Jets fans will get to see a better Le'Veon Bell in 2020, the lighter version.

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It would be such an amazing story if Bell comes out and puts up 1,200 yards of offense. It’s almost shocking that he hasn’t been a malcontent pain in the ass with everything going on around him. You’d almost like to see him rewarded with a good season behind what is, on paper, a passable offensive line and a (presumably) improved Darnold.

You mean Gase's leadership?

• Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s a nice story but he’s finished.  Guys don’t get faster as they get older.

Bell’s done.

Straight line speed was never really his game.  He very well may be done but losing a step won't be the sole reason.  

Still a bad signing.  Which makes it interesting why you're the one pointing this out about Bell:  Le'Veon Bell was exactly the kind of signing you always advocate, no?

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Straight line speed was never really his game.  He very well may be done but losing a step won't be the sole reason.  

Still a bad signing.  Which makes it interesting why you're the one pointing this out about Bell:  Le'Veon Bell was exactly the kind of signing you always advocate, no?

I was on board with the signing for sure.  But I didn’t realize how much of his burst he lost in the year off.  

Wether I liked the signing or not doesn’t make it a good one.  Bottom line is, he’s too slow to be an effective NFL RB anymore.  I don’t care what type of game he had.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was on board with the signing for sure.  But I didn’t realize how much of his burst he lost in the year off.  

Wether I liked the signing or not doesn’t make it a good one.  Bottom line is, he’s too slow to be an effective NFL RB anymore.  I don’t care what type of game he had.

Sure, but then that doesn't explain you think Jack Conklin and Graham Glasgow were good signings but McGovern and Van Roten weren't?  

All 4 players I listed above were dumped by their teams for a reason.  Just like Bell was let go by Pittsburgh for a reason.  That's what I've been trying to explain all offseason.  Almost all FA signings end up disappointing.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure, but then that doesn't explain you think Jack Conklin and Graham Glasgow were good signings but McGovern and Van Roten weren't?  

All 4 players I listed above were dumped by their teams for a reason.  Just like Bell was let go by Pittsburgh for a reason.  That's what I've been trying to explain all offseason.  Almost all FA signings end up disappointing.  

I don’t disagree  most teams, unlike the Jets, keep their good players  

I like the McGovern signing.  GVR is fine but he’s a back up talent.  
there was Conklin, there was Peters, heck keeping Beachum and/or Shell would be an upgrade.  
There was a way to upgrade the OL this off season.  JD chose not to and decided a full-on rebuild was the way to go. Again, it’s fine if that’s his plan - I just don’t agree with it.

I believe, had we honestly tried to build the best oline possible and grab the best weapons possible this team could have competed this year. I have faith in Sam. Teams turn around fast with great QB play.  We chose to let Sam get beat up another year.  Hopefully it just doesn’t ruin him.  

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, FidelioJet said:

I've seen this guy play going back to Michigan State.

He wasn't really explosive in Lansing, or in his rookie year in Pittsburgh.  He was reliable, able to carry large workloads, and has always been versatile as a receiver.

But he added another gear and took his game to a stratospheric level in year two when he slimmed down from the 6 pack, to the 8 pack physique.

It's coming...

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Curtis Martin lost his burst around the 2001 season... and still had two 1,500 yard seasons after that. Bell has much more left.

It really is all about a good line, and commitment by the coaching staff to run it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

5 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I've mentioned this a few times, "to watch out for reports in camp if Bell was in better shape."  He was in good condition last season, but 10-15 pounds over his optimal playing weight.

Gase said it, and Connor Hughes has confirmed it.   "Extremely motivated... and working out like a madman."

He is gonna play in excellent shape this year.  The doubters will see the burst they believe he has lost.

i sure hope so. cos he literally looked slower than every other back in the nfl.

and maybe he's slimdown and motivated cos he knows he coulda done a bit better if he was lighter last year??

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It would be such an amazing story if Bell comes out and puts up 1,200 yards of offense. It’s almost shocking that he hasn’t been a malcontent pain in the ass with everything going on around him. You’d almost like to see him rewarded with a good season behind what is, on paper, a passable offensive line and a (presumably) improved Darnold.

