Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Jets projected ceiling/floor - NFL.com

Video (3 minutes long) in link.  

They have our floor at 4-12, ceiling at 8-8, predicted record 6-10. 

The catalyst toward hitting our ceiling, to them, would be a bounceback year out of Bell and another strong performance in the Pass D department (which they accurately note was "sneaky good" last year - 12th in opp. QB rating).  

Sounds about right.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/jets-season-preview-projecting-floor-ceiling-for-2020-record

Jets season preview: Projecting floor, ceiling for 2020 record

Get a fast paced look at the Jets off-season moves and see what they might mean in terms of wins and losses in 2020.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

That's overrated. There was a graphic that there is little correlation to tougher schedules actually being tougher by the end of the year. 

There's certainly correlation when it comes to travel, as UntouchableCrew points out:

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

For me it's less about the quality of opponents are more about the travel. We had a ridiculously low amount of travel last year -- I'm not sure we ever left the eastern time zone -- and we have three west coast games this year. It just doesn't bode well.

West coast trips don't pan out well for the Jets (or anyone), historically.  

Meanwhile, while we don't know how tough the schedule will be in 2020 with certainty, we DO know the Jets had the easiest schedule in the NFL last season, statistically.  So those who continue to press the point that going 7-9 was impressive last season need to factor the low schedule strength into the equation when evaluating how good the team was last year and when projecting future performance.

We faced Dwayne Haskins, Daniel Jones, Pittsburgh's 3rd-string QB and Buffalo's 2nd string offense last season.  That was 25 % of the schedule right there.  PLUS Dallas was heavily injured the week we faced them.  Do you expect the schedule to get any easier than that?  Mahomes, Wilson, Murray, Lock, Goff, Rivers....there's a lot of tough QB's on the schedule in '20.  We face not 1 but both Super Bowl participants from last season.

Those who think this is a playoff team are going to be sorely disappointed.  This is still a bottom 5 roster, and our top 3 draft picks from the 2020 class (Becton, Mims, Davis) all play positions that will require time to develop.

2021 will be the Jets' time.  Not 2020.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It is NOT a bottom 5 roster but believe whatever you wan

Find 5+ teams with weaker rosters, please.  I will then demonstrate how you are wrong.

We just had to replace the entire Offensive Line.  All 5 starting spots.  That's almost unheard of.

55 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Name 5 rosters worse. Matter of fact, name 1 player on the Jet roster who is in the 90th percentile at their position

Yep.  We can't even name who our best player is.  Nearly every other franchise has 1-2 names you can throw out there with ease.  

4 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I'm expecting 4-6 wins.

With another horrendous offense and hope that's enough for gase to be fired.

If the offense is horrendous, I think Douglas would be more inclined, or at least equally inclined, to try to move on from Darnold than Gase.  He didn't draft Darnold, after all.

No one should be hoping for that.

• Upvote 1

And this is why you will never see how strong the Jets roster is. You think in terms of "stars" when in reality football is one by having depth. The Jets are pretty deep now. Plus we are Top 3 in special teams which really overcomes a lot of issues. People REALLY understimate the effect of special teams on games. You continue believing that stars make rosters and watch how we outperform expectations this year and become dominant in the next 2 years.

You only think it’s deep because the Jets have players with names and those are names you know and think are good.

Just about every team out there has depth that everyone else doesn’t know about. Depth is nice but you need top-end talent more. You need EDGE Rushers, CBs, a great starting OL and a solid WR or 2 to support a high end QB. We basically have none of that. I expect Becton and Mims to work out, but that will take time.

So, once again I’ll ask, name me 5 rosters that are worse than ours.

2 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

7-9 last year with the replacement squad.

* Against the league's easiest schedule, with minimal travel.

10 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Darnold's growth as our quarterback and leader will make the schedule easier this year. I am drinking 100 proof kool-aid though. 

That's some interesting mental gymnastics there, lol.

Sam could absolutely ball out next year.  Won't make the schedule easier.  He could put up 38 points against KC and still lose the game, for instance.

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

herm GIF

Hello! I'll just keep this name.

It would be a much, much more effective slogan/quote if it wasn't Mr. "play not to lose", Herm Edwards, who said it.  Sad.

18 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

I think you need a foundation before a ceiling and a floor.

We've got one now!

Screen-Shot-2020-06-18-at-11.13.08-AM-12

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company