chuba Hubbard as Hubba Bubba in all draft threads. 

81mspcsoO3L._SX466_PIbundle-24,TopRight,

It's like the Key & Peele skit is writing itself.

These guys are hilarious. Do NOT post on the “Bigger than Football “ discussion thread. 

Yeah I haven't really looked at them either.  I kinda have prospect blue balls or whatever, in that when you try to scout them yourselves, you tend to fall in love with them, and then bitter when your team passes on them.  

I think that was probably my like prospect hugging lose my virginity moment with Mims because it was like the one time they actually took the guy I loved.  I usually get into it in October, after we find out where we pick, but might just start earlier.  

I'm not sure we pick a RB high to be honest.  I assume we move on from Bell, but with how he's been a leader, I think they might just restructure that contract at this point. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Najee Harris was a guy that I thought was criminally underrated last year. He probably would of went 2nd round last year IMO. Guy can do it all. 

I like Najee, I’ve seen the comparison to Matt Forte and I can see it.

Since we may not be having a CFB season, I’m doing a thread in the WRs next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

I like Najee, I’ve seen the comparison to Matt Forte and I can see it.

Since we may not be having a CFB season, I’m doing a thread in the WRs next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Forte comps make sense in that they are both 6’1” plus and good receivers.   I think Forte was a much smoother natural receiver than Najee is currently, but Najee runs with a little lower pad level than Forte did, who was extremely upright.   I like Najee though, bigger back with a lot of versatility, just not a “threat” to break one every time he touches the ball.  Will depend on what you are looking for.   

• Sympathy 1

On 8/22/2020 at 9:03 AM, sec101row23 said:

The Forte comps make sense in that they are both 6’1” plus and good receivers.   I think Forte was a much smoother natural receiver than Najee is currently, but Najee runs with a little lower pad level than Forte did, who was extremely upright.   I like Najee though, bigger back with a lot of versatility, just not a “threat” to break one every time he touches the ball.  Will depend on what you are looking for.   

Reading the thread and someone said Etienne is going to run 4.5+. Isn’t he the fastest guy on Clemson or something? I thought I heard that mentioned during the playoff games.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Reading the thread and someone said Etienne is going to run 4.5+. Isn’t he the fastest guy on Clemson or something? I thought I heard that mentioned during the playoff games.

I’m not sure where the 4.5 stuff is coming from.  Travis ran a 4.38 just this past April.  He’ll probably run anywhere between a 4.37 and 4.42 come combine time.  

• Upvote 3