Why Jets Chris Herndon called lost season a big year of growth

Why Jets’ Chris Herndon called lost season a big year of growth

Updated 7:33 AM; Today 7:33 AM 
The Jets lose to the Texans 29-22

Chris Herndon picks up a first down late in the fourth quarter as the New York Jets host the Houston Texans in NFL action at MetLife Stadium. 12/15/18 East Rutherford, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)John Munson | NJ Advance Media f

Chris Herndon was supposed to take the next step toward becoming an impact NFL player in 2019. One suspension and two injuries later, the tight end’s sophomore campaign was limited to just one game and one catch.

After posting 39 catches for 502 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie in 2018, 2019 was a complete wash for Herndon, who never got the chance to fulfill his potential as a difference maker in the Jets’ offense.

Despite the lost season, Herndon still called 2019 an important year for his growth.

“It was tough. Didn’t go exactly as planned, especially coming off suspension, but it was definitely a big learning year for me,” Herndon said. “Kind of a chance to step back and watch from the outside and also made me appreciate it even more, because that was just a quick view of how fast it can be taken from you. So it wasn’t the best year but I definitely learned a lot from it as well.”

Herndon was suspended for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy, stemming from a guilty plea to a DUI arrest in 2018. After serving a four-game suspension, Herndon suffered a hamstring injury, which delayed his debut until Week 10 in 2019. A ribs injury in that game ended his season.

“Just putting in a lot of work and seeing how how fast it is taken away from me,” Herndon said. “I felt like I was doing the right things to come back from suspension ready, and then had a little fluke accident, and then first game back an injury, so it was definitely tough at first. First couple weeks, kind of accepting that the season for me was done and that I couldn’t be up there with my team, but like I said, it really taught me how fast all this can be taken (away), not taking it for granted, and just have an extreme amount of appreciation to even be out there.”

Given coach Adam Gase’s desire to exploit the middle of the field in the passing game, Herndon was expected to play a major role in the Jets’ offense in 2019, especially after building a rapport with quarterback Sam Darnold when they were both rookies in 2018. 

Herndon declined to get too far ahead of himself in terms of commenting on his potential in the offense in 2020. Without preseason games, he said training camp will about learning as much he can on and off the field.

“We’re just continuing, coming in every day, doing what we’re asked of and, just controlling what we can,” Herndon said. “We can’t control now that there’s no preseason, but I would come into facility each and every day, study, get our bodies in shape and get those mental reps and physical reps on the field and I’m feel like it’ll go well.”

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why Jets’ Chris Herndon called lost season a big year of growth

Updated 7:33 AM; Today 7:33 AM 
The Jets lose to the Texans 29-22

Chris Herndon picks up a first down late in the fourth quarter as the New York Jets host the Houston Texans in NFL action at MetLife Stadium. 12/15/18 East Rutherford, N.J. (John Munson | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)John Munson | NJ Advance Media f

Chris Herndon was supposed to take the next step toward becoming an impact NFL player in 2019. One suspension and two injuries later, the tight end’s sophomore campaign was limited to just one game and one catch.

After posting 39 catches for 502 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie in 2018, 2019 was a complete wash for Herndon, who never got the chance to fulfill his potential as a difference maker in the Jets’ offense.

Despite the lost season, Herndon still called 2019 an important year for his growth  

The proverbial application of Lipstick on a pig answer 

22 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Herndon is not a football player anymore. He’s missed almost 2 years now in his most formative part of his career. I don’t expect a thing out of him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He played his rookie year.

Last year he was in camp but started the year with a suspension, then got hurt.  How is this any different than Mosely who played about a half a game last year and is opting out this year?  Is he no longer a football player.   Bell was out a year. Brady tore his ACL and missed a year.  How are these guys different?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I can't tell you guys how much I love these articles from players who haven't lived up to their expectations for whatever reason having found some profound miracle and newfound love for the game that is sure to somehow make them better. 

Herndon, if he can stay on the field, may end up having a big year, but not playing is not some silver lining. In no way, did it 'help' him become a better player over actually playing. 

• Thumb Down 2

13 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Herndon is not a football player anymore. He’s missed almost 2 years now in his most formative part of his career. I don’t expect a thing out of him.

What kind of fuzzy math did you use to come away with Herndon missing two seasons?
That lead to you thinking he missed two seasons and his career is over 

• Upvote 1

He played his rookie year.
Last year he was in camp but started the year with a suspension, then got hurt.  How is this any different than Mosely who played about a half a game last year and is opting out this year?  Is he no longer a football player.   Bell was out a year. Brady tore his ACL and missed a year.  How are these guys different?

All the guys you referenced missed a year after having established their careers. Herndon missed a large chunk of his rookie and 2nd year. Formative years for a guy who is a slightly above avg prospect. And as for Mosley, yes in 2 years I’ll have zero expectations for him too.

• Thumb Down 2

41 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

All the guys you referenced missed a year after having established their careers. Herndon missed a large chunk of his rookie and 2nd year. Formative years for a guy who is a slightly above avg prospect. And as for Mosley, yes in 2 years I’ll have zero expectations for him too.

What large chunk did he miss in his rookie year? He started 12 games and played in all 16. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I don’t know if correct facts will effect your narrative but Herndon did not miss a big chunk of his rookie year.   Last year he trained and prepped to play, just didn’t play.   

Bless Austin got injured two consecutive years and missed his junior and senior seasons- were those formative years, because he looked pretty good for a guy that’s “ not a football player“.

15 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I don’t know if correct facts will effect your narrative but Herndon did not miss a big chunk of his rookie year.   Last year he trained and prepped to play, just didn’t play.   

Bless Austin got injured two consecutive years and missed his junior and senior seasons- were those formative years, because he looked pretty good for a guy that’s “ not a football player“.

Dont completely blame him....

tenor.gif?itemid=13521624