2009 AFCCG - Did you think we were going to the Superbowl?

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Drove down to Indy for that one.  DIdn't expect us to win, as Indy was the better team.  I started to get hopeful as we took the 17-6 lead in Q2.  Until Peyton led the 2 minute drive to cut our lead to 4.  He went through our D so easily that I knew we were in trouble heading in to the 2nd half.  Then Shonn Greene went down on the opening drive in the 3rd quarter and we never were able to establish our ground and pound the rest of the way.

The loss the next year in Pitt was much more disappointing.  Really thought we had the better team heading into that one.

Ill never ever get over that absolute JAG Rashard Mendenhall just running through our defense. Everything else about that game I have made peace with, but that will haunt me forever.

• Upvote 3

i remember thinking if we stop em before half ...   keep at least 2 FG lead , i think we're slight above 50% to finish...but that TD?

went down to like 25%...

Greene got like 6 or 8 on his 1st run, then another 6 or 8 and I was like, maybe we CAN pull this off...  but then he came up hurt...

and i didnt believe

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Yes I did. I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a single play as a jets fan 

Same ...Incredible exhilarating moment to this day....also a brilliant illustration of just how talented Braylon was...the way he duped the DB into biting on the fake and then was gone....built like an ox and runs like a deer....what an athlete and for a glorious couple of years an absolute joy to watch

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Was fairly confident before we went into Pittsburgh in 2010.  That one just felt right.  The team was stacked with talent, Rex was at the top of his game, we had just beaten both Indy and NE on the road (name one other team in history that beat BOTH Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road in consecutive playoff games).  It really felt like the Jets had some magic that year.  The three best AFC teams of the 2000's were NE, Pitt and Indy....and the Jets were about to knock off all 3 of them.  Oh well.

I totally thought Fate was on our side in 2010.  In addition to all of the reasons you stated, there were also the inspirational stories of Dennis Byrd coming back to speak with the team, and Mark Sanchez's befriending of the young kid with cancer (who sadly passed away later).  I had visions of Mark Sanchez calling his shot like Babe Ruth did.  Sadly, it turned into another Jets heartbreak.

• Upvote 1

I was at the game and thought it was happening.  

Peyton scored late in the first half but I’m thinking that Rex Ryan is a defensive genius and he would surely have amazing adjustments to clamp down and send us to the Super Bowl. 

Yeah, right.  

SAR I

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

2010 was the one that really hurt; I had Superbowl tickets that year (courtesy of a family member who got comped by ESPN)

Agreed. We weren't the better team in 2009, we sure as hell were in 2010. That 2010 team was so mentally tough, from the comebacks during the regular season, to beating the Colts and Pats on the road leading up to the Steelers. How they came out that flat still baffles me. All that said, we get that last stop on 3rd down, the way Sanchez and the O were playing, we would have won. No doubt in my mind.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, Lith said:

Drove down to Indy for that one.  DIdn't expect us to win, as Indy was the better team.  I started to get hopeful as we took the 17-6 lead in Q2.  Until Peyton led the 2 minute drive to cut our lead to 4.  He went through our D so easily that I knew we were in trouble heading in to the 2nd half.  Then Shonn Greene went down on the opening drive in the 3rd quarter and we never were able to establish our ground and pound the rest of the way.

This pretty much sums it up. I got excited but never really believed we had it. The TD at the end of the 2nd half was a killer and it was clear as soon as Greene went down that we weren't winning on Jones' legs.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:53 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I really miss the excitement those teams brought, even if they couldn't finish the deal.

I thought they had a good chance to win until they ran out of defensive backs.  The Colts simply had more pass catchers to put into the patterns than the Jets had db's to cover them.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SAR I said:

I was at the game and thought it was happening.  

Peyton scored late in the first half but I’m thinking that Rex Ryan is a defensive genius and he would surely have amazing adjustments to clamp down and send us to the Super Bowl. 

Yeah, right.  

SAR I

Considering Mark Sanchez led the offense to zero points in the second half I'm not sure there's any defense on the planet that could have prevented that Colts offense from scoring again.

