Benigno can't stop talking about drafting Trevor Lawrence and it's asinine

On 8/11/2020 at 10:17 AM, bitonti said:

Honestly what has Sam Darnold ever done that's special? Not a rhetorical question. He's due a 100 million dollar extension soon

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

You keep acting like Sam was bad last year.  He had a winning record as a starter with a bad supporting cast and threw 19tds to 13ints with a 62% completion percentage 

But yeah he hasn’t lit the world on fire like Baker who totally sucked last year with a better team.  Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen are both still looking for their first wins in a playoff game and Josh Rosen isn’t even a second string at this point

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I would trade either of these players for Sam Darnold right now straight up no questions asked 

I would not trade Josh Allen for Darnold.  Allen has benefitted from a much better o-line and roster.  That's the main difference.  His coach also seems better.  But if you put Josh Allen on this team you'd have the same amount of losing, maybe even more.

As for Lamar Jackson, yeah he's better now but a guy with that skill set usually has a short shelf-life in his prime, so in 7 years when Darnold is just 30 with some good years left and Jackson is on the back end of his run, we may be glad in the end.  Jackson still has 0 titles, remember.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetscrazey said:

I would not trade Josh Allen for Darnold.  Allen has benefitted from a much better o-line and roster.  That's the main difference.  His coach also seems better.  But if you put Josh Allen on this team you'd have the same amount of losing, maybe even more.

As for Lamar Jackson, yeah he's better now but a guy with that skill set usually has a short shelf-life, so in 7 years when Darnold is just 30 with some good years left and Jackson is on the back end of his run, we may be glad in the end.  Jackson still has 0 titles, remember.

I agree.  Love fans on here who kill Sanchez who won 4 playoff games in two years and reached two AFC Championship games:  "yeah but he had great teams - not because of him".  Same fans are all pining for Allen now.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

As for Lamar Jackson, yeah he's better now but a guy with that skill set usually has a short shelf-life in his prime, so in 7 years when Darnold is just 30 with some good years left and Jackson is on the back end of his run, we may be glad in the end.  Jackson still has 0 titles, remember.

Josh Allen has elite arm strength, plus speed and plus size. He's durable, starting all 16 games last year. The bills do not have better weapons, they are no-names on offense (not exactly Julio Jones or whatever). 

Sam Darnold has basic attributes compared to Allen and hasn't made it through a season healthy yet 

Lamar Jackson is a winner and the Ravens didn't need to mortgage 3 2nd rounders for him 

As for Darnold 7 years from now why would we expect the Jets to pay for a Rich Gannon like career track? Yeah he might be good a decade from now, how many teams will he have gone through by then? He's going to need an extension and soon 

he's done nothing to earn it. He's 3-9 vs playoff teams. 

in fact the "ghosts" game on MNF Belly showed the leagues better defense how to beat Darnold. 

here's a hot take on Darnold it's all over but the crying. Start James Morgan. 

• Thumb Down 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Josh Allen has elite arm strength, plus speed and plus size. He's durable, starting all 16 games last year. The bills do not have better weapons, they are no-names on offense (not exactly Julio Jones or whatever). 

Sam Darnold has basic attributes compared to Allen and hasn't made it through a season healthy yet 

Lamar Jackson is a winner and the Ravens didn't need to mortgage 3 2nd rounders for him 

As for Darnold 7 years from now why would we expect the Jets to pay for a Rich Gannon like career track? Yeah he might be good a decade from now, how many teams will he have gone through by then? He's going to need an extension and soon 

in fact the "ghosts" game on MNF Belly showed the leagues better defense how to beat Darnold. 

Isn't your expertise on the football field OLine? I respect your opinion but aside from OLine your evaluations for other positions are all ovet the place.

You say that the Bills have the same talent on offensive as the Jets. How exactly? Even before the Diggs trade they had 3 reliable receivers, a above average OLine and a top 5 Defense to support them. Which one of these things did Sam have? They have little star power but as a whole the Bills are a good team.

