Jetsfan80

Frelund: Ranking all 32 teams by their QB rooms heading into training camp

50 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You were looking for something to support your confirmation bias.  Bottom line is he's a sub-60 % thrower and always will be.  He'll have some good games here and there like the one you posted.  Maybe even great ones against weak teams.  But that awful accuracy will always be a problem.  

When he finishes next year at 62%, what are you going to say? 

(we can bump this thread in 6 months)

17 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

When he finishes next year at 62%, what are you going to say? 

(we can bump this thread in 6 months)

He won't without a sh*t ton of dinking and dunking.

Completion % isn't this natural progression that keeps going up every year.  Cam Newton completed 60.0 % of his throws his rookie year, then 57.7 % in year 2, then 61.7 in year 3, and then from year 4-7 he was below 60 % each season.

Since Josh Allen is a poor man's Cam Newton as a thrower, I expect a similar type of ebb and flow.  

9 hours ago, GreenCow said:

I think if that class was re-drafted today, the Jets take Allen over Darnold.

Of course you think that.  You’re a Bills fan.  And I think you’re out of your mind if you think Allen is better in the pocket then Darnold.  I’m not saying Darnold is the real deal, but Allen is the most inaccurate QB I’ve ever seen and has had a distinct advantage over Darnold when you compare their supporting casts.  And I can find plenty of fluff pieces about Darnold so those Allen clips mean nothing.

And there are plenty 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Of course you think that.  You’re a Bills fan.  And I think you’re out of your mind if you think Allen is better in the pocket then Darnold.  I’m not saying Darnold is the real deal, but Allen is the most inaccurate QB I’ve ever seen and has had a distinct advantage over Darnold when you compare their supporting casts.  And I can find plenty of fluff pieces about Darnold so those Allen clips mean nothing.

And there are plenty 

Hackenberg says hello.  But yes Allen is not far behind.

14 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

And there are plenty 

No. I'm not.

I just speak with the truth while homers don't want to see it.

As far as the pocket goes, what!?!?

Have you watched a Jets game?

Darnold is statistically one of the worst QB's in the pocket in the entire NFL.

----

----

Allen does have some accuracy issues (although your comment of being the worst you've ever seen shows that you haven't watched football for very long), his pocket presence is insanely good. 

The fact that you didn't realize that navigating a pocket is one of Darnold's biggest weaknesses and one of Allen's biggest strengths, just shows that you have no place in this debate.

There is a reason why you heard all season long that "Gase doesn't get Darnold outside the pocket". It's because analysts know he sucks inside the pocket!!

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He won't without a sh*t ton of dinking and dunking.

Completion % isn't this natural progression that keeps going up every year.  Cam Newton completed 60.0 % of his throws his rookie year, then 57.7 % in year 2, then 61.7 in year 3, and then from year 4-7 he was below 60 % each season.

Since Josh Allen is a poor man's Cam Newton as a thrower, I expect a similar type of ebb and flow.  

Wow. You literally can't answer a simple question. OK then.

• Haha 1

Just now, GreenCow said:

No. I'm not.

It doesn't boil down to simply "being a homer", at least not from my end.  I was heavily critical of Allen well before the 2018 draft, and wanted nothing to do with him. 

He could have been drafted by any team, including the Jets, and I'd be saying the same stuff about him right now.

2 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Wow. You literally can't answer a simple question. OK then.

What was your simple question?  You wanted me to acknowledge he made good throws in that 1 game?  I answered that already.  Yes, he did make good throws in that 1 game.

Your failure to see the big picture is not my problem.  He'll have good games here and there, where his throws will look good.  That's not the point, at all.

Pre-season rankings are irrelevant and whining about them is childish.

The only ranking I care about is production at year end.  Wins.  Passing Yards.  Passing TD's.  Interceptions.

As others have said already, it's on Darnold to prove what he is, on the field, with production.  Not in reporter ranking and fan fawning sloppy adulation.

If Darnold plays all 16 games, wins 9 or more games, throws for 4,000+ yards with 25 or more TD's and less than half that in INT's, no preseason ranking in the world will matter the slightest.  If he doesn't...

