Dan Patrick:Big 10 cancels Football season

GreekJet

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Any school from the Big 10 that even initiates talks with another conference about joining to play football this year after the league votes to suspend football should be kicked out of the Big 10. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Why? If they want to play they should play.

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They have two firsts in 2022 as well, which would promise to be a loaded draft class even if the 2021 class is weaker.  

Your takes are awful.  Make Bitonti 2008 Again.  

Even forgetting the fact that Jamal Adams was a toxic landfill that was going to be delivering diminishing returns in trade value every year they didn't trade him, the picks next year are still going to be fairly valuable.

It's not like the Jets are the only team that suffers from lack of information or dealing with the fact that players will miss a year of development because there would be no season. If anything, a staff filled with keen evaluators and strong protocols can prove to be a competitive advantage since there is less information freely available.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, bitonti said:

will there even be a CFB season in 2021 after the players unionize etc? 

with all these schools hurting for money, how many will just cancel like UConn or go Div 2,3 etc. 

the Jamal Adams trade only looks amazing if you refuse to believe anything about the world has changed

in a business as usual world, 2 first rounders is awesome

right now everyone but the Jets are signing their veterans because they know these are the last fully trained players the feed is going to supply for a while

the entire CFB model is based on cramming 110k into a stadium 

there might not even be a feed when this is all over 

not like there used to be 

Yeah I don’t know what the Jets were thinking with the Jamaal trade once CFB canceled the season.  Oh wait.....

1 hour ago, GreekJet said:

They will have NFL Thursday-Monday. 

You think so?  That would be awesome if so.  And then when the NFL ends they can start with college football (assuming all goes well and that's a reasonable thing considering the draft and all).  In any case, I'd love an NFL Saturday.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Remember how everyone thought the Jamal Adams HAUL was awesome?

now ask yourself, what's the value of a first round pick when there's no CFB season for these players to develop? 

this is why all the teams (except NYJ) have been paying their stars - guys like CmC, Mahomes, Henry, Garrett... partly to fit in the contracts up front so when the cap reduces slightly they can keep their stars and partly because draft picks without a CFB season aren't worth what they would be in a normal year (or two) and the next few seasons will favor veterans for this reason

or to put it another way for all the mouth breathers out there 

Joe Burrow was a 3rd round pick at this point in the process last season

Cam Newton wasn't in the top 500 players at this point in the process in 2010

Interesting.  I wonder how much the potential effects Covid would have on the college football season affected the Jets' compensation for Jamal.  

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Hmmm Jim Harbaugh posting a statement on twitter saying they want to play... not sure this is over

Saw a tweet that said if Michigan doesn't play this year, it would be the third most disappointing season of Harbaugh's career for UM fans.  :D

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

Sounds like the players are upset and fighting back...

I don't think it matters. 

The decision here is really about liability, IMO. The university doesn't want to be liable for deaths or long term health issues related to an amateur sport. They've been gearing up hoping things would improve and they just haven't.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't think it matters. 

The decision here is really about liability, IMO. The university doesn't want to be liable for deaths or long term health issues related to an amateur sport. They've been gearing up hoping things would improve and they just haven't.

I think it's more due to the fact they cant pack the stadiums. Things have improved. 

when the Jets lose 12 games they will have their own top 5 pick besides the Seattle first rounder at 28

ok since it's so easy and the year doesn't matter, 

make the picks right now 

i want names

after all there's no new information coming in without a season.

there won't be games, there might not be a combine etc. 

so who do you want from last year, get started. 

the point of that exercise 

it's really tough to scout without a season and current 40 times 

you guys don't want to believe that 

it's still true. The Jets have doubled down on college football players who won't be playing college football 

what will guys look like in Apr 2021 compared to how they last played in Dec 2019? 

JD can be a miracle scout he can't find things that don't exist. a guy can be a stud at one point and by 2 years later have no football career. Or vice versa. It's a ton of time to pass without CFB games

And ... the Jets will be one of 32 teams that have to operate under the same conditions. You make it sound - over and over - like the Jets will be the one forced to evaluate talent with less information, and all the other "smart" teams will be doing something else.

It's a sh*t show that all the teams have to deal with.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

Any school from the Big 10 that even initiates talks with another conference about joining to play football this year after the league votes to suspend football should be kicked out of the Big 10. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

There is just no shame in some when it comes to money. We talking about money, money ? 

• Sympathy 1

26 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

And ... the Jets will be one of 32 teams that have to operate under the same conditions. You make it sound - over and over - like the Jets will be the one forced to evaluate talent with less information, and all the other "smart" teams will be doing something else.

It's a sh*t show that all the teams have to deal with.

I agree with this statement that doesn't make it smart to buy two tickets to see the sh*tshow, when everyone else is holding one

what if ALL the tickets are bad? or at least worse than previous shows? it's entirely possible. 

where are these guys going to get better>? in the XFL in February?  

every team this offseason paid their stars, even Cleveland paid a pass rusher who was last seen trying to impale Mason Rudolph with his own helmet 

the move in this situation is to pay the star not trade for picks during Covid cancellations 

maybe the Jets know something we all don't and have some sort of master plan 

in other words we better hope the SEC eats everyone's lunch and forms a super conference because without football games, yes it will be hard for EVERYONE to find players next draft. 