• Upvote 2

Jets record since drafting Darnold:

0-6 when he is out

11-14 when he starts

He's the only reason this team has been semi-competitive the past two seasons.  How about we put some NFL quality players around him before we write him off?

Some of these posts are going to be hilarious in a couple of years when Darnold is widely considered one of the great young quarterbacks in the game.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Isn't your expertise on the football field OLine? I respect your opinion but aside from OLine your evaluations for other positions are all ovet the place.

my predictions have been really good since I stopped believing in the team 

I wanted Mahomes instead of Adams, people forget that year 

it was the same nonsense by the way, Mahomes wouldn't be Mahomes without Andy Reid 

here's an idea maybe the guy drafted at 3 overall pull his weight for once 

for my latest trick 

I predict Sam Darnold will not get an extension from the NYJ 

franchise players don't need everything around them to be perfect

they elevate the crap around them 

8 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets record since drafting Darnold:

0-6 when he is out

11-14 when he starts

this speaks more to the lack of a backup Qb plan than any sort of endorsement of Darnold 

Joe Douglas didn't pick Darnold by the way 

he did use a 4th rounder on James Morgan for the next time Darnold gets hurt

hopefully he gets Wally Pipped 

• Thumb Down 4

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

this speaks more to the lack of a backup Qb plan than any sort of endorsement of Darnold 

Three of those losses were with Josh McCown, who was widely considered a middle of the road veteran back up, and he had some mild success with the Jets the previous season.  In one of those losses they had Trevor Siemian, an experienced former starter, and he couldn't survive the first half of play (another testament to the type of abuse Darnold has had to deal with).

You have to admit that the roster around Darnold in his first two seasons has been utter garbage.  There is no doubt he needs to improve, but the circumstances to date must be taken into account when he is being evaluated.  Without Darnold, the Jets may be the worst team in the league.  He is the only reason they had a puncher's chance the past two years.

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

You have to admit that the roster around Darnold in his first two seasons has been utter garbage.  There is no doubt he needs to improve, but the circumstances to date must be taken into account when he is being evaluated.

I never said it wasn't a garbage roster

a guy who has that much draft capital invested in him doesn't also get to have a perfect roster

Darnold is good not special. Managers need everything around them to be excellent to perform. Like Sanchez. 

for the price of  3 2nd rounders and insta-HOF guard Quenton Nelson, 14 had to be special and only jets fans are left hoping he's special 

I don't have anything personal against the guy, he's just not that good

• Thumb Down 3

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

a guy who has that much draft capital invested in him doesn't also get to have a perfect roster

I don't have anything personal against the guy, he's just not that good

I don't think anyone is expecting a perfect roster.  How about "not the worst in the league?"  Putting an NFL worthy offensive line in front of him would be a good start.

Time will tell whether he is good, great, or bad.  The jury is still out.  I just think it's silly to write him off at this point considering the circumstances.  Personally, I think most quarterbacks would have crumbled (physically and/or mentally) by now.  He hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has managed to hold his own.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I don't think anyone is expecting a perfect roster.  How about "not the worst in the league?"  Putting an NFL worthy offensive line in front of him would be a good start.

Time will tell whether he is good, great, or bad.  The jury is still out.  I just think it's silly to write him off at this point considering the circumstances.  Personally, I think most quarterbacks would have crumbled (physically and/or mentally) by now.  He hasn't lit the world on fire, but he has managed to hold his own.

He's not made it through 16 game season, how is that holding up physically?

Jets fans have such a low bar for Darnold. 

Holding his own isn't enough for 3 overall and 3 2nd rounders.  

He's supposed to light the world on fire. 

• Thumb Down 3

36 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's not made it through 16 game season, how is that holding up physically?

Jets fans have such a low bar for Darnold. 

Holding his own isn't enough for 3 overall and 3 2nd rounders.  

He's supposed to light the world on fire. 

Not making it through a 16 game season is my biggest complaint and concern thus far.  He has to prove he can stay healthy.

