Did someone say Safety???

e12e2e3948f722d05888a76a8100d642.gif

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-safety-not-cornerback-free-agent

Logan Ryan, still a free agent, views himself as safety, not CB

Published: Aug 10, 2020 at 04:05 PM

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Free agent Logan Ryan doesn't see himself as a cornerback any longer.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Ryan views himself as a safety moving forward.

To underscore that desire, his agent emailed all 32 GMs safety stats so as to compare Ryan's production to others at the position.

Free agent Logan Ryan views himself as a safety, rather than the cornerback he’s generally listed as. To that end, his agent emailed all 32 GMs these top safety stats and asked them to compare his production. An interesting discussion to be sure as one of the top FAs looms.

A corner by trade, it's smart for Ryan to shop himself as a multifaceted chess piece to defenses. In a year where depth and versatility could prove massively beneficial, Ryan's ability to play multiple positions could prove worthwhile for several clubs.

Last year, Ryan 855 snaps at slot corner, including playoffs, 243 at wide corner, 180 in the box and 22 at free safety, per Pro Football Focus. Obviously, Ryan's stats would be different, given that he lined up in a different location than most free safeties that were on the comparison list.

The question is whether touting his versatility will get Ryan the type of contract he's seeking. Rapoport reported back in March that the defensive back was seeking $10 million per year.

Spending months on the open market has changed the position for which Ryan believes he might be best suited this season. Whether that change lands him a high-paying gig as we approach the 2020 season remains to be seen. Given the uncertainty this season is sure to bring, reminding teams of the type of versatility Ryan can bring to the table can't hurt.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your reminder of Logan Ryan's superior stats last season when compared to Jamal Adams:

Ryan:

• 73 Solo Tackles (113 total)
  • 4 INTs
  • 4.5 Sacks
  • 4 Forced Fumbles
  • 18 Pass Deflections

Adams

• 61 Solo Tackles (75 total)
  • 1 INT
  • 6.5 Sacks
  • 2 Forced Fumbles
  • 7 Pass Deflections

Ryan remains unemployed.

Youre obsessed beyond belief 

Are you even hinting that Ryan is comparable to Adams by using his stats compiled as a CB?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Are you even hinting that Ryan is comparable to Adams by using his stats compiled as a CB?

DBs are DBs.  If anything, Adams should be getting more tackles and picks as a safety

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Honestly, those stats aren’t comparable because Ryan’s are so much better. Like comparing Quinnen Williams’ stats to Joey Bosa’s.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Did someone say Safety???

e12e2e3948f722d05888a76a8100d642.gif

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-safety-not-cornerback-free-agent

Logan Ryan, still a free agent, views himself as safety, not CB

Published: Aug 10, 2020 at 04:05 PM

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Free agent Logan Ryan doesn't see himself as a cornerback any longer.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that Ryan views himself as a safety moving forward.

To underscore that desire, his agent emailed all 32 GMs safety stats so as to compare Ryan's production to others at the position.

Free agent Logan Ryan views himself as a safety, rather than the cornerback he’s generally listed as. To that end, his agent emailed all 32 GMs these top safety stats and asked them to compare his production. An interesting discussion to be sure as one of the top FAs looms.

A corner by trade, it's smart for Ryan to shop himself as a multifaceted chess piece to defenses. In a year where depth and versatility could prove massively beneficial, Ryan's ability to play multiple positions could prove worthwhile for several clubs.

Last year, Ryan 855 snaps at slot corner, including playoffs, 243 at wide corner, 180 in the box and 22 at free safety, per Pro Football Focus. Obviously, Ryan's stats would be different, given that he lined up in a different location than most free safeties that were on the comparison list.

The question is whether touting his versatility will get Ryan the type of contract he's seeking. Rapoport reported back in March that the defensive back was seeking $10 million per year.

Spending months on the open market has changed the position for which Ryan believes he might be best suited this season. Whether that change lands him a high-paying gig as we approach the 2020 season remains to be seen. Given the uncertainty this season is sure to bring, reminding teams of the type of versatility Ryan can bring to the table can't hurt.

You didn’t hear? The jets are loaded at safety post Adams trade

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

CBs aren't supposed to get Sacks or Forced Fumbles.

Logan Ryan does.  Twice as many FFs as Adams, in fact.

