College players opting out in the 2020 season

Claymation

Ohio State’s Wyatt Davis opts out with the Big Ten’s uncertainty. Potential first round guard.

Really interested to see what Douglas’ plan on the OL is. Continuity is so key and in a year where he mostly gave out one year deals, this starting line is signed through 2022.

Flip side of course is he’s got clean outs for Lewis, Fant, and Van Roten after this year.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, derp said:

Ohio State’s Wyatt Davis opts out with the Big Ten’s uncertainty. Potential first round guard.

Really interested to see what Douglas’ plan on the OL is. Continuity is so key and in a year where he mostly gave out one year deals, this starting line is signed through 2022.

Flip side of course is he’s got clean outs for Lewis, Fant, and Van Roten after this year.

We need to keep building the line into being a great unit , not a passable unit.  I want him to go OG or tackle again with one of our 1st next year.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We need to keep building the line into being a great unit , not a passable unit.  I want him to go OG or tackle again with one of our 1st next year.

I agree and disagree. I’d like to see him continue building the line and investing seriously in it. That said, continuity is so important. If it’s a top half of the league line and  he can run that back for two years I’d get it. Depends so much how this year goes.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, derp said:

I agree and disagree. I’d like to see him continue building the line and investing seriously in it. That said, continuity is so important. If it’s a top half of the league line and  he can run that back for two years I’d get it. Depends so much how this year goes.

With many players not adding tape this year due to cancellations, once you get into the mid-to-late rounds, injury history, explosive RAS scores and ST ability will be looked at more closely. Bust potential next year will be at an all-time high after the first 2 rounds. You need to make picks pay off even if they fail to make starting lineup. ST value, IMO, will be given greater attention. We cant have another 2014/2015 draft class again.

15 hours ago, Beerfish said:

All depends on how this season plays out.  If Becton is a stud and either Fant or Edoga prove that they can be solid starters, then there is no need to invest a premoum resource in tackle.  And Mcgovern has been a solid C in Denver, I would expect him to play well.  I agree with you on the guard position, it probably can be upgraded as we currently have two journeymen (Van Roten & Lewis) and an unproven rookie (Clark).  But if all goes well, we could be set at T and C and just be looking for depth pieces &/or deveopmental guys.

21 hours ago, derp said:

I think as it becomes more and more clear that the Big10 and Pac12 aren’t going to play, more and more of these players will be declaring.  For some guys like Sewell from Oregon, it won’t matter much.  But for most guys it’s going to hurt a little by not being able to put anything on tape.  

55 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Looks like Rashad Bateman of Minnesota is opting back in and will play this year.  

Thanks for this post.  I have been so out of it, that I did not realize the Big 10 had voted to start their season in October.  Just waiting on the Pac 12 now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Thanks for this post.  I have been so out of it, that I did not realize the Big 10 had voted to start their season in October.  Just waiting on the Pac 12 now.

I’m sure the Pac12 will come around.   At least we’ll have some tape on these players going into draft season next year.  

What’s  going to be a s**t show is selecting the playoff teams this year.   Big10 only playing 8 games, conference only.  ACC playing 11 plus a conference championship.  SEC playing a 10 game conference only with a conference championship game. Going to be A LOT of politicking come December.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m sure the Pac12 will come around.   At least we’ll have some tape on these players going into draft season next year.  

What’s  going to be a s**t show is selecting the playoff teams this year.   Big10 only playing 8 games, conference only.  ACC playing 11 plus a conference championship.  SEC playing a 10 game conference only with a conference championship game. Going to be A LOT of politicking come December.  

Right now, I don't even care about the playoff (that may change if we start out 4-0 after beating Auburn, Tenn and Bama in weeks 2-4) . 

Just looking forward to watching college (and pro) football over the next few months.  The one positive to this season, with the late starts, is that the college season will run through December--assuming no major Covid disruptions.  It won't end in early December and have 4-6 week delays until the Bowl games.  At least for certain conferences.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Rondale Moore is opting back in for Purdue.   He really needed to play this year due to missing most of last year to injury.  

Agree. Still a big fan.

Not on topic but say the Jets’ are sitting at #1. How do you feel about Lawrence as a Jet - both as a Jets fan and a Clemson fan?

On 9/24/2020 at 6:49 PM, sec101row23 said:

Rondale Moore is opting back in for Purdue.   He really needed to play this year due to missing most of last year to injury.  

I absolutely love this guy, he would be an excellent complementary pick to Mims.  Not sure how long he lasts but with our second 1st he would be a steal.