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:16 AM, Philc1 said:

Paxton Lynch is hot ass garbage.  I remember Cimini and half this messageboard having a meltdown when Macagnan didn’t draft him

I remember Gruden thinking we'd pick him at 6 lol

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It doesn't boil down to simply "being a homer", at least not from my end.  I was heavily critical of Allen well before the 2018 draft, and wanted nothing to do with him. 

He could have been drafted by any team, including the Jets, and I'd be saying the same stuff about him right now.

Let’s put that the to the test. 

What do you think of Darnold?

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What was your simple question?  You wanted me to acknowledge he made good throws in that 1 game?  I answered that already.  Yes, he did make good throws in that 1 game.

Your failure to see the big picture is not my problem.  He'll have good games here and there, where his throws will look good.  That's not the point, at all.

A good game here or there?

His team went to the playoffs. 

Gang Green went home.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GreenCow said:

navigating a pocket is one of Darnold's biggest weaknesses and one of Allen's biggest strengths, just shows that you have no place in this debate.

There is a reason why you heard all season long that "Gase doesn't get Darnold outside the pocket". It's because analysts know he sucks inside the pocket!!

From analyst Chris Simms: "There’s a lot of things to like about his game. First off, he’s a magician in the pocket. That’s what I love about Darnold more than anything"

If you would like me to provide video examples of him navigating a pocket and making things happen, I would love to. Allen isn't a bad QB, and neither is Darnold. You don't have to bang the table for a QB that's not even ours with double standards.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

From analyst Chris Simms: "There’s a lot of things to like about his game. First off, he’s a magician in the pocket. That’s what I love about Darnold more than anything"

If you would like me to provide video examples of him navigating a pocket and making things happen, I would love to. Allen isn't a bad QB, and neither is Darnold. You don't have to bang the table for a QB that's not even ours with double standards.

Uhm...

And if you don’t like the stats, consider this. Gase himself practically said Sam sucks in the pocket. 

“I think that’s something that we’re going to keep working on, that’s something that we can get better at. I think sometimes he’ll go to escape the pocket on his own instead of working through the progression (in the pocket).” - Adam Gase

And if you don’t believe the head coach, here is another source... 

Another concerning aspect to Darnold’s 2ndseason was that he was frenetic in the face of pressure. He wasn’t calm sitting in the pocket and navigating the rush while keeping a downfield focus. He was too aware of pass rushers around him. There were times where he would breakdown immediately in response to any pressure, move to run instead of moving to throw, and lose his throwing base.” - Football film room

And if stats, his own head coach, and football film room isn’t enough, here is another source...

He has a lot of positives to build on, but his game needs polish. The biggest thing is developing his pocket presence, which means learning to be patient but not to the point where he's hesitant to improvise outside the pocket.”

And if stats, his own head coach, football film room, and espn aren’t enough, here is another source...

“The most disturbing thing is that Darnold looks worse now than he did at any point last year under former coach Todd Bowles and offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates. He is flustered in the pocket and is making poor decisions several times each game.” - north jersey

And if stats, his own head coach, football film room, espn, and north jersey isn’t good enough, here is another source...

While the 23-year-old is certainly athletic and able to navigate the pocket, there seems to be a disconnect between his eyes and his lower half.” - USA Today

And if stats, his own head coach, football film room, espn, north jersey, and USA Today isn’t good enough, here is another source...

Darnold’s lack of consistent footwork and balance in the pocket have been the same since I evaluated him coming out of USC. It may be one of those things that you have to live with and work within that framework.” - Greg Cosell

31 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

And if you don’t like the stats

What stats? All you've shown me is a tweet by a guy named Steven Ruiz and a bunch of other quotes with not one number involved, I showed you an actual stat.

31 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

While the 23-year-old is certainly athletic and able to navigate the pocket

One of your quotes actually says that he is able to navigate the pocket, which you just said was one of his weak points and is the entire point of this argument in the first place. 

You're also over-relying on "experts" and "analysts" to tell you these things when guys like Tony Romo, Chris Simms, and Dan Orlovsky claim the contrary. And I'm pretty sure they've seen the field more than anyone you're getting your facts from. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Grandy said:

What stats? All you've shown me is a tweet by a guy named Steven Ruiz and a bunch of other quotes with not one number involved, I showed you an actual stat.