He also got 4.5 Sacks on just 40 blitz attempts.  Jamal's 6.5 took 90 blitz attempts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, those stats are indicative of safety play as much as anything.  A CB has more tackles and forced fumbles than our box safety.

Nice job of making Adams look even worse.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He also got 4.5 Sacks on just 40 blitz attempts.  Jamal's 6.5 took 90 blitz attempts.

Thats total nonsense.

Adams isnt a CB, dont know what a CB has to do with a SS and why we're comparing one to another

Logan Ryan continues to try to sell himself.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-on-wanting-to-be-seen-as-a-safety-i-m-similar-to-a-tyrann-mathieu

Logan Ryan on wanting to be seen as a safety: I'm 'similar to a Tyrann Mathieu'

Published: Aug 13, 2020 at 10:26 AM

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Free-agent defensive back Logan Ryan wants to be viewed by potential suitors as a safety. More than anything, the goal is to sign in a place where his multifaceted ability can be utilized in a winning fashion.

Ryan is coming off a season in which he earned four INTs, four forced fumbles, 113 tackles, four tackles for loss, eight QB hits, and 4.5 sacks. The 29-year-old joined NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Thursday to discuss why he'd like to be seen as a safety rather than a cornerback.

"Look at the numbers -- 100 tackles, four sacks, four forced fumbles, the pass break-ups, the INTs. I just feel like that's not really possible too much at just playing corner, so could a team move me around a lot?" Ryan said. "... I was a versatile player, a matchup guy, similar to a Tyrann Mathieu, maybe a Justin Simmons. I feel like that was more the position I was playing last year for Dean Pees, as opposed to a true traditional corner, so it's hard to compare me to that."

Last week, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Ryan's agent sent out a list of the CB's stats compared to other top safeties in the NFL. While we pointed out it's difficult to compare stats given where Ryan lined up versus that of other free safeties, Ryan noted that on many of his big plays -- including the playoff pick-six of Tom Brady -- he was playing the role of a safety.

"All the interceptions you're showing (on NFL Network), the Baker Mayfield one, the one against the Colts, even the Tom Brady interception, I'm playing safety in all those clips," Ryan said of the B-roll playing over his interview. "...Clearly, it's a little grey area. I think I'm a little bit of an outlier when it comes to corner or safety, but all those highlights you showed, they're all safety highlights."

Ryan wouldn't be the first corner to move to safety. It's a move many Hall of Fame players have made to prolong their careers after losing a step. The would-be safety mentioned looking up to the likes of Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber and Champ Bailey as all-time players who made the transition.

"When I came in the game eight years ago, no doubt I was more of a perimeter corner," Ryan said. "I got drafted to do it. I started games for New England, tons of them, on the outside matching up with (DeAndre) Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas and guys like that. But Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber, Champ Bailey, those are my idols. Those are my guys I model my game after. I work on my pass-rushing. I work on playing the nickel position. I've matched up with running backs, I've matched up the top tight ends, and I've matched with some of the receivers. So how could you say he plays this one position?

"That's what Charles Woodson, when he won Defensive Player of the Year, I think he opened my eyes to that, like this dude can make an impact covering the (Alvin) Kamaras and the (Christian) McCaffreys, covering the (Travis) Kelces and the (Darren) Wallers and also covering the Michael Thomases and the top receivers. So, they moved that guy around. I don't know what he labeled himself as. I don't think labels really help Charles Woodson. I don't think labels really tell the true story of Logan Ryan. ... I think Dean Pees, a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator in my opinion, moved me around from week to week in order to make an impact in order to get the guy with the ball, tackle it, go punch it out or go intercept it. How can we put you in a position to make plays? And that's what I was able to do."

Marketing himself as a safety is smart business for Ryan, especially as he loses a step on the outside.

In a year in which the COVID-19 pandemic threatens to potentially upend entire position groups, players with versatility like Ryan should be coveted. The veteran defensive back finding a landing spot could come down to money. Rapoport reported back in the spring that Ryan was seeking $10 million per year on a new deal. It's uncertain whether that desire has come down in the months he's been without a team.

"I would sign today if the right opportunity came across the table," Ryan said.

On 8/10/2020 at 11:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Stop stating facts dammit.  

