Jetsfan80

Bills RB Josh Allen 'learned a lot' from playoff collapse to Texans

https://www.nfl.com/news/josh-allen-learned-a-lot-from-playoff-collapse-to-texans

Josh Allen 'learned a lot' from playoff collapse to Texans

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The Buffalo Bills held a 16-0 third-quarter lead in a road playoff tilt against the Houston Texans. Then it all slipped away.

Quarterback Josh Allen came out of the gate hot, helping build a 13-0 halftime lead, but struggled in the second half. Coach Sean McDermott admitted after the game that Allen was trying to do too much.

The QB threw for 264 yards and rushed for another 92, but also took three sacks, lost a big fumble and forced a boatload of throws in the second half and overtime -- famously one deep downfield to a fullback. Allen was out of control at times, including a wild lateral late in the fourth quarter when the Bills were driving to tie the game.

Ultimately, Buffalo came up short, losing to Deshaun Watson's heroics in OT.

Allen joined NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Wednesday and noted that the ups-and-downs of the playoff defeat were a learning tool.

"I think I learned a couple lessons that game," he said. "One, not to press, being up like we were, 16-0, letting that kind of slip through our fingers there. There's no doubt in my mind that I should have played better. There are certain things I could've done to help this team win that football game, and that's going to drive me to this day.

"I think number two was the importance of a home playoff game and allowing ourselves to -- well, it might be a little different this year -- but having a home playoff game where you do have that energy, that excitement on your side and you can feel the momentum swing. It was very apparent during the game you felt the momentum kind of change and it sucked to be on the other side of that, for once. I learned a lot from that game. Still, every time I see highlights or whatever from it, it just kind of makes me cringe because I know we should have been put in a better position and I know I had a huge part in that. I take it very hard on myself, and I'm using that to motivate me."

With the Bills sporting a solid squad up-and-down the roster, Buffalo is expected to compete to overthrow the New England Patriots in the AFC East and finally earn that home playoff game. Things might be different due to COVID-19 restrictions this year, but having a home game in Buffalo in January would be beneficial for other reasons.

First, Allen has to improve in Year 3. The Bills have buffered the strong-armed QB with multiple weapons in 2020, including importing star wideout Stefon Diggs. Now Allen has to learn from that playoff loss and ensure a collapse like that doesn't happen again on his watch.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Bills RB Josh Allen

Stone cold lol

At least JN is not demeaning our division opponents by calling them "gay" and "homo" anymore, now that Brady has gone to Tampa.

In fairness, that might strike a little too close to home with Allen, given his VERY close, personal, some might say loving friendship with Sam Darnold.

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

At least JN is not demeaning our division opponents by calling them "gay" and "homo" anymore, now that Brady has gone to Tampa.

In fairness, that might strike a little too close to home with Allen, given his VERY close, personal, some might say loving friendship with Sam Darnold.

Has Bills' RB Josh Allen had mono?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No chance. Being a gay male requires significantly better accuracy than either Darnold or Allen possess. Tighter windows.

The target could be tight...but also wide. 

The stark contrast between Watson's cool calm and collected demeanor in the game vs. Allen's insanely erratic and careless performance was alarming.  

That said, Allen is a playmaker. I'll give him that but his play is going to lead to these type of performances.  If I were Buffalo, I'd go yolo and commit my offense to his legs like the Ravens did with Jackson.  You cant ask Josh Allen to be a drop back QB.  He's just like, really bad at it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Josh Allen’s fumble was 20 times worse than the butt fumble. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The target could be tight...but also wide. 

I always got the impression Brady preferred his tight ends to his wide receivers. 

Children playing Pee-Wee football have way more awareness than Allen did in that game.

No excuse for the decisions he made

• Upvote 3

He learned that his days are numbered as a starter

• Upvote 1

It was almost as if they lost Mosley and thus the reason they blew a 16-0 lead

13 minutes ago, KRL said:

Children playing Pee-Wee football have way more awareness than Allen did in that game.

No excuse for the decisions he made

do you think darnold and allen discuss this when they hang out all the time, when they're quarantining?  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

do you think darnold and allen discuss this when they hang out all the time, when they're quarantining?  

You mean about being gay and tight windows and stuff?

So the lesson was "don't collapse in a playoff game when significantly ahead" ?

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

The stark contrast between Watson's cool calm and collected demeanor in the game vs. Allen's insanely erratic and careless performance was alarming.  

That said, Allen is a playmaker. I'll give him that but his play is going to lead to these type of performances.  If I were Buffalo, I'd go yolo and commit my offense to his legs like the Ravens did with Jackson.  You cant ask Josh Allen to be a drop back QB.  He's just like, really bad at it. 

100 % yes.  Get whatever you can out of his legs on his rookie deal, then let him sign his 2nd contract elsewhere.  Similar to what a team would do with any good RB.  

• Like 1

He’s a FB not a RB. He looks like he’s running with work boot on through the mud. 

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16607497

That was the dumbest play I’ve ever seen in a game. They were lucky to get ball back

• Upvote 2

I'm thinking if Darnold was on that team, with that talent and that coach, Buffalo would be a contender. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

They would make some beautiful babies

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They would make some beautiful babies

Ehhhhh.....

EazZ9w0X0AICKcO?format=jpg&name=large

EazZ9tgWsAIViZD?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 1

I wouldn't count on that home energy this year Josh. Stands could be empty.

I believe that Allen will develop into a top 10-15 qb over the next couple of years. He is big and strong with a good work ethic.  He needs to improve his accuracy and get more experience against nfl type defenses.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No chance. Being a gay male requires significantly better accuracy than either Darnold or Allen possess. Tighter windows.

True they can get it right in the chute for tight ends and W/R's..

9 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Has Bills' RB Josh Allen had mono?

this doesn't sit well with my, wanting to see pics of Darnold's chick! :eek:

3 hours ago, Joejet said:

I believe that Allen will develop into a top 10-15 qb over the next couple of years. He is big and strong with a good work ethic.  He needs to improve his accuracy and get more experience against nfl type defenses.

'all' he has to do is improve his accuracy. Because that's a thing that happens. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

'all' he has to do is improve his accuracy. Because that's a thing that happens. 

Oh, that's all?  The guy who could only complete 56 % of his throws against Mountain West Conference defensive backs just has to improve his accuracy at the next level to become good?  Easy!

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

tenor.gif?itemid=16607497

Lol that was so dumb. I wonder what he was thinking. 

I still think Darnold has a chance at a solid career, but I’d take Allen over Darnold any day right now.

I think he’s going to be a star. Some guys just take more time.

He has his issues for sure, but the guy also does stuff that most QB’s can’t do. I watched as people on this forum said for years that Brady was overrated, so I’m not too concerned about being in the minority. Homers are gonna homer.

And this is coming from someone who bashed that pick hard. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/dark-horse-nfl-mvp-candidates-in-2020-josh-allen-tops-the-list

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Allen: 6,304 total yards, 47 Total TD’s, 21 INT ... 15-12 record 

Darnold: 6,089 total yards, 39 Total TD’s, 28 INT ... 11-15 record

If Allen was in Green, this entire forum would be creaming over him going into his 3rd year.

• Upvote 1