JetNation

NY Jets Break Out Candidate — Offense

10 hours ago, slats said:

If it's, "oh, we suck again!" then the organization (read: Joe Douglas and the Johnson in charge) will have to start coming to some conclusions about both Darnold and Gase.

This is the most likely case...

but....   less likely .....

we are also dealing with the OL and Bell....

what if Bell has a terrific year, the OL is at least middling, the D is top 10 agfain.... and Sam is still a bottom 6 QB?

That's the disaster no one wants to see...   cos it would mean any positivity abouot drafting Sam was us praying ona  bust....

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

what if Bell has a terrific year, the OL is at least middling, the D is top 10 agfain.... and Sam is still a bottom 6 QB?

All of these things happening is so unlikely that it's essentially impossible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

That's the disaster no one wants to see...   cos it would mean any positivity abouot drafting Sam was us praying ona  bust....

The way you bash Darnold at every opportunity makes me think you want to see that disaster

• Upvote 1

I might be the only one on this but I think it could be Bless. We saw flashes from him last year and he was a rookie coming in mid season without much secondary talent around him. Now there's way more depth (despite losing Adams), I think the pass rush will improve, which will help, the offense won't be punting constantly (we hope), and he will have some experience under his belt. I also think he will have a chip on his shoulder for being benched at the end of last season. I think the way this roster is set up, it gives Bless the perfect opportunity to lock down an outside starting spot and he has the talent to have a breakout season.  

WAaaaaasait!!!

There’s a defense vid being edited now.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

You shut your wh*re mouth!

• Haha 1

Break out candidate:  OL

We have 3 FA's and 2 draft picks devoted to an OL rebuild.  If they are even average, we make a giant step forward.

If Darnold has an effective running game and can pass without have a DL beat him to his spot, then he will prove an excellent QB.  How excellent--we can argue over.  I'll take the upside.

The D looks a bit suspect--as they did last season.  Losing Mosley undercuts hope for improvement.  No Mosley and no JA is a hole to climb out of.  A repeat of last year is probably the best we can hope for.  Maybe GW can produce another miracle.

• Like 1

Mims spelled backwards is Smim. 

SAR I

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

I might be the only one on this but I think it could be Bless. We saw flashes from him last year and he was a rookie coming in mid season without much secondary talent around him. 

• Like 1

Obvious choice is Darnold.  Beyond Sam, I'll go with Herndon.  Time for him to have that TE second-year breakout season he was supposed to have in 2019. 

Elite TEs tend to see a huge jump in production between their rookie year and year 2 (SEE:  George Kittle, Mark Andrews).  Hopefully Herndon proves to be a top 10 guy at the position.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Nice answer, different angle, well done!!

Every once in a while I have a good thought  ☺ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

All of these things happening is so unlikely that it's essentially impossible. 

u could say the reverse, that we create the circumstances for the begiining of life on earth, and then sam will be a hof qb

5 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

You shut your wh*re mouth! emoji9.png

i am certianly bnot saying its probabale, only that it is the outcome that we are as a group steadfastlytrying to shut out of our collective minds b/c it is so unpleasant...      the one thig that i thinkk makes it possible? consistently sh*tty mechanics

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

15 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

WAaaaaasait!!!

There’s a defense vid being edited now. emoji3.pngemoji3.pngemoji3.png

On offense i'd say its Perriman.

Perriman will finally be in a starting role. I mean, he would be the #1 WR by default. Despite Darnold spreading the ball around a lot, he will probably get a lot of targets. He is potentially a big play receiver and I could see him having a big year. I mean, it also won't take THAT much for him to have a break out year. We're talking about a guy who's never had more than 36 catches, 700 yrds, 6TDs. If he is used heavily and gets around 60 catches, comes close to 1,000yrds, getting just under 10 TDs thats a breakout year for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Perriman will finally be in a starting role. I mean, he would be the #1 WR by default. Despite Darnold spreading the ball around a lot, he will probably get a lot of targets. He is potentially a big play receiver and I could see him having a big year. I mean, it also won't take THAT much for him to have a break out year. We're talking about a guy who's never had more than 36 catches, 700 yrds, 6TDs. If he is used heavily and gets around 60 catches, comes close to 1,000yrds, getting just under 10 TDs thats a breakout year for him. 

Hopefully the two of them can develop chemistry very quickly.  Otherwise I expect that breakout to have to wait until the second half of the season, is my guess.

I'll go for a deeper sleeper breakout candidiate and say that Vyncent Smith guy.

Got some reps last year and knows the offense.

May lead to more opportunities earlier in the year and with most others in the WR room new to the system.

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, addage said:

Break out candidate:  OL

We have 3 FA's and 2 draft picks devoted to an OL rebuild.  If they are even average, we make a giant step forward.

