Brian Winters Cut

1 minute ago, derp said:

Timing seems kind of strange but I don’t think he was worth the money.

I think Coops nailed it.  The cap savings may be used to bring in another player.  $7.5MM for Mosley and now $7MM for Winters.  Interesting.

• Sympathy 1

Curious as to the timing.  Why now?    Haven't put the pads on yet.   Maybe afraid he would get hurt or opt out and they would be stuck for the money or contract would roll over to next year.   Either way, seems like cutting him loose sooner would have given him a better chance to land elsewhere.  Didn't think there was ever a chance he was making team at his salary.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think Coops nailed it.  The cap savings may be used to bring in another player.  $7.5MM for Mosley and now $7MM for Winters.  Interesting.

That does make the most sense. I’d be (pleasantly) surprised but that would be cool.

Man I’ve been refreshing Twitter all damn day waiting for us to make a move (trade, Clowney/Ryan) and this is what I get ??. In all seriousness though this was an obvious move but the timing is odd, hopefully this means we’re using some cap space to upgrade a diff position 

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious what the market for him is. If twitter comments are to believed a lot of o-line desperate fanbases want him. 

Possibly At the veteran minimum he's attractive to teams, not at the $7 mil we were on the hook for 

• Upvote 1

My read is GVR was the presumed starting RG with Winters being a $7MM backup.  I would certainly be fine with them bringing him back at a lower salary, but I'm guessing that would have been discussed if they wanted him still and he clearly wasn't on board with it.  It will be interesting to see if another team jumps in at anything close to that number.  

Meanwhile, this puts us in the top-3 in the league in cap space this year.  Around $30MM.  Not saying we should burn it but we can definitely afford to bring in another one-year player if we want.

I'd venture to say Cameron Clark just moved up in the depth chart.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Curious as to the timing.  Why now?    Haven't put the pads on yet.   Maybe afraid he would get hurt or opt out and they would be stuck for the money or contract would roll over to next year.   Either way, seems like cutting him loose sooner would have given him a better chance to land elsewhere.  Didn't think there was ever a chance he was making team at his salary.  

Maybe they needed to firmly establish that he was healthy after last year's injury, so they didn't need to reach a settlement with him - and they couldn't do that until he took an in-person physical and got on the practice field.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

News is not a surprise... timing certainly is as I'm pretty sure all of us expected this months ago. 

Have to say, based on the timing (ie not cutting him after FA/draft - and not cutting him during camp if he was struggling) its hard to think there isn't another move coming...

Griffen at Edge rusher?.

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Wondering if the why now was right after Mosley opted out and they figure between the two we can bring in someone nobody thought we would?