• Upvote 1

Just now, THE BARON said:

I thought they had a good chance to win until they ran out of defensive backs.  The Colts simply had more pass catchers to put into the patterns than the Jets had db's to cover them.  

Yea I agree that's what killed us. I didn't think we had much of a chance going into this game but when this play happened I thought it was happening.

I never truly felt like we were going to win the Indy game. In truth, I was just happy they even made it to the AFC title game.

Pittsburgh, was a tougher one to swallow, as I thought we were at least on par if not better than the steelers, but I was always worried about it being a let down game after stomping the Pats.

I don't think we would've beaten the Packers anyway, but obviously would've loved to see it as anything can happen in one game

I won several hundred dollars on that play. I was in Vegas and right before the game, my friend said something like "wow you can bet on first person to score a touchdown" to which I replied that I though play action to Braylon was going to be the first score.  So I put $50 on it.

That made me super excited but when Rex played soft zone at the end of the first half and Peyton march down the field all I felt was dread.

• Upvote 1

When the Colts scored late in the 2nd half, I knew if was over. 

'98 I did not like the Jets having to go to Denver or the possibility of having to play that Viking team.  Of course Minny choked, so I was half right.

I was at the NE game in Jan 2011.  I thought we not only going to the SB, but were going to win.  The whole team was hungover from celebrating all week, finally woke up, then Rex's D couldn't get that one stop.  It's a shame because that was such a colorful team and would have recognized as one of the more "special" NY Championship teams ala '68 Jets, '27 Yankees, '94 Rangers, '86 Mets, '86 Giants.

Nah.....in 09 I thought we were an up and coming team with the leagues best defense and a young QB of the future.....

In 10 against Pitt I thought we would win.....esp after the way we beat NE in Cheatsboro the week before......even when we were down big going into the 2nd half I had faith that we could come back....we'll never know what would have happened if the D gets one more stop and gives Sanchez and the O the ball back

That loss still hurts bad seeing as that's the last playoff game we've played since

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2020 at 2:09 PM, jetstream23 said:

I wasn't confident in 2009.  Was MUCH more confident in 1998, especially with a 10-3 lead vs. Denver in the 3rd Quarter.

Was fairly confident before we went into Pittsburgh in 2010.  That one just felt right.  The team was stacked with talent, Rex was at the top of his game, we had just beaten both Indy and NE on the road (name one other team in history that beat BOTH Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road in consecutive playoff games).  It really felt like the Jets had some magic that year.  The three best AFC teams of the 2000's were NE, Pitt and Indy....and the Jets were about to knock off all 3 of them.  Oh well.

The key to all of 1998, 2009 and 2010 IMO.....the Jets were on the road for every one of those AFCCGs.

The 2012 Ravens beat Manning in the divisional and Brady in the AFC Title. It happened twice in three years which is nuts. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/2/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ruby2 said:

Ill never ever get over that absolute JAG Rashard Mendenhall just running through our defense. Everything else about that game I have made peace with, but that will haunt me forever.

That JAG had over 1100 yards in 2009 and 1200 yards in 2010 with a lot of TDs.

Dont remember if he was injured after that, he falls off pretty quickly

As others said, I felt like there was a much better chance in 2010 than 2009.  09 may have had the better defense, but the offense was a complete mess, 100% fully dependent on the running game and by that point, exclusively one single player in Greene.  They needed a lot of luck on their side to even make the playoffs, including tiebreakers, a year where 9-wins was enough, and only having gotten to 9 wins because of the Colts sending Manning to the bench in their regular season game.  That last one was all the more reason not to have confidence in the 09 AFC Championship, considering everyone saw their regular season win happen for only one reason.  There was of course reason to be happy with that playoff run, but hardly any expectation to make it to the Super Bowl.

In 2010, it was definitely far more heartbreaking, although the nonsensical concept some are spouting around here about "one more drive" is fan fiction drivel.  The offense scored 17 points for the Jets and 7 for the Steelers over the course of the entire game, and the drive before last ate up half of the 4th quarter and came away with 0 points.  Both sides of the ball needed to step up their game more than they did that night, but the offense was a complete albatross.