SI: The Machinery Is in Motion to Postpone the 2020 College Football Season

Lith

39 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Oh, cut the crap. 

TX, AZ and FLA  are not past any peaks.  As was pointed out previously, the CDC prints death statistics from Covid which is delayed for 8 weeks or more, so if you check the numbers from three weeks ago, many deaths are not yet recorded.  This is because the numbers are not recorded until the death certificate comes through, which needs to processed and signed by the state and can take months. Using this incomplete information leads to a graph which perpetually seems to be improving.  Until you check back three weeks later and find out that your numbers were low then because more death certificates have finally come through so there are more deaths recorded now for those weeks.

Using this deception, you have smelled up this issue for months.  Why don't you take a break or something and try to figure out some way to restore your reputation on the board?  Because for now it's in bad shape.

Right ,  Clearly you are well informed on this topic and having the audacity to describe the graphs below as  "seems to be past their peak" is fallacious on my part.  Thank you for setting the me and the board straight.

And I'm well aware of how deaths are added, as well as the games played with just looking at cases. However, I was referring to hospital data.

Az is most past it's peak per hospital data, Florida the least, Texas is in the middle. I'll do texas because it's not worth the time to try and do all three  and you likely won't believe what you don't want to hear anyway.

Below is actual state hospitalization records from 7/1- 8/9 from Texas covid site. What does that humpy thing in the middle look like to you? Kinda like a peak to me that they've know bounced off of by like 20-25%

You'll need to download the ss and make your own graph if you want to double check me but it's publicly available data.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata.aspx

image.png.0a6a5a6e4efba4fc1b2e75474181e870.png

Cases for fun (worldometer) although the peak is just before the hospital peak

image.png.516b04ee8d50dc0fa38482f5d9688d6f.png

Deaths(worldometer) for fun. I'm aware they lag but the death peak seems to be just after the hospital peak. Weird

image.png.5b86ef1760a3d545a88f83bbbd2e1cd0.png

• Upvote 1

Issue for all these schools is liability insurance. If a player gets hurt, school picks up the whole tab. My son had the same shoulder surgeon as Gronkowski, covered 100% by the school, since it was either hurt in practice or a game. But have yet to hear anyone explain if they would cover a player getting infected either in practice or a game. Now personally-as a parent of  a D2 player looking at his senior and final season- think physically fit college age football players are probably not much at risk. But I am not a coach, nor a college president, nor an insurance executive nor an actuary. This is all uncharted territory. And those are all people that figure to be risk averse .

Nonetheless possible D1 could salvage some kind of season starting after...November 4th! Know there will be plenty and thorough testing. And even D2 right now is planning on practicing even though right now the NCAA is saying it won't sanction a D2 season. 

Not a fan of interesting times. This totally sucks. 

Update; literally 5 minutes ago; some D2 conferences have in fact not ruled out a spring season not sanctioned by the NCAA, assuming certain thresholds and testing protocols are satisfied.  There could be a conference champion, if there is no D2 tournament. Could the Big 5 power conferences do something like that, and get the networks and bowls on board?  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Update; literally 5 minutes ago; some D2 conferences have in fact not ruled out a spring season not sanctioned by the NCAA, assuming certain thresholds and testing protocols are satisfied.  There could be a conference champion, if there is no D2 tournament. Could the Big 5 power conferences do something like that, and get the networks and bowls on board?  

As in they'd be playing during the NFL draft in April?

If so, don't think NFL teams would appreciate their newly picked players playing in so other games.

Plus, when would the season end?  Would there be time for players to rest before NFL camp starts up?

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Right ,  Clearly you are well informed on this topic and having the audacity to describe the graphs below as  "seems to be past their peak" is fallacious on my part.  Thank you for setting the me and the board straight.

And I'm well aware of how deaths are added, as well as the games played with just looking at cases. However, I was referring to hospital data.

Az is most past it's peak per hospital data, Florida the least, Texas is in the middle. I'll do texas because it's not worth the time to try and do all three  and you likely won't believe what you don't want to hear anyway.

Below is actual state hospitalization records from 7/1- 8/9 from Texas covid site. What does that humpy thing in the middle look like to you? Kinda like a peak to me that they've know bounced off of by like 20-25%

You'll need to download the ss and make your own graph if you want to double check me but it's publicly available data.

https://dshs.texas.gov/coronavirus/additionaldata.aspx

image.png.0a6a5a6e4efba4fc1b2e75474181e870.png

Cases for fun (worldometer) although the peak is just before the hospital peak

image.png.516b04ee8d50dc0fa38482f5d9688d6f.png

Deaths(worldometer) for fun. I'm aware they lag but the death peak seems to be just after the hospital peak. Weird

image.png.5b86ef1760a3d545a88f83bbbd2e1cd0.png

People don't like facts and data around here. They just accept the fear the media portrays. There's no reason why there shouldn't be college football. The data tells us that kids 25 and under are at very low risk.

Theres been less than 300 corona related deaths in the USA from kids under 24 years old. In comparison, if you look at total # of deaths for people under 24 and there have been over 25,000 deaths. So 99% of kids in that age group are dieing from something other than Corona.

College kids have a greater chance of dieing in a car accident driving to the stadium than from corona virus. 

2 hours ago, CTM said:

What does the humpy   thing in the middle mean? 

28 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

People don't like facts and data around here. They just accept the fear the media portrays. There's no reason why there shouldn't be college football. The data tells us that kids 25 and under are at very low risk.

Theres been less than 300 corona related deaths in the USA from kids under 24 years old. In comparison, if you look at total # of deaths for people under 24 and there have been over 25,000 deaths. So 99% of kids in that age group are dieing from something other than Corona.

