Brian Winters Cut

16 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Darnold, Foley and Sheppard

We don't know if Darnold is the goods yet (and we were extremely lucky he fell to us), and lol at Nathan Shepherd.  That was an awful, awful pick.  We take a franchise QB and our very next pick is not a WR or OL, its......a project DT that was already what, 26 when we took him?  lol.

• Upvote 1

We don't know if Darnold is the goods yet (and we were extremely lucky he fell to us), and lol at Nathan Shepherd.  That was an awful, awful pick.  We take a franchise QB and our very next pick is not a WR or OL, its......a project DT that was already what, 26 when we took him?  lol.

Lol winters, he sucks balls. Balls...suck. The Sheppard pick doesn’t make sense, but he actually played well last year. Mac was an awful GM but he drafted a young QB that our current GM wants to work with. So there is that and Sheldon is A DT that the Jets didn’t need. It was a loser pick. Lol, that’s the same draft as the one where we drafted the incomparable Dee Milner.
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Lol winters, he sucks balls. Balls...suck. The Sheppard pick doesn’t make sense, but he actually played well last year. Mac was an awful GM but he drafted a young QB that our current GM wants to work with. So there is that and Sheldon is A DT that the Jets didn’t need. It was a loser pick. Lol, that’s the same draft as the one where we drafted the incomparable Dee Milner.

At least Idzik drafted Offensive Linemen, unlike Macc.  Brian Winters was a 7-year starter.  Macc didn't even draft OL outside of the 5th round until his final draft here.

Nathan Shepherd has 5 starts in 2 seasons and has recorded 2.0 sacks and 6 TFLs.

Idzik >>>>> Macc

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

You need to “man-up” bro. You have MaCagnan on the brain.... giving out feel good contracts to Enunwa and that guy who came over from the Raiders, played 1 game and never came back from a questionable injury. You’re not a “hard-ass” you’re a pussy. 

He’s running out trial balloons, not sure who to make the villain with Adams gone 

its a process lol

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, SR24 said:

We’ve definitely got a good chance in free agency but free agency is also a crapshoot. We went from Conklin to Thuney to Scherff to none of the above if you can upgrade your team with a proven stud it’s worth the capital and space imo. Especially when you think about relying  on Perriman Mims and Vincent Smith to be your starting outside WRs. I like Mims and think he has a ton of potential but no preseason/limited camp in a new system is not a recipe for immediate success. Perriman showed flashes of what he’s capable of last year but his career for the most part has been underwhelming. 

Yea I wouldn't really be upset, I think it would be a good long term move. We may just end up trading away an asset for what may ultimately be 5 games. Just a lot of uncertainty for this season. Juju or Robinson are probably the only guys I'd make an exception for.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The time crunch was established by the risk of him opting out, pushing back the time when we can cut him loose another year.

We can fairly easily bring him back.  If someone else wants him that badly?  Have at it, I guess?  He's 29 and has missed 10 games over the last 3 seasons.

I mean it would delay his cut by a year and we'd have to pay him $150k but as soon as the new league year hits you'd be able to cut him. For the $150k savings I think I'd have gambled on him not opting out and giving us some security/depth until just before week 1.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sheldon Richardson + Brian Winters >>>>> any Macc draft class

I thing Darnold, Herndon, Fatukasi, Shepherd will be better than Sheldon and Winters.

Time will tell.

Brian Winters

According to Adam Schefter and several other reporters the Jets are going to release long time guard Brian Winters. The move had been speculated due to Winters salary, but he was expected to compete for a starting job.’

Winters, who is 29 years old, was the longest tenured Jet. He was drafted in the 3rd round of the 2013 NFL Draft and played in 89 games, starting 79 for the team.

A surprise release: Jets are cutting last season’s starting right guard Brian Winters, per source.

As a starting guard, Winters is not expected to be without a job very long.

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) August 2, 2020

Jets clear $7.28 million off 2020 cap by cutting Brian Winters, who had $7M non-guaranteed base salary (+up to $500K in per-game roster bonuses) in final year of contract.

Winters, who was rehabbing from shoulder surgery, was the longest tenured Jet (7 seasons… 79 starts)

— Manish Mehta (@MMehtaNYDN) August 2, 2020

Winters was the longest-tenured Jets player and one of the last holdovers from the Rex Ryan era. Quincy Enunwa is the 1 one left now and he is out for the season. Jordan Jenkins and Steve McLendon, who both got here in 2016, are longest-tenured on active roster. #nyj

— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) August 2, 2020

Former GM John Idzik selected Winters and he was one of the last players on the Jets who was a holdover from the Rex Ryan era. Only Quincy Enunwa remains on the team from the Idzik/Ryan days and he has been ruled out for the season. Of the players on the active roster, linebacker Jordan Jenkins and defensive tackle Steve McLendon, who both joined the Jets in 2016, are now the longest-tenured players.

The Jets signed Winters to a four-year, $29 million contract in January 2017. The deal had no more guaranteed money on it, so the Jets will not carry a dead money charge this season for Winters.

You can read more about Brian Winters in our forums.

The post Jets To Cut Brian Winters appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
9yt6J1NcfWY

Click here to read the full story...

I love how the media put this move as headline. 
Brian Winters was once AVERAGE & the last 3 years? BELOW AVERAGE! 
The only reason this guy got a new contract was because WE DIDNT HAVE ANYONE ELSE! 
The Jets have been the worst drafting NFL team for YEARS! 
Jamal was a very good player but a safety at #6 when you need a QB? Watson should have been the choice although there were Jet fans here pining for Mahomes. 
That would have saved us from trading away a bunch of picks for Darnold. 
Cutting Winters is a blip on the NFL screen. And he’ll sign to another team, fans will read about his toughness & grit and in the 3rd game he’ll shred his shoulder again. 

