ESPN+ Article has Jets ranked as the worst roster in NFL

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mayfield is in year 3 as a pro QB.  Just like I have high expectations for Darnold and am not going to make excuses for him this year, Mayfield needs to produce as well.  System be damned.

Unless Mayfield implodes he will get 2 more seasons after this one. Just like Darnold and Allen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Last year we arguably had the worst roster in the NFL.  Which is why I wasn't shocked that we lost to the Bengals or the Dolphins.  Both had rosters equally good to better than what we fielded. The roster should be significantly better this year.  It's certainly a work in progress.  There have been 65 opt outs and I'm sure there will be several player quarantined who haven't opted out.  This season is likely to be even more of a war of attrition than typical NFL seasons.  

The entire league is likely to be weaker than last year.  Attrition is likely to level the playing field a lot.  Darnold was drafted to be an elite NFL QB.  If he starts to show it no reason we can't be very competitive.  If you're competitive and keep the turnovers and penalties down and play solid on special teams you can win in this league this year.  

In a dumpster fire year we should embrace our crappy roster.  Great QB play, keeping the self destructive plays to a minimum and we can win our division.  By worse it's on a very thin margin.  The NFL is full of flawed rosters where the matchups can still favor a sh*tty roster.  

Kind of where I'm at.  Darnold needs to thrive.  We see that and we have a good season.  We don't see that it could get ugly.  I don't think it will get ugly.  But what do I know.  I'm a Jets fan.

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I'm sorry but if our o-line is 19th, QB and RB need to be higher. 

This was kind of my thought. He has the OL 19th (and listed as a group to watch.) If that's the case my guess is QB, RB, and WR are all going to look much better than everyone is thinking -- those groups have really been hampered by bad offensive line play in recent years. If our offensive line approaches league average I think the offense will too.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Unless Mayfield implodes he will get 2 more seasons after this one. Just like Darnold and Allen.

That has little to do with what I'm talking about.  I'm saying that if Mayfield or Darnold struggle mightily this year, those teams will start looking for other QBs.  And rightfully so.  This is put up or shut up time.  You can't watch what guys like Mahomes, Watson and Jackson are doing in tearing up the league and just stand pat with what you have, if what you have is a below average starting QB.

Mayfield and Darnold will most certainly finish out their contracts, regardless.  But after not producing this season, Year 4 would represent a departure in that neither would be guaranteed their starting jobs going forward.

I don't think it'll come to that, at least not for Darnold, but its a possibility that can't be ignored.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Adams wasn’t that good in coverage.  2 picks in 3 years both on horrific qbs kinda speaks for itself

Totally agree. Maye is a much better defender. I'm a big Maye fan. Guy is talented. Mcdougald is a good fit too.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Claymation said:

My concern here is that JD clearly built this roster to fail this year.  Well, at least he wasn’t trying to build a winner. 
which says to me he has little faith in Darnold.  
JD may want his own QB. This may be Darnold’s last as a Jet. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

6 hours ago, GreekJet said:

This is from a very well respected insider in Mike Clay. 

He lost all credibility by saying "In fact, aside of the Quinnen Williams-led interior defensive line." There isn't one person who covers football professionally that thinks that DL was led by Quinnen Williams. Just more click-bait, ignore and move on folks. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

My concern here is that JD clearly built this roster to fail this year.  Well, at least he wasn’t trying to build a winner. 

It’s possible but I think he’s not 100% that way yet, probably 50/50. If Sam shits the bed this year I can see Joe go after his own man. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

When you're desperate for clicks, there is no better way in sports than riling up Jets fans.

No Clicky for you ESPN.

This is just a Jets fans way of justifying the negative media. The reality is there’s no bias against the Jets.  The Jets have just been bad for a very long time and save a few random years, it’s entire existence.  

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is just a Jets fans way of justifying the negative media. The reality is there’s no bias against the Jets.  The Jets have just been bad for a very long time and save a few random years, it’s entire existence.  