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Logan Ryan continues to try to sell himself.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-on-wanting-to-be-seen-as-a-safety-i-m-similar-to-a-tyrann-mathieu

Logan Ryan on wanting to be seen as a safety: I'm 'similar to a Tyrann Mathieu'

Published: Aug 13, 2020 at 10:26 AM

Kevin Patra

Around the NFL Writer

Free-agent defensive back Logan Ryan wants to be viewed by potential suitors as a safety. More than anything, the goal is to sign in a place where his multifaceted ability can be utilized in a winning fashion.

Ryan is coming off a season in which he earned four INTs, four forced fumbles, 113 tackles, four tackles for loss, eight QB hits, and 4.5 sacks. The 29-year-old joined NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Thursday to discuss why he'd like to be seen as a safety rather than a cornerback.

"Look at the numbers -- 100 tackles, four sacks, four forced fumbles, the pass break-ups, the INTs. I just feel like that's not really possible too much at just playing corner, so could a team move me around a lot?" Ryan said. "... I was a versatile player, a matchup guy, similar to a Tyrann Mathieu, maybe a Justin Simmons. I feel like that was more the position I was playing last year for Dean Pees, as opposed to a true traditional corner, so it's hard to compare me to that."

Last week, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Ryan's agent sent out a list of the CB's stats compared to other top safeties in the NFL. While we pointed out it's difficult to compare stats given where Ryan lined up versus that of other free safeties, Ryan noted that on many of his big plays -- including the playoff pick-six of Tom Brady -- he was playing the role of a safety.

"All the interceptions you're showing (on NFL Network), the Baker Mayfield one, the one against the Colts, even the Tom Brady interception, I'm playing safety in all those clips," Ryan said of the B-roll playing over his interview. "...Clearly, it's a little grey area. I think I'm a little bit of an outlier when it comes to corner or safety, but all those highlights you showed, they're all safety highlights."

Ryan wouldn't be the first corner to move to safety. It's a move many Hall of Fame players have made to prolong their careers after losing a step. The would-be safety mentioned looking up to the likes of Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber and Champ Bailey as all-time players who made the transition.

"When I came in the game eight years ago, no doubt I was more of a perimeter corner," Ryan said. "I got drafted to do it. I started games for New England, tons of them, on the outside matching up with (DeAndre) Hopkins and Demaryius Thomas and guys like that. But Charles Woodson, Rod Woodson, Ronde Barber, Champ Bailey, those are my idols. Those are my guys I model my game after. I work on my pass-rushing. I work on playing the nickel position. I've matched up with running backs, I've matched up the top tight ends, and I've matched with some of the receivers. So how could you say he plays this one position?

"That's what Charles Woodson, when he won Defensive Player of the Year, I think he opened my eyes to that, like this dude can make an impact covering the (Alvin) Kamaras and the (Christian) McCaffreys, covering the (Travis) Kelces and the (Darren) Wallers and also covering the Michael Thomases and the top receivers. So, they moved that guy around. I don't know what he labeled himself as. I don't think labels really help Charles Woodson. I don't think labels really tell the true story of Logan Ryan. ... I think Dean Pees, a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator in my opinion, moved me around from week to week in order to make an impact in order to get the guy with the ball, tackle it, go punch it out or go intercept it. How can we put you in a position to make plays? And that's what I was able to do."

Marketing himself as a safety is smart business for Ryan, especially as he loses a step on the outside.

In a year in which the COVID-19 pandemic threatens to potentially upend entire position groups, players with versatility like Ryan should be coveted. The veteran defensive back finding a landing spot could come down to money. Rapoport reported back in the spring that Ryan was seeking $10 million per year on a new deal. It's uncertain whether that desire has come down in the months he's been without a team.

"I would sign today if the right opportunity came across the table," Ryan said.

Notice he used Tyrann Mathieu as his benchmark for what a good safety should be....

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2020 at 10:25 PM, Jet Nut said:

I would say that having more forced fumbles, more tackles and just 2 less sacks (Adam's wonder stat) with less than half as many blitz attempts WHILE PLAYING CB are all pluses for Ryan if you're going to compare the two players...

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Oh, yes it is

Then again you and apparently others think CB is the same position as SS

You're still missing the point. No one is saying they are the same position. The point is that with regards to the stats that a SS should be expected to have higher totals compared to a CB, Ryan either flat out beat Adam's, or came close to it... while playing CB!

Its fair to expect a CB to have more INTs and PD than a SS, so we'll take that out of the conversation, which is definitely to Jamals benefit as that stat is by far the biggest knock against him...