1 hour ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Even forgetting the fact that Jamal Adams was a toxic landfill that was going to be delivering diminishing returns in trade value every year they didn't trade him, the picks next year are still going to be fairly valuable.

If anything, a staff filled with keen evaluators and strong protocols can prove to be a competitive advantage since there is less information freely available.

they didn't have to trade him. They don't need to keep 30 million dollars open on the cap. They make these choices and we want to automatically defend them. I understand why they had to trade him at the end, I don't understand how they let it get that bad in the first place.

as for the second statement what makes anyone believe the Jets staff is full of keen evaluators? Last year's 2020 draft was using the Mac scouting department. JD was the only new eyes. They have hired new guys but there's no way to know if this scouting department is any good or not, and there's no way of knowing if the old scouts liked Becton, Mims too or if JD just took their reports and threw them out. 

what I'm trying to say is all these guys can be great scouts 

BUT ONLY IF THERE'S SOMETHING TO SCOUT 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

******* @bitonti so reasonable in some circumstances, such a flaming troll in others. 

Ask yourself the value of Jamal Adams in an aborted season that might not happen.

If only the Jets handled things like smart franchises.  You know, like Carolina and Cleveland.

The draft will be difficult to judge.  It would be much better to have less opportunities?

there's going to be an NFL season. 100% it's going to happen, no matter how many players get it or not 

there's like 25 billion dollars in tv contracts at stake

Jamal Adams is going to play this year, all year, and probably into the playoffs

the Jets could have taken the AFC East in this the first year without TB12. Instead they announced a tank with that 33 trade and 57 opted out shortly thereafter. 

Cleveland didn't trade Garrett to a contender they paid their best player. Even Cleveland did it. 

meanwhile Carolina signed a real HC Rhule, and the Jets best WR in Anderson. yes I wish I were a Carolina fan. that franchise wants to win. Cleveland is a tougher sell but the difference is those fans know they stink and expectations are kept low

Being a Jets fan is like having the expectations of a late 90's Yankees fan, while rooting for a franchise more poorly run than Cleveland. Or at least it's a toss-up. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

now ask yourself, what's the value of a first round pick when there's no CFB season for these players to develop? 

this is why all the teams (except NYJ) have been paying their stars - guys like CmC, Mahomes, Henry, Garrett... partly to fit in the contracts up front so when the cap reduces slightly they can keep their stars and partly because draft picks without a CFB season aren't worth what they would be in a normal year (or two) and the next few seasons will favor veterans for this reason

So that means a our two 3rd round picks could be home runs. It works both ways. Also, the majority of players that are projected to be top 10 players stay in the first round. There will most likely be a spring season, so players can be evaluated then. There will also be a combine. The best scouts will do really well.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's going to be an NFL season. 100% it's going to happen, no matter how many players get it or not 

Jamal Adams is going to play this year, all year, and probably into the playoffs

the Jets could have taken the AFC East in this the first year without TB12. Instead they announced a tank with that 33 trade and 57 opted out shortly thereafter. 

Cleveland didn't trade Garrett to a contender they paid their best player. Even Cleveland did it. 

meanwhile Carolina signed a real HC Rhule, and the Jets best WR in Anderson. yes I wish I were a Carolina fan. that franchise wants to win. Cleveland is a tougher sell but the difference is those fans know they stink and expectations are kept low

Being a Jets fan is like having the expectations of a late 90's Yankees fan, while rooting for a franchise more poorly run than Cleveland. Or at least it's a toss-up. 

Oh boy. So many things that I can poke holes in - where to start? First of all, if our best player was a pass rusher we would have signed him to a long term deal, whether he was a big mouth that rubbed his teammates the wrong way or not. Robbie won't reach his production he had on the Jets next year - he's not even in the top few options in Carolina and their Qb isn't known to throw a really good deep ball. We are better off at receiver with Mims and Perriman. Mosely opted out for very different reasons - losing Jamal was not one of them, or he's not the player I thought he was.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

So scouts didnt see players playing a year ago?  

They cant see talent from the one or two years of scouting and tape? 

Its thew same silly point you tried to make right after the trade

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yep,.  The Jets are tanking. They traded a malcontent that has been begging to get off the team since last October.  An ILB that played 30 snaps last opted out.  How will they survive?  FWIW, Carolina won 5 games last season.  The Browns won 6.  Excuse me if I am not thrilled with the Panthers huge pickup of Teddy Bridgewater. and low expectations as reasons these teams are better off than the Jets.

• Upvote 2

Carolina wants to win.  Sounds very exciting.  Always good to get on the bandwagon early.  

4 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Problem for NCAA sports is every college president's nightmare is having a player get sick or a widespread outbreak on a campus. These are the guys in charge, they are money managers above all, and they got their jobs by being very risk averse. Managing risk means making sure you don't have alumni and press in 2 years hence, should some students get sick or even die, asking how could they have allowed sports under these conditions. That is how you lose such a great job, to say nothing of insurance and liability issues. If you are expecting such men and women to say phvkc it, let's play some football, you are talking about the wrong group of people. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If you only listened to the media you'd think these players were forced to play football against their will. Many of these guys love playing and know they aren't going to play in the NFL. 

Very true. You only get so many seasons and so many games. 

• Upvote 1