Jetsfan80

2021 draft picks increasing in value?

20 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

If this happened identically in 2019 Bryce hall would have been a 1st-2nd rdr

Jabari Zuniga would have been A 2nd-3rd

It’s nice to have a true talent evaluation foundation in the front office with Jd, Savage and that other guy. emoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

michael strahan what GIF

• Upvote 1

I don't really see the big difference whether they opt out now or try and play the season because they would be eligible either way in 2021. The big picture is it finally looks like we have a scouting department that is going to be worth their weight in gold. With an abbreviated season, or possibly no season, and all of the opt outs this will separate the men from the boys when it comes to Front Offices and I'm happy as hell we have JD in charge.  

I agree and would Like to add that this front office has connections at these universities to give a better picture of who these players are, their talent level and understanding of the game. A guy like Savage in the FO could make this draft a franchise defining one.
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some big names in college football are opting out of the 2020 college football season and will be draft eligible in 2021.  Hence, whether a down of college football is played in 2020 or not, some top-end talent will be there for us and our two first rounders.

Some of the names opting out already, with their overall prospect ranking (from thedraftnetwork.com top 600) include:

• LB Micah Parsons, Penn State (# 3)
  • EDGE Gregory Rousseau, Miami (# 7)
  • CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech (# 9)
  • WR Rondale Moore, Purdue (# 17)
  • WR Rashod Bateman, Minnesota (# 27)
  • DE Jacub Panasiuk, Michigan State (# 361)
  • LB Chandler Wooten, Auburn (NR)
  • G Jordan Rhodes, South Carolina (NR)
  • RB Ra'Von Bonner, Illinois (NR)

With more to come!  I'll update this list as more names come through.

Nice work by you.

2 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't really see the big difference whether they opt out now or try and play the season because they would be eligible either way in 2021. The big picture is it finally looks like we have a scouting department that is going to be worth their weight in gold. With an abbreviated season, or possibly no season, and all of the opt outs this will separate the men from the boys when it comes to Front Offices and I'm happy as hell we have JD in charge.  

It scares the hell out of me personally. Like half your textbook missing before the big exam.

36 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I agree and would Like to add that this front office has connections at these universities to give a better picture of who these players are, their talent level and understanding of the game. A guy like Savage in the FO could make this draft a franchise defining one.

Agree 100%. Savage has so many connections and has probably known some of these players when they were in the womb. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Harris said:

It scares the hell out of me personally. Like half your textbook missing before the big exam.

The good news beyond our front office structure is we also have multiple high picks, so we have more shots. Two 1's, and an extra 3rd gives JD a ton of ammo to either make selections or move around, which he has already proved adept at. This F'd up college season will help the better front office staffs get a leg up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Some big names in college football are opting out of the 2020 college football season and will be draft eligible in 2021.  Hence, whether a down of college football is played in 2020 or not, some top-end talent will be there for us and our two first rounders.

Some of the names opting out already, with their overall prospect ranking (from thedraftnetwork.com top 600) include:

• LB Micah Parsons, Penn State (# 3)
  • EDGE Gregory Rousseau, Miami (# 7)
  • CB Caleb Farley, Virginia Tech (# 9)
  • WR Rondale Moore, Purdue (# 17)
  • WR Rashod Bateman, Minnesota (# 27)
  • DE Jacub Panasiuk, Michigan State (# 361)
  • LB Chandler Wooten, Auburn (NR)
  • G Jordan Rhodes, South Carolina (NR)
  • RB Ra'Von Bonner, Illinois (NR)

With more to come!  I'll update this list as more names come through.

Agreed.  Another great thing about the Adams trade.  Great Timing!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RobR said:

If they don't perform well due to the team in trouble or come down with COVID it could hurt their draft stock.

12 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I can see JD going Edge and CB with the first two picks, not making many people happy (but it is a need).  He will go WR and OL again in 2nd and 3rd.

I think Edge is a good bet for the 1st pick too. I think WR may slip in to the 2nd spot

11 hours ago, RobR said:

my earlier point exactly.  I actually feel a sense of confidence that our group already knows a bit more than the average bear about this group. 

• Upvote 3

Can’t go wrong drafing another one of the monster o lineman that’s always a safe pick. Or the edge from Miami or the WR from LSU

I feel bad for all the players who are making the tough decision to opt out.  Sitting out a full year of organized football has never really benefited anyone for the most part.

• Upvote 1

All I'm hearing what you guys are saying...is sweet music to my ears. 

JD has 11 chips to play with in the next draft.  Five in rounds 1-3.  Seven through 1-4.  Having another successful draft in 2021...like this past one...could set a foundation for perennial playoff runs like we've never seen before.    

Cherry on top...two 1st rounders in 2022.  

I truly trust JD to make the best of this precious draft capital  he's accumulated.

Thank you Jamal Adams...for giving JD and the Jets this opportunity...it's much appreciated:cheers:

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think Edge is a good bet for the 1st pick too. I think WR may slip in to the 2nd spot

I just don’t see the edge rushers worthy of a top 15 pick right now.   Edge may have better value in the 2nd and 3rd.  

12 hours ago, RobR said:

I don't really see the big difference whether they opt out now or try and play the season because they would be eligible either way in 2021. 

The difference to me is, suppose these guys didn't opt out AND the college football season got cancelled at some point.  I imagine the NCAA would have given them a year  of eligibility back, and some might have returned.

