Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

Revisiting the 2018 Jets draft class

But Mac did pick Darnold, plus his lack of success can be tied to the  talent that the Jets have acquired over the past 7 plus season and a propensity to focus on defense. Mac is an awful GM, but this draft class isn't bad.

not every team makes superior picks beyond the first round.  plenty of hits and misses to go around.  but some teams are much better at developing players.  most of these players don't come into the league with all pro talent.  it needs to be brought out with good coaching and putting players in the right positions.  i'm sure this is more than a little capt obvious and most coaches will say the same thing.  but some just can't get the most out of their players.

as it's looking right now, the jets did pretty well in this 2018 draft.  darnold can't win games on his own and he shouldn't be expected to.  but he is head and shoulders above any qb the jets have for nearly 2 decades.  as for the other players, maybe mac drafts were too dline centric but shepard and foley seem to be keepers.  herndon?  we'll see.  he had a good rookie season but then comes in out of shape.  if he gets his head together he can be very good.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

About 10 days ago, following the trade of Jamal Adams, the book was mostly closed on the 2017 draft class.  The only remaining player from the '17 class still on the team is Marcus Maye.  The rest of the 9-player class (ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, Jordan Leggett, Dylan Donahue, Elijah McGuire, Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones) haven't played in the NFL since 2018.  

With RB Trenton Cannon's release today, in a similar fashion, we can take a look back at the 2018 class:

Pick 1.3:  QB Sam Darnold, USC

The jury is still out on the Jets' franchise QB.  Statistically he's been a bottom 5 starting QB since entering the league.  But his potential is still undoubtedly high entering Year 3, and probably ranks him as one of the top 15 most valuable QB's in the league at the moment, and he should be capable of putting up a top 20 QB season in 2020.  Regardless, before giving Maccagnan any credit for the Darnold pick, let's not forget that Mike Maccagnan's first choice that offseason was offering Kirk Cousins more money than any team in the league.  His 2nd choice was, after a trade engineered by Brian Heimerdinger, to take whichever QB fell to 3 in what was, at the time, considered a 2-QB draft.  That could have easily been Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen.  Maccagnan deserves little credit for Sam Darnold, even if he ends up earning a 2nd contract with the Jets.

Pick 3.72:  DT Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays St.

So the Jets finally had their young franchise QB.  What does Maccagnan do with his very next pick?  Take a WR or Offensive Lineman, right?  Of course not.  Time for a 25-year old project DT!  Genius!  Through 25 games (5 starts), Shepherd has been a decent rotational piece and little more, totaling 2.0 Sacks, 6 TFLs and 11 QB Hits over his 2 seasons.  Yawn.

Pick 4.107:  TE Chris Herndon, Miami

1 season into his career, Herndon had the makings to be Maccagnan's best pick in his Jets' tenure.  Finally a mid-round offensive skill player with potential!  After starting the regular season listed 4th on the depth chart at TE, in 16 games (12 starts), Herndon caught 39 passes on 56 targets for 502 yards and 4 TDs, making several athletic plays in the process.  This was not an earth-shattering performance, statistically, but with TE's usually taking time to develop, the early signs were encouraging, and surely Year 2 would demonstrate Herndon is a star in the making.  But of course, things are never that simple for the Jets, as he was suspended the first 4 games of 2019 for substance abuse, and then suffered a season-ending hamstring injury almost immediately after his return to the team.  He finished '19 with just 1 catch on 2 targets for 7 yards.  His future could still be very bright, but is very much in the air entering 2020.

Pick 6.179:  CB Parry Nickerson, Tulane

Nickerson appeared in all 16 games for the Jets in his rookie year, including 2 starts.  He recorded 1 Pass Deflection and 18 Solo Tackles over the course of the season, before being traded to Seattle on August 31, 2019 for a conditional 2021 7th round pick.  The conditions are still unknown, so nothing has been made official yet on whether the Jets will end up with that 7th round pick in 2021.  Either way, Nickerson was not a success story for the Jets OR the Seahawks, and ended up on the Jaguars' practice squad.  He ended up appearing in 4 games with Jacksonville and is still on their roster.  The mere fact that he's still on an NFL roster puts him in better standing than 14 other Macc draft picks, at the very least.

Pick 6.180:  NT Folorunso Fatukasi, UCONN

Now THIS is the area of the draft where teams should feel free to draft run-stuffing/rotational DT's!  2019 was a very successful season for Fatukasi, as he appeared on 391 snaps and recorded 14 Solo Tackles, 7 TFLs, 3 QB Hits, 2 QB Hurries, 5 QB Pressures and 2 QB Knockdowns.  Should the Jets need to move on from aging veteran NT Steve McLendon in the near future, Fatukasi should be able to step into that spot without much of a problem.

