Jump to content
Claymation

College players opting out in the 2020 season

Recommended Posts

Rousseau opted out. Potential Jets target next year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're going to end up being glad to have those two first rounders, from the looks of it.  Plenty of talent is going to be available in the 2021 draft, regardless of how many college football games are played in 2020. 

Just need our GM and scouts to be on point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I would love Rondale Moore in green and white.  He's pure electricity.  If Mims can reach his potential, a pairing of Mims and Moore would be mind blowing. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moore’s my guy thus far in this draft class. I think there’s a chance he slides a bit since he’s small and only shown he can be healthy and productive one of his two college seasons but man his highlights are a blast to watch. Not thinking he slides to round two or anything crazy but I thought he could’ve worked himself into top 10 type consideration with a big year and now maybe he’s around with the Seattle pick which would be an absolute coup.

I think he’s absolutely perfect for the Jets who desperately need a centerpiece in the passing game. Great speed, slot guy, can get downfield or make plays after the catch. He’d be the ideal addition to that WR group as an inside guy who can get loose after the catch but also burn guys downfield. Was a high volume player as a freshman, manufacture touches type guy. Really fits the explosiveness mindset that Douglas seems to have.

The explosiveness is great but what really sold me on him is that he’s strong for his size and does not go down easily. He’s got some awesome highlight plays against Ohio State and Wisconsin where he just bounces off of dudes. Really fun to watch. The other thing is that he was insanely productive, did it as a freshman in the Big Ten and did it on a relatively bad team. He really elevated that Purdue offense. I think he’s a special talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, derp said:

Moore’s my guy thus far in this draft class. I think there’s a chance he slides a bit since he’s small and only shown he can be healthy and productive one of his two college seasons but man his highlights are a blast to watch. Not thinking he slides to round two or anything crazy but I thought he could’ve worked himself into top 10 type consideration with a big year and now maybe he’s around with the Seattle pick which would be an absolute coup.

I think he’s absolutely perfect for the Jets who desperately need a centerpiece in the passing game. Great speed, slot guy, can get downfield or make plays after the catch. He’d be the ideal addition to that WR group as an inside guy who can get loose after the catch but also burn guys downfield. Was a high volume player as a freshman, manufacture touches type guy. Really fits the explosiveness mindset that Douglas seems to have.

The explosiveness is great but what really sold me on him is that he’s strong for his size and does not go down easily. He’s got some awesome highlight plays against Ohio State and Wisconsin where he just bounces off of dudes. Really fun to watch. The other thing is that he was insanely productive, did it as a freshman in the Big Ten and did it on a relatively bad team. He really elevated that Purdue offense. I think he’s a special talent.

I think he will absolutely be available in the 2nd round.  A lot will depend on what exactly he measure in at.   He’s listed at 5’9” 180 by Purdue,  my guess is that he’s shy of those numbers and if that’s the case I don’t see him going in the first.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I think he will absolutely be available in the 2nd round.  A lot will depend on what exactly he measure in at.   He’s listed at 5’9” 180 by Purdue,  my guess is that he’s shy of those numbers and if that’s the case I don’t see him going in the first.   

It’s certainly possible but I’d be surprised. I realize he’s going on freshman production alone, but it was insane production and not like he was the beneficiary of a great offense. All the metrics that predict success - the age adjusted market share, breakout, etc are going to love him. Plus the direction that the league is going, speed is emphasized more and size less. And even though those changes are recent, Tavon Austin went in the first (in a horrible draft) as an older dude at 5’8 170ish.

All that said you could certainly be right. We’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 more notable opt outs coming in today:  Michigan State OT Jordan Reid (# 444 NFL prospect per thedraftnetwork.com) and Maryland starting QB Josh Jackson.

Maryland had several other players opt out as well of varying significance.  UNC has also lost 3 key members of its secondary.

 

The updated full list to date:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-college-football-player-opt-outs-michigan-state-ol-jordan-reid-latest-to-skip-season/live/

Players to opt out

  • DJ Ford, DB, North Carolina
  • Bryce Watts, DB, North Carolina
  • Javon Terry, DB, North Carolina
  • Ben Wyatt, LS, Duke
  • Jacob Rimmer, OL, Duke
  • Jalen Alexander, DL, Marland
  • Austin Fontaine, OL, Maryland
  • Johnny Jordan, OL, Maryland
  • Josh Jackson, QB, Maryland
  • Vincent Flythe, DB, Maryland
  • TJ Kautai, LB, Maryland
  • Jordan Reid, OL, Michigan State
  • Cooper Dawson, DL, Syracuse
  • Chandler Wooten, LB, Auburn
  • Rondale Moore, WR, Purdue (story)
  • Gregory Rousseau, DL, Miami (story)
  • Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State (story)
  • Jordan Rhodes, OL, South Carolina
  • Mark Fox, OL, South Carolina
  • Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota (story)
  • Kassidy Woods, WR, Washington State (story)
  • Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech (story)
  • Ra'Von Bonner, RB, Illinois
  • Oren Milstein, K, Vanderbilt
  • Kevin Doyle, QB, Arizona
  • Jomaious Williams, DL, New Mexico State
  • Jacub Panasiuk, DE, Michigan State

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2 more notable opt outs coming in today:  Michigan State OT Jordan Reid (# 444 NFL prospect per thedraftnetwork.com)

 

A note regarding Reid:  He says he intends to return to play for Michigan State in 2021.