11 hours ago, SR24 said:

We’ve definitely got a good chance in free agency but free agency is also a crapshoot. We went from Conklin to Thuney to Scherff to none of the above if you can upgrade your team with a proven stud it’s worth the capital and space imo. Especially when you think about relying  on Perriman Mims and Vincent Smith to be your starting outside WRs. I like Mims and think he has a ton of potential but no preseason/limited camp in a new system is not a recipe for immediate success. Perriman showed flashes of what he’s capable of last year but his career for the most part has been underwhelming. 

Looking at JD's free agency moves I see a common theme that was something that Mac clearly didnt value which is why he missed so often - JD signed guys who need to keep playing well in order to make money whereas Mac signed guys like Trumaine who the second they put their name to paper, had no motivation whatsoever to keep playing hard.

Its difficult to debate who gives 110% and who doesnt and Im not a huge fan of trying to judge the character of players who we have never met, but its a fact that football is a very hard and physical game that takes a ton of motivation to play at a high level.  Sure there are guys who love the game and go all out regardless of contract, but there are also guys who do this for the money and when their team is 2-5 and they have $35+ million guaranteed, they stop doing the little things that matter. 

Give me as many motivated Greg Van Roten's on this team over completely unmotivated Trumaine Johnson/ Mo Wilkerson's regardless of talent.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, choon328 said:

I remember arguing that you shouldn't pay a backup $7.5 million and people around arguing with me.  He was never going to be on the roster to start the season.  They obviously weren't able to trade him and they cut bait.

Agree fully.  7.5 million for a back-up with injury issues & poor performance the past two years ??? No way.

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

The venom being spewed at a guy that was nothing but a pro for us

is very disheartening.

This forum has showed it's ugly side a bit much as of late.

Should he have been cut .. yeah for performance reasons ... But the guy gave us valiant effort playing injured. Saying sh*t like "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Is pure venom and imho a bannable utterance.

I mean w t f has this world come to???

Good Luck in whatever comes your way next Brian.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

During the Dolphins game, a miscommunication between the offensive line and quarterback Sam Darnold resulted in an errant shotgun snap that flew past the quarterback. The play resulted in a safety for Miami.

After the play, offensive lineman Brian Winters was shown repeatedly chewing out Darnold. The stress of playing for an awful and poorly coached football team must have finally pushed Winters to a breaking point, as he somehow thought it was appropriate to publicly yell at his quarterback.

The hypocrisy of Winters’ antics is beyond shocking. The Jets offensive line this year has arguably been one of the worst in NFL history.

https://thejetpress.com/2020/06/22/summer-must-haves-new-york-jets-fan/

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

is very disheartening.

Should he have been cut .. yeah for performance reasons ... But the guy gave us valiant effort playing injured. Saying sh*t like "don't let the door hit you on the way out." Is pure venom and imho a bannable utterance.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Love this post. To your point, some on this site idolize a guy like John Abraham, who asked out of playoff games . Winters played through things that would have put most guys on IR, and he’s a bad guy. I’d wager a small fortune that there is nothing but respect in our locker room for the leadership, toughness and professionalism that Winters showed. Contrast that for the silence of the team when the douche bag got traded last week. This team will miss him. Be healthy, Brian, and from a 42 year ticket holder, thank you.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Glad you're starting to see the light.

This is a dismantle job by JD, nothing more.  Ridding the team of all things Mac and hopefully next year we will begin to, hopefully, learn if JD is capable of building a winner. 

Thanks for leading the way, I was lost but now I'm found, was blind but now I see.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

is very disheartening.

As usual, the vitriol is getting directed at the wrong person.  Blame Macc for giving him the contract he got.  Not Brian Winters for signing it.  

Winters was a fairly solid 3rd round pick who was the longest-tenured Jet before he got cut.  The fact that he was longest-tenured also spoke to how bad the roster was thanks to Macc.  

Sadly we can't fire Macc twice.  I'd like to fire him every day and jettison him into the Sun.  

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Leaving Gallup and Orlando Brown on the board. Yeah, that pick is unfathomably bad, and I say that as a fan of Shepherd; he's going to be a good rotational DL for this team.

You don't take "good rotational DL" when you are starting Anderson (in year 2) and Enunwa at WR and Beachum and Shell at OT and just took what you hope is your franchise QB. You just don't.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Leaving Gallup and Orlando Brown on the board. Yeah, that pick is unfathomably bad, and I say that as a fan of Shepherd; he's going to be a good rotational DL for this team.

You don't take "good rotational DL" when you are starting Anderson (in year 2) and Enunwa at WR and Beachum and Shell at OT and just took what you hope is your franchise QB. You just don't.

And especially not when we had just used a # 6 overall pick on a DT three years prior. 

The amount of draft capital sunk into a relatively unimportant position (non-pass rushing DL) was astounding.  Like Macc was purposely sabotaging the franchise.

6 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

You do if you are Macc. Did it the very next year, right up until they finally got his hat and coat and showed him the door.

• Upvote 1

My only issue with cutting Winters is the fact that it took this long.  We brought him into camp and made him move here.   We all wondered whether we would pay him 2x what GVR is getting paid.

He must have looked really bad moving around in shorts.  

• Upvote 1

Brian Winters
GUARDAge:29 Exp: 7 Years 
Drafted:
YEAR TEAM AWARDS TOTAL CASH
2013 Player Cash Earnings   $1,048,876
2014 Player Cash Earnings   $529,000
2015 Player Cash Earnings   $822,226
2016 Player Cash Earnings   $1,671,000
2017 Player Cash Earnings   $8,000,000
2018 Player Cash Earnings   $7,000,000
2019 Player Cash Earnings   $6,281,250