One of your quotes actually says that he is able to navigate the pocket, which you just said was one of his weak points and is the entire point of this argument in the first place. 

You're also over-relying on "experts" and "analysts" to tell you these things when guys like Tony Romo, Chris Simms, and Dan Orlovsky claim the contrary. And I'm pretty sure they've seen the field more than anyone you're getting your facts from. 

You misread that quote. It was saying he is athletic enough to be able to physically maneuver the pocket, but he just can’t seem to be able to do it in actuality.

lol context matters.

Even if you want to ignore all the experts, the coach of the dang team even says he has issues in the pocket.

jeez lol

5 hours ago, GreenCow said:

Let’s put that the to the test. 

What do you think of Darnold?

He shows some flashes and I'd like to see him with an improved supporting cast this year. He makes some terrible decisions that he needs to get rid of to be a good QB. He goes through his progressions pretty well but could be more consistent with his reads. He could stand to set his feet better when throwing from a stationary platform. He is accurate and has a plus arm. Needs to take positive plays over looking for big ones constantly. Hopefully a youth thing that can be coached away. 

Josh Allen sucks. He has done nothing to make me regret my draft season disdain for him as a prospect. Actively stated how there was absolutely no reason for him to get drafted before Jackson since I thought Jackson provided everything he did but with huge upside. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 5:23 PM, GreenCow said:

Lol how dumb. That kid was terrible from the beginning.

Oh my God.  Summer of 2005 when Schein was on WFAN he was acting like Losman was the next Jim Kelly only better

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, GreenCow said:

No. I'm not.

----

----

Allen does have some accuracy issues (although your comment of being the worst you've ever seen shows that you haven't watched football for very long), his pocket presence is insanely good. 

The fact that you didn't realize that navigating a pocket is one of Darnold's biggest weaknesses and one of Allen's biggest strengths, just shows that you have no place in this debate.

Agree.  Sam is actually better under duress then in a clean pocket tho he rarely had a clean pocket last season

Improved talent at WR/TE should help.  Maybe Gase will finally show us why he’s considered an offensive guru and design some nice plays?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheMo said:

He shows some flashes and I'd like to see him with an improved supporting cast this year. He makes some terrible decisions that he needs to get rid of to be a good QB. He goes through his progressions pretty well but could be more consistent with his reads. He could stand to set his feet better when throwing from a stationary platform. He is accurate and has a plus arm. Needs to take positive plays over looking for big ones constantly. Hopefully a youth thing that can be coached away. 

Josh Allen sucks. He has done nothing to make me regret my draft season disdain for him as a prospect. Actively stated how there was absolutely no reason for him to get drafted before Jackson since I thought Jackson provided everything he did but with huge upside. 

Thoughtful analysis.

I guess we’ll see how it plays out this season.

I think there is a reason why Allen is getting huge MVP love. And Darnold is getting nothing.

1 minute ago, GreenCow said:

Thoughtful analysis.

I think there is a reason why Allen is getting huge MVP love. And Darnold is getting nothing.

Syracuse School of Communications mafia

All those dittoheads who are now sportscasters go there for 4 years and become Bills fans.  

• Haha 1

In the 26 games in Darnold's career only 9 games were when the pressure was below 34%. In those 9 games he had a QB rating of 108.3.

12 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Thoughtful analysis.

The media was hyping Mayfield last year and one after the other in previous years. That is not a compelling argument. 

Also you seem to hone in on stats. He hasn't even achieved Sanchez's best year. The fact that the media is babbling about MVPs with him just makes me question their judgement further. He had 1 more TD and 40yd more despite playing three more games than Darnold. Darnold didn't play consistently well, but Allen was worse. Just so you don't twist it, playing barely better than Allen is really not the bar I'd judge Darnold by. It's a pretty low one. 

22 minutes ago, TheMo said:

The media was hyping Mayfield last year and one after the other in previous years. That is not a compelling argument. 

Also you seem to hone in on stats. He hasn't even achieved Sanchez's best year. The fact that the media is babbling about MVPs with him just makes me question their judgement further. He had 1 more TD and 40yd more despite playing three more games than Darnold. Darnold didn't play consistently well, but Allen was worse. Just so you don't twist it, playing barely better than Allen is really not the bar I'd judge Darnold by. It's a pretty low one. 