Michigan St DE Jacub Panasiuk and Auburn LB Chandler Wooten also intend to play college ball in 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far no one from a program that has a legit shot of winning a  National Championship has opted out yet.   We’ll see if that holds true as we get closer to games.   
 

It also bears watching if guys bail on the season after it starts.   I don’t believe there is a cut off date, as guys could simply say they are out at any time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So far no one from a program that has a legit shot of winning a  National Championship has opted out yet.   We’ll see if that holds true as we get closer to games.   
 

It also bears watching if guys bail on the season after it starts.   I don’t believe there is a cut off date, as guys could simply say they are out at any time.  

 

There's a fairly long way to go until the first games.  I know there are tentatively games scheduled for Aug 29, and I the Big 10 is supposed to start their season on the week of Aug 31-Sep 5, but just about everyone else starts at least a week later. 

Hell, the SEC won't start until Sep 26 (along with the PAC-10, of course).  The C-USA and MAC still haven't announced their intended schedule yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

So far no one from a program that has a legit shot of winning a  National Championship has opted out yet.   We’ll see if that holds true as we get closer to games.   
 

It also bears watching if guys bail on the season after it starts.   I don’t believe there is a cut off date, as guys could simply say they are out at any time.  

I don't want to jinx you, but I'm surprised T Law hasn't opted out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I don't want to jinx you, but I'm surprised T Law hasn't opted out. 

I love watching Clemson, even though I’m a Cuse fan.

But yeah, if I were advising Lawrence and Fields, I’d have them both opt out. Nothing for either to prove, and why risk injury if you don’t have to.

Just train all year, and work on what you need to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see the full college season working out.  Why should it besides to enrich the schools?  These players don’t get paid, many have no access to medical treatment if they get the Rona, unlike NFL players who get paid lots of money and can get treated 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, maury77 said:

I don't want to jinx you, but I'm surprised T Law hasn't opted out. 

I’m not surprised he hasn’t, that’s not his nature.   We’ll see what this season becomes, if they start playing then have to cancel games later and the whole season gets out of whack then I could see guys just saying it’s not happening this year and bail on the season.   If there is a legit pathway to a National Championship then guys will stick it out.  Once teams are out of it then we may see more guys opt out like we do for bowl seasons.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Lawrence officially decided not to opt out. Gutsy move by a guy that is virtually guaranteed to be the #1 overall pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beginning to see a lot of posts like these popping up on the internet today.  May not be a college football season at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lith said:

Beginning to see a lot of posts like these popping up on the internet today.  May not be a college football season at all.

 

What is the draft going to look like next year? Maybe Seattle actually knew what it was doing. 2 #1 picks in a draft turned on its ear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

What is the draft going to look like next year? Maybe Seattle actually knew what it was doing. 2 #1 picks in a draft turned on its ear. 

At least we have that 2022 #1, at least things should be back to normal for next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lith said:

At least we have that 2022 #1, at least things should be back to normal for next season.

Might be tougher moving up next year offering the 2 picks. Picks in the top 10 will be the safe picks with lots of film to back it up. As you get to the late round there will be a lot more “eenie-meenie-miney-mo“ selections.Choose And You GIF by reactionseditor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Obviously it’s not ideal, but it won’t be like these guys will picking blind.  Scouting departments obviously make evals based on tape but the really good ones are also plugged into the people surrounding these programs and get a ton of info and intel from them.   These guys have watched these players since they were freshman in high school, if I can see how these players have developed over the last 5 or so years, I’m sure professional scouting departments can.  

I doubt freshman year, too many kids, but by junior & senior years the cream has risen to the top. That said, that only applies to the top 50 or so players. There will be a lot of players opting into the draft this year. Missing film for an entire year would make proper evaluation of underclass men difficult 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Obviously it’s not ideal, but it won’t be like these guys will picking blind.  Scouting departments obviously make evals based on tape but the really good ones are also plugged into the people surrounding these programs and get a ton of info and intel from them.   These guys have watched these players since they were freshman in high school, if I can see how these players have developed over the last 5 or so years, I’m sure professional scouting departments can.  