College kids have a greater chance of dieing in a car accident driving to the stadium than from corona virus. 

A big problem imo is the media is off the rails as it's become a political issue..  Still, I do get the instinct to side on the better safe than sorry end of the spectrum, what I don't understand is how some get hostile and willfully blind to it when there is positive news.

3 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Not so weird.  As this tweet illustrates, Texas has just recently switched to using the ol' death certificate dodge to prevent the quick recording of deaths.  Death certificates are not processed until a few days-or a few weeks-after the person dies, so the death is not recorded for a few days or a few weeks, so the graph of the daily death toll seems to show the number of deaths going down recently.  This happens even though the people are dying so fast, they have to hire trucks to pile the stiffs in because the hospital morgue is overloaded.

What would however be weird is to have deaths continue to go up when hospitalizations are off their peak by 20-25%. Wonder how that trick will work.

But I wouldn't fret, I'm sure CNN will be making apocalyptic predictions for the midwest soon 

• Upvote 1

The Iowa players(from what I understand nearly all of them) and parents are trying to arrange a meeting with the university president tomorrow to let it be clear that they as students and parents want the season to be played.

I doubt it changes anything, but I would imagine this will happen elsewhere too.

The below tweet from the Texas State Government show that Texas has adopted the ol' dodge of using death certificates to supply the information for daily death tolls.  Since death certificates take days or weeks to get processed, the deaths do not get posted right away, so the latest days do not get a full count of how many people died from Covid yesterday, the day before, or even 3 weeks ago.

This makes for a daily death chart which shows a downward trend, even though the people are dying from Covid so fast the hospitals have to hire trucks to pile the stiffs in since they ran out of room in the morgue.  In other words, the graphs are not only off, they are designed to be off.

Texas death updates.png

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

You do realize those kids under 25 you think are immune to coronavirus will interact with older people like their parents, college faculty and other people who are succeptible to dying from coronavirus?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

What would however be weird is to have deaths continue to go up when hospitalizations are off their peak by 20-25%. Wonder how that trick will work.

But I wouldn't fret, I'm sure CNN will be making apocalyptic predictions for the midwest soon

Well, if the national numbers on deaths have been shown to be doctored to make a graph showing deaths slowing when they are not, and even you admit they have.

And the Texas state government-which up until recently was maintaining that Covid was not a big deal and so state mask laws were unnecessary-has just changed its method of counting deaths to correspond to the national method.

Why are you so sure the hospitalization numbers are accurately compiled?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CTM said:

Deaths are going up with hospitalizations going down because fewer people are employed and have money to pay for insurance and hospitalizations 

If you’re an older unemployed person with no health coverage and get the Rona and have comorbidities like diabetes and high blood pressure guess what you’re dying the cheapest way possible alone in your home

• Upvote 1

Just now, kelticwizard said:

Well, if the national numbers on deaths have been shown to be doctored to make a graph showing deaths slowing when they are not, and even you admit they have.

And the Texas state government-which up until recently was maintaining that Covid was not a big deal and so state mask laws were unnecessary-has just changed its method of counting deaths to correspond to the national method.

You admit games are being played to under report deaths, but swear by hospitalization numbers.  Why?

Fuzzy math I suppose

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You do realize those kids under 25 you think are immune to coronavirus will interact with older people like their parents, college faculty and other people who are succeptible to dying from coronavirus?

College is optional. If people are scared to go, they don't have to. If the faculty doesn't want to work, They can quit. Can't live inside in fear for the rest of your life 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kelticwizard said:

You admit games are being played to under report deaths, but swear by hospitalization numbers.  Why?

Games are being played all over the place with case counts, deaths, hospital bed usage, either to inflate or deflate numbers for political purposes

I don't know that  hospitalization counts is going to be lied about though, its a pretty hard number and in this case they are corroborated in multiple systems:

Here's TMC, a privately run collection of non profits which is one of the largest medical centers in the world based in Houston.

Maybe even more telling though is the media has gotten a lot more quiet about it form 2-4 weeks ago

image.thumb.png.0bcc6ff93a019c3b329ca6984e9bbfa6.png

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Deaths are going up with hospitalizations going down because fewer people are employed and have money to pay for insurance and hospitalizations 

If you’re an older unemployed person with no health coverage and get the Rona and have comorbidities like diabetes and high blood pressure guess what you’re dying the cheapest way possible alone in your home

what lol.. so 2 weeks ago they had money/insurance and now they don't? It changed that quickly ?? I can't believe you are making this point seriously. Not to mention cases are going down and deaths are now starting to go down + the media is howling about it less.

edit: ahh whatever, this is ridiculous. You guys don't want to know what you don't want to hear. 

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

Games are being played all over the place with case counts, deaths, hospital bed usage, either to inflate or deflate numbers for political purposes

I don't know that  hospitalization counts is going to be lied about though, its a pretty hard number and in this case they are corroborated in multiple systems:

Here's TMC, a privately run collection of non profits which is one of the largest medical centers in the world based in Houston.

Maybe even more telling though is the media has gotten a lot more quiet about it form 2-4 weeks ago

image.thumb.png.0bcc6ff93a019c3b329ca6984e9bbfa6.png

Most hospitals in Major American cities will have only 30-60 inpatient beds under normal circumstances.  They aren’t staffed or equipped to handle more than that

So even if your graphs are correct it still indicates a major problem that is completely overwhelming our hospitals

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

what lol.. so 2 weeks ago they had money/insurance and now they don't? It changed that quickly ?? 

Yes. After all 1/3 of all American households were suddenly unable to make rent and mortgage payments this month. If you can’t afford $1k to pay your rent because you lost your McJob and have no savings where are you getting the money to pay a $500 insurance premium?

• Upvote 1