Pick 6.204:  RB Trenton Cannon, Virginia St.

Cannon was cut today (August 3rd), ending his career as a Jet.  He was unimpressive as a runner (3.0 YPA, 1 TD), receiver (8.5 YPR) and kick returner (19.3 Yards/Return) during his brief career.  All this despite an impressive 40 time (4.40) that ranked him one of the fastest players on the team.

Summary

Thus, what was probably the best of Mike Maccagnan's 5 draft classes still had significant warts on it.  The continued unwillingness to address the Offensive Line and WR spots to build around a young QB was unforgivable, and a big reason why the Jets had to replace all 5 starting Offensive Linemen and both starting WR spots in 2020.  The strong luck factor that led to Sam Darnold falling into the Jets' lap sways little credit towards Maccagnan's direction, so the judgment of this class should mostly fall on the round 3-6 picks.  If Herndon can become a top 10 TE in the league, it'll salvage the class a bit.  For now, it can't receive a final grade just yet, but early signs are not great.

Love your last line in the Nickerson summary😁That’s Pulitzer stuff right there👍

• Like 1

Damn, 5 of 6 players are an NFL roster?

BEAST MODE!!!!!!!!!

lol

• Haha 2

What happens to the legacy of Mike Maccagnan when Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are inducted to the HOF?

What happens to the legacy of Mike Maccagnan when Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold are inducted to the HOF?

Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson all say hello.
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pat Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson all say hello.

What if Watson and Jackson never win a title but Darnold wins multiple? 

• Upvote 2

What if rainbows shoot out of my c**k?
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^non-believer 

^^^non-believer 

I like Sam. But his ceiling is not Pat Mahomes. More like Brett Favre.
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Sam needs to finish as a top five QB some day before we can entertain that. Jamal May tweet himself out of contention and if he does make it he’ll need a lottery to choose the team he go’s in under. I predict in a ten years career he plays for no less then 5-6  teams. None of them being  Dallas. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Arsis

• Like 1

Macc was a truly bad GM who sucked at drafting.

Not really news, is it?

• Upvote 2

@Jetsfan80 I believe this was the draft class that kept Mike Maccagnan here past Bowles and allowed him to continue during the 2019 off-season. If Herndon didn't play as well as he did his rookie year, Mac might have been handed that pink slip in late December 2018. Compound that with what happened on December, 9th, 2018; if Elijah McGuire doesn't score a touchdown in Buffalo on 4th and 1 we get the number one overall pick in the 2019 NFL DRAFT, which means the Jets get Nick Bosa. 

If we lose in Buffalo week 14 of the 2018 season the Jets would have maybe fired Mac along with Bowles and got Nick Bosa. What a momentus day that was. 

• Upvote 1

Not really news, is it?

There are still some who think he was good. Like @Pac

The damage Mac did to the Jets is immeasurable. 

Yes, they have a potential FQB now, but that is almost it other than the players that JD has drafted.  Mac knew the Jets would be bad enough to get a QB in 2017 or 2018.  He should have been building an OL and WR corp to support that QB.

So now JD is in year 3 of Darnold’s rookie contract, which basically was squandered,and now has to build the team knowing that he will need to pay Darnold next year or replace him.  

So the Jets are basically a repeat of the Lions 10 years ago-a team with a QB, soon to be high paid, but not much else.  That makes a trade of Adams for draft picks make much more sense, as the Jets need draft picks who are good salary cap value.  

My prediction is that the Jets in 2021 will be the best Jets team we have seen in the 10 years prior.  Darnold extends rather than sign a 5th year option.  I don’t think he extends before that.  But 2020 will be rough.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not really news, is it?

GTFO, picks or didn’t happen! 

• Haha 2

Sam and Herndon probably are his best picks as far as our future success.  Other than that he was awful 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Name 1 player Macc drafted who failed here but succeeded elsewhere. You can’t, because it doesn’t exist. It wasn’t the coaching.  

And it wasn’t just middle/late rounders either. Darron Lee is useless (and currently a free agent), and Leonard Williams had 0.5 more Sacks than I did last season with the Giants.

Define “succeeded”.

Now I know what the hell is really wrong with you lol...

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Looking back...it's amazing he didn't pick Rosen.  It would be so consistent with the rest of his tenure.

Well, for the sake of this franchise I am glad he didn't. But I wouldn't be surprised he was on Mac's radar.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:
Define “succeeded”.

Wasn’t out of the league 1 year later? lol. Low bar to clear but it is Macc we’re taking about here.   