If Darnold has an effective running game and can pass without have a DL beat him to his spot, then he will prove an excellent QB.  How excellent--we can argue over.  I'll take the upside.

The D looks a bit suspect--as they did last season.  Losing Mosley undercuts hope for improvement.  No Mosley and no JA is a hole to climb out of.  A repeat of last year is probably the best we can hope for.  Maybe GW can produce another miracle.

I agree on OL: if they give Darnold just an average amount of time, and the RB's average holes and space to operate (I think we were last in the NFL in how early the RB's had first contact,) the defense is on the field less, there are fewer three and outs - which not only gas the D, but give GW and other coaches less time to put in adjustments. Between a better O and the new punter, the other team's offenses will have longer fields, and maybe we get to play with a lead, rather than play catch up, with no room for error on either side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

I'll go for a deeper sleeper breakout candidiate and say that Vyncent Smith guy.

May lead to more opportunities earlier in the year and with most others in the WR room new to the system.

Fine then.  I'll go even deeper.  Mike White.  Future franchise QB.  Beat that!

• Haha 1

First name to come to mind was Perine.

Dude has the skills yo.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

We’re lock step on that one. Perriman is primed for a breakout year. The fortunes of the NY Jets are turning toward the positive thanks to a GM who actually understands football team building. It will finally be us that grabs the “cheap” guy who is about to breakout instead of being the idiots who overpay for the guy who’s done trying.

Perriman had a great year route running and beating his man. When it was his number being called at the end of the year he took care of business.
Another interesting stat was that he was targeted 66x and caught 33 with 3 drops. What does that say?

• Upvote 1

That’s my guy. I almost chose him and said as much in the vid but went with perriman who I think will have a bigger year than V Smith.

That said, smith has every bit of potential to become a similar success story to Robbie. Like you said he knows the offense and will have a leg up on the new crew like Doctson, Cager, Mims and even Perriman.
I hope he takes advantage of that.
I honestly believe that JD’s confidence in guys like V Smith and Berrios is why he didn’t use another draft pick on a WR after nabbing Mims.
Not that I agree with doing that no matter how much I like smith.

• Upvote 1

Amazing how everyone has forgotten about Herndon.  He was the second best rookie TE just a year ago right behind Mark Andrews.  We have no Wide Receivers so Herndon will be Sam’s guy.  He just has to stay healthy

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fine then.  I'll go even deeper.  Mike White.  Future franchise QB.  Beat that!

Deeper.

If Mike White is the break out player and all he has to do is play 4 games to quadruple his production, that means Sam, Flacco and Morgan all went down 😳

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Deeper.

If Mike White is the break out player and all he has to do is play 4 games to quadruple his production, that means Sam, Flacco and Morgan all went down 😳

Mike White might be worse than Petty and Hackenberg 

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Mike White might be worse than Petty and Hackenberg 

Thats actually hard to imagine 

Petty but the Hack?  

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Thats actually hard to imagine 

Petty but the Hack?  

Did you see Mike White play in college?  I’m frankly shocked he is even in the nfl oh wait but Macagnan

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Did you see Mike White play in college?  I’m frankly shocked he is even in the nfl oh wait but Macagnan

Really?
Hes a FA that was signed to the practice squad and will never dress for us that the Cowboys drafted in the 5th round.

But wait what?

On 8/4/2020 at 5:53 AM, slats said:

Perine was Douglas' first pick that wasn't an athletic freak (he grabbed another later in the round in Zuniga), but he's an all-around RB. He can run, catch, and block. I think he's gonna be a great cornerstone in the Jets RB by committee that Gase prefers. I hope he's involved early, but I'd expect him to be in the rotation pretty heavily by the end of the year. He might be the top RB on the roster heading into next year's offseason. 

Outside of the obvious "premiere" backs at the top of the draft, Perine was (for me anyway) the best bang for your buck RB in the draft. He was a workhorse who made clutch plays/runs that don't always show up on the stat sheet. The definition of a natural RB, over an Athlete who just learned to play the position. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Outside of the obvious "premiere" backs at the top of the draft, Perine was (for me anyway) the best bang for your buck RB in the draft. He was a workhorse who made clutch plays/runs that don't always show up on the stat sheet. The definition of a natural RB, over an Athlete who just learned to play the position. 

I hope they get him heavily involved but I feel like he’ll just get buried behind Bell and Gore and won’t get more then a couple of snaps here and there. 

13 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I hope they get him heavily involved but I feel like he’ll just get buried behind Bell and Gore and won’t get more then a couple of snaps here and there. 

It's weird. Neither fit the identity of this team right now. Developing vs established. I'm all for it if it works, but Sam doesn't have the weapons to win games via scoring more than the opponent - and our rebuilding defense isn't talented/there yet to win us games.