2009 AFCCG - Did you think we were going to the Superbowl?

emotional time for me, my dad loved the jets. 
he was at stonybrook after a heart op that he eventually never recovered from.
we watched the whole 09 playoff run from his room that month.
my mom and i were in the lobby to go see him and i passed a tv monitor as sanchez hits edwards.
i really thought it could happen.

36 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Did you go anyway or sell them? 

I was going until the Jets fell short

Theres a lottery for season ticket holders held when the team reaches a point where the SB is a possibility.  The NFL gives out a limited number to each team and the Jets used a lottery weighted by number of seats in the account and the years you've had them.  

I guess I'd have to say no? 

Starting at when the Jets were at 7-7, that week Rex lit a fire under the players a$$es. Whether you want to chalk it up to our opponents having nothing to play for or not, that's your business,  regardless the Jets started playing inspired football. Lets be honest...the Jets annihilated the Bengals in the season finale. I KNEW then that the Jets would beat the Bengals the following week. There was no doubt in my mind and there shouldn't have been any in your mind. That's when I noticed our OL had morphed into a super unit. As a unit, they were having out of body experiences, like they were watching themselves from above. They were collectively entering "the zone" on a game by game basis. 

Now, beating the Chargers on their field in the divisional round? That came as an enormous and pleasant surprise. I was over the moon about that one. 

Of course the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP I thought the Jets would lose and eventually they did. I thought the Jets had a legitimate chance at beating the Colts and for a while it looked like they were going to pull off another miraculous upset.

It was a fun time to be a Jet fan. It looked as though the football gods had aligned finally for the Jets. They were breaking long held beliefs and norms about the hierarchy of football. Not just AFC East watching fans, but the entire football watching world HATED seeing us win. They hated Rex Ryan's brash behavior. They really hated the term "Sanchize". I actually did also.  I thought the term was ludicrous and silly the very second I heard it. I always believed the Jets were winning in spite of Sanchez and certainly not because of him.

It was a nice, albeit short, run at a surprising title. However, that season also left me with an overwhelming thought of optimism moving forward. I was pretty confident the Jets would compete for a title in 2010. I was left feeling like my team had to be considered one of the best moving forward. 

I look back on that with the fondest of memories.....

• Upvote 1

I never felt confident they were gonna win any of these playoff games the last 20 years. Maybe the Jets/Cincy Wild card game in 2010 I was confident we’d beat them cause I thought we honestly had the better team. Other than that, we were underdogs in every playoff game! 

I wasn't confident in 2009.  Was MUCH more confident in 1998, especially with a 10-3 lead vs. Denver in the 3rd Quarter.
Was fairly confident before we went into Pittsburgh in 2010.  That one just felt right.  The team was stacked with talent, Rex was at the top of his game, we had just beaten both Indy and NE on the road (name one other team in history that beat BOTH Peyton Manning and Tom Brady on the road in consecutive playoff games).  It really felt like the Jets had some magic that year.  The three best AFC teams of the 2000's were NE, Pitt and Indy....and the Jets were about to knock off all 3 of them.  Oh well.
The key to all of 1998, 2009 and 2010 IMO.....the Jets were on the road for every one of those AFCCGs.

I had zero confidence against PIT. Every game prior Rex was blowing his load about how personal the game was, but not before PIT. He used up all the emotion cards he had prior and we came out flat. Even Tomlin’s postgame locker speech to his team he said “I guess this one wasn’t personal for them”.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app