Brian Winters Cut

I'll be honest, I don't think this was a good move YET. There was no time crunch to when we needed to cut Winters. I'd have preferred we held onto him until we know which players are opting out or who gets hurt. This move is 100% a good guy move by Douglas so that Winters can catch on with a team heading into camp.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I think Coops nailed it.  The cap savings may be used to bring in another player.  $7.5MM for Mosley and now $7MM for Winters.  Interesting.

The counterpoint is we didn't need to cut anyone to bring in another player because we are so far under the cap already.

• Upvote 2

Should the Jets trade for JuJu Smith-Schuster, that would help Darnold and the offense tremendously. While there are concerns about him as a No. 1 receiver, the presence of the guys already in place should be enough to take pressure off of the current Steeler. As such, he can come into the Big Apple and be a star akin to what he showed in the 2018 season.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Not enough

Then what is enough? We're now closing in on $30 mil of cap space. Unless we bring him back at a lower salary I don't get the timing of this move because lets face it.....players are going to be lost to covid this year and he's an experienced Olineman.  

Just now, RobR said:

Then what is enough? We're now closing in on $30 mil of cap space. Unless we bring him back at a lower salary I don't get the timing of this move because lets face it.....players are going to be lost to covid this year and he's an experienced Olineman.  

I dunno but we are not there yet. Need more. 

Just now, RobR said:

It's just this that makes me wonder.  Joe Douglas hasn't shown himself to do dumb things yet.  And if he cut Winters without any corresponding move, when we had more than enough cap to carry him, it would feel...well...dumb.  

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Depending on how the season plays out this year in terms of revenues, every team might see their cap go down - by a significant amount. Teams close or over what originally projected cap might have to make big cuts. I thin JD is looking ahead so he'll have flexibility next year, and protect himself against having to cut any core players then - and be in a position to sign a good player cut by a team with no space under a reduced salary ceiling. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RobR said:

We’re at over $35 million when you apply this and Mosley’s cap savings. There has to be a corresponding move or else we’re hoarding money at the expense of respectability. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Should the Jets trade for JuJu Smith-Schuster, that would help Darnold and the offense tremendously. While there are concerns about him as a No. 1 receiver, the presence of the guys already in place should be enough to take pressure off of the current Steeler. As such, he can come into the Big Apple and be a star akin to what he showed in the 2018 season.

You dupe. They’re dumping liabilities for when the season is canceled

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

We’re at over $35 million when you apply this and Mosley’s cap savings. There has to be a corresponding move or else we’re hoarding money at the expense of respectability. 

Maybe because there is a pandemic and revenue will be down? Mosley and winters were non factors last year.

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

Depending on how the season plays out this year in terms of revenues, every team might see their cap go down - by a significant amount. Teams close or over what originally projected cap might have to make big cuts. I thin JD is looking ahead so he'll have flexibility next year, and protect himself against having to cut any core players then - and be in a position to sign a good player cut by a team with no space under a reduced salary ceiling. 

I'm trying to figure out who the core players we would need to protect against a reduced cap are.  Sadly, not many names come to mind.

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's just this that makes me wonder.  Joe Douglas hasn't shown himself to do dumb things yet.  And if he cut Winters without any corresponding move, when we had more than enough cap to carry him, it would feel...well...dumb.  

All I can think of is Douglas is trying to roll cap money into next year, but even with that logic he could have waited another month +. Maybe he did Winters a solid and gave him the opportunity to latch onto another team at this time instead of making him a final cut.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, RobR said:

All I can think of is Douglas is trying to roll cap money into next year, but even with that logic he could have waited another month +. Maybe he did Winters a solid and gave him the opportunity to latch onto another team at this time instead of making him a final cut.

But that would throw a wrench into Manish's whiny narrative so that can't be true.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I get that but they've already stated that the cap will not go lower than a set amount no matter what happens this year. I don't recall the exact number offhand but the NFL and the union already agreed to it.

You can’t just punt this cap space to next year this is a huge year for Sam swing a trade for a WR or upgrade the edge with the extra cap space and capital. We can’t rely on rookies to come in here and make instant impacts with a limited offseason and no preseason games! There’s gotta be another move here!!