UntouchableCrew

If Matt Ryan were a Jet...

Random thought experiment.

In Week 17 of the 2007 NFL season the 3-12 Jets defeated the 4-11 Chiefs in overtime in an utterly meaningless game. It dropped them to 6th in the 2008 draft where they selected Vernon Gholston rather than Matt Ryan who would have been available where they would have picked had they lost.

If Matt Ryan were a Jet -- and the had essentially the same resume for the Jets that he's had for the Falcons (i.e. don't try to project him as the QB of Rex's teams, just think about what he's actually accomplished) how would Jets fans feel about him?

He'd arguably be the most accomplished QB in Jets history and easily the best since Namath -- league MVP, 4x Pro Bowler, 1x First Team All Pro, Offensive Player of the Year, Rookie of the Year. But if in his MVP season he lost the Super Bowl after leading 28-3 -- I can't help but feel like that would haunt him even more as a QB for the Jets than for most other teams.

How do you think he'd be viewed by the fanbase? Would he be revered? Would be be thought of as an underachieving choker? Obviously it's tough in a fake scenario like this with no context but I was just wondering about this as I was thinking about different QBs legacies.

I've said it before -- if the Jets made it to the Super Bowl and lost after leading 28-3 I don't think I'd ever get over it (even if they won the following year.) But I'm curious how Jets fans would view an MVP who got them there and couldn't seal it.  

• Sad 1

Jets fans would have flown planes demanding we cut him in Week 4 of his rookie season.

SAR I

• Haha 2

He’s too inconsistent for Jet fans. He’s a pro bowler and top QB but he has bad games so some fans would destroy him and want him traded. 

Was the new met life a dome? Did the Jets go all in on a STUD wr and actually hit? 

Hypotheticals are useless. 

21 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s too inconsistent for Jet fans. He’s a pro bowler and top QB but he has bad games so some fans would destroy him and want him traded. 

He’s better than any QB we’ve had .....  maybe ever, including Joe and it pains me to say that.  That’s sad....  Joe was GREAT for 2 to 3 seasons and won a SB but Ryan has been a starter for 10 years.  

• Upvote 3

Ryan would be considered great.  But I've said this before that I'd rather not even be in a Superbowl than lose after leading 28-3 (wouldn't be Matt Ryan's fault though).

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He’s better than any QB we’ve had .....  maybe ever, including Joe and it pains me to say that.  That’s sad....  Joe was GREAT for 2 to 3 seasons and won a SB but Ryan has been a starter for 10 years.  

I agree but half the fans would still hate him 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah but stomped his own dick into the dirt at his one chance of winning a Super Bowl. Joe guaranteed one and delivered. 

No question but the OC and HC take more blame than Ryan but I’d rather of had him than the parade of BOZOs we have had since 2009.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I agree but half the fans would still hate him 

We are a picky bunch..... we love out Geno, Mark, Josh, FITZ gangbang.  😂

• Upvote 1

If he were a Jet he would have had no time to throw and no one to throw to for large stretches of his career and there would be an active battle online debating whether he'd been hard done by or just a bust. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

No question but the OC and HC take more blame than Ryan but I’d rather of had him than the parade of BOZOs we have had since 2009.  

Agreed. 

23 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yeah but stomped his own dick into the dirt at his one chance of winning a Super Bowl. Joe guaranteed one and delivered. 

It was 100% the HC and OC's fault.  

• Haha 1

The thing about Ryan's reputation is that he never came roaring back after the debacle.  The next year the team went 10-6, (usually the minimum for qualifying for wild card), beat the other wild card and lost the next round.

The following two years they went 9-7 and finished out of the playoffs.

The overall impression is that in one half, the Pats exposed Ryan completely.

If Ryan wants his rep back, he has to win some big games impressively.

43 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Who cares about being a starter for 10 years.  I care about superbowls, and the Jets were 17 point underdogs in one.  Joe Namath, who was the MVP of Super Bowl 3, was the biggest reason we won that game.

I take Joe Namath every day of the week over Mat Ryan.  

I guess that's the difference between us.  I care more about winning the Super Bowl, and it seems you care more about longevity. 

2 minutes ago, Alka said:

Who cares about being a starter for 10 years.  I care about superbowls, and the Jets were 17 point underdogs in one.  Joe Namath, who was the MVP of Super Bowl 3, was the biggest reason we won that game.

I guess that's the difference between us.  I care more about winning the Super Bowl, and it seems you care more about longevity. 

It's pretty obvious from his post that @southparkcpa has literally zero desire to see the Jets win a Superbowl.  I think he doesn't want to see us win, actually.

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Dude....  that was over 50 years ago.   I want a SB too.... but we are run like a manual whore house.  we draft poorly and are managed poorly.   So, my point is NOT to disparage the greatest JET ever But to say Ryan , if he gave us 10 years from 2008 to 2018?  our chances of a SB would have increased 10 fold.  Think of our 2009 to 2012 roster with Matt Ryan.  

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It's pretty obvious from his post that @southparkcpa has literally zero desire to see the Jets win a Superbowl.  I think he doesn't want to see us win, actually.

Yes... I love last place.  SMH.  

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Yes... I love last place.  SMH.  

My post was meant as a joke (related to his comment "I guess that's the difference between us.  I care more about winning the Super Bowl" as if you don't care about winning a Superbowl)

Sorry that it didn't translate as such.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My post was meant as a joke (related to his comment "I guess that's the difference between us.  I care more about winning the Super Bowl" as if you don't care about winning a Superbowl)

Sorry that it didn't translate as such.

I just got back from a 7 hour drive from DC.. a bit tired. maybe I missed it too.  All good brother. 

• Upvote 1

If Matt Ryan’s Falcons don’t blow 28-3 he’s a lock hall of famer don’t @ me

• Upvote 2

He's no Danny Jones. 

One of the most underrated players in the history of the NFL.

Brilliant QB. Wanted him then too.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

He’d be chad 

The Chad is great...

3 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Coincidentally Sam Darnold looks like Matt Ryan at times

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I can’t think of a QB who has been gifted the high quality talent that Atlanta has surrounded Ryan with virtually his entire career.

I think the average #3 WR that Ryan has been able to throw to would be hands down better than ANYTHING that the Jets called their #1 over the entire time Ryan has been in the league.

Also, why the pretty big disparity between Ryan playing at Home, with ATL winning lots of games and then lots of problems winning on the Road?

I would take Namath everyday of the week over Ryan (twice as strong an arm too) in the same way I’d take Dan Marino.  Namath and Marino were practically the same.  In fact Miami had cut ups of Namath analyzing his release and then how fast and far the ball went mirroring cut ups of Marino from the U of Pittsburgh before they drafted him.  Would you debate Ryan over Marino?

I’ll take the fastball guy over the change up guy (Ryan) every day of the week also.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets were up 28-3 in the Super bowl with Matt Ryan as Qb. And lost The only thing it does is replace the Buttfumble. As the Jetsy mantra

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I will say this. I've see  fans on here root for wins when we're 3-10 which is absolutely the stupidest thing I've ever seen. A  7-9 season is worse than a 0-16 because at 7-9 you absolutely suck and pick 15th.

We lost out on so many franchise altering players winning meaningless games in the last 2 weeks of the season.