I agree.  I don't thnk the Power 5 guys will be hurt to badly.  Scouts have been following these guys for years, plenty of game tape available.  I would think it is the smaller school guys who will be impacted.  Will a Kyle Dugger, or Ali Marpet or Nathan Shehpherd have a chance to be seen.  Don't knoe if there will be a Shrine Game or Senior Bowl where these guys get their first chance to compete against Power 5 prospects.  Even if these games are played, I can't see the small school guys getting the same opporutnity to be in these games if their seasons are cancelled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I agree.  I don't thnk the Power 5 guys will be hurt to badly.  Scouts have been following these guys for years, plenty of game tape available.  I would think it is the smaller school guys who will be impacted.  Will a Kyle Dugger, or Ali Marpet or Nathan Shehpherd have a chance to be seen.  Don't knoe if there will be a Shrine Game or Senior Bowl where these guys get their first chance to compete against Power 5 prospects.  Even if these games are played, I can't see the small school guys getting the same opporutnity to be in these games if their seasons are cancelled.

Private workouts will go through the roof before this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Obviously it’s not ideal, but it won’t be like these guys will picking blind.  Scouting departments obviously make evals based on tape but the really good ones are also plugged into the people surrounding these programs and get a ton of info and intel from them.   These guys have watched these players since they were freshman in high school, if I can see how these players have developed over the last 5 or so years, I’m sure professional scouting departments can.  

I think this is the case for our top 50ish prospects but once you start moving down the list from there, I think a scouts job preparing for the 2021 draft is going to be very challenging.

And this is where I feel bad for the students.  Those guy who might need this year to move say into the 1st or the 2nd from the 2nd or 3rd...that's a lot of money.  Life changing in some cases and not getting to put that year on tape could be the difference.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JiF said:

I think this is the case for our top 50ish prospects but once you start moving down the list from there, I think a scouts job preparing for the 2021 draft is going to be very challenging.

And this is where I feel bad for the students.  Those guy who might need this year to move say into the 1st or the 2nd from the 2nd or 3rd...that's a lot of money.  Life changing in some cases and not getting to put that year on tape could be the difference.  

These guys know a lot more about guys who aren’t necessarily in the top 50 though.  It’s a challenge no doubt.  
 

Where this will really be interesting is the trickle down effect on recruiting and the 2021 classes.  If there is no season, guys will be granted another season of eligibility if they want.   You will have a lot of players not moving on and thus not freeing up the scholarship spots for the 2021 class.  Hopefully they won’t count the returning players towards the scholarship limits.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

These guys know a lot more about guys who aren’t necessarily in the top 50 though.  It’s a challenge no doubt.  
 

Where this will really be interesting is the trickle down effect on recruiting and the 2021 classes.  If there is no season, guys will be granted another season of eligibility if they want.   You will have a lot of players not moving on and thus not freeing up the scholarship spots for the 2021 class.  Hopefully they won’t count the returning players towards the scholarship limits.  

Sure, so do a lot of us.  Still going to make their job more challenging...

What will be interesting is will they have the postseason invite/camps, Senior Bow, Shire game, etc.  That could be crucial for those guys fighting to move up a round or 2 and evaluators.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think having Phil Savage (who was running the Senior Bowl for many years and is very plugged into the schools) is going to be a nice benefit this year. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a FYI from out West - High school football in Arizona is currently a go.  I have a freshman who has been doing nothing but conditioning and working out with coaches and teammates 6-10ft. apart twice a week since mid-July.  They're out there at 5:45AM because of the Arizona heat....no footballs, no helmets, temperature checks upon arrival, a COVID questionnaire and wearing masks through the building until they get out to the field.  But next week they're entering a new phase based on much better local COVID data and guidance from the AIA, the state highs school sports governing body.  The season is expected to start 5 weeks late around at the beginning of October....we'll see what happens.

Imagine a world where there's no college football season but we have some degree of high school and the NFL to entertain us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just a FYI from out West - High school football in Arizona is currently a go.  I have a freshman who has been doing nothing but conditioning and working out with coaches and teammates 6-10ft. apart twice a week since mid-July.  They're out there at 5:45AM because of the Arizona heat....no footballs, no helmets, temperature checks upon arrival, a COVID questionnaire and wearing masks through the building until they get out to the field.  But next week they're entering a new phase based on much better local COVID data and guidance from the AIA, the state highs school sports governing body.  The season is expected to start 5 weeks late around at the beginning of October....we'll see what happens.

Imagine a world where there's no college football season but we have some degree of high school and the NFL to entertain us!

What’s funny is that in a state like Pennsylvania you’ll have high school football playing, Steelers and Eagles playing, Pitt in the ACC conference playing but Penn State in the Big 10 not playing.   Weird dynamics at play right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peneii Sewell opted out.  Highest rated OL in PFF history.  Top two draft prospect.  If we somehow got him this Oregon fan would be doing cartwheels.  But my fear is he ends up playing for the Washington Football Franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...