If you are going to use 3rd overall as part of the cost, then you can't throw in the three second rounders.  If you want to use the three second rounders, then the cost was really 6th overall and three second rounders.

You can judge him using whatever criteria you'd like.  Personally, I don't think it's realistic to expect anyone to light the world on fire considering the state of the Jets in 2018 and 2019.

Let's see what he can do moving forward with a potentially better team built around him.  The Jets biggest weakness in my eyes was the offensive line.  Right now, all we can definitively say is that it's different.  Whether or not it is better is yet to be determined.  In my opinion, the only place they can go is up because the Jets offensive line play the past two seasons has been the worst I have witnessed in my three decades of watching football.

18 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The Jets biggest weakness in my eyes was the offensive line.  Right now, all we can definitively say is that it's different.  Whether or not it is better is yet to be determined.  In my opinion, the only place they can go is up because the Jets offensive line play the past two seasons has been the worst I have witnessed in my three decades of watching football.

without getting into the weeds, Darnold was getting his 2.5 seconds

there's all sorts of stats for QB hits and QB sacks etc and he was in the middle of the pack of these. the problem was he was garbage under pressure. 

there's this narrative that the Jets offensive line was the worst ever in the history of football

this is incorrect

what you are watching is a QB who can't make pre-snap reads, can't beat the blitz and find the hot man, at least not consistently 

he started to do it at the end of last season but not against good defenses

teams have been begging Darnold (Geno, Sanchez etc) to beat the blitz and these guys don't do it.

Gase's reluctance to keep in a RB to block or change his gameplan to send 5 targets out doesn't help the matter  

put it another way when there's 6 rushers and only 5 blockers, even the greatest OL in the history will fail 

the Jets OL wasn't good, and it got really bad when beachum was hurt, but they routinely were put in extra rusher situations and Sam didn't make the changes he needed to on the fly 

Sam wasn't seeing blind side blitzers he was getting rocked with a lack of awareness. On TV it looks like the line was trash. 

well maybe that's acceptable for a 22 year old but it's year 3 now and at some point he needs to flash. he needs to see these extra "robbers" and figure out something 

instead all we hear about is how needs a better line 

he needs to execute at a basic level this is the NFL not the pac 12 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

That's a very generous way of putting it, lmfao.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:41 AM, Klecko73isGod said:

Benigno is still employed? I thought he was dead.

Crazier yet someone still listens to sport radio and specifically the ravings of some old coot in sansabelt slacks and Just for Me hair dye who looks forward to days of pitch and putt in The Villages  and 4 o clock dinner specials . 

If you are listening to FAN, STOP.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Crazier yet someone still listens to sport radio and specifically the ravings of some old coot in sansabelt slacks and Just for Me hair dye who looks forward to days of pitch and putt in The Villages  and 4 o clock dinner specials . 

If you are listening to FAN, STOP.

I was doing a lot of driving today and flicked on over to the ol’ WFAN to see what was up and it was Malusis literally yelling into the microphone about the Mets batting order for five minutes. “WHY IS GUILLORME BATTING EIGHTH” and sh*t. I do not know how or why anyone tunes into that station at this point.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

it was the same nonsense by the way, Mahomes wouldn't be Mahomes without Andy Reid 

here's an idea maybe the guy drafted at 3 overall pull his weight for once 

for my latest trick 

I predict Sam Darnold will not get an extension from the NYJ 

franchise players don't need everything around them to be perfect

they elevate the crap around them 

That's exactly what Darnold has done for the most part.  He's elevated the players around him.  This is a 4-12 offense that Darnold alone made 7-9 with a bottom 5 o-line.  For  the past 2 seasons Darnold has been the best part about this offense. Get him a real o-line and we'll be fine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was doing a lot of driving today and flicked on over to the ol’ WFAN to see what was up and it was Malusis literally yelling into the microphone about the Mets batting order for five minutes. “WHY IS GUILLORME BATTING EIGHTH” and sh*t. I do not know how or why anyone tunes into that station at this point.