Almost? It passed shocking by mid season

And 100%, rooting for the guy. If OP is right and he was 10-15 lbs too heavy last year that could explain him looking a bit sluggish 

• Upvote 3

In that 2017 season...the Steelers over utilized and abused Bell.  321 carries...106 passing targets with 85 receptions.  His carry average the previous three years was 4.7; 4.9; 4.9.  Then plummeted down to 4.0.   All signs his body was DOA for 2018.

So...from what I saw last season...I concluded his leg strength and drive was gone.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Certainly hope I'm wrong. 

If Le'Veon is lighter...and determined...on a mission to show all his doubters their wrong.  Maybe he'll do just that.   

His career stats through 2017 season had Bell on track for the HOF.   Last season he went way off the rails.  He's a player with a lot of pride.   With a much improved OL in front of him.  Being in great shape and impressing everyone in camp.  Fired up with a warrior's spirit.  Could be all he needs...to get back on track...and have a great season.

And me...I'm rooting for ya Bell baby.    

• Upvote 2

Bell is motivated because he knows this regime didn't bring him in, and that in 2021 he has no guarantees left - making him easy to trade or cut. It's hard to imagine him back next year with anything short of a Christian McCaffrey-like season. And if they get that, Joe D will be fielding trade offers while the usual suspects cry about trading away, "our best players." 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Play calling had a lot to do with his failure last season, Gase ruined his season with predictable play calling and his

constant 3rd down runs behind Beach who can not block, everyone knew what play Gase was calling, its his main

liability as a coach and the reason Miami fans hate him, along with most Jet fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I've mentioned this a few times, "to watch out for reports in camp if Bell was in better shape."  He was in good condition last season, but 10-15 pounds over his optimal playing weight.

Gase said it, and Connor Hughes has confirmed it.   "Extremely motivated... and working out like a madman."

He is gonna play in excellent shape this year.  The doubters will see the burst they believe he has lost.

I'll acknowledge your enthusiasm comes from a good place. However, i told you last year this would happen. I literally said you're not getting the Bell you think you are. There's a lot of cause for concern....

"Not a chance Paradis! Bell is a world destroyer!! He is the greatest offensive weapon this team has seen in a decade"

Listen to me now; there's never been a super successful RB w/ Adam Gase. Bell won't be the 1st. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I'll acknowledge your enthusiasm comes from a good place. However, i told you last year this would happen. I literally said you're not getting the Bell you think you are. There's a lot of cause for concern....

"Not a chance Paradis! Bell is a world destroyer!! He is the greatest offensive weapon this team has seen in a decade"

Listen to me now; there's never been a super successful RB w/ Adam Gase. Bell won't be the 1st. 

I think a big part of it is the pace of the offense.  Gase has consistently ranked at the bottom of the NFL in terms of pace of play.  You have to speed up the game sometimes to keep the defense from getting into a rhythm.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Noted.  :)

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think a big part of it is the pace of the offense.  Gase has consistently ranked at the bottom of the NFL in terms of pace of play.  You have to speed up the game sometimes to keep the defense from getting into a rhythm.  

For sure, that and he inexplicably rotates backs.

And his offenses just haven't been good. 

I don't really get it. The Manning years were painted with explosive plays, fast paced play calling, and lots of deep shots... I guess that was all #18 in retrospect now... the Adam Gase of MIA/NYJ has been a Schotty's doppelganger

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

For sure, that and he inexplicably rotates backs.

And his offenses just haven't been good. 

I don't really get it. The Manning years were painted with explosive plays, fast paced play calling, and lots of deep shots... I guess that was all #18 in retrospect now... the Adam Gase of MIA/NYJ has been a Schotty's doppelganger

Yep.  Throw out the data from the Manning years.  When you look at the data with Darnold, Cutler, Tannehill, etc its mixed results at best. 

If the Jets O is going to be above average this year, it all comes down to Darnold to make that happen.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, T0mShane said:

wtf. Who wrote this sh*t? Someone's writing on T0m's account again.

• Haha 2

On 8/6/2020 at 8:21 PM, FidelioJet said:

Our oline took his burst away. Try running into your livingroom wall, your burst will slow l guarantee it.