Ah, I see you’re one of those who have zero respect for what a QB can do with his legs.

My advice? Get with the times. Its a different league now and scrambling QB’s make big differences. Because, well, it’s still 7 points whether the TD is from throwing or running.

If you include Allen’s scrambling, he had (without looking up the exact stats), something like 10 more TD’s, 500 more yards and still less INT’s than Sam.

Allen had MORE total TD's, MORE total Yards, MORE game winning drives, LESS Interceptions, and a better QB record, 

Only a homer would say Sam had the better year.

Edit: how Sam ended up with more turnovers in less games is something that still boggles my mind

26 minutes ago, TheMo said:

8 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Ah, I see you’re one of those who have zero respect for what a QB can do with his legs.

My advice? Get with the times. Its a different league now and scrambling QB’s make big differences. 

If you include Allen’s scrambling, he had (without looking up the exact stats), something like 10 more TD’s, 400 more yards and still less INT’s than Sam.

I did just look it up. Josh Allen rushed for 580 yards and 9 TDS in 2019.

Darnold rushed for 62 and 2 TDs

13 hours ago, GreenCow said:

No. I'm not.

----

I have never heard of these so called analysts  you are quoting and, frankly, don’t really care. And pocket presence means nothing when your accuracy sucks, which Allen clearly suffers from.  

Bottom line is that you are a Bills fan trolling a Jets message board who is about two years behind where Bears fans were with Trubisky.  Congrats on building a good supporting cast and defense but, sorry, your QB/RB is not getting you past the second round of the playoffs.  But keep throwing stones at Darnold — who your team would have drafted in a heart beat over Allen — if it makes you feel bette.

1 minute ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I have never heard of these so called analysts  you are quoting and, frankly, don’t really care. And pocket presence means nothing when your accuracy sucks, which Allen clearly suffers from.  

Bottom line is that you are a Bills fan trolling a Jets message board who is about two years behind where Bears fans were with Trubisky.  Congrats on building a good supporting cast and defense but, sorry, your QB/RB is not getting you past the second round of the playoffs.  But keep throwing stones at Darnold — who you’re team would have drafted in a heart beat over Allen — if it makes you feel bette.

You’ve never heard of Adam Gase and Greg Cosell?

🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

I did just look it up. Josh Allen rushed for 580 yards and 9 TDS in 2019.

Thanks. Sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Thanks. Sounds about right.

Just edited that post to include Sam’s rushing stats.

62 yds and 2 TDS

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

You’ve never heard of Adam Gase and Greg Cosell?

🤦🏻‍♂️

Here’s an interesting article from PFF:

There are a number of reasons to be optimistic about the Bills. Defensively, they are among the best teams in the NFL, allowing the fourth-fewest yards per play in the NFL a season ago, and are guided by two of the best coaches in terms of getting the most out of their players in Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier. They drafted Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa with their first pick in last month’s 2020 NFL Draft, buying low on a guy who was considered a first-round talent at this time last year. They did the same thing with Josh Norman, who played his best football with McDermott in Carolina, while A.J. Klein and Mario Addison should be welcomed additions, too.

On offense, the Bills used their first-round pick to acquire a player who has been, at times, the best player on a good Minnesota Vikings team since entering the league in 2015, Stefon Diggs. They also took Utah superstar running back Zack Mossin Round 3 and UCF playmaker Gabriel Davis on Day 3 to see if they can build on quarterback Josh Allen‘s improvement in Year 2 — his PFF passing grade rose to 61.4 from 58.0 in his rookie campaign and his yards per attempt jumped two-tenths of a yard, as well.

There are a number of reasons to be optimistic about the Bills. Defensively, they are among the best teams in the NFL, allowing the fourth-fewest yards per play in the NFL a season ago, and are guided by two of the best coaches in terms of getting the most out of their players in Sean McDermott and Leslie Frazier. They drafted Iowa defensive end A.J. Epenesa with their first pick in last month’s 2020 NFL Draft, buying low on a guy who was considered a first-round talent at this time last year. They did the same thing with Josh Norman, who played his best football with McDermott in Carolina, while A.J. Klein and Mario Addison should be welcomed additions, too.