A SS should be expected to have more tackles than a CB. Especially a primarily in the box, run stuffing SS. Ryan (CB) had more tackles than Jamal.

A box SS should always be expected to have more FF than a CB. Ryan (CB) had double the ff that Jamal did. 

The Adam's fan club (you) throws around Jamal's sack numbers like he is LT playing safety. Ryan (Again, CB ) had just TWO less sacks than Adams in less than half the number of blitz attempts. 

You're literally making Adams look worse with your argument, lol. No one is saying SS and CB are the same position.  What we are saying is that Ryan had better SS relevant stats than Adams, WHILE PLAYING CB. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

And SS should almost always have more tackles and INTs

I dont get your point.

He played the game the way his coaches wanted him too.  Got him two pro bowls and an all pro status.  Got him recognized as the best in the league at his position. 

Logan Ryan isnt close to being as good at what he doesn't as Adams is.  Its bad enough when you guys whined about his abilities when he was here, and were dead wrong, but you got what you wanted.  Hes gone.  Compare Logan Ryan to Adams.  A guy who cant find a job with a guy who forced the Jets hand and still brought back two 1s, a 3 and a player.  A player better than Logan Ryan

7 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

You're still missing the point. No one is saying they are the same position. The point is that with regards to the stats that a SS should be expected to have higher totals compared to a CB, Ryan either flat out beat Adam's, or came close to it... while playing CB!

Its fair to expect a CB to have more INTs and PD than a SS, so we'll take that out of the conversation, which is definitely to Jamals benefit as that stat is by far the biggest knock against him...

A SS should be expected to have more tackles than a CB. Especially a primarily in the box, run stuffing SS. Ryan (CB) had more tackles than Jamal.

A box SS should always be expected to have more FF than a CB. Ryan (CB) had double the ff that Jamal did. 

The Adam's fan club (you) throws around Jamal's sack numbers like he is LT playing safety. Ryan (Again, CB ) had just TWO less sacks than Adams in less than half the number of blitz attempts. 

You're literally making Adams look worse with your argument, lol. No one is saying SS and CB are the same position.  What we are saying is that Ryan had better SS relevant stats than Adams, WHILE PLAYING CB. 

Youre missing the point.  The comparison is ridiculous.  Make it all you want and make yourself look ridiculous.  

Anyone who believes a CB should be compared, stats wise to a SS knows absolutely nothing about football.

Whats next, Aaron Donald had more sacks than Adams? 

I've never thrown out sack numbers, so have no clue what youre talking about.  Do find it interesting you brought it up more than once to tell me how little it means and then are pimping the fact Logan Ryan only had two fewer  

You can keep thinking Adams isnt as good as everyone says he is.  You can think youre smarter than everyone who covers or watches the game.  You can dig into some mindless comparison to make yourself feel better but answer this, why is Logan Ryan still unemployed and Adams was bought for a 1.  Another 1.  A 3rd.  And a player who maybe better than Logan Ryan.  You work on that a while.  

Trying to sell the idea that Adams wasn't that good was dumb before he was traded and just plain tiring now that hes been trade.  

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont get your point.

He played the game the way his coaches wanted him too.  Got him two pro bowls and an all pro status.  Got him recognized as the best in the league at his position. 

Logan Ryan isnt close to being as good at what he doesn't as Adams is.  Its bad enough when you guys whined about his abilities when he was here, and were dead wrong, but you got what you wanted.  Hes gone.  Compare Logan Ryan to Adams.  A guy who cant find a job with a guy who forced the Jets hand and still brought back two 1s, a 3 and a player.  A player better than Logan Ryan

You can try to rationalize it all you want there is no way Adams should have comparable stats to Adams if Adams is anything close to what the media makes him out to be

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

You can try to rationalize it all you want there is no way Adams should have comparable stats to Adams if Adams is anything close to what the media makes him out to be

You really dont have a clue do you

You really dont realize that CB and SS are two different positions 

And in your mind, Adams isnt as good as an unemployed CB.  

Gotcha

On 8/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, Jet Nut said:

You really dont have a clue do you

You really dont realize that CB and SS are two different positions 

And in your mind, Adams isnt as good as an unemployed CB.  

Gotcha

They are two different positions.  A safety like Adams is used to stack the box in run support.  Ryan was a cover corner.  Ofcourse Adams should have more tackles.