The top-end guys who have opted out are all expressly stating they're prepping for the 2021 draft.

OR, conversely, suppose some of these guys elected not to opt out.  The UCONN players, in their team statement, supported their AD's decision not to play football this year, partly because they didn't think they'd be fully prepared for the season.  Lack of preparation could lead to poor results or injuries for some of these guys, dropping their stock accordingly.  Opting out is a smart decision with that in mind.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I feel bad for all the players who are making the tough decision to opt out.  Sitting out a full year of organized football has never really benefited anyone for the most part.

Outside of Bosa.  He still went #2 and was defensive rookie of the year!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The top-end guys who have opted out are all expressly stating they're prepping for the 2021 draft.

A full year of prep?  I expect some sick workout numbers, and I bet they will start being leaked early

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, RobR said:

The good news beyond our front office structure is we also have multiple high picks, so we have more shots. Two 1's, and an extra 3rd gives JD a ton of ammo to either make selections or move around, which he has already proved adept at. This F'd up college season will help the better front office staffs get a leg up.

Are these kids going to declare if there is no season or they opt out this year?

that Miami pass rusher just opted out- I’m concerned they all stay in school to put more on tape

58 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Are these kids going to declare if there is no season or they opt out this year?

that Miami pass rusher just opted out- I’m concerned they all stay in school to put more on tape

No one can answer that question because every year we have players that should declare and end up staying for another year and vice versa.

Makes the upcoming draft a crap shoot.  With less tape available, the abilities of the scouts etc will be tested.

Here's a different view.  With a lower cap next year, teams will need to bring down roster costs.  Having extra picks will put the Jets at an advantage in the trade market.  

Why draft an unknown if teams have to cut some younger vets?

• Upvote 1

I think it means some good players will be had in later round because GM’s do not like using high picks on unknown players. There are juniors that suddenly explode and find their potential in their Senior year that may not have that opportunity. Those will be late round picks that could turn out to be beasts.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I’ve heard people say that our firsts next year have less value because there will be less tape and thus the draft will be a crap shoot.

I actually think that makes the first rounders even more valuable because it’s easier to know/scout guys with obvious first round potential vs trying to find hidden gems without tape 

• Upvote 1

More opt outs coming in.  Most notably Michigan State senior OT Jordan Reid (prospect # 444 on thedraftnetwork.com) and Maryland QB Josh Jackson.  

Jackson, a grad transfer from Virginia Tech, was expected to be the starting QB this year for Maryland.  The Terrapins have also had 2 Offensive Linemen and 3 defensive players opt out.  

Additionally, UNC has lost 3 members of its secondary.

31 minutes ago, nico002 said:

I’ve heard people say that our firsts next year have less value because there will be less tape and thus the draft will be a crap shoot.

I actually think that makes the first rounders even more valuable because it’s easier to know/scout guys with obvious first round potential vs trying to find hidden gems without tape 

I agree with you here.There already are top 50 lists based on the tape these guys have put up for the past two years. That's not gonna be the hard part. It's rounds 3-7 that will be a real test for your scouts and evaluators. Kiper had Joe Burrow as a 3-4th rounder before the season last year.

I'm not following how guys skipping the season is good for us. You have to evaluate and project based on tape from two years ago. If that was the case in 2020, Herbert would have gone #1, not burrow. Burrow would have been a fifth round pick.

10 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I'm not following how guys skipping the season is good for us. You have to evaluate and project based on tape from two years ago. If that was the case in 2020, Herbert would have gone #1, not burrow. Burrow would have been a fifth round pick.

The teams with the better front offices/scouts will be the big winners in all of this.  I have confidence in Douglas and the team he's assembled, even without a single one of his picks playing a down yet.  Therefore, I have no problem with all the opt outs/uncertainty for the 2020 CFB season.

54 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

More opt outs coming in.  Most notably Michigan State senior OT Jordan Reid (prospect # 444 on thedraftnetwork.com)

A note regarding Reid:  He says he intends to come back to play for Michigan St in 2021.

Michigan St DE Jacub Panasiuk and Auburn LB Chandler Wooten also intend to return to play college ball in 2021.

21 hours ago, Dinamite said:

I can see JD going Edge and CB with the first two picks, not making many people happy (but it is a need).  He will go WR and OL again in 2nd and 3rd.

Possibly with the right players, but I still think the 1st round will be about OL and WR. Darnold is still priority #1 

• Upvote 2

On 8/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, Dinamite said:

Wouldn't be the worst thing but I really would like to see this franchise finally draft a legit #1 WR for once.  The Colts kept drafting top-flight skill position talent in guys like Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Edgerrin James, Dallas Clark, etc for Peyton.  The Falcons drafted Julio Jones and Calvin Ridley for Matt Ryan.  I'd like to see the Jets do something similar for Sam.  If Sam is legit (and I believe he is), then we need to pair him up with a young superstar WR (or hopefully 2!) for the early part of his career to make sure we maximize what he brings to the table.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Possibly with the right players, but I still think the 1st round will be about OL and WR. Darnold is still priority #1 

If there's a top-flight OL available then I'd prefer that even over a WR.  But I fully agree that this entire team needs to be built around Sam.

I would argue the lack of a college season makes the picks less valuable. The draft will be more of crap shoot.