On offense, the Bills used their first-round pick to acquire a player who has been, at times, the best player on a good Minnesota Vikings team since entering the league in 2015, Stefon Diggs. They also took Utah superstar running back Zack Mossin Round 3 and UCF playmaker Gabriel Davis on Day 3 to see if they can build on quarterback Josh Allen‘s improvement in Year 2 — his PFF passing grade rose to 61.4 from 58.0 in his rookie campaign and his yards per attempt jumped two-tenths of a yard, as well.

However, significant questions remain about whether Allen can really be a franchise quarterback for the Bills. First off, for all of the improvement — especially when throwing underneath — Allen was the NFL’s worst quarterback at completing passes traveling more than 20 yards in the air a season ago (40.8 PFF grade) and threw the fourth-highest percentage of passes deemed “uncatchable and inaccurate” (26.0%). While Allen improved in other areas of play, the latter stat barely budged from his 26.7% mark in his 2018 rookie season, and he was actually better throwing the ball deep as a rookie (73.5 PFF grade).

Yikes - good luck with that.  And, again, I really don’t care what a Bills fan (yes, you’re a Bills fan so stop saying otherwise) has to say about Darnold.  But I will call you out for claiming Mitch Trubisky 2.0 is the next Tom Brady when the reality is that he’s hurting your team more then helping.  Run, Josh, run!!!

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Here’s an interesting article from PFF:

However, significant questions remain about whether Allen can really be a franchise quarterback for the Bills. First off, for all of the improvement — especially when throwing underneath — Allen was the NFL’s worst quarterback at completing passes traveling more than 20 yards in the air a season ago (40.8 PFF grade) and threw the fourth-highest percentage of passes deemed “uncatchable and inaccurate” (26.0%). While Allen improved in other areas of play, the latter stat barely budged from his 26.7% mark in his 2018 rookie season, and he was actually better throwing the ball deep as a rookie (73.5 PFF grade).

Yikes - good luck with that.  And, again, I really don’t care what a Bills fan (yes, you’re a Bills fan so stop saying otherwise) has to say about Darnold.  But I will call you out for claiming Mitch Trubisky 2.0 is the next Tom Brady when the reality is that he’s hurting your team more then helping.  Run, Josh, run!!!

Goodness gracious 

6 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Goodness gracious 

Excellent counter argument!  Now go back to the Bills fan forums and check back in around November.

56 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

My advice? Get with the times. Its a different league now and scrambling QB’s make big differences. Because, well, it’s still 7 points whether the TD is from throwing or running.

If you include Allen’s scrambling, he had (without looking up the exact stats), something like 10 more TD’s, 500 more yards and still less INT’s than Sam.

Allen had MORE total TD's, MORE total Yards, MORE game winning drives, LESS Interceptions, and a better QB record, 

Only a homer would say Sam had the better year.

Edit: how Sam ended up with more turnovers in less games is something that still boggles my mind

Or you could be wrong. Did that ever cross your mind. That someone could have an opinion other than your own. Gasp they could even be right. You might be right about him. I just don't think a QB who can't complete 58% of his passes will be that guy. I also talked about how I liked Jackson better as a prospect. Felt that his running was more of a game changer especially because he tended not to run on designed pass plays unless he had to. Unlike Allen. I just don't think Allen's year is was that much better than Darnolds. Sorry that hurt your feelings. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, TheMo said:

Or you could be wrong. Did that ever cross your mind. That someone could have an opinion other than your own. Gasp they could even be right. You might be right about him. I just don't think a QB who can't complete 58% of his passes will be that guy. I also talked about how I liked Jackson better as a prospect. Felt that his running was more of a game changer especially because he tended not to run on designed pass plays unless he had to. Unlike Allen. I just don't think Allen's year is was that much better than Darnolds. Sorry that hurt your feelings. 

Of course whether Allen turns out to be the real deal is a matter of opinion right now.

What I said you were wrong about, was the stats.

Allen had MORE total TD's, MORE total Yards, MORE game winning drives, LESS Interceptions, and a better QB record in 2019.

He beat Sam in every dang category. That’s not opinion and it’s not disputable. It’s fact.