A safety that covers, creates turnovers and has a good attitude, the anti-Adams

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Right. I guess McDougald just missed the Pro Bowl and being a First Team All Pro the last two years. The guy is a legend. We should have just taken him straight up for Adams and been high fiving JD for taking Seattle to the cleaners. 

Even better. JD bamboozled Seattle into giving him to us along with two firsts and a third.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea it was in the thread title.

I'm sure this guy that no one ever heard of who the Seahawks threw into their bouquet of picks to acquire Adams is much better than Jamal. I'm glad we finally got our guy and we can move along from a thread for ever tweet Adams makes.

That certainly would be nice...either way, I will lose zero sleep...and I wish the same for you.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

This is the only Adams take that truly bothers me.  Adams was good in coverage.  That isn't even really debatable.

I'm glad he's gone, I'm glad we got a huge haul for him, and I'll be glad when I don't have to read about him anymore.

But the notion that he wasn't good in coverage is and was silly.

Gregg Williams sent him on a blitz 90x last year (10th most in the league) and he only had 1 INT and 7 Pass Deflections.

Our best DC in years didn't want him covering people and whatever coverage skills he has just doesn't show up in the numbers.  

I'm tired of the Jets' "best players" being guys who have these hidden skills that aren't self-evident.  Like Leonard Williams' ability to "almost" get to QB's or Quinnen Williams' secret explosiveness. 

I really don't care if Jamal Adams could cover RBs and TEs well based on PFF's data or QB completion % against numbers.  He didn't make plays.  Period.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I think people use "bad in coverage" as a proxy for "didn't create turnovers," which is really the bigger issue. 

Yes I think that's probably the case.  Agree on both accounts actually.  I think it's very hard to "change" a game from his position without creating lots of turnovers.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Gregg Williams sent him on a blitz 90x last year (10th most in the league) and he only had 1 INT and 7 Pass Deflections.

Our best DC in years didn't want him covering people and whatever coverage skills he has just doesn't show up in the numbers.  

I'm tired of the Jets' "best players" being guys who have these hidden skills that aren't self-evident.  Like Leonard Williams' ability to "almost" get to QB's or Quinnen Williams' secret explosiveness. 

I really don't care if Jamal Adams could cover RBs and TEs well based on PFF's data or QB completion % against numbers.  He didn't make plays.  Period.

The blitz stuff is just a non starter for me.  You say it's because he can't cover.  Well if he blitzed 90 times last year, that leaves probably somewhere north of 300 coverage snaps.  I'd say it's more of an indicator of our other pass rushers than it is of Adams coverage skills.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Carroll LOVES Safeties.  His defense is almost built around that position.  Earl and Kam were his glory years.  Now he's trying to replicate that and he pretty much has to that extent.  Whether it will be enough in today's league remains to be seen, but if any team was going to target Jamal, it was SEA.

You could argue that Jamal represents more than a 20% improvement there.  But if they don't win a S.B. in the next 2 seasons, then in retrospect, it wasn't a great move for SEA.  They are pushing all their chips in now for '20 and '21.  

he's tryan recreate that w/  safeties that are not near as good...  jajajajajaja

adams isnt as good as victor green much less kam

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Nice piece from Cimini on Bradley McDougald

Today, 05:40 PM

"One of my biggest strengths is my cover skills," McDougald said. "I like to match up on the other team's best tight end and follow him around, and try to be as disruptive as possible. I've had some success against some of the biggest-name tight ends in the game."

Based solely on what I've read on JN and a few draft sites, between Maye, Davis and McDougald we should have solid help on the back-end to take some pressure off of our below-average CBs. Would love to see film breakdown or numbers on the above.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The blitz stuff is just a non starter for me.  You say it's because he can't cover.  Well if he blitzed 90 times last year, that leaves probably somewhere north of 300 coverage snaps.  I'd say it's more of an indicator of our other pass rushers than it is of Adams coverage skills.  

It says that Adams doesn't make plays like a ballhawking Safety, so might as well send him on a lot of blitzes with our lack of pass rushers.  That's what it said last year under GW, at least.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Agreed. He was actually above average in coverage and played coverage a lot. That he was asked to blitz because he's an elite blitzer from the secondary should not be to his detriment. In coverage, certain posters will point to 1 of 3 plays where JA got beat in his three years here, but again, that percentage should be highlighted, not used to his detriment.

My biggest problem with him was always his inability to be a game changer. I haven't checked but going off memory, I'd be willing to bet that many of his sacks came on non-passing downs (1st downs, 2nd and less than 7 downs, 3rd and less than 4 downs), and both of his career ints had no material impact on the outcome of the games. For that, I'm extremely pleased with the trade. But I agree with your premise that the extra hate about his ability in coverage are complete BS. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

McDonain now for '20 and '21.  

This is no joke.  Just recently they have drafted (2017) Delano Hill (3), Tedric Thompson (4), Michael Tyson (6), 2018 Tre Flowers (5), 2019 Marquise Blair (2) and Ugo Amadi (4).  That is in addition to paying McDougald a pretty nice contract, and trading with the Lions to take on Quandre Diggs hefty deal.  They also traded 7ths to the Raiders for Shalom Luani (2018) and tweener LB/S Dewey McDonald (2017).  Strange they went after so many guys that had been with the Raiders (Neiko Thorpe was also there) but I guess they both love measurables.  When you consider all that outlay over the last 3 or 4 years trying to replace Chancellor and Thomas, at least they are solidified.  Like the Jets paying Faneca after that disgrace at LG in 2007.  

I don't think it was a good move on their part, but they probably see it as solving a problem they were having a tough time with and I am sure that they are confident they can fill their other holes more cheaply.  Their roster is pretty solid and I think they will have a pretty good shot.  They probably look at it like trading for and paying Duane Brown - yes it was picks and a bunch of money, but they don't have to worry about that for now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is just lazy, Pac.  I expect better.

Come hell or high water you and the other humorless jokers will try to convince smart people that McDougald is nearly as good as Adams.  It was funny at first when I thought you were trolling but holy crap some if you are being sincere!  

• Upvote 1