GreekJet

Sam Darnold looking good in camp

I'm a big Darnold fan, but let's be honest. These are throws in shorts to uncovered receivers. Routine stuff for an NFL quarterback.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

I feel like this is obvious, but apparently it needs to be stated.  Accuracy and completion percentage are two completely different concepts.

Accuracy is all about ball placement.  The quarterback puts the ball in an ideal location where only the receiver can catch it and make the most of the completion.  Some examples of accuracy would be hitting a reciever in stride, placing a ball on the back shoulder for a fade, or placing a ball low for a receiver running over the middle to reduce exposure to a big hit.  This is a very tough metric to capture and relies on the eye test and discretion of the observer.

Completion percentage is a catch rate metric.  It can be largely influenced by offensive system, quality of receivers, quality of offensive line suppressing a pass rush, and of course, quarterback accuracy.  Inaccurate passes can end up as completions, and accurate passes can end up as incompletions.  It should also be noted that historically speaking a difference of 3-4% completion percentage over a career or multiple seasons is quite a big difference.

Bottom line, using completion percentage as a comprehensive indicator of accuracy is misguided.  Using adjustments to completion percentage to compare the accuracy of two different quarterbacks is just plain silly.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Well there are metrics out there about ball placement.  I believe PFF has one.  But you have to pay to see it.  So for now, this is all we have.  Completion % when factoring in air yards per attempt and YPA is still useful. 

Yes, I saw those charts earlier in the thread.  Definitely interesting, and I would be curious to know exactly how those metrics are put together.  For example, in a back shoulder fade throw, is an accurate pass marked as "behind" which it should be by design?

In any case, I think my point is that accuracy is really something that is about ball placement and needs to be judged on a throw by throw basis.  It's not something that is comprehensively captured by completion percentage, which one particular poster seems to be harping on.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company