WFAN is dying a slow death.  Apparently Fatcessa’s ratings didn’t improve on the sh tfest bust CMB which is why is no longer there

Beningo’s ratings are also tanking.  They keep losing to Michael Kay which is amazing because his show sucks too and he and LaGreca sound clueless unless they talk baseball 

Don’t be shocked if FAN is gone in 3-4 years

10 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

WFAN is dying a slow death.  Apparently Fatcessa’s ratings didn’t improve on the sh tfest bust CMB which is why is no longer there

Beningo’s ratings are also tanking.  They keep losing to Michael Kay which is amazing because his show sucks too and he and LaGreca sound clueless unless they talk baseball 

Don’t be shocked if FAN is gone in 3-4 years

I want to see it die. It’s depressing to see what it’s become.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You knew they were in full-on descent when they hired Carton. It was obvious they had no idea who their market was anymore.

Apparently it’s not only FAN’s ratings that are bad but also the channel has so focused on older white males as its target demo for decades now that their ad billing is sh t because their target demo is now 75 year olds living off social security and cat food

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Seriously, I dont remember a single prediction you've made thats come through

I do remember you pumping Gholston. That he was going to break out 

I do remember you arguing with me that RAnderson would never last a full season in the NFL, that he wasn't built to play football

I just cant remember the call to draft Mahomes at 6, before the draft 

12 hours ago, bitonti said:

So you think the Jets should hand the starting QB job to James Morgan? Are you advocating for an open competition or should the Jets just hand the job over to Morgan based on his sterling record at FAU and draft pedigree?

3 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Yeah, WFAN could eventually just be merged into the National network, CBS Sports Radio.  The people who drive nowadays generally don't want to listen to sports talk when there are so many options including podcasts.

WFAN is still a top 10 radio station in the US in terms of revenue. If anything in order for radio to survive/thrive in 2020 content needs to be more local focused. 

That said I do think sports talk needs to adapt with the times a bit. WFAN especially needs to cut ties with that 60-80 year old caller. The audience they are trying to attract don’t want to head talk about Mickey Mantle and Tom Seaver. 

Use the search function buddy

The fact is no one remembers correct predictions especially if they are negative ones. They remember how I used to believe in the franchise 20 years ago. I have been making negative predictions about this team since the Geno Smith Era and they have not been wrong yet

Seriously, I dont remember a single prediction you've made thats come through
I do remember you pumping Gholston. That he was going to break out 
I do remember you arguing with me that RAnderson would never last a full season in the NFL, that he wasn't built to play football
I just cant remember the call to draft Mahomes at 6, before the draft 

I think Morgan could win this job in an open competition. Because darnold stinks.

But there won't be any such competition, so Morgan will wait until Sam gets hurt. Which happens every year. At which point Sam will be wally pipped.

Remember that jd didn't pick darnold or gase and has no special loyalty to either. He did pick James Morgan tho

So you think the Jets should hand the starting QB job to James Morgan? Are you advocating for an open competition or should the Jets just hand the job over to Morgan based on his sterling record at FAU and draft pedigree?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

I think Morgan could win this job in an open competition. Because darnold stinks.

But there won't be any such competition, so Morgan will wait until Sam gets hurt. Which happens every year. At which point Sam will be wally pipped.

Remember that jd didn't pick darnold or gase and has no special loyalty to either. He did pick James Morgan tho

When was Darnold hurt last year?

Viruses are injuries, theyre viruses.  

Hes had one injury that has kept him out of games, maybe.  Even the foot injury his rookie year is questionable.  Many thought it was an excuse to give him a couple of weeks to sit back and watch. 

I know all about who JD picked and how 22 year old FQBs who were taken top 5 arent replaced with a day two QB because a fan on a message board says it.  I wanted Morgan, called for him right before his name was called, but he was drafted by JD to back up Darnold.  No one in the Jets FO is looking to replace Darnold because he was drafted by Macc.  

Unlike those who after two years have forgotten that Sam was considered and for good reason. That you think hes got average talent, that you cant see the size, speed and arm to be a top QB just makes you another instant gratification seeking fan.