Raiders playing chess while the rest of the league plays checkers

I applaud this. 

Getting people mentally prepared for adversity is a huge deal. Do you think Navy Seals go into training with their trainers using kid gloves? Nope. 

Anyone thinking tactical moves like these are inappropriate or fringe needs to take a breath and think deeper about it. 

• WTF? 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I applaud this. 

Getting people mentally prepared for adversity is a huge deal. Do you think Navy Seals go into training with their trainers using kid gloves? Nope. 

Anyone thinking tactical moves like these are inappropriate or fringe needs to take a breath and think deeper about it. 

Tactical? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Tactical? 

Yes.

Use of the word is not relegated to military planning alone. They made a decision that was for the purpose of mentally preparing their players in the event that they received the same news at an inopportune moment during the season. 

b: adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

2 hours ago, JTJet said:

Yes.

Use of the word is not relegated to military planning alone. They made a decision that was for the purpose of mentally preparing their players in the event that they received the same news at an inopportune moment during the season. 

b: adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

Adroit?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The genius is that if you think your coach is a reanimated corpse, you will play harder for him because you have no excuses.

Corpse or doll?

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The Art of War, perhaps?  This is stupid sh*t.  The most it will tell the Raiders is if the players think their $100M coach makes a difference.  The idea that it will prepare the players for adversity during the season, or relates in any way to the training of Navy Seals is so insane that the reanimated corpse of Al Davis laughs at it.

If you truly think I was relating it to the level of the Seals instead of using an example, I really dont know what to tell you. 

It will help soften the blow if the Raiders do experience something similar mid season, this is a simple fact of human psychology. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-release-running-back-jeremy-hill-two-days-after-signing

Raiders release running back Jeremy Hill two days after signing 

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000
Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Jeremy Hill's quest to return to an NFL field in the fall began Monday when he signed with the Raiders.

Their union ended Wednesday with his release from the team.

Hill last played a down of regular-season football in 2018 with the New England Patriots, appearing in one game with the team before a torn ACL ended his season after just one week. He spent all of 2019 out of the NFL, but appeared poised for a surprise return with his Monday signing with Las Vegas.

Hill wasn't long for the Silver and Black, though, finding himself unemployed again just two days later.

Hill's struggles with fumbling -- nine in four seasons, including one that contributed to a heartbreaking playoff loss for the Bengals in 2015 -- ended his time in Cincinnati at the conclusion of his rookie contract. The former second-round pick out of LSU hasn't played more than seven games since 2016 and turns 28 in October.

9 hours ago, JTJet said:

If you truly think I was relating it to the level of the Seals instead of using an example, I really dont know what to tell you. 

It will help soften the blow if the Raiders do experience something similar mid season, this is a simple fact of human psychology. 

Soften the blow?  It is equivalent to a lame April Fool's prank.  I do apologize for allowing @T0mShane to put reanimated corpses in my head.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-release-running-back-jeremy-hill-two-days-after-signing

Raiders release running back Jeremy Hill two days after signing 

Headshot_Author_Nick-shook_1400x1000
Nick Shook

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

Jeremy Hill's quest to return to an NFL field in the fall began Monday when he signed with the Raiders.

Their union ended Wednesday with his release from the team.

Hill last played a down of regular-season football in 2018 with the New England Patriots, appearing in one game with the team before a torn ACL ended his season after just one week. He spent all of 2019 out of the NFL, but appeared poised for a surprise return with his Monday signing with Las Vegas.

Hill wasn't long for the Silver and Black, though, finding himself unemployed again just two days later.

Hill's struggles with fumbling -- nine in four seasons, including one that contributed to a heartbreaking playoff loss for the Bengals in 2015 -- ended his time in Cincinnati at the conclusion of his rookie contract. The former second-round pick out of LSU hasn't played more than seven games since 2016 and turns 28 in October.

This is like Fischer sacrificing his queen against Byrne in the Gruenfeld Defense. Adroit and maliciously deep.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Soften the blow?  It is equivalent to a lame April Fool's prank.  I do apologize for allowing @T0mShane to put reanimated corpses in my head.

Sorry Dom, he’s actually right about this. I just finished reading Awesome Stuff Navy SEALs Do (written by one of the guys who killed bin Laden) and in the chapter on Hell Week, he said one of the tricks they do is a guy runs out on the beach where they’re all doing pushups and says the CEO of the Navy is sick in the hospital and might even die. He said all the guys got really sad and wondered if they should go on or just give up. But then the CEO popped out and they went “hey!” and they all ran up and hugged him and had a good laugh about it. The guy said when he was out killing bin Laden he got scared but then he thought about that story and felt better

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

He literally is Michael Scott.

For his next trick, Gruden will announce that Derek Carr, Henry Ruggs, Darren Waller, Clelin Ferrell, Maxx Crosby, the entire starting Offensive Line and secondary have all decided to opt out.  Then 3 days later be like "jk lol".

What a bunch of absolute asshats.  This sort of tactic has been tarred and feathered by experienced and *successful* administrators the word over.  Only a virgin or a three alarm head case pulls this sort of crap.  It goes counter to fostering an atmosphere of trust and respect.  It does not inspire people to go out of their way for you.  It does not "toughen people up".  It does not get people focused.   It goes a long way towards getting people wound up with no benefit what so ever.   What a bunch of lightweight fools. 

PRO FOOTBALL TALK user responses to “Report: Raiders told players Jon Gruden had COVID-19 to test how they’d react"

wheywheyprotein says:

That’s psychotic

cajunaise says:

Surefire way to earn the trust of your players: lie to them.

johncoctostan says:

That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

BuckyBadger says:

Trying to find truth with lies is always folly.

nirrad4417 says:

What a stupid thing to do! I would think most people wouldn’t be surprised with anyone getting COVID-19. Preparing grown men by pretending to have isn’t cool on any level.

50Stars says:

I didnt take it as a prank. I saw it as a test to make sure the players understood it can happen to anyone. The Raiders are playing chess fools. Coronavirus is just like the common cold or flu.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

PRO FOOTBALL TALK user responses to “Report: Raiders told players Jon Gruden had COVID-19 to test how they’d react"

wheywheyprotein says:

That’s psychotic

cajunaise says:

Surefire way to earn the trust of your players: lie to them.

johncoctostan says:

That’s about the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

BuckyBadger says:

Trying to find truth with lies is always folly.

nirrad4417 says:

What a stupid thing to do! I would think most people wouldn’t be surprised with anyone getting COVID-19. Preparing grown men by pretending to have isn’t cool on any level.

50Stars says:

I didnt take it as a prank. I saw it as a test to make sure the players understood it can happen to anyone. The Raiders are playing chess fools. Coronavirus is just like the common cold or flu.

The last guy is truly a moron/Raiders fan. Or a Raiders fan moron.  Or maybe they're the same thing.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

50Stars says:

Just wait until DC and Puerto Rico get statehood in February, “50Stars.” Then we’ll see who’s laughing. 

• Haha 2