Yeah it’s funny coming from you ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Jetworks said:

He lost all credibility by saying "In fact, aside of the Quinnen Williams-led interior defensive line." There isn't one person who covers football professionally that thinks that DL was led by Quinnen Williams. Just more click-bait, ignore and move on folks. 

at least he didn’t say Leo.... but if not Leo, not QW then who???  This team is frustrating.   

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  But my point is not that the team won't be better.  Only that the schedule will be significantly tougher.  This could very well be a much better team this year, yet the final record could still be 7-9 or 6-10 even in that instance.

The dreaded strength of schedule excuse

Because as we all know, using teams winning percentages from a year ago are a sure fire way to determine strength of schedule

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I know that you’re probably the most negative poster here (and that’s saying something), but what do you think JD should have done that he didn’t do to build a winning roster and/or one that will fail? Overpay in FA? Pay Adams 17-20M a year? He tried to re-sign Robby who signed for the same $ elsewhere. Most of the “experts” said the Jets had the best, or one of the best drafts this year including perennial Jet haters. So what else should he have done? If you want to say he didn’t try to build a winner, tell us what exactly you would have done differently if you were the GM?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

41 minutes ago, billo83 said:

I know that you’re probably the most negative poster here (and that’s saying something), but what do you think JD should have done that he didn’t do to build a winning roster and/or one that will fail? Overpay in FA? Pay Adams 17-20M a year? He tried to re-sign Robby who signed for the same $ elsewhere. Most of the “experts” said the Jets had the best, or one of the best drafts this year including perennial Jet haters. So what else should he have done? If you want to say he didn’t try to build a winner, tell us what exactly you would have done differently if you were the GM?

I’ve been over this many times.  

im not sure what “over pay” means. Free agency is what the market will bare. Yes, they could have signed Conklin, could have signed Jason Peters. could have kept Shell and/or beachum (both upgrades over Fant)  Should have absolutely kept Robby for sure (he got more than the Jets offered) 

should not have traded our only all-pro. There were definitely trades that could have happened to bette the team as well.  I’ve gone over this so many times.  

Look, I get it. He’s rebuilding and I’m okay with it.  But let’s just all recognize what’s going on. 
for me, you rebuild to get your QB.  Then it’s about finding a way to put the best team around him.  We have our QB For three years and have yet to truly make an attempt to give him quality weapons and protection.  

now, this draft he seemed to begin the process of building an NFL offense but it just might be too late for Sam. This year is a rebuilding year, one in which we have to hope the rookies and high risk FA’s pan out.  And Sam doesn’t get killed. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’ve been over this many times.  

im not sure what “over pay” means. Free agency is what the market will bare. Yes, they could have signed Conklin, could have signed Jason Peters. could have kept Shell and/or beachum (both upgrades over Fant)  Should have absolutely kept Robby for sure (he got more than the Jets offered) 

should not have traded our only all-pro. There were definitely trades that could have happened to bette the team as well.  I’ve gone over this so many times.  

Look, I get it. He’s rebuilding and I’m okay with it.  But let’s just all recognize what’s going on. 
for me, you rebuild to get your QB.  Then it’s about finding a way to put the best team around him.  We have our QB For three years and have yet to truly make an attempt to give him quality weapons and protection.  

now, this draft he seemed to begin the process of building an NFL offense but it just might be too late for Sam. This year is a rebuilding year, one in which we have to hope the rookies and high risk FA’s pan out.  And Sam doesn’t get killed. 

You still dont get it.  We used to spend millions of dollars in FA and would always regret it.  Douglas is playing it smart by building through the draft while keeping flexibility for when it makes more sense.  Also you seem upset that we traded Adams.  This was a guy who publicly said he wanted to be traded and was a cancer. We were able to dupe a team into overpaying for him.? Shouldn’t that make you happy? I know you are negative for the sake of being negative but you are supposed to be a Jet fan correct?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mayfield is learning a new system, yes, but there's no way he's as bad as he was last year either.  System changes are overrated as a reason for a QB to do worse.  Often those new systems are beneficial.  

And like I said earlier in the thread, Brady was QB18 last season.  The dropoff from aging Brady to healthy Cam isn't that great.