There simply aren’t any players Macc took that anyone can say were failed by the coaches. They just sucked. Hackenberg, Leo, Lee, Polite, Mauldin, Stewart, Hansen, Petty, Donahue, Leggett, McGuire, Jarvis Harrison, Derrick Jones, Jeremy Clark....just suckage across the board.

Devin Smith succumbed to injuries but has shown some flashes with Dallas, I guess? That still wasn’t a coaching failure.

• Upvote 1

Well, for the sake of this franchise I am glad he didn't. But I wouldn't be surprised he was on Mac's radar.

The Jets spent a lot more time with Rosen than with Josh Allen, even traveling to the west coast to see him perform.  

Rosen or Allen would of course have been the pick had Darnold not been there, and the more likely bet would have been Rosen. Mayfield was who they EXPECTED to be there and would have been the pick had it gone Darnold-Barkley with the first 2 picks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets spent a lot more time Rosen than with Josh Allen, even traveling to the west coast to see him perform.

Rosen or Allen would of course have been the pick had Darnold not been there, and the more likely bet would have been Rosen. Mayfield was who they EXPECTED to be there and would have been the pick had it gone Darnold-Barkley with the first 2 picks.

Could you imagine watching Josh Rosen play behind this line the last two years?  Assuming he would have survived.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

But Mac did pick Darnold, plus his lack of success can be tied to the  talent that the Jets have acquired over the past 7 plus season and a propensity to focus on defense. Mac is an awful GM, but this draft class isn't bad.

Isn't bad?  He had 3 in the top 50, threw in the next year's 2nd and came away with Darnold and 2 rotational defensive linemen.  Shepherd is one of his successes, but he could have had Gallup, Hubbard or Baker there.   More importantly, a guy I didn't much like but I think @JiF had a 1st round grade on, Orlando Brown Jr.  All those were positions of need, rather than replicating Leonard Williams.  More importantly, I think there were some developmental centers that he could have picked late rather than leaving the cupboard bare so that we needed to spend on Kalil and McGovern.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

What if Mahomes never wins a tit... oh wait.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

@Jetsfan80 I believe this was the draft class that kept Mike Maccagnan here past Bowles and allowed him to continue during the 2019 off-season. If Herndon didn't play as well as he did his rookie year, Mac might have been handed that pink slip in late December 2018. Compound that with what happened on December, 9th, 2018; if Elijah McGuire doesn't score a touchdown in Buffalo on 4th and 1 we get the number one overall pick in the 2019 NFL DRAFT, which means the Jets get Nick Bosa. 

If we lose in Buffalo week 14 of the 2018 season the Jets would have maybe fired Mac along with Bowles and got Nick Bosa. What a momentus day that was. 

Typical Jet fan. Always look at the downside.  If we had gotten rid of Maccagnan then there was a good chance we'd have McCarthy as coach and I think it is unlikely that we'd have Douglas.  I am not a fan of Gase, but I believe that he is who brought Douglas on and Douglas is probably the thing that gives me the most hope for the franchise right now. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Looking back...it's amazing he didn't pick Rosen.  It would be so consistent with the rest of his tenure.

Yeah, he did seem to make the safe pick and Darnold didn't have many starts.  I think that he was obviously more plugged in than we are and it seems that the scoop on Rosen was not good which is why he was the 4th one chosen. 

• Like 1

Could you imagine watching Josh Rosen play behind this line the last two years?  Assuming he would have survived.  

And he’s completely unlikable as a person. Would have been such a Jetsy pick.
  • Upvote 1

In time, I think this will be viewed as one of the better draft classes we’ve had in the last couple of decades.

I expect Darnold and Herndon to be impact players. And I also expect Foly and Shep to be key cogs on the DL.

• Upvote 1

I just looked at the 2018 draft board and it was kind of a bad draft anyway. Still though break out the pitchforks, torches, and frozen water bottles because coffee boy deserved it for his drafts and rosters in general.

angry mob GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBSriot GIF

• Upvote 1

Wasn’t out of the league 1 year later? lol. Low bar to clear but it is Macc we’re taking about here.   

There simply aren’t any players Macc took that anyone can say were failed by the coaches. They just sucked. Hackenberg, Leo, Lee, Polite, Mauldin, Stewart, Hansen, Petty, Donahue, Leggett, McGuire, Burris, Jarvis Harrison, Derrick Jones, Jeremy Clark....just suckage across the board.

Devin Smith succumbed to injuries but has shown some flashes with Dallas, I guess? That still wasn’t a coaching failure.

Juston Burris.  That's all I got.  Played some S in college but Jets never gave him a look there.

Just got a 2-yr deal in Carolina to play there after doing a solid job for Cleveland.

• Upvote 1