Cam has SUCKED the last 5 years. Why would anyone think he will either play well or stay healthy?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eh.  No, not really.  Darnold is in Year 3 of his rookie deal.  Next year is the first one where we can start negotiating a new deal.  Only if Darnold is not "the guy" would it be good for the team to bottom out this year.  Those 2 things will go hand in hand in that sense.  A great season = Darnold is the guy and we need to pay him.  An awful year = time to consider looking elsewhere.  

But there was really no other way Douglas could have played this.  A big free agent spending spree is almost always ill-advised.  The only time it is justified is if you have an established core and can go out and spend big on a couple important pieces.  Spending in our situation would have been Macc-esque; trying to turn a 5-11 roster into an 8-8 record.  No thanks.  

I think we see the same things. Going out and spending big wasn’t going to be a good move this year.

Instead we shed some dead weight, signed some mid and low tier offensive lineman and loaded up on future draft capital. And we didn’t  have that attractive of a roster when the offseason began. 

So I don’t think it’s so unreasonable for us to labeled as the weakest roster. We’re all potential at this point, with very few proven commodities. 

That’s not a terrible place to be in what will be remembered as the COVID Year. 

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because we played by the easiest schedule in the NFL, and everyone knows it. 

And it was actually even easier than it would appear on the surface.  SOS only reflects record.  It doesn't reflect that we faced the Bills when they were resting their starters, the Steelers with their 3rd string QB, and the Cowboys with an injury-riddled lineup.

True, the Jets were dealing with a ton of injuries as well, all season.  But that says nothing about the schedule strength.  

That 6-2 second half isn't going to magically carry over into 2020.  It'll come to a screeching halt against Buffalo in Week 1 and SF in Week 2.  Those are 2 vastly better rosters.

We'll take our lumps in 2020.  Things will get much better in 2021, however.

Last year The most injured teams in the NFL during the 2019 regular season were the Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars, and New York Jets. 

https://www.mangameslost.com/nfl-2019-regular-season-games-missed-due-to-injury-and-injury-metrics/

You just cant discount the SOS because of injury when we were more injured than the teams we played

6 hours ago, Claymation said:

If the browns don’t make the playoffs this year with that roster the blame will fall entirely on Mayfield and rightfully so

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's possible

the thing is one has to make memorable statements for another to remember them and throw them back 

could the Jets win more than I expect? Sure if they keep a bubble and everyone gets sick, anything can happen this season 

maybe they end up with darnold the only healthy starting QB in the AFC... 

but assuming everyone suffers the same amount of attrition the Jets have less depth to spare than other teams 

We went back and forth oN wins and losses.  I think you were at 3 wins or something stupid. 

My belief is that JD really likes Darnold, which is why he came NY. He did draft Becton and Mims to help Sam. He traded away a box safety for picks to find a CB/WR/OL/Edge.

JD just started cultivating the roster.

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And the patriots won 6 Super Bowls with no stat guys.  Your point?

Tom Brady was one of the best fantasy qbs for years. Welker, Edelman, Moss all good fantasy stats. Gronkowski was going in the first round of  especially in PPR for Moss and Edelman. Gronkowski was going in the FIRST ROUND of fantasy drafts for a stretch there. If the Pats employed two or even three RBs in a season instead of the usual seventeen,  THEY would be one of the top RBs. You do understand that you get fantasy points for TD's and yards, correct?

Your turn.

You guys are such wimps. Miami BEAT the Pats in Gillette to close the season & force them on the road in the playoffs. 
We beat Dallas. How many of these idiots would say the Jets would beat Dallas last year?

The NFL isn’t that good. Protect Sam, and Sam protect the ball & your in every game you play. Are the Jets a finished product? Of course not but we have the ammo now to make hay over the next 2 years but that’s not to say our goal isnt to win he AFC East division. 
My god, man up boys! The Niners won’t have Deebo Samuel for that 2nd game. And they won’t be running on the Jets. Fant went up against Bosa last year. We have good special teams & they are coming East for a 1:00PM game (10:00 AM PST). 
Perriman + Mims + Crowder + Herndon + Bell + Gore is better or as good as what Seattle/Rams/Cards had last year. And the Niners split with all 3 of those teams last year, losing all 